Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    CJMQ wrote: »
    Women building muscle anecdote: I did hydrostatic testing 6 months ago and weighed 151 with 18.8% bf. Last week weighed in at 153 with 17.8%. According to the test my lean mass went up from 122 to 125 lb, and my fat dropped by 1 lb. I don't know what the margin or error is, but I reportedly look leaner (people ask if I have lost weight). I eat low-carb, high fat because I am type I diabetic.

This is not a aimed at you but your results perfectly highlight why I don't think recomp is the best course of action for most people. The margin of error for hydrostatic weighing is quoted to be around 3% which your measurements are well within.

Assuming one moves from a deficit to maintenance or a surplus, then some of the LBM gain will be water/glycogen. I have seen people gain between 1-9lbs of water/glycogen very early on.

The higher end of glycogen only would occur if you are coming off a low carb or low calorie diet. If a person is on a moderator diet with moderate carbs, the increase in calories will be minimal in terms of glycogen storage. Also, taking into consideration, that when the average person increases calories, its generally not pure carbs. Many increase fats since it's easier to add calories. Most people I see in the gaining weight section, gain 2-4 lbs at most. And that is also not pure glycogen anyways because it is also an increase on waste from additional food.

Would this also be true for someone who stays low carb and runs a recomp?

If you increase food consumption, you would increase waste. If you stayed low carb and didn't increase grams of carbs, then glycogen won't really change much. But you still have to consider sodium levels and natural body weight fluctuations associated with cycle.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Considering 500 calories worth of stored glucose in the muscle along with attached water would weigh about 1 lb only - the water weight gain from coming out of deep diet still isn't that much - and that's only if the person had been doing intense cardio and the body was just itching to store more carbs when it finally got them.
    I doubt a diet that deep would allow that intense of a cardio workout.
    I'm sure any workout would feel intense though, just not what it could be.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Jessica, have you considered a cyclic ketogenic diet to decrease the negative aspects of glycogen depletion? (3 days keto then one day high carb)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glen12.htm
  • DebSozo
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Women building muscle anecdote: I did hydrostatic testing 6 months ago and weighed 151 with 18.8% bf. Last week weighed in at 153 with 17.8%. According to the test my lean mass went up from 122 to 125 lb, and my fat dropped by 1 lb. I don't know what the margin or error is, but I reportedly look leaner (people ask if I have lost weight). I eat low-carb, high fat because I am type I diabetic.

This is not a aimed at you but your results perfectly highlight why I don't think recomp is the best course of action for most people. The margin of error for hydrostatic weighing is quoted to be around 3% which your measurements are well within.

Assuming one moves from a deficit to maintenance or a surplus, then some of the LBM gain will be water/glycogen. I have seen people gain between 1-9lbs of water/glycogen very early on.

IMO recomp is great for certain individuals who don't want to bulk but do have time to achieve some definition in the legs and arms and develop a smaller waistline. Women are perfect candidates IMO because some of us do not want to bulk while gaining muscle. I don't want to go up in weight. Ever.

I'm interested in looking good/okay in a bathing suit not in being bodybuilder competition material. I love recomp because I can eat at maintenance level and still improve and change my body shape. Win-win.

http://romanfitnesssystems.com/articles/body-recomp/
  • aadilmkhan871
    aadilmkhan871 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what my daily macronutrient intake should be?
    I want to maintain my weight while cutting my lower stomach fat..
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I assume that is not you in your profile picture............

Set MFP up, select your weight loss goal and eat that number of calories. Also you can't spot reduce fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Well macro's wont' cut at your lower stomach, but general guidelines for macros are:

p - .8-1g /lb of lean body mass
    f - .35-.6g
    c - rest

There is personal variation. So you can go higher fat and lower carb and if you would like, you can go up to 1g of pro per lb of weight or a little higher. Whatever is really going to make you sustain your calories over a period of time and train hard.
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,374 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    "sijomial wrote:
    DebSozo wrote:

@DebSozo

That is a pretty dreadful article full of nonsense and silly rules which actually are personal optional choices and absolutely not requirements for successful recomp. That's just someone trying to make a buck by making something totally normal sound complicated and requiring forcing.
    Just two examples: neither calorie cycling or macro precision are required.

Glad to hear it - I just read that article & thought 'screw that then' if it's that involved- I thought i could recomp by eating at more or less maintenance & doing strength training a few times a week & keeping an eye on protein
  • DebSozo
    edited November 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »

IMO recomp is great for certain individuals who don't want to bulk but do have time to achieve some definition in the legs and arms and develop a smaller waistline. Women are perfect candidates IMO because some of us do not want to bulk while gaining muscle. I don't want to go up in weight. Ever.

I'm interested in looking good/okay in a bathing suit not in being bodybuilder competition material. I love recomp because I can eat at maintenance level and still improve and change my body shape. Win-win.

http://romanfitnesssystems.com/articles/body-recomp/

@DebSozo

That is a pretty dreadful article full of nonsense and silly rules which actually are personal optional choices and absolutely not requirements for successful recomp. That's just someone trying to make a buck by making something totally normal sound complicated and requiring forcing.
    Just two examples: neither calorie cycling or macro precision are required.

Thanks-- I love recomp and plan to continue. I won't post on this thread anymore.

I'm going to calorie cycle as the entire one week averages work better for me than keeping a steady daily amount.

Take care everyone. And thanks again.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    From what it sounds like you have done a bit of recomposition in that time frame. If your clothes fit looser and you have lost inches without losing weight that's an indication that you are losing fat while building muscle. You don't have to try to rush to get to the end and it sounds like you are going at a pace that suits your needs.

This is great to know because this is where I've been the past few months!

• jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Bump. Because I miss seeing new posts on this thread.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the new year :)
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Ditto! B)
  • LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've read this entire thread and I'm eager to start this. I just have a very stubborn 5-10 to go and the holidays slowed me down a bit. I'll probably re-read this thing again before I start. I'll make sure to measure at the beginning as well. Should be fun to watch the changes.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    I've had recomp on my mind for a couple of months now. I hit my goal of 176 a while back and have been fluctuating between that and 180 ever since, pretty steadily, while working hard at body weight exercises and dumbbell routines.

I'm hoping that I'm progressing here, because I'm just not seeing any development, size that is. On the plus side I'm definitely seeing endurance and strength gains but for a wall I hit a week or two ago.

I'll get it figured out eventually. I just don't know enough about all the particulars of training right now, or exactly what to expect and when to expect it.

That said, I do feel worlds better than a year ago, so there's that. :)

Have you been taking pictures? I find some of the places I measure don't change, but I sure look different! Stuff moves around.