Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

I started using free weights and machines not too long ago. I have no program and really no idea what I'm doing :smile: For those in the know, how heavy should a 39/f, 5'4", 108lbs, 8-10% bf (caliper/hydrostatic test) lift to get results? I've googled away and asked trainers at my local Q and got different answers. My goal is to look leaner/a little bit of muscle definition. Thanks in advance!

If you're new to lifting, look into a tried and true program.
    New Rules of Lifting For Women
    Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Strong Curves

If none of those appeal to you, try looking on bodybuilding.com for a program. Jamie Eason has some pretty good ones.

Heavy is relative. What is heavy for you may be light for me, while what is heavy for me may be light for the next person. Just start somewhere and work your way up. If you're doing progressive loading, you'll get into heavy lifting soon enough.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I am totally not following any particular program right now and haven't really studied the science. What is working for me right now is sticking with my tri coach's workouts (tri specific challenging cardio) and hitting the weight room hard 3x per week (machines only), progressively increasing my weights, and eating what I want (lots of carbs...needed for activity level, and sufficient protein, adequate fats). I am really happy with my progress so far and think this is the permanent way forward for me. Cutting was too hard!

Doing machines only means you are missing out on the stabilization requirements of free weights. Using machines also means less motor unit recruitment (less bang for your buck).

Yeah, yeah, so folks on here keep telling me. But that's ok, I like the machines and am getting great results. More than 1 way to skin a cat.

You're right that there is more than one way to skin a cat. There is no down side to moving from machines to free weights.
    How about massive scars and muscle damage on your abdomen that make stabilizing your core for squats much more painful than leg press and hack squat machines?

This is an extreme example.

For most people who don't have a pre-existing condition/injury her post is correct.

If you have a medical reason why you have to use a machine - use a machine. Doesn't have to be a bunch of emotion attached to it. It's just training, not religion...

@jimmmer

I wasn't the one preaching about free weights to someone who appeared happy and successful with machines.

I'm not anti-machine.

But I would worry about developing imbalances long-term if the routine was not carefully crafted to ameliorate them. You can end up with prime movers strong and stabilisers weak and this can lead to injury. That's not the machine's fault, it's the fault of the routine (if the routine has the fault). This one poster's claim of "works for me" can't really be investigated except in terms of their long-term (i.e. multi-year) progress. Anything can work for short periods, but does it extend your lifting-life over the long haul?

Sure you still get imbalances with free weight work beyond a certain level, but most beginners will find their stabilisers taken along for the ride due to the nature of learning the form on the lifts. Once you push beyond beginner stage then you need to actively pursue and eliminate weaknesses through assistance work, but by this stage you'll have developed the necessary tissue, and the knowledge, to do it properly one hopes.
  • mich19025
    mich19025 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    mich19025 wrote: »
    mich19025 wrote: »

Thanks for replying. I lift 4 times a week consisting of:

Upper(Barbell squat, stiff leg DL, barbell lunges,calf raises, leg curls/ extension etc)
    Lower(Barbell bench press, military oh press and some dumbell accessories like oh shoulder press)
    Rest or some hiit
    Upper as above
    Lower as above

Always doing 3 sets of 12 and have been adding weight as the last 2 reps get easier. It is really great seeing progress when it comes to upping weight. I just wondered if there was a 'sweet spot' regarding reps so to speak that meant you got the best of both worlds i.e increasing strength as best as I can but still getting the hypertrophy effect.

Thanks again

What about exercises for your upper back, i.e. horizontal and vertical pulling? Rows, pull-ups etc.?

I've got my schedule to hand which is a bit more helpful! This is a routine i've been doing that i pulled from the muscle and strength website and just took for granted it was decent. I am progressing on it too.

Upper1: Barbell Bench Press, DB Row, seated oh db press, pec dec, v bar lat pull down, side lateral raise, cable tri extension. If I've time i'll throw in some single db overhead extensions

Lower1: Barbell Squat, SL deadlift, seated calf raise, leg curl, leg extension, weighted lunges, weighted single leg hip thrusts.

