CAN'T Give up CANDY!!!!

Options

Replies

• greekyogurtandpuppies
    greekyogurtandpuppies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to get some hate, but if it's preventing you from reaching your goals, just stop cold turkey. You CAN stop eating it. Sugar is addictive and after a while you'll stop craving it, I promise.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    And we've got this week's "sugar is literally like cocaine" comparison.

Funny you should mention that. Look what I came across...
    bzme0jxbvkex.png

I'm fairly sure you've been around the last 257235162565 times this comparison was made and should know it's the same region that activates when you pet a puppy, see your SO or are in general happy about something.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I did!! HUUUUGE. But--I think it would be too peanut buttery for me. My favorites are actually the mini cups. I feel they have the best ratio of peanut butter to chocolate.

LIES! It is a scientific fact that perfection was realized via the Reeses Peanut Butter Egg. It's proof that God exists and that she loves us.
    And......Amen
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to get some hate, but if it's preventing you from reaching your goals, just stop cold turkey. You CAN stop eating it. Sugar is addictive and after a while you'll stop craving it, I promise.

So you think her single Hershey's kiss is what is preventing her from reaching her goals, is pointing towards signs of addiction, and warrants an extreme approach like going cold turkey from all sugar (including that in fruit?)?

• greekyogurtandpuppies
    greekyogurtandpuppies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

So you think her single Hershey's kiss is what is preventing her from reaching her goals, is pointing towards signs of addiction, and warrants an extreme approach like going cold turkey from all sugar (including that in fruit?)?

No, and I don't think she should stop eating it unless it's impacting her goals. Also yes, a single Hershey kiss will usually make you crave more, and if OP caves that isn't good for weight loss.

I have no problem with sugar in fruit! It's added sugar that I am concerned with.

Spelling from personal experience, I haven't had any candy/baked goods/chocolate basically any sweet besides fruit in a year and I haven't had any cravings after a month, and I look leaner.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

No, and I don't think she should stop eating it unless it's impacting her goals. Also yes, a single Hershey kiss will usually make you crave more, and if OP caves that isn't good for weight loss.

I have no problem with sugar in fruit! It's added sugar that I am concerned with.

Spelling from personal experience, I haven't had any candy/baked goods/chocolate basically any sweet besides fruit in a year and I haven't had any cravings after a month, and I look leaner.

But the OP said nothing about lost to control and eating more than one Hershey kiss. She said she has candy every day, sometimes a single kiss and sometimes a bag of skittles. She didn't say once she eats one she can't stop eating them.

Also many, many people, myself included, are perfectly capable of eating a single Hershey's kiss and not craving more. I prefer dark chocolate but can have a single Dove promise or Ghiradelli square and not have cravings for more. They fit in my day and have not prevented me from hitting my goals. Ironically I look leaner than I did last year too.

Lastly, if sugar is addictive, why is the sugar in fruit ok but the sugar in candy isn't? Your body processes it the same way. That's like saying that that an alcoholic can drink wine because it has some other health benefits but shouldn't drink vodka.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

bzme0jxbvkex.png

LOL

as someone else pointed out ..that is the same center that you get a pleasure reaction from petting puppies…

so are you addicted to petting puppy's too?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

bzme0jxbvkex.png

LOL

as someone else pointed out ..that is the same center that you get a pleasure reaction from petting puppies…

Really, if eliciting the same neurotransmitter means it must be the same feeling, this person's view of oxytocin must be disturbing.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

bzme0jxbvkex.png

LOL

Really, if eliciting the same neurotransmitter means it must be the same feeling, this person's view of oxytocin must be disturbing.

that posters view of everything is disturbing..

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

bzme0jxbvkex.png

LOL

One doesn't develop addictive behaviour from petting puppies though. Or maybe you do!? Let's find out...

