CAN'T Give up CANDY!!!!

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

So if I answer never / no to all these questions for sugar, you'll admit it isn't an addiction?

That would mean *you* aren't addicted. Someone who answers 'four times a week or more' and 'yes' to all those questions very likely is.
    So you just assume there are no people addicted to petting puppies by those standards?
    And oddly if someone answered yes to the above for it, I'd suspect OCD rather than addiction.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    And we've got this week's "sugar is literally like cocaine" comparison.

Funny you should mention that. Look what I came across...
    bzme0jxbvkex.png
    Alright, let's go back to high school lock and key explanations of biological activation.
    In both cases down, the "locks" in the reward center have been activated.
    In the case of sugar, the "key" is your own body making dopamine.
    In the cocaine picture, it is actually cocaine or metabolites there of acting as the "key".
    Your body has rate limiting feedback loops that prevent dopamine from continuously being pumped out - every time the lock and key pair, they activate signals that tell your body, "OK, stop producing keys".
    Since cocaine comes from outside your body, your body has no way to stop key production.
    This is the difference in a physically addictive opioid.
    No college course necessary if you had a decent high school biology course.

I quit biology after tenth grade. (I didn't like the idea of cutting up cats.)
    ... So I don't have the knowledge to make any kind of judgement about your explanation, but I do think if it were that simple the scientific community would not currently be devoting so much time/resource/effort to debating the subject.
    Teach the controversy gambit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

i am not going to play the question game with you; however, the point, which you have totally missed, is that petting puppies stimulates the same part of the brain as in the photo that you posted, so trying to correlate that to cocaine is ridiculous, because if you did the same scan and compared cocaine to petting puppies you would get the same result. Thus, you are using a faulty comparison method.

Is that getting through?

Yes, I was aware of the point you were trying to make. And the point I was trying to make is there are two elements of addiction (as identified in the text that accompanies the photo)... dopamine reaction is one, and 'addictive reactions' is the other.
    So petting puppies (like any other pleasurable activity) may stimulate a dopamine reaction, but it doesn't lead to addictive reactions (the point of the quiz is that it identifies these). This is likely because the speed, intensity and reliability of dopamine release is not as great with puppies as it is with concentrated sugar/drugs.

therefore, sugar stimulating dopamine center has absolutely nothing to do with sugar addiction, and you never should of even posted that picture as it proves absolutely nothing.

I am glad we cleared that up.

• ndj1979
    Options

bzme0jxbvkex.png
    Alright, let's go back to high school lock and key explanations of biological activation.
    In both cases down, the "locks" in the reward center have been activated.
    In the case of sugar, the "key" is your own body making dopamine.
    In the cocaine picture, it is actually cocaine or metabolites there of acting as the "key".
    Your body has rate limiting feedback loops that prevent dopamine from continuously being pumped out - every time the lock and key pair, they activate signals that tell your body, "OK, stop producing keys".
    Since cocaine comes from outside your body, your body has no way to stop key production.
    This is the difference in a physically addictive opioid.
    No college course necessary if you had a decent high school biology course.

I quit biology after tenth grade. (I didn't like the idea of cutting up cats.)
    ... So I don't have the knowledge to make any kind of judgement about your explanation, but I do think if it were that simple the scientific community would not currently be devoting so much time/resource/effort to debating the subject.

LOL but you do have the knowledge to make ridiculous claims about sugar addiction????
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i am just going to put this here..
    http://www.clinicalnutritionjournal.com/article/S0261-5614(09)00239-8/abstract
    Methods
    By considering the relevant literature a series of predictions were examined, derived from the hypothesis that addiction to sucrose consumption can develop. Fasting should increase food cravings, predominantly for sweet items; cravings should occur after an overnight fast; the obese should find sweetness particularly attractive; a high-sugar consumption should predispose to obesity. More specifically predictions based on the hypothesis that addiction to sugar is central to bingeing disorders were developed. Dieting should predate the development of bingeing; dietary style rather than psychological, social and economic factors should be predispose to eating disorders; sweet items should be preferentially consumed while bingeing; opioid antagonists should cause withdrawal symptoms; bingeing should develop at a younger age when there is a greater preference for sweetness.

