Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    @terar21

Fantastic results, imo. If I can get anything close to that level of change, I'll be very happy indeed. Very well done.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I wish there was way to just "follow" everything usmcmp posts because it's all gold.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    @Chaelaz Great job! Proof positive. Thanks for sharing. Best of luck on your next goal.

Thanks. I should have added that my eating habits were the same in both situations, just added a few more calories while lifting heavier (which is nice because I was able to reduce fat while eating more). And I don't get into that super clean eating or really strict moderation. I level eating over a weeks time and gauge over a month. Works for me.

Cool to read others stories.

• giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I wish there was way to just "follow" everything usmcmp posts because it's all gold.
    SAME!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Totally agree!!!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    P.S. If you go to search and type in recomposition it pops up.
  • blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    blueyellowhorse: Do you have any idea what your body fat percentage is? I believe the recommended body fat percentages were mentioned earlier in the thread (25%? ish). I'm 5'5 and 153 lbs. and I'm guessing 24-26% body fat and starting my recomp now. I'm having a bodpod assessment done in a day or two to get a closer check on my "starting" numbers.

I think I'm at 27%, well maybe 26%. I'm not sure, I think it's higher than that though. :#

The good thing about a recomp is that there is no specific BF% you need to be at to start. The "rule" is to be a healthy weight. BF% doesn't impact a recomp the way it does when you do a bulk. If you're happy at your body weight, then start lifting heavy and eating at maintenance to recomp your body.

Yes. I'm very sorry, I didn't intend to imply that you can't start recomping WHEREVER you want in your journey. I was just so pleased with my own reading comprehension (and it was like... 2:30 in the morning) that I wanted to share what I'd remembered reading. I have recomped at other weights/bf% by accident. I am recomping on purpose at around 25% on purpose this time for aesthetics - and I assume you are too, blueyellowhorse?

Yes I want to look hot, lol. ;) Well I weighed myself this morning and I weigh 147, this is my lowest weight I've been in at least two years. So exciting. :) I really need to stop focusing on the scale so much though, because I still have a lot of fat left. I only really need to lose 12 more pounds or so, but I don't want to look skinny fat. So I guess I should take a break and start to recomp. :#
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @terar21

Fantastic results, imo. If I can get anything close to that level of change, I'll be very happy indeed. Very well done.

Thanks!!!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    I don't have a start of recomp to current picture because I didn't think to take something that wasn't fully clothed at the time.

I do however have a comparison between when I started lifting and now since I can't begin to praise the difference lifting has made in my body. There's only a 10 pound difference between the left and the middle/right photos. Crappy quality photo but I shows the progress. So this does include the last 3 months of recomp.

1latdluj6ln7.jpg

Thank you for posting this. I've been freaking out this week about spikes on the scale/not feeling slim enough on the beach and have been considering stopping my recomp, cutting more, and bulking in the late fall. You give me hope though.

So there's a cut in there somewhere between the time of your before picture and your "after", right? I know in the first post you mentioned you are staying at 118. Just curious.
  • mich19025
    mich19025 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    I don't have a start of recomp to current picture because I didn't think to take something that wasn't fully clothed at the time.

I do however have a comparison between when I started lifting and now since I can't begin to praise the difference lifting has made in my body. There's only a 10 pound difference between the left and the middle/right photos. Crappy quality photo but I shows the progress. So this does include the last 3 months of recomp.

1latdluj6ln7.jpg

Ooft! Well done!
  • cleanbulk_hatersgfy
    cleanbulk_hatersgfy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Good morning,

I started using free weights and machines not too long ago. I have no program and really no idea what I'm doing :smile: For those in the know, how heavy should a 39/f, 5'4", 108lbs, 8-10% bf (caliper/hydrostatic test) lift to get results? I've googled away and asked trainers at my local Q and got different answers. My goal is to look leaner/a little bit of muscle definition. Thanks in advance!

If you're new to lifting, look into a tried and true program.
    New Rules of Lifting For Women
    Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Strong Curves

If none of those appeal to you, try looking on bodybuilding.com for a program. Jamie Eason has some pretty good ones.

Heavy is relative. What is heavy for you may be light for me, while what is heavy for me may be light for the next person. Just start somewhere and work your way up. If you're doing progressive loading, you'll get into heavy lifting soon enough.

I just got the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. I will look up Jamie Eason too! Thanks! Happy Friday!
  • HollieWould1
    HollieWould1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I thought about a recomp and decided on a bulk and cut routine instead. Although recomp sounds good, it seems a little harder to measure results than with a bulk and cut to me. I'm getting too old to spin my wheels, I guess.

This interests me because, well AGE! I wonder if older age plays a role in your technique and your results. Interesting none the less.

• HollieWould1
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

When I started I was "skinny fat". Lost all the weight. Still wasn't happy. I knew I wouldn't be but didn't care as I had a plan to lose it first, then lift.

How old are you? For science and to plan accordingly. I too am skinny fat, but age and all.
  • HollieWould1
    Options
    I don't have any research, but I'll post my results here. I've been recomping for about 2 years. I have chronic illness and eating at a deficit can be too much stress on my system.

