Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    All, I'll let you know if age impacts any possible changes. I'm older than most (55+) and will be starting my recomp next week. I lost the 8-9 lbs I wanted to lose but am still carrying more body fat than I want and would also like some muscle definition.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    All, I'll let you know if age impacts any possible changes. I'm older than most (55+) and will be starting my recomp next week. I lost the 8-9 lbs I wanted to lose but am still carrying more body fat than I want and would also like some muscle definition.

To be clear, I am not saying it does not impect it - for women or for men. It would just make it slower generally, not impossible.

good luck!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »

The biggest impact with age is crappier recovery.

But there's various ways to optimise recovery. Also you can adapt programming to work around it.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

When I started I was "skinny fat". Lost all the weight. Still wasn't happy. I knew I wouldn't be but didn't care as I had a plan to lose it first, then lift.

How old are you? For science and to plan accordingly. I too am skinny fat, but age and all.

Age has less of an impact with females. Men can gain muscle quicker than women mainly due to testosterone - it decreases in men as they age - we do not have that impact so in theory, the playing field so to speak is leveled out more.

Biggest impact is the additional recovery time we need as we get older - so you often get less work in.

Anything that causes us to be able to put on muscle slower (gender, training age, injury etc) would make recomping or a very slow bulk more desirable (subject to preference and other individual factors) to a quicker bulk and the fat to muscle ratio will be worse. It does not mean you cannot recomp or bulk successfully - its just something to consider when you decide how you want to go about it.
    The difference in testosterone that occurs with aging isn't normally enough to affect muscle building.

Not arguing - legit question here, but test decreases when you age. Test impacts muscle growth. So why would it not enough to affect it. Not saying its a big impact, but it must impact it. Unless I am getting the basics wrong here.

It isn't a linear response system. Yes, if you pump someone with supranormal levels like quadruple, they'll build more. But even increases in one person of up to 60% as seen from d-aspartic acid, don't actually increase muscle building. So for normal ranges, you aren't going to see any kind of reliable correlation.
    On top of that, when signaling hormones decrease in the body, there is a natural tendency to increase receptors - the inverse is pretty much how diabetes happens, cells get rid of insulin receptors because they think the pancreas is broken and over signaling. So as an man ages, his receptors might increase to react to it, thought that's one I don't have empirical evidence for like the d-aspartic acid results.

There is also the complex case of HRT, which does seem to increase muscle, but it is a bit disingenuous to call HRT to a "normal" test level, an actual normal test level. Normally, the body has cycles of test, HRT usually puts the level to "normal" based on the peak morning level and leaves it there 24/7.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

When I started I was "skinny fat". Lost all the weight. Still wasn't happy. I knew I wouldn't be but didn't care as I had a plan to lose it first, then lift.

How old are you? For science and to plan accordingly. I too am skinny fat, but age and all.

Age has less of an impact with females. Men can gain muscle quicker than women mainly due to testosterone - it decreases in men as they age - we do not have that impact so in theory, the playing field so to speak is leveled out more.

Biggest impact is the additional recovery time we need as we get older - so you often get less work in.

Anything that causes us to be able to put on muscle slower (gender, training age, injury etc) would make recomping or a very slow bulk more desirable (subject to preference and other individual factors) to a quicker bulk and the fat to muscle ratio will be worse. It does not mean you cannot recomp or bulk successfully - its just something to consider when you decide how you want to go about it.
    The difference in testosterone that occurs with aging isn't normally enough to affect muscle building.

Not arguing - legit question here, but test decreases when you age. Test impacts muscle growth. So why would it not enough to affect it. Not saying its a big impact, but it must impact it. Unless I am getting the basics wrong here.

It isn't a linear response system. Yes, if you pump someone with supranormal levels like quadruple, they'll build more. But even increases in one person of up to 60% as seen from d-aspartic acid, don't actually increase muscle building. So for normal ranges, you aren't going to see any kind of reliable correlation.
    On top of that, when signaling hormones decrease in the body, there is a natural tendency to increase receptors - the inverse is pretty much how diabetes happens, cells get rid of insulin receptors because they think the pancreas is broken and over signaling. So as an man ages, his receptors might increase to react to it, thought that's one I don't have empirical evidence for like the d-aspartic acid results.

There is also the complex case of HRT, which does seem to increase muscle, but it is a bit disingenuous to call HRT to a "normal" test level, an actual normal test level. Normally, the body has cycles of test, HRT usually puts the level to "normal" based on the peak morning level and leaves it there 24/7.