You feel sluggish or fatigued from excessive puppy-petting:
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

You find yourself petting puppies even when your hands are sore:
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

You have had physical withdrawal symptoms such as agitation and anxiety when you cut down on puppy-petting time. (Do NOT include stuffed toys, etc.):
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

You have spent time dealing with negative feelings from excessive petting of puppies, instead of spending time in important activities such as time with family, friends, work, or recreation:
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

You worry about cutting down on puppy-petting:
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

Issues related to puppies and petting decrease your ability to function effectively (daily routine, job/school, social or family activities, health difficulties):
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

Your behavior with respect to puppies and petting causes you significant distress:
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

In the past 12 months...
    You kept petting the same breeds or numbers of puppies despite significant emotional and/or physical problems related to your petting
    Yes
    No

Petting the same number of puppies does not reduce negative emotions or increase pleasurable feelings the way it used to:
    Yes
    No

Well? How'd you do?
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    There's some good tasting sugar free candies out there
  • ndj1979
    Options

bzme0jxbvkex.png

LOL

One doesn't develop addictive behaviour from petting puppies though. Or maybe you do!? Let's find out...

Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

You have had physical withdrawal symptoms such as agitation and anxiety when you cut down on puppy-petting time. (Do NOT include stuffed toys, etc.):
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

You have spent time dealing with negative feelings from excessive petting of puppies, instead of spending time in important activities such as time with family, friends, work, or recreation:
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

Issues related to puppies and petting decrease your ability to function effectively (daily routine, job/school, social or family activities, health difficulties):
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

Your behavior with respect to puppies and petting causes you significant distress:
    Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

In the past 12 months...
    You kept petting the same breeds or numbers of puppies despite significant emotional and/or physical problems related to your petting
    Yes
    No

Petting the same number of puppies does not reduce negative emotions or increase pleasurable feelings the way it used to:
    Yes
    No

Well? How'd you do?

i am not going to play the question game with you; however, the point, which you have totally missed, is that petting puppies stimulates the same part of the brain as in the photo that you posted, so trying to correlate that to cocaine is ridiculous, because if you did the same scan and compared cocaine to petting puppies you would get the same result. Thus, you are using a faulty comparison method.

Is that getting through?
  • senecarr
    Options

bzme0jxbvkex.png

LOL

Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

Never
    Once per month
    2-4 times per month
    2-4 times per week
    4+ times per week

In the past 12 months...
    Yes
    No

Yes
    No

Well? How'd you do?

So if I answer never / no to all these questions for sugar, you'll admit it isn't an addiction?
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    jacklfc88 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Haha everyone getting shirty. I haven't said sugar is evil, people need to go and read where I said I have some sweets whilst I am training. I have some myself at other times.

But the OP has put 6lbs on and eats sweets a lot and wants to lose it. Common sense is to reduce it or cut it out if they wanna lose it again, don't you think? If you wanna cut you gotta lose body fat. If you wanna lose body fat then reduce unnecessary carb intake such as sweets. End of.

or just eat less of EVERYTHING..

if you want to reduce body fat you eat less calories, carb intake has nothing to do with it; unless of course your carb intake is putting you in a surplus.

Which sweets more than likely are.

Nope. That's an assumption. You are are making assumptions on how people lose weight and what they have to do.

Not really. Man I am getting bored of repeating myself here. For the final time, pay attention, are you ready?

The OP said they can't stop eating sweets.

Doesn't take a genius to work out what MAY not be helping diet wise.

And at the same time have made statements about everyone in general needing to not eat sweets on a regular basis if they want to drop the fat they want but at the same time there have been people in this thread alone that said they do eat it in a regular basis and hit their goals but yet you ignore that fact.

No, just not advocating including sweets in a diet. As an odd treat yeah. As part of a lifestyle and diet no. Have you ever seen any serious training guide suggest sweets as part of a daily diet? I haven't.

But each to their own.