On the left I was 125 lbs, 24% body fat according to the Eat, Train, Progress body fat estimation thread. On the right I'm still 125 lbs but 2 sizes smaller.

eratv3u3d0sb.png

e34ba407-6e5a-47d6-903c-59c82d5f512b_zps3cf7062a.png

That's focus and determination right there. Nice work!

This is HOT!!! Exactly what I want to see for myself. Awesome!

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    @terar21 What a transformation,....you look great!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

When I started I was "skinny fat". Lost all the weight. Still wasn't happy. I knew I wouldn't be but didn't care as I had a plan to lose it first, then lift.

How old are you? For science and to plan accordingly. I too am skinny fat, but age and all.

Age has less of an impact with females. Men can gain muscle quicker than women mainly due to testosterone - it decreases in men as they age - we do not have that impact so in theory, the playing field so to speak is leveled out more.

Biggest impact is the additional recovery time we need as we get older - so you often get less work in.

Anything that causes us to be able to put on muscle slower (gender, training age, injury etc) would make recomping or a very slow bulk more desirable (subject to preference and other individual factors) to a quicker bulk and the fat to muscle ratio will be worse. It does not mean you cannot recomp or bulk successfully - its just something to consider when you decide how you want to go about it.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    jimmmer wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I am totally not following any particular program right now and haven't really studied the science. What is working for me right now is sticking with my tri coach's workouts (tri specific challenging cardio) and hitting the weight room hard 3x per week (machines only), progressively increasing my weights, and eating what I want (lots of carbs...needed for activity level, and sufficient protein, adequate fats). I am really happy with my progress so far and think this is the permanent way forward for me. Cutting was too hard!

Doing machines only means you are missing out on the stabilization requirements of free weights. Using machines also means less motor unit recruitment (less bang for your buck).

Yeah, yeah, so folks on here keep telling me. But that's ok, I like the machines and am getting great results. More than 1 way to skin a cat.

You're right that there is more than one way to skin a cat. There is no down side to moving from machines to free weights.
    How about massive scars and muscle damage on your abdomen that make stabilizing your core for squats much more painful than leg press and hack squat machines?

This is an extreme example.

For most people who don't have a pre-existing condition/injury her post is correct.

If you have a medical reason why you have to use a machine - use a machine. Doesn't have to be a bunch of emotion attached to it. It's just training, not religion...

@jimmmer

I wasn't the one preaching about free weights to someone who appeared happy and successful with machines.

ETA: And it doesn't take extreme examples. Maybe someone's at a gym without a squat rack and isn't comfortable squatting without one. Or someone doesn't want to deal with finding a spotter or possibly rolling weights off his body when using barbells.

Yeah, free weights have advantages for people who want to use them. That doesn't mean everyone wants to use them and if it makes her less likely to lift, that's a downside to free weights. Heck, I use them for almost everything, but using machines is better than using nothing if that's what the person is comfortable with.

Seem to recall usmcmp saying she's previously broken a hip, tore her ACL, but still squats.
    So exactly how is she being preachy? She's listed nothing but facts to support a method that might help the person save time and improve performance if adopted. The personal already said it is personal preference; if it was prescribed by some kind of physical therapy, I think they'd have said so already.
    @senecarr

When someone writes, "Yeah, yeah, so folks on here keep telling me. But that's ok, I like the machines and am getting great results. More than 1 way to skin a cat." but you keep pressing, no pun intended, free weights, it comes off as preachy to me. If it doesn't to you, that's fine.

She followed up once after that with a strong analogy.
    If it doesn't to you, that's fine.

I get that she's probably uncomfortable with the idea of free weights. I understand there are situations where squatting or benching are going to be tougher with free weights. I also know that she's missing out by not doing any sort of free weights. I wasn't going to "preach" any further to her. If she's satisfied with what she's doing that's fine, but I refuse to sit back and not say anything about the benefits of free weights over machines.

My biggest issue with machines are many of them force a specific movement path and can increase injury. But there are some machines i find very beneficial such as cable machines. But i would agree the majority of free weight moves will engage more muscles providing better result. But as already said, you need to work within your means and stay as safe as possible.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Age has less of an impact with females. Men can gain muscle quicker than women mainly due to testosterone - it decreases in men as they age - we do not have that impact so in theory, the playing field so to speak is leveled out more.

Biggest impact is the additional recovery time we need as we get older - so you often get less work in.

Anything that causes us to be able to put on muscle slower (gender, training age, injury etc) would make recomping or a very slow bulk more desirable (subject to preference and other individual factors) to a quicker bulk and the fat to muscle ratio will be worse. It does not mean you cannot recomp or bulk successfully - its just something to consider when you decide how you want to go about it.
    The difference in testosterone that occurs with aging isn't normally enough to affect muscle building.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

The difference in testosterone that occurs with aging isn't normally enough to affect muscle building.

Not arguing - legit question here, but test decreases when you age. Test impacts muscle growth. So why would it not enough to affect it. Not saying its a big impact, but it must impact it. Unless I am getting the basics wrong here.