Upper2: incline DB bench press, rack deadlift, military press, chest press (advises machine but I dont like machines so just do it on the bench with dumbells or barbell), shoulder press (again advised machine, i use dumbells) DB curls, tricep dip, tricep extension, 2 handed machine rows. I'm not great with pull ups so was trying to build up some strength by doing the rows? or should i just go for it and dangle there until I can get one? ha.

Lower2: Leg press, SL deadlift, leg press calf raise, weighted lunges, seated leg curl, weighted single leg hip thrusts

Ok, so you do have upper body pulling exercises. The programme hits all the muscle groups and basic movement patterns so as long as you enjoy it and are progressing, you're good. I'm a bit confused about why there's a deadlift variation included in an upper body day, though, so maybe pay attention to how your lower back is feeling—personally, I'd probably replace it with a row (barbell row, inverted row etc.). Rows and pull-downs are good pulling exercises to work towards a pull-up. I still haven't achieved a pull-up either but from what I've read, inverted rows seem to be a good way to progress to pull-ups, and you can also do band-assisted pull-ups. Hanging there, first at the bottom position and as you get stronger, jumping up and holding yourself at the top, as well as negative pull-ups (jump up and lower yourself slowly under control) are also good options. For all these, even when you're just hanging in the bottom position, make sure to really engage all the muscles, especially your back (think about pulling your shoulders down and back) and core, and really try to squeeze that bar.

We do have the assisted pull up and dip machines in my gym so its defo on the to do list! My reasoning for the deadlifts was that the stiff leg deadlift would be targeting the likes of glutes and lower back but maybe the rack is included in upper to target secondary muscles-calves,forearms,, quads, traps. I actually prefer a standard deadlift to the stiff leg. I was a member of a powerlifting gym for 3 months as a total beginner but it closed down and this is me just trying to pick it back up. It was all compound moves-squat, deadlift, bench and overhead press.

I'll maybe try a 12/10/8 or 10/8/6 rep range and see how i get on with increasing strength. Thanks
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I am totally not following any particular program right now and haven't really studied the science. What is working for me right now is sticking with my tri coach's workouts (tri specific challenging cardio) and hitting the weight room hard 3x per week (machines only), progressively increasing my weights, and eating what I want (lots of carbs...needed for activity level, and sufficient protein, adequate fats). I am really happy with my progress so far and think this is the permanent way forward for me. Cutting was too hard!

Doing machines only means you are missing out on the stabilization requirements of free weights. Using machines also means less motor unit recruitment (less bang for your buck).

Yeah, yeah, so folks on here keep telling me. But that's ok, I like the machines and am getting great results. More than 1 way to skin a cat.

You're right that there is more than one way to skin a cat. There is no down side to moving from machines to free weights.
    How about massive scars and muscle damage on your abdomen that make stabilizing your core for squats much more painful than leg press and hack squat machines?

For most people who don't have a pre-existing condition/injury her post is correct.

If you have a medical reason why you have to use a machine - use a machine. Doesn't have to be a bunch of emotion attached to it. It's just training, not religion...

@jimmmer

I wasn't the one preaching about free weights to someone who appeared happy and successful with machines.

I'm not anti-machine.

But I would worry about developing imbalances long-term if the routine was not carefully crafted to ameliorate them. You can end up with prime movers strong and stabilisers weak and this can lead to injury. That's not the machine's fault, it's the fault of the routine (if the routine has the fault). This one poster's claim of "works for me" can't really be investigated except in terms of their long-term (i.e. multi-year) progress. Anything can work for short periods, but does it extend your lifting-life over the long haul?

Sure you still get imbalances with free weight work beyond a certain level, but most beginners will find their stabilisers taken along for the ride due to the nature of learning the form on the lifts. Once you push beyond beginner stage then you need to actively pursue and eliminate weaknesses through assistance work, but by this stage you'll have developed the necessary tissue, and the knowledge, to do it properly one hopes.
    I was editing to add some stuff to my post while you posted this.

Yeah, there are advantages to machines. All other things being equal, machines are almost certainly the way to go. But things aren't always equal. Every once in a while, I'd like to see more "it's cool that's working for you" and less "my way is better than how you're doing it" whether it's free weights vs. machines or eating low carb vs. not or whatever.

