Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    When I'm logging my calories I have a goal of 2060 calories for maintenance as a 142 lb, 5'9, 19 y/o male. I do NOT, however, log my lifting or running calories. Is it better for me to continue doing this as a recomp or try and log my lost calories as best I can? Any help would be appreciated.

The key to whether you should be eating your exercise calories or not is whether or not you are going up/down/staying the same weight.

If you aren't logging your calories burned, but still aren't losing weight, then you are effectively eating at maintenance. If you are going down, add some exercise calories. If you are going up, reevaluate.
  • thop83
    thop83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    When I'm logging my calories I have a goal of 2060 calories for maintenance as a 142 lb, 5'9, 19 y/o male. I do NOT, however, log my lifting or running calories. Is it better for me to continue doing this as a recomp or try and log my lost calories as best I can? Any help would be appreciated.

Well, a recomp means eating at maintenance - eating what you burn in other words to not lose weight.

If you are NOT accounting for calories burned doing exercise - then are you really eating at maintenance, or in a deficit?

My only concern is that the calories burned may not be correct and with an extended amount of time, any excess eaten calories would catch up with me. I am not able to effectively weigh myself on a regular basis and can go months without seeing a scale. If I'm trying to recomp, I would imagine it would be safer to eat in a deficit while being as close to maintenance as possible rather than have an excess of calories, correct?
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

Well, a recomp means eating at maintenance - eating what you burn in other words to not lose weight.

If you are NOT accounting for calories burned doing exercise - then are you really eating at maintenance, or in a deficit?

My only concern is that the calories burned may not be correct and with an extended amount of time, any excess eaten calories would catch up with me. I am not able to effectively weigh myself on a regular basis and can go months without seeing a scale. If I'm trying to recomp, I would imagine it would be safer to eat in a deficit while being as close to maintenance as possible rather than have an excess of calories, correct?

You'll notice it long before it would catch up with you. Even without a scale (do you do that on purpose or is there something restricting you from access to a scale), you can pay close attention to your body's appearance, how your clothes fit you, etc.

You really can't worry about small variables in exercise burn. It's all a variable. Even what you're doing right now is only an estimate because your body's daily burn (minus the exercise) and is affected by how much general activity you get throughout the day. It's not the same daily. You'll drive yourself crazy worrying about that.

Account for the exercise and eat at maintenance. Some days you'll be lower. Some days you'll be higher.

Even trying to being in a deficit and getting as close to maintenance as possible is still having to account for exercise calories...just at a different number. So why not account for them at maintenance?
  • thop83
    edited June 2015
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »

You'll notice it long before it would catch up with you. Even without a scale (do you do that on purpose or is there something restricting you from access to a scale), you can pay close attention to your body's appearance, how your clothes fit you, etc.

You really can't worry about small variables in exercise burn. It's all a variable. Even what you're doing right now is only an estimate because your body's daily burn (minus the exercise) and is affected by how much general activity you get throughout the day. It's not the same daily. You'll drive yourself crazy worrying about that.

Account for the exercise and eat at maintenance. Some days you'll be lower. Some days you'll be higher.

Even trying to being in a deficit and getting as close to maintenance as possible is still having to account for exercise calories...just at a different number. So why not account for them at maintenance?

It is due to a sort of restriction. Regardless, would the outcome of me wanting to lose body fat while gaining tone and definition change regardless of the method used?
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Great information here! Thanks, everyone!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Incorrect.
    The use of the word "safer" in regard to being in deficit is a red flag to be honest. Sounds like an irrational fear (at the least).
    You seem to think that exercise calorie estimates being "incorrect" automatically means over-estimated?
    Not taking exercise into account is guaranteed to be wrong! Either TDEE method or MFP eat back method works. Ignoring significant exercise expenditure when you are trying to maintain isn't likely to work.

You need to take emotion out of weight or you will be very stressed. Excess means gaining mass, deficit means losing mass - nothing more.
    You must have access to a mirror, tape measure or camera?

• thop83
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Incorrect.
    The use of the word "safer" in regard to being in deficit is a red flag to be honest. Sounds like an irrational fear (at the least).
    You seem to think that exercise calorie estimates being "incorrect" automatically means over-estimated?
    Not taking exercise into account is guaranteed to be wrong! Either TDEE method or MFP eat back method works. Ignoring significant exercise expenditure when you are trying to maintain isn't likely to work.

