Options
167891012»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    And we've got this week's "sugar is literally like cocaine" comparison.

Funny you should mention that. Look what I came across...
    bzme0jxbvkex.png

LOL

as someone else pointed out ..that is the same center that you get a pleasure reaction from petting puppies…

so are you addicted to petting puppy's too?
    Really, if eliciting the same neurotransmitter means it must be the same feeling, this person's view of oxytocin must be disturbing.

I seriously almost laughed my laptop onto the floor.

• LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have this problem so I bought snack size ziploc bags and whatever the amount to eat on the bag is that is what I place in my little snack bags for my treat and split the whole bag up equally
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Uses the Yale FOOD Addiction Scale methodology to screen for addiction to petting puppies.

Seems legit.

The abstract for this, which is authored by the writers/researchers behind the Yale Food Addiction Scale, should convince you that the science behind this is still in the research phase. Nothing has been nailed down, @Chrysalid2014. Everything they've published says that their findings simply call for more research.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I tell you what is sneaky and evil... I used to work for McDonalds. The buns are toasted and "caramelised" to give a sweeter taste to make you want more. I used to crave burgers on my days off. It was more than a little creepy. I wouldn't say I was addicted but it definitely makes you think. Companies can be crafty :lol:

Don't home cooks ever do that? Toasting buns really isn't that uncommon.

I almost never eat fast food (well, as I define it, I'm never sure precisely what's in the category) because I don't really think it tastes that good. I do go to all kinds of restaurants, both fine dining sorts and cool hole in the wall or ethnic places--where I live there are tons of good restaurants, annoyingly without calorie counts, of course--and I firmly expect them to use all the usual chef tricks to make the food taste as good as possible. If they didn't, why on earth would I want to eat out, if it was just like eating at home? (And I also do try to cook as well as possible at home, although I avoid higher calorie ingredients/amounts and have more control there, of course.)

I'm no apologist for McD's, but criticizing it for trying to make the food tastier seems wrong. At least, I wouldn't say that was creepy, I'd say it's one (small) way in which it's like any other restaurant/cook.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I love this.......you can insert 'cookies' for alcohol/cocaine/cigarettes/money.....
    I simply live with a concerted effort to not be owned by any substance anymore.

You go into the kitchen, and there is a plate of cookies on the counter.

When you see the cookies you want one. That is an impulse.

Although it may require some effort and it may be uncomfortable to do so, you, on your own, can choose to quell the impulse.

You eat all the cookies without thinking. That is a compulsion.

You will likely need help to deal with your compulsion, but "human aide" through either behavioral or cognitive therapy, possibly in conjunction with a medication, can eventually help you see a plate of cookies and choose whether or not to have some.

You eat all the cookies whether they are yours or not, and then you drive all over town looking for bakeries and 24 hour supermarkets. When life prevents you from continuing your cookie search you spend a good amount of time thinking about cookies, justifying and/or hiding your behavior, and planning when and how you can get more cookies.

That is an obsession of the mind, and it is a key component of addiction.

This is great.
    I think a lot of people here who are 'against' the idea of sugar addiction have experienced scenarios 1 and/or 2 themselves and think that's what people are talking about when they say they are addicted to sugar.

It is true that I don't believe more than a very few people would experience anything like the latter and they are likely to have classified EDs (which is what that would be) or their reaction not be limited to "added sugar" (as with food addicts).

I do note that you are weirdly invested in claiming there's such a thing as "added sugar" addiction and that that's somehow why you need to lose weight and that everyone who mentions struggling with eating too many sweets must have it.