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    And, back more on topic, the more I look at myself since hitting my goal weight and moving into maintenance, the more I'm leaning toward a recomp over a bulk, in the short term. I'm already going to basically be recomping from now until school starts again, but I might stay with it longer than that.

It's not a question of adding weight/fat. I can deal with that if that's what I decide to do. It's more a question of being at a reasonable BF% but still with some not so pleasing areas. The thing is, I don't know whether I'm just being overly critical of a body that's orders of magnitude better than the one I had when I started or if it's legit self-criticism.

Decisions, decisions.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

@jimmmer

ETA: And it doesn't take extreme examples. Maybe someone's at a gym without a squat rack and isn't comfortable squatting without one. Or someone doesn't want to deal with finding a spotter or possibly rolling weights off his body when using barbells.

Yeah, free weights have advantages for people who want to use them. That doesn't mean everyone wants to use them and if it makes her less likely to lift, that's a downside to free weights. Heck, I use them for almost everything, but using machines is better than using nothing if that's what the person is comfortable with.

Seem to recall usmcmp saying she's previously broken a hip, tore her ACL, but still squats.
    So exactly how is she being preachy? She's listed nothing but facts to support a method that might help the person save time and improve performance if adopted. The personal already said it is personal preference; if it was prescribed by some kind of physical therapy, I think they'd have said so already.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Have just started recomp so no changes yet. I use a combo of free weights and machines (kind of mixes things up and surprises the muscles). Do 3 X week; one upper pull, one upper push, and one lower/core along w/abt 15 - 20 min cardio.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited June 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

@jimmmer

ETA: And it doesn't take extreme examples. Maybe someone's at a gym without a squat rack and isn't comfortable squatting without one. Or someone doesn't want to deal with finding a spotter or possibly rolling weights off his body when using barbells.

Yeah, free weights have advantages for people who want to use them. That doesn't mean everyone wants to use them and if it makes her less likely to lift, that's a downside to free weights. Heck, I use them for almost everything, but using machines is better than using nothing if that's what the person is comfortable with.

Seem to recall usmcmp saying she's previously broken a hip, tore her ACL, but still squats.
    So exactly how is she being preachy? She's listed nothing but facts to support a method that might help the person save time and improve performance if adopted. The personal already said it is personal preference; if it was prescribed by some kind of physical therapy, I think they'd have said so already.
    @senecarr

And I've had my liver nearly bisected by a burglar with a hunting knife, and I don't squat. Much. I'm not saying she shouldn't. I'm saying that, yeah, there can be downsides to free weights, both physical and psychological. That most people probably get better results with them doesn't matter if they just can't, or don't want to, use them.

When someone writes, "Yeah, yeah, so folks on here keep telling me. But that's ok, I like the machines and am getting great results. More than 1 way to skin a cat." but you keep pressing, no pun intended, free weights, it comes off as preachy to me. If it doesn't to you, that's fine.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

@jimmmer

@senecarr

When someone writes, "Yeah, yeah, so folks on here keep telling me. But that's ok, I like the machines and am getting great results. More than 1 way to skin a cat." but you keep pressing, no pun intended, free weights, it comes off as preachy to me. If it doesn't to you, that's fine.

She followed up once after that with a strong analogy.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

@jimmmer

@senecarr

If it doesn't to you, that's fine.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    blueyellowhorse: Do you have any idea what your body fat percentage is? I believe the recommended body fat percentages were mentioned earlier in the thread (25%? ish). I'm 5'5 and 153 lbs. and I'm guessing 24-26% body fat and starting my recomp now. I'm having a bodpod assessment done in a day or two to get a closer check on my "starting" numbers.

I think I'm at 27%, well maybe 26%. I'm not sure, I think it's higher than that though. :#

The good thing about a recomp is that there is no specific BF% you need to be at to start. The "rule" is to be a healthy weight. BF% doesn't impact a recomp the way it does when you do a bulk. If you're happy at your body weight, then start lifting heavy and eating at maintenance to recomp your body.