I was not saying that it was linear - and do not think it is. What do you consider normal ranges?
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

wait, +60% test production from DAA? lol? is there a study for that?

if that is actually true then every man on the planet should be taking DAA
  • senecarr
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

It doesn't stay at that amount, and again, 60% isn't going to make a difference.
    http://examine.com/supplements/D-Aspartic Acid
    There appears to be an increase in testosterone in most subjects acutely (6-12 days), and while this may persist to the tune of 30-60% in infertile men it is reduced to
    baseline within a month in otherwise healthy men with normal testosterone at baseline.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options

It doesn't stay at that amount, and again, 60% isn't going to make a difference.
    There appears to be an increase in testosterone in most subjects acutely (6-12 days), and while this may persist to the tune of 30-60% in infertile men it is reduced to
    baseline within a month in otherwise healthy men with normal testosterone at baseline.

Ah so this is really only even applicable to men who should be on TRT anyway...

I don't know about you but I'd take an extra 60% testosterone any day :mrgreen:
  • senecarr
    Options

I was not saying that it was linear - and do not think it is. What do you consider normal ranges?
    I'm not sure where the cut off would be for strength and muscle maintenance. Off the top of my head, I know that it has to drop to 10% of average without affecting libido in males, and yet all kinds of people erroneously believe that lowering testosterone is why male drive drops with aging.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You are using the D-aspartic acid studies to show an increase in test but no impact on muscle mass? Or am I interpreting this incorrectly?
  • senecarr
    Options

You are using the D-aspartic acid studies to show an increase in test but no impact on muscle mass? Or am I interpreting this incorrectly?

Yes, D-aspartic has been shown to increase testosterone, particularly in infertile men, as much as 60%. Even when that large an increase It hasn't been shown to impact muscle mass.
  • senecarr
    Options

Ah so this is really only even applicable to men who should be on TRT anyway...

I don't know about you but I'd take an extra 60% testosterone any day :mrgreen:
    Honestly, not sure I'd care for all of what goes on if testosterone is increased enough to make actual physiological changes.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Yes, D-aspartic has been shown to increase testosterone, particularly in infertile men, as much as 60%. Even when that large an increase It hasn't been shown to impact muscle mass.

Were these guys on an adequate volume progressive lifting routine with a quantified maintenance or caloric surplus?
  • senecarr
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

Were these guys on an adequate volume progressive lifting routine with a quantified maintenance or caloric surplus?
    Not sure. Increasing testosterone to supranormal on its own increases muscle mass without increasing activity.
  • FitForL1fe
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think we're getting a bit off track at this point with the testosterone discussion debate.

The good thing about this thread so far is that it is fairly succinct (in comparison to most MFP threads). The T discussion can easily get its own thread.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Not sure. Increasing testosterone to supranormal on its own increases muscle mass without increasing activity.

And here is the problem with plucking studies out of the aether...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

On top of that, when signaling hormones decrease in the body, there is a natural tendency to increase receptors - the inverse is pretty much how diabetes happens, cells get rid of insulin receptors because they think the pancreas is broken and over signaling. So as an man ages, his receptors might increase to react to it, thought that's one I don't have empirical evidence for like the d-aspartic acid results. There is also the complex case of HRT, which does seem to increase muscle, but it is a bit disingenuous to call HRT to a "normal" test level, an actual normal test level. Normally, the body has cycles of test, HRT usually puts the level to "normal" based on the peak morning level and leaves it there 24/7.

Thanks.

On looking at the three underlying studies (abstract only at the moment for the first two).

- looks like one was on men with normal levels - no impact to testosterone in the first place (and no impact on body comp), and another did show an increase (subjects had normal test levels I think also) - does not look like body comp was looked at in this.
    - one was on men with a low sperm count - which it did improve - there was no note of body composition that I could see.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew what in the hell you guys were talking about.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Only one of the studies looked at resistance trained men from what I could tell. No impact on body comp or total or free test in that one.
  • senecarr
    Options

And here is the problem with plucking studies out of the aether...

And it is better to assume that just any increase in testosterone will benefit muscle gain, sans clinical evidence?
    Testosterone doesn't just increase recovery, despite what some people think. It also increases muscle mass without regard to stimulus. However, the effect isn't linear enough to be appreciable. You need to have supranormal amounts to denote clinically significant effects.
    If you want aspartic acid (without regard to testosterone changes it made in subjects), there is this study showing it not affecting muscle mass:
    http://www.nrjournal.com/article/S0271-5317(13)00173-5/abstract
    d-Aspartic acid supplementation combined with 28 days of heavy resistance training has no effect on body composition, muscle strength, and serum hormones associated with the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis in resistance-trained men

Darryn S. Willoughbycorrespondenceemail, Brian Leutholtz