You need to take emotion out of weight or you will be very stressed. Excess means gaining mass, deficit means losing mass - nothing more.
    You must have access to a mirror, tape measure or camera?

Correct, access to each of those. I am taking into the account that the "60 minutes" I'm at the gym may not be 60 minutes I work out and the exercises vary each 8-12 minutes. I have no way of measuring how many actual calories are burned while lifting and can only hope that the MFP running calories are close to what I actually burn.

Irrational fear, maybe. It's a fear I've had for a while of becoming like my parents in the aspect of genetically skinny to borderline overweight. I'm trying to get into a healthy and lean lifestyle now so that in the future it is easier to maintain.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you honestly did the pace you picked for the time you stated, walking and running calories are the most accurate.

Like if you eventually made it up to running 8 mph with 60 min, but only ran 6 miles total - you don't pick the pace of 8mph, but the 6 mph one.

Strength Training in the database is actually decent estimate too - low compared to cardio, but that is true.
    It's based on studies with reps 5-15, sets, and rests 2-4 min.
    Circuit training is the 15+ reps, rests 1 min or less, and circuits.

So unless you get distracted talking for 10 min blocks of time and count it - your time is good.

What I like to do once with a new routine, is focus on doing it with normal rests, no distractions, lift to lift, and note that true workout time. Then in future doing it, if I do get distracted and talk, or go out of order, or wait for equipment - I know what the true time is, without that stuff happening.

True - you have no way of truly measuring. You think anyone does?
    Is 0 more correct than another number?

Don't worry - with a good workouts - your body will know exactly what to do with those few extra calories.
  • thop83
    Options
    If you honestly did the pace you picked for the time you stated, walking and running calories are the most accurate.

Like if you eventually made it up to running 8 mph with 60 min, but only ran 6 miles total - you don't pick the pace of 8mph, but the 6 mph one.

Strength Training in the database is actually decent estimate too - low compared to cardio, but that is true.

So unless you get distracted talking for 10 min blocks of time and count it - your time is good.

What I like to do once with a new routine, is focus on doing it with normal rests, no distractions, lift to lift, and note that true workout time. Then in future doing it, if I do get distracted and talk, or go out of order, or wait for equipment - I know what the true time is, without that stuff happening.

Don't worry - with a good workouts - your body will know exactly what to do with those few extra calories.

Alright, thank you for the clarification. I'll do what u can to get over the fear of overeating and just go for it while lifting heavy. I can tell a difference in my abs and arms based on my last few weeks so we will see how all of it is affected with eating at maintenance and not worrying about a little surplus.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I have a body recomp question. The answer may have been posted already, so my apologies if this is a repeat question.

My goal for the longest time has been to get into a healthy BMI. I'm about 4 lbs away from that goal. However, now that the weather is gorgeous, I've been doing a lot of yard work. I'm eating more calories than I should be to just lose weight (and before anyone picks apart my diet choices, I'm happy with how I'm eating). I do a lot of activities that require me to be strong. Yesterday I was carrying a 5 year old piggy back, while pulling a 3, 5, and 7 year old in a wagon, walking for a total of one hour. Things like this don't get reflected accurately with my fitbit, so I'm alright with the fact that I'm over my calories every day (got a nice buffer though, set at a 2 lb/week deficit as my calorie goal). Anyway, I digress, but that's a bit of the background story. I'm 31, 5'8", and currently maintaining between 168-170 lbs (with around 164 being my overweight-normal goal BMI threshold). I initially wanted to get down to 145 lbs, but that's probably years away if I continue on my current trend of maintaining and building muscle.

My question is, if I am building my muscle because I'm eating closer to maintenance (and I know I'm getting stronger, I can feel the difference in the amount of topsoil I can haul around with the wheelbarrow), and my clothes are getting smaller (on the cusp of transition between a size 12 to 11), then how do I know when I'm into the 'normal' range for my size? My brain tricks me often, some days I see my old self, and some days I see myself as smaller than I actually am (which was a huge problem when I was 195 lbs. In my mind I thought I looked closer to someone who was 160 lbs). I'd ask my husband, but he's no help lol. So how will I know? Either way I'm loving my new lifestyle, I feel great, I can see a huge difference in my strength, my endurance, and my flexibility. My fat hangs off my body, so I can see all these weird ripple indents on my skin, and I can pull it away from my body. I'm down over 20", although my arm measurements aren't changing much because of my new bat wings hanging down lol. Any insight would be appreciated :)
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

My question is, if I am building my muscle because I'm eating closer to maintenance (and I know I'm getting stronger, I can feel the difference in the amount of topsoil I can haul around with the wheelbarrow), and my clothes are getting smaller (on the cusp of transition between a size 12 to 11), then how do I know when I'm into the 'normal' range for my size?

