Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »
    From what I understand the machines' counters can be horribly inaccurate anyway. As far as how to log, just total each amount, that's what I usually do. So, for example, at 2.8mph, if I did that for 15 times within the 30 minutes, I'd log it as "x mph, 15 minutes", then "7.0mph, 15 minutes" or whatever the total is at 7mph.

Thanks ;)
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    @usmcmp I'm going to start maintenance next week from a slightly different angle than most people. Used to be overweight. Lost it a few years ago but lost too much. Had been looking to add the weight back on over the last years but go no where. Started with a PT last year who changed how I worked out and got me over the mental barrier of eating more. Started eating 4,000 calories last November and since then have added on 15kg/33lbs with the weight going from 55kg/121lbs to 70kg/154lbs. Body fat was around 5% when I started. Its now in or around 15%. Happy with the amount I put on. Content now to maintain and attempt a slow recomp to got the body fat down a small bit. As I had never known what my maintenance figure was when I started on MFP cos it was always about finding the calorie amount that allowed me to gain, I'm going to go with an initial 10% reduction in the calorie level to 3,600 & give it a few weeks. Had always a high metabolism and I used to run a lot which I reduced when I was bulking. Going to increase the running back to one 10k a week with the intention of carb loading on that day and eating back all my calories.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    jdscrubs32; Good luck and keep us posted on how you do. B)
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Tag
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @leahgoldgirl what an accomplishment!! I am same shape as your before pic...I want to look narrower in the hips/midriff just like you.... :smiley: hopefully in a year or two that will be how I look :smiley: Congrats!
  • tdr82
    tdr82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Looking at going from 16% bf to about 12-13%.

Have looked up recomping and have calculated that I need 2400cal on lifting days and 1820 on non lifting days. Does this sound right for a 89kg male?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    tdr82 wrote: »
    Looking at going from 16% bf to about 12-13%.

Have looked up recomping and have calculated that I need 2400cal on lifting days and 1820 on non lifting days. Does this sound right for a 89kg male?

What's rest of the day like?

The normal TDEE charts merely look at exercise, not work or other daily activity. Many find even with desk jobs they are actually Lightly Active when they have kids.
    So now you have to add together 2 levels - daily life and exercise.

The 1820 almost sounds like your BMR, so unless you sleep all day on your non-lifting days - both sounds low.
  • tdr82
    Options
    That what I thought, work is mainly desk bound. However I lift 4 mornings a week. do cardio 1 morning a week. Play hockey and squash once a week and ride on the weekend.
  • heybales
    Options
    In TDEE tables - Active, easily.

Then take that daily average, and adjust around that 200 calories to 24 hrs after your lifting if you want to - but with that much going on - I'd suggest stick with daily static goal.

That 1820 is a bad idea on non-lifting days which are obviously very busy - that's still a diet - not recomp.
  • tdr82
    Options
    Cool thanks mate.

Is it fine to keep my 40/40/20 macro split?
  • heybales
    Options
    That's plenty of protein, especially with more calories. Past a certain point, especially when not in a diet - the extra isn't going to benefit you more except lightening your wallet, and being converted to carbs when not used as amino acids.
    As long as no liver problems, no problem, just no extra benefit except perhaps making you feel fuller, which may not be needed on bigger calories either.

You'll adjust as needed, just try for a couple weeks, and don't stress if protein goal not hit.
  • thintribe2014
    thintribe2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Yay!

So, a few questions:

1. Is there some bodyfat range that should be a minimum for doing a recomp? I imagine the higher the bf%, the longer the recomp will take. I hate cutting, but feel like I still have some fat to lose before I switch things up.

2. What's everyone experience with the mental aspect? I know I'm not mentally ready for a bulk, but what can I expect while doing a recomp?

3. My nutrition is around 135P/70F (always over)/160C. Yay or nay?

Thanks for this thread!

answers

1. This also applies to point 2. To me, it's a body fat percentage I've been able to attain which I feel comfortable at maintaining because I have hit a plateau. Equally a body fat percentage which allows me to visibly see changes in my body. So as I recop, I am able to see progression which helps maintaining motivation and vigilance. As many have said before, recomposition is like spinning the rims.

In May I was probably about 22% body fat and in August around 15 or 16. It's only in the latter I can see material changes with my lifting routines.

vf2319qkms6b.png

2. This is the real challenge me. I really feel fuelled when I eat at a slight surplus for clean bulking. My workouts are more proficient and I swear I can see gains nearly on a daily basis but this is countered seeing an increase on the scales... which decimates me. I know I should maintain a period of bulking before going through another cutting cycle but I simply cannot mentally cope with seeing an increase on the scale (even though this is not necessarily just fat gain).

3. I think that's down to personal preference for me it's 200 protons, 95 fat and about 150 carbohydrates

So to conclude, my heart desires progressive growth and muscle density which would be best served by a bulking and cutting cycle. My mind cannot cope with this so I choose the slower recomposition path

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Yay! I finally started recomp!
    Just forgot to measure, weigh and take pics XD Guess I'll do that tomorrow.
  • mfm143
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Help - can some please check my stats and tell me if I'm in enough of a deficit - I've checked so many calculators and am a bit lost now
    Cw 188.2 sw 197 gw 135-40 . Daily calories (no exercise cals )- 1800 - 135 p 128c 66 fat
    I do 5x5 3x/wk and HIIT 2x wk. thanks in advance - also weight everything religiously via food scale - haven't lost weight in 6wks just inches
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    mfm143 wrote: »
    Help - can some please check my stats and tell me if I'm in enough of a deficit - I've checked so many calculators and am a bit lost now
    Cw 188.2 sw 197 gw 135-40 . Daily calories (no exercise cals )- 1800 - 135 p 128c 66 fat
    I do 5x5 3x/wk and HIIT 2x wk. thanks in advance - also weight everything religiously via food scale - haven't lost weight in 6wks just inches

How tall are you? Do you weigh all solids in grams and only liquids with measuring cups?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Enough of a deficit for what? This is a recomposition post, which would mean that your goal is not to lose weight.

If you are wanting to lose weight and are not, then you are not in a deficit. Are you eating back your exercise calories? What did you set your activity level at?
  • mfm143
    Options

Enough of a deficit for what? This is a recomposition post, which would mean that your goal is not to lose weight.

If you are wanting to lose weight and are not, then you are not in a deficit. Are you eating back your exercise calories? What did you set your activity level at?

Sorry - to lose 1-1.5 lbs weekly - no I do not eat back my exercise cals - activity level set at lightly active
  • mfm143
    Options
    ljk0615 wrote: »

How tall are you? Do you weigh all solids in grams and only liquids with measuring cups?

I'm 5'8 and I weight everything w a scale incld liquids via mls
  • heybales
    edited September 2015
    Options

Sorry - to lose 1-1.5 lbs weekly - no I do not eat back my exercise cals - activity level set at lightly active

Does the 5x5 take you 30 min or 60 min 3 x weekly?
    Is the HIIT for 10 min or 40 min 2 x weekly?

Are you a couch potato sedentary at work and home life outside of exercise, or do you have active job and/or kids at home keeping you active evenings/weeknights.
    Because that Lightly Active on MFP is ONLY about daily life outside of exercise - because it's not talking about TDEE.

Other sites talking about TDEE only talk about exercise and little about daily life, and Lightly active there sounds too little purely from the exercise part of it.

Not many details to really help out.

The suggestion would be to be best served by starting your own thread about having a deficit instead of trying to find answers in a topic about maintaining your weight.

Suggest you provide all the details in that post.

Though it sounds like you are maintaining weight at what you eat now actually, unless you have some other stress causing water weight gain.