senecarr wrote: »
    miriamtob wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    miriamtob wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    mwyvr wrote: »
    mwyvr wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    I drink Diet Coke, it does not make me want to eat more, nor does it make me want more sweets.

While that may be true for you it doesn't follow that's the same case for everyone.

FTFY

FTFY.

Artificial sweeteners may increase weight gain or slowc weight loss in some individuals because poorer choices are made elsewhere in their diets, or because they become our remain addicted to sweetened foods and consume more such foods with caloric impact. Affect all? No, but for sure some.

As for physical impacts it's early days but sufficient research exists to warrant caution.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/health/artificial-sweeteners-linked-to-obesity-epidemic-scientists-say-1.2769196

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24862170

Funding Agencies: The study was fully funded by The American Beverage Association.
    Disclosure: JCP, JOH received consulting fees from The Coca-Cola Company outside of the submitted work. The remaining co-authors declared no conflict of interest.

This doesn't mean the study is bad or invalid. It just means to look a bit harder at the science-y bits and conclusions to see if there's bias there. Often, there isn't; sometimes, there is.

Major conflict of interest. One strike.
    All the participants had to be drinkers of NNS beverages to begin with. That's odd. Also, the graph at the end showing 5% is misleading, arbitrary and indicates bias when examined critically. It could have just as easily been a graph showing "percent of people who lost 1% or gained 2.4%, etc..."; manipulate the data subtly to make it look the way your client wants it to look. Need to see better studies that show the long term effects and are not funded by beverage companies.

Man, if only there was a link like I gave before to examine, which had a half dozen or more studies about these things.

And if only it were possible to recognize and attempt to combat our own biases instead of being a warrior of righteousness.

I personally don't see an issue with this study especially when taken in conjunction with the others.

Nice try assuming my biases. I actually drink diet sodas on occasion and have an open food diary to prove it. I am biased against bad science, however.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Diet coke gives me a massive headache. I don't know why, I wanted to like it. When I was young, Coke was a favorite. First time I had a cigarette it made me sick, shoulda listened to that. I quit smoking, but it was years later. If a person never got a headache from it, then they didn't....but if you did at first... Your body might have been telling you something. I wonder how many diet coke drinkers can actually give it up. My observation is it sure appears to be addictive.
    Hi, I am Dani, and I am a Pepsi-holic. I have given up Diet Pepsi and Pepsi many, many times over the years. I miss it the first week and then I am okay...until I think, I can have just one, once in a while. Just like an addiction I am hooked again! I have not had a Pepsi since March 6, 2015.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    inb4 addiction argument
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Wolf___ wrote: »
    LOL... I couldn't care less if people drink Diet Coke, Regular Coke, or toilet bowl water.

Neither do I. It's their health, not mine.

Yet you keep posting.