Yes. I'm very sorry, I didn't intend to imply that you can't start recomping WHEREVER you want in your journey. I was just so pleased with my own reading comprehension (and it was like... 2:30 in the morning) that I wanted to share what I'd remembered reading. I have recomped at other weights/bf% by accident. I am recomping on purpose at around 25% on purpose this time for aesthetics - and I assume you are too, blueyellowhorse?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

@jimmmer

@senecarr

I get that she's probably uncomfortable with the idea of free weights. I understand there are situations where squatting or benching are going to be tougher with free weights. I also know that she's missing out by not doing any sort of free weights. I wasn't going to "preach" any further to her. If she's satisfied with what she's doing that's fine, but I refuse to sit back and not say anything about the benefits of free weights over machines.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

@jimmmer

@senecarr

If it does to you, that's fine.
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Learned loads reading all this, thanks guys.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Feel free to share stories of recomposition and any research you have seen on it. Ask questions if you have any.

I've gone both ways for various sports performance and/or physique reasons. Here is my experience.

Few years back, dropped down to 190 then bulked up towards 197lbs with heavier lifting and HIIT. My ultimate goal had been weight loss, dropping from over 220lbs, but I wanted to fill in a bit. Of course, in the last year I went back up while enjoying a very holly jolly holiday season, but I wanted to focus more on weight loss for knee health and agility for sports instead of any bulk, so I dropped back down to around 190lbs, which I could really feel the difference on the tennis court.

Anyway, here is the difference. To me, I can see it visually that I was carrying less fat at 197lbs while building than I do now at 192lbs during conditioning. I move better though now at 192lbs than I did at 197lbs, and I really hadn't expected to feel a simple +/- 5 lbs difference, but my knees CERTAINLY know.

Ultimate goal this year is drop another 10 lbs and keep my focus on conditioning and agility, though many would think the bulk/building look and physique is better. That just is not my goal at this point.

6749tawjgvmc.png

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    @Chaelaz Great job! Proof positive. Thanks for sharing. Best of luck on your next goal.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd give a post to share my experience so far with recomp. I've been at it for about 3 months now. The first month I started wasn't a "I want to recomp" as much as it was "I'm traveling most of the month so I'm going to eat at maintenance." Maintenance was so enjoying I just decided to stick with it. My training didn't change from when I was in a deficit to maintenance.

For the most part, I follow Strong Curves (the advanced program in the book). This is my second time going through it. It works and I love how it's set up so I see no need to change. I DO make slight adjustments according to my goals. For example, instead of following the 3x8-12 for bench, I switched to a 5x5 because I'd really like to focus on increasing my bench strength rather than focusing on chest muscle growth. I lowered rep ranges on conventional deadlift as well (the program doesn't include conventional...just RDL and American but I subbed 4 weeks of RDL to do a round of conventional). For those that aren't familiar with Strong Curves, it's a full body program 3 days a week. It's a progressive program as well.

In addition to the 3 days of strength training, I also run 3 days a week and occasionally swim once a week when I have the time. I started biking a couple month back but it was just WAY too much and I saw a significant decrease in energy and strength. Strength training is the priority for me right now so I dropped the biking and only swim when the mood calls. I'd like to do a sprint tri but I think that's really a year down the line at this point with lifting being the priority. I got somewhat passionate about running...until the heat hit...so my reason for running is purely increased calories because I'm only 5'2" and work a desk job so I need the cardio calories to eat the way I want to eat.

I started at 118 pounds. Still 118.

My eating habits are pretty consistent. I do take my calories with a grain of salt because I LOVE to eat out for dinner. However, I'm pretty consistent with the places I eat so the logging is consistent. My daily average is around 1900 to 2100. Because of the eating out estimating, it could be higher...I really don't know. As long as the scale is good week to week, I'm happy. The 1900 typically comes on a cardio day and the 2100 typically comes on a lifting day. I lift in the mornings so I always feel better with a little extra food in me for the day. At this point, a slight surplus isn't going to hurt me since I want these muscles to grow anyway. If I see the scale jump, it's typically always sodium bombs from sushi and mexican. I do a little more protein that you really need and higher fat just because my favorite foods are fatty (avocados and oils + fatty meats). It's my carbs I have to worry about getting.