Could you clarify what you mean with normal range? Range in what?
    Weight
    Clothing size
    Body measurements
    Calories
  • KrunchyMama
    edited June 2015
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

Weight
    Clothing size
    Body measurements
    Calories

I guess it would be range for any/all the above. Because if my muscle mass is higher, then my BMI would be off/incorrect right?

So what's a 'normal'/healthy size for clothing and/or weight and/or body measurements? Or maybe that range is too broad, because some people my height could get to a size 2-4, but I know my hips couldn't get that small, no matter how hard I tried.

Just trying to figure out the point where someone could look at me and think 'yup, she's a healthy weight', not 'yup, she's overweight'. I was using BMI to try and find this point, but if I'm recomping then it will probably be a while before I get within the healthy BMI range.

I'm still relatively new to this, so my apologies if I'm not making sense!

ETA: Maybe it seems silly, but I've been overweight my entire life, so this line is kind of a big deal to me, and sitting on the edge is driving me crazy. I know I could probably just not recomp, and eat my MFP allotted calories to lose weight, but I'm sick of being grumpy from calorie restriction, especially now that I've found a good balance of eating (that doesn't leave me feeling dizzy) and exercising (where I can feel and see huge improvements). It's just this darn scale/BMI number that I'm kind of hung up on.
  • heybales
    Options

Alright, thank you for the clarification. I'll do what u can to get over the fear of overeating and just go for it while lifting heavy. I can tell a difference in my abs and arms based on my last few weeks so we will see how all of it is affected with eating at maintenance and not worrying about a little surplus.

That's still mental fear talking there.

How do you know it's a little surplus and not a little deficit?
  • heybales
    edited June 2015
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

Weight
    Clothing size
    Body measurements
    Calories

I guess it would be range for any/all the above. Because if my muscle mass is higher, then my BMI would be off/incorrect right?

So what's a 'normal'/healthy size for clothing and/or weight and/or body measurements? Or maybe that range is too broad, because some people my height could get to a size 2-4, but I know my hips couldn't get that small, no matter how hard I tried.

Just trying to figure out the point where someone could look at me and think 'yup, she's a healthy weight', not 'yup, she's overweight'. I was using BMI to try and find this point, but if I'm recomping then it will probably be a while before I get within the healthy BMI range.

I'm still relatively new to this, so my apologies if I'm not making sense!

ETA: Maybe it seems silly, but I've been overweight my entire life, so this line is kind of a big deal to me, and sitting on the edge is driving me crazy. I know I could probably just not recomp, and eat my MFP allotted calories to lose weight, but I'm sick of being grumpy from calorie restriction, especially now that I've found a good balance of eating (that doesn't leave me feeling dizzy) and exercising (where I can feel and see huge improvements). It's just this darn scale/BMI number that I'm kind of hung up on.

Women's muscle growth is slow - any muscle growth is much slower that you can lose fat weight.

And big difference between using existing muscle to best of ability and actually growing more.
    Getting stronger and looking bigger doesn't actually require more muscle mass. Not until existing is totally tapped out.

If still that far above what is considered healthy BMI (and true not great stat for individuals, but if you have no idea what healthy weight is for your frame, it's a place to start) where a Dr or nurse could likely look you up and down and decide too much bodyfat still - it will take a long.

You'll find in recommendations above and in many posts that recomping benefits from having an almost healthy amount of bodyfat. Too high, and you cause the muscle gains to slow down.
    At those points, usually better to keep lifting with small deficit to keep losing fat and weight faster, and accept you'll get noobie muscle gains anyway (after existing muscle is tapped out).

You'd have to gain a decent amount of muscle for the BMI aspect to be thrown off enough to matter.
    Because if you think about it - going by BMI - you'll never reach healthy BMI if the weight stays the same, and height probably won't change. But many years down the road with enough fat loss and muscle gain you could reach point where BMI no longer applies as accurate assessment of healthy weight.