Results
    The above predications have in common that on no occasion was the behaviour predicted by an animal model of sucrose addiction supported by human studies.

Conclusion
    There is no support from the human literature for the hypothesis that sucrose may be physically addictive or that addiction to sugar plays a role in eating disorders.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

i am not going to play the question game with you; however, the point, which you have totally missed, is that petting puppies stimulates the same part of the brain as in the photo that you posted, so trying to correlate that to cocaine is ridiculous, because if you did the same scan and compared cocaine to petting puppies you would get the same result. Thus, you are using a faulty comparison method.

Is that getting through?

Yes, I was aware of the point you were trying to make. And the point I was trying to make is there are two elements of addiction (as identified in the text that accompanies the photo)... dopamine reaction is one, and 'addictive reactions' is the other.
    So petting puppies (like any other pleasurable activity) may stimulate a dopamine reaction, but it doesn't lead to addictive reactions (the point of the quiz is that it identifies these). This is likely because the speed, intensity and reliability of dopamine release is not as great with puppies as it is with concentrated sugar/drugs.

therefore, sugar stimulating dopamine center has absolutely nothing to do with sugar addiction, and you never should of even posted that picture as it proves absolutely nothing.

It does have *something* to do with it but that's not the only consideration. i.e., All addictive substances stimulate a dopamine reaction, but not everything that stimulates a dopamine reaction is addictive. Petting puppies being one example of the latter.

This is a good piece that explains it...
    http://www.helpguide.org/harvard/how-addiction-hijacks-the-brain.htm

• ndj1979
    Options

Is that getting through?

It does have *something* to do with it but that's not the only consideration. i.e., All addictive substances stimulate a dopamine reaction, but not everything that stimulates a dopamine reaction is addictive. Petting puppies being one example of the latter.

it is a spacious conclusion, or as some would say observational bias.

you can't just post a picture of cocaine and sugar stimulation and correlate them when we know that anything that causes pleasure - like petting puppies - stimulate the same region.

if I posted the same picture and put cocaine vs petting puppies you would call it an absurd comparison.
    I am done talking about this with you as you have totally derailed this thread.

if you want, start your own thread, and post the picture there for further debate.

• Chrysalid2014
    Options

Is that getting through?

it is a spacious conclusion, or as some would say observational bias.

you can't just post a picture of cocaine and sugar stimulation and correlate them when we know that anything that causes pleasure - like petting puppies - stimulate the same region.

if I posted the same picture and put cocaine vs petting puppies you would call it an absurd comparison.
    I am done talking about this with you as you have totally derailed this thread.

if you want, start your own thread, and post the picture there for further debate.

Night night then!
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Ok. I think I can understand sugar not being addictive but I believe chicolate is.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    i am just going to put this here..
    http://www.clinicalnutritionjournal.com/article/S0261-5614(09)00239-8/abstract
    Methods
    By considering the relevant literature a series of predictions were examined, derived from the hypothesis that addiction to sucrose consumption can develop. Fasting should increase food cravings, predominantly for sweet items; cravings should occur after an overnight fast; the obese should find sweetness particularly attractive; a high-sugar consumption should predispose to obesity. More specifically predictions based on the hypothesis that addiction to sugar is central to bingeing disorders were developed. Dieting should predate the development of bingeing; dietary style rather than psychological, social and economic factors should be predispose to eating disorders; sweet items should be preferentially consumed while bingeing; opioid antagonists should cause withdrawal symptoms; bingeing should develop at a younger age when there is a greater preference for sweetness.

Results
    The above predications have in common that on no occasion was the behaviour predicted by an animal model of sucrose addiction supported by human studies.