Same weight but I've lost inches.
    - Half inch of the hips
    - Inch off the thighs
    - I measure my waist at my natural waist and right below my belly button since I hold weight there...inch off that belly button area
    - Half inch off the butt

I wish I measured arms but the change in visible definition is very clear. Visible upper abs are starting to show though (non-existent before), and visible definition in quads are coming through as well.

Recomp is a bit of a pit stop for me because I didn't want to bulk over summer. I plan to start a bulk in September. But recomp has been wonderful!
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    I thought I'd give a post to share my experience so far with recomp. I've been at it for about 3 months now. The first month I started wasn't a "I want to recomp" as much as it was "I'm traveling most of the month so I'm going to eat at maintenance." Maintenance was so enjoying I just decided to stick with it. My training didn't change from when I was in a deficit to maintenance.

For the most part, I follow Strong Curves (the advanced program in the book). This is my second time going through it. It works and I love how it's set up so I see no need to change. I DO make slight adjustments according to my goals. For example, instead of following the 3x8-12 for bench, I switched to a 5x5 because I'd really like to focus on increasing my bench strength rather than focusing on chest muscle growth. I lowered rep ranges on conventional deadlift as well (the program doesn't include conventional...just RDL and American but I subbed 4 weeks of RDL to do a round of conventional). For those that aren't familiar with Strong Curves, it's a full body program 3 days a week. It's a progressive program as well.

In addition to the 3 days of strength training, I also run 3 days a week and occasionally swim once a week when I have the time. I started biking a couple month back but it was just WAY too much and I saw a significant decrease in energy and strength. Strength training is the priority for me right now so I dropped the biking and only swim when the mood calls. I'd like to do a sprint tri but I think that's really a year down the line at this point with lifting being the priority. I got somewhat passionate about running...until the heat hit...so my reason for running is purely increased calories because I'm only 5'2" and work a desk job so I need the cardio calories to eat the way I want to eat.

My eating habits are pretty consistent. I do take my calories with a grain of salt because I LOVE to eat out for dinner. However, I'm pretty consistent with the places I eat so the logging is consistent. My daily average is around 1900 to 2100. Because of the eating out estimating, it could be higher...I really don't know. As long as the scale is good week to week, I'm happy. The 1900 typically comes on a cardio day and the 2100 typically comes on a lifting day. I lift in the mornings so I always feel better with a little extra food in me for the day. At this point, a slight surplus isn't going to hurt me since I want these muscles to grow anyway. If I see the scale jump, it's typically always sodium bombs from sushi and mexican. I do a little more protein that you really need and higher fat just because my favorite foods are fatty (avocados and oils + fatty meats). It's my carbs I have to worry about getting.

- Half inch of the hips
    - Inch off the thighs
    - I measure my waist at my natural waist and right below my belly button since I hold weight there...inch off that belly button area
    - Half inch off the butt

I wish I measured arms but the change in visible definition is very clear. Visible upper abs are starting to show though (non-existent before), and visible definition in quads are coming through as well.

Recomp is a bit of a pit stop for me because I didn't want to bulk over summer. I plan to start a bulk in September. But recomp has been wonderful!
    Very cool. I can identify with the Tex-Mex sodium bomb.

How long have you been at it? (Apologies if you said and I missed it.)

• terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »

- Half inch of the hips
    - Inch off the thighs
    - Half inch off the butt

Very cool. I can identify with the Tex-Mex sodium bomb.

How long have you been at it? (Apologies if you said and I missed it.)

Fellow Texan :smile: I get hit with that tex-mex sodium bomb at least once a week. It's worth it though.

And no problem, I completely forgot about the time. I managed to get down to 127 with cardio (swimming) and pilates. Wasn't really happy the composition of my body at that point and a bodpod had me at 31%. So end of October I dropped the pilates and started lifting and did a bare minimum deficit. I think the small deficit really helped since I was new to lifting and could capitalize on the newness.