I generally stay away from these threads but I had to answer this with "Layne Norton". Because science.
  • senecarr
    Options

bzme0jxbvkex.png
    Alright, let's go back to high school lock and key explanations of biological activation.
    In both cases down, the "locks" in the reward center have been activated.
    In the case of sugar, the "key" is your own body making dopamine.
    In the cocaine picture, it is actually cocaine or metabolites there of acting as the "key".
    Your body has rate limiting feedback loops that prevent dopamine from continuously being pumped out - every time the lock and key pair, they activate signals that tell your body, "OK, stop producing keys".
    Since cocaine comes from outside your body, your body has no way to stop key production.
    This is the difference in a physically addictive opioid.
    No college course necessary if you had a decent high school biology course.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My advice is give up candy. The reason why... you used the word CAN'T. There are things a person can't do, say... like breathing. You can't give up breathing. Candy isn't essential for you to live. It's a luxury thing. One point I couldn't give up potato chips. Now I live just fine and happy without potato chips. That mayo that I once couldn't do without, that mayo that still is the center of my family's diet... I do just fine without it. Stop candy completely. Learn to live without it. Once you have regained a healthy outlook for it, then buy you a piece here and there.
  • senecarr
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Haha everyone getting shirty. I haven't said sugar is evil, people need to go and read where I said I have some sweets whilst I am training. I have some myself at other times.

But the OP has put 6lbs on and eats sweets a lot and wants to lose it. Common sense is to reduce it or cut it out if they wanna lose it again, don't you think? If you wanna cut you gotta lose body fat. If you wanna lose body fat then reduce unnecessary carb intake such as sweets. End of.

or just eat less of EVERYTHING..

if you want to reduce body fat you eat less calories, carb intake has nothing to do with it; unless of course your carb intake is putting you in a surplus.

Which sweets more than likely are.

Nope. That's an assumption. You are are making assumptions on how people lose weight and what they have to do.

Not really. Man I am getting bored of repeating myself here. For the final time, pay attention, are you ready?

The OP said they can't stop eating sweets.

Doesn't take a genius to work out what MAY not be helping diet wise.

And at the same time have made statements about everyone in general needing to not eat sweets on a regular basis if they want to drop the fat they want but at the same time there have been people in this thread alone that said they do eat it in a regular basis and hit their goals but yet you ignore that fact.

No, just not advocating including sweets in a diet. As an odd treat yeah. As part of a lifestyle and diet no. Have you ever seen any serious training guide suggest sweets as part of a daily diet? I haven't.

But each to their own.

I generally stay away from these threads but I had to answer this with "Layne Norton". Because science.

Was his answer take it with 5g of Leucine and you'll be good?
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

i am not going to play the question game with you; however, the point, which you have totally missed, is that petting puppies stimulates the same part of the brain as in the photo that you posted, so trying to correlate that to cocaine is ridiculous, because if you did the same scan and compared cocaine to petting puppies you would get the same result. Thus, you are using a faulty comparison method.

Is that getting through?

Yes, I was aware of the point you were trying to make. And the point I was trying to make is there are two elements of addiction (as identified in the text that accompanies the photo)... dopamine reaction is one, and 'addictive reactions' is the other.
    So petting puppies (like any other pleasurable activity) may stimulate a dopamine reaction, but it doesn't lead to addictive reactions (the point of the quiz is that it identifies these). This is likely because the speed, intensity and reliability of dopamine release is not as great with puppies as it is with concentrated sugar/drugs.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

So if I answer never / no to all these questions for sugar, you'll admit it isn't an addiction?

That would mean *you* aren't addicted. Someone who answers 'four times a week or more' and 'yes' to all those questions very likely is.

• Chrysalid2014
    Options

bzme0jxbvkex.png
    Alright, let's go back to high school lock and key explanations of biological activation.
    In both cases down, the "locks" in the reward center have been activated.
    In the case of sugar, the "key" is your own body making dopamine.
    In the cocaine picture, it is actually cocaine or metabolites there of acting as the "key".
    Your body has rate limiting feedback loops that prevent dopamine from continuously being pumped out - every time the lock and key pair, they activate signals that tell your body, "OK, stop producing keys".
    Since cocaine comes from outside your body, your body has no way to stop key production.
    This is the difference in a physically addictive opioid.
    No college course necessary if you had a decent high school biology course.

I quit biology after tenth grade. (I didn't like the idea of cutting up cats.)
    ... So I don't have the knowledge to make any kind of judgement about your explanation, but I do think if it were that simple the scientific community would not currently be devoting so much time/resource/effort to debating the subject.