Conclusion
    There is no support from the human literature for the hypothesis that sucrose may be physically addictive or that addiction to sugar plays a role in eating disorders.

I believe this is the paper that was funded by the World Sugar Research Organization (an international scientific research organisation supported by the sugar industry globally). Correct me if I'm wrong.

That doesn’t mean it’s necessarily biased, of course. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Ok. I think I can understand sugar not being addictive but I believe chicolate is.

Based on what are you making that distinction?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I tell you what is sneaky and evil... I used to work for McDonalds. The buns are toasted and "caramelised" to give a sweeter taste to make you want more. I used to crave burgers on my days off. It was more than a little creepy. I wouldn't say I was addicted but it definitely makes you think. Companies can be crafty :lol:
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I suppose......it depends on how one defines addiction in the first place.
    As a person who has dealt with the obsession and compulsion to use and abuse a number of substances, in spite of negative consequences.....I can buy that 'some' people could define themselves as being addicted to sugar.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I love this.......you can insert 'cookies' for alcohol/cocaine/cigarettes/money.....
    I simply live with a concerted effort to not be owned by any substance anymore.

You go into the kitchen, and there is a plate of cookies on the counter.

When you see the cookies you want one. That is an impulse.

Although it may require some effort and it may be uncomfortable to do so, you, on your own, can choose to quell the impulse.

You eat all the cookies without thinking. That is a compulsion.

You will likely need help to deal with your compulsion, but "human aide" through either behavioral or cognitive therapy, possibly in conjunction with a medication, can eventually help you see a plate of cookies and choose whether or not to have some.

You eat all the cookies whether they are yours or not, and then you drive all over town looking for bakeries and 24 hour supermarkets. When life prevents you from continuing your cookie search you spend a good amount of time thinking about cookies, justifying and/or hiding your behavior, and planning when and how you can get more cookies.

That is an obsession of the mind, and it is a key component of addiction.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

bzme0jxbvkex.png

LOL

as someone else pointed out ..that is the same center that you get a pleasure reaction from petting puppies…

so are you addicted to petting puppy's too?
    Really, if eliciting the same neurotransmitter means it must be the same feeling, this person's view of oxytocin must be disturbing.

I remember reading an article online claiming that because verbal abuse has a similar effect to physical abuse on the brain of the recipient, insulting someone was exactly the same as striking them. I considered trying this technique in my next bout (should work, right?), but in the end I decided to stick with the more traditional "punching and kicking" strategy.

Still, "TKO due to harsh invective" would have looked pretty badass on my record
  • Chrysalid2014
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I love this.......you can insert 'cookies' for alcohol/cocaine/cigarettes/money.....
    I simply live with a concerted effort to not be owned by any substance anymore.

When you see the cookies you want one. That is an impulse.

Although it may require some effort and it may be uncomfortable to do so, you, on your own, can choose to quell the impulse.

You eat all the cookies without thinking. That is a compulsion.

You will likely need help to deal with your compulsion, but "human aide" through either behavioral or cognitive therapy, possibly in conjunction with a medication, can eventually help you see a plate of cookies and choose whether or not to have some.

You eat all the cookies whether they are yours or not, and then you drive all over town looking for bakeries and 24 hour supermarkets. When life prevents you from continuing your cookie search you spend a good amount of time thinking about cookies, justifying and/or hiding your behavior, and planning when and how you can get more cookies.

That is an obsession of the mind, and it is a key component of addiction.

This is great.
    I think a lot of people here who are 'against' the idea of sugar addiction have experienced scenarios 1 and/or 2 themselves and think that's what people are talking about when they say they are addicted to sugar.

• Omar_Apocrypha
    Omar_Apocrypha Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You can change the candy by fruits, as I chang it and the cola by milk , and I using a recipe that helped me to less my craving to sugar , which is :smile:
    100 g of fresh parsley spring,
    1 lemon without membrane
    And 500 ml of water
    In blender and drink it , I know its may not good taste but its working with me I dont know how is it with you .