Oh yeah - 2 lb weekly deficit goal with only 4 lbs to go to healthy weight range - not great idea.
    Especially since you explain you are burning more than the Fitbit is even aware of -meaning the deficit is even bigger. But you go over goal slightly, but probably not enough to make the deficit reasonable.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

It is due to a sort of restriction. Regardless, would the outcome of me wanting to lose body fat while gaining tone and definition change regardless of the method used?

Not if your goal is building muscle, IMO. If your goal is potentially a little weight loss, then yes.

Personally, my goal for this recomp is capitalizing on what little muscle I can and increasing strength. So I prefer to be a little over in my maintenance calories. I'd prefer not to have passive 200 calorie deficit days. It's safer for me to be slightly over if anything. The worst that could happen is 8 weeks down the line, I realize I've gained a single pound, that I can lose in a couple weeks without making any major adjustments. Or embrace the pound because...it's a pound. As long as the clothes feel right and the measurements match up, I'm good. And for me, any time I've seen jumps in the scale it's just my sodium level or some muscles retaining water after a really tough workout.

But it's up to you really. If you'd like to exclude your exercise calories for safety purposes, you can. You'll just not be in recomp...rather still cutting. You'll indeed be losing body fat, but that's it. And I doubt you want to be in a perpetual cut. At some point you have to accept the exercise calories as something you must consume.

However, I do agree with the poster that says you might be holding onto an irrational fear. I think it's normal. It took me a second to be relaxed about maintenance. You just have to realize that if you're doing the right thing, you just don't pick up extra pounds over night.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Not if your goal is building muscle, IMO. If your goal is potentially a little weight loss, then yes.

Personally, my goal for this recomp is capitalizing on what little muscle I can and increasing strength. So I prefer to be a little over in my maintenance calories. I'd prefer not to have passive 200 calorie deficit days. It's safer for me to be slightly over if anything. The worst that could happen is 8 weeks down the line, I realize I've gained a single pound, that I can lose in a couple weeks without making any major adjustments. Or embrace the pound because...it's a pound. As long as the clothes feel right and the measurements match up, I'm good. And for me, any time I've seen jumps in the scale it's just my sodium level or some muscles retaining water after a really tough workout.

But it's up to you really. If you'd like to exclude your exercise calories for safety purposes, you can. You'll just not be in recomp...rather still cutting. You'll indeed be losing body fat, but that's it. And I doubt you want to be in a perpetual cut. At some point you have to accept the exercise calories as something you must consume.

However, I do agree with the poster that says you might be holding onto an irrational fear. I think it's normal. It took me a second to be relaxed about maintenance. You just have to realize that if you're doing the right thing, you just don't pick up extra pounds over night.

This is so much on the money.

Where's the like button for the forums?
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    @heybales Thank you so much for the info! Much appreciated :)
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    KrunchyMama - I found my fitbit over estimated my calories by at least 200 calories even though I run around after young kids and do things like weight lifting that it couldn't account for. When I went with TDEE and a small deficit I started losing. You aren't going to gain the amount of muscle necessary to throw off your BMI number through an active lifestyle. That is more of an issue for body builders or elite athletes. Even with a calories surplus and heavy weight lifting, you would be lucky to gain 10 lbs of muscle in a year. I have been lifting heavy weights for a year and half and I'm not where near gaining that much muscle.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oh dear, people please flag and report.
    Edit: OK, it is gone now. Thanks.
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    KrunchyMama - I found my fitbit over estimated my calories by at least 200 calories even though I run around after young kids and do things like weight lifting that it couldn't account for. When I went with TDEE and a small deficit I started losing. You aren't going to gain the amount of muscle necessary to throw off your BMI number through an active lifestyle. That is more of an issue for body builders or elite athletes. Even with a calories surplus and heavy weight lifting, you would be lucky to gain 10 lbs of muscle in a year. I have been lifting heavy weights for a year and half and I'm not where near gaining that much muscle.

Yes, I've noticed the next day that my fitbit retracts about 500 calories. I always go back to check and adjust my calories accordingly for the day ahead. Kind of a pita to do, I wish it worked based on what I had already burned, not what I'm projected to burn for the rest of the day. I added a few pics to my profile to show the beginning steps of my recomp (the difference between me at 170.6 versus 169.8). It's not much, but I can feel/see it :)