Disturbing trend on MFP….

Options

Replies

• wmeyerbill455
    wmeyerbill455 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Found out late in life after too many painful post meal episodes that I was lactose intolerant, oh and glutine was not so good either. That didn't leave much to eat on the menu, except lean meat, fish, eggs, fruits and veggies. Did I also mention that drinking was also something I can rarely do. Yeah, NAFLD. So, picking the low cal option is the only option for me and going out to eat is only when I have no other choice as I have a far greater variety of foods I can eat if I prepare my own food since very few resturants do a good job with folks who have food intolerances. It isn't impossible though.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I just find it strange..

are people really this helpless???

No, they're not helpless, they're learning. We all know that people come here with varying beliefs about nutrition, food, and weight loss.

So new users join the site, they learn about calorie deficits and weighing food, and start losing weight. Everything is going great, they're seeing losses on the scales, and they're happy. They've probably got some niche meals that they eat regularly because they know the calories and macros for those meals, and have gotten comfortable with their routine.

Then the inevitable night out/party/event arrives, and they're not sure what to do. They don't want to slow their progress, but they want to have fun. So they come here asking the usual questions - what do I order? How do I figure out portion sizes by eyeballing? Should I exercise more that day? What about other foods, should I not eat other meals just in case? We've all seen questions like that, and some of us may have even asked them ourselves.

Then the night comes, they have a good time, get on the scale, and find out that everything's ok. That one night didn't derail their progress, and it's what they do the majority of the time that matters.

Everyone on this site has had to figure something out during this process; some people are still figuring things out as they go. That's not a character flaw, it's part of being human, and the entire point of these forums is for people to interact, support, and learn from one another. There's no shame in asking questions of others to help you reach your goals, and if someone finds another user's question to be a bother…they don't have to respond.

*applause

Thank you! I have been in that same "oh crap I'm going to a restaurant for the first time since I started losing weight, what do I do?" situation and was very unsure of myself. Now that I have gotten it under my belt, learned more about the weight loss process and nutrition in general, it isn't a big deal anymore. So, saying those posts are stupid, or ridiculing people for being "that helpless" isn't really fair. The OP was probably helpful to some new people, wasn't that the point? Or, maybe the point was to eventually make fun of new people some more, as per usual.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    hahah this is hilarious. People are that helpless, I feel the same about all the women that don't know how to handle their period - should I work out, should I weight? Ladies it's something we do every month for years and years, but suddenly when on MFP they don't know how to handle it. Or how to NOT eat all the food on a holiday....ugh.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    I actually dissected a kebab today to figure out the calorie content. lol

I took apart a damn tuna hoagie the other day to weigh the individual components. The extra helping of shame put me over my calorie goal for the day.

Sorry for the off topic but are you from near Philly? There arent many people that i know who call it a hoagie.

I'm 10 minutes from Center City (on the Jersey side of the Delaware) and can hear the stadium fireworks from my front yard. You nearby?

Was it from Wawa? B)

Dude. I'm in the land of the hoagie! Wawa may be the best convenience store in the world, but South Jersey's best hoagie shop is a 5 minute walk from my house.

I enjoy a good Capriotti's. The Bobbie. Enough said.

Capastrami. That is the thing dreams are made of.

Okay, why don't we have any of these things on the West coast? First pizza, now the hoagies are better in the East?

Don't forget bagels. You cannot find a decent bagel outside of the NY Metro area.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »

I took apart a damn tuna hoagie the other day to weigh the individual components. The extra helping of shame put me over my calorie goal for the day.

Sorry for the off topic but are you from near Philly? There arent many people that i know who call it a hoagie.

I'm 10 minutes from Center City (on the Jersey side of the Delaware) and can hear the stadium fireworks from my front yard. You nearby?

Was it from Wawa? B)

Dude. I'm in the land of the hoagie! Wawa may be the best convenience store in the world, but South Jersey's best hoagie shop is a 5 minute walk from my house.

Okay, why don't we have any of these things on the West coast? First pizza, now the hoagies are better in the East?

Don't forget bagels. You cannot find a decent bagel outside of the NY Metro area.

Probably a good thing I'm in Washington, because I don't have to say: "Living in the East made me fat".
    laughs
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

Was it from Wawa? B)

IMO pizza is better in the midwest--I find New England pizza (first CT and now Boston) to be very greasy and the crust tastes like cardboard.

Lobsters, clams, oysters? Yeah, we're pretty good at that out here.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

Was it from Wawa? B)

IMO pizza is better in the midwest--I find New England pizza (first CT and now Boston) to be very greasy and the crust tastes like cardboard.

Pizza is much better in NY and Philly than New England .
  • GettinItMommy
    GettinItMommy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ndj THanks for the laugh!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Was it from Wawa? B)

Especially New York City pizza...yumm
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I just find it strange..

are people really this helpless???

No, they're not helpless, they're learning. We all know that people come here with varying beliefs about nutrition, food, and weight loss.

So new users join the site, they learn about calorie deficits and weighing food, and start losing weight. Everything is going great, they're seeing losses on the scales, and they're happy. They've probably got some niche meals that they eat regularly because they know the calories and macros for those meals, and have gotten comfortable with their routine.

Then the inevitable night out/party/event arrives, and they're not sure what to do. They don't want to slow their progress, but they want to have fun. So they come here asking the usual questions - what do I order? How do I figure out portion sizes by eyeballing? Should I exercise more that day? What about other foods, should I not eat other meals just in case? We've all seen questions like that, and some of us may have even asked them ourselves.

Then the night comes, they have a good time, get on the scale, and find out that everything's ok. That one night didn't derail their progress, and it's what they do the majority of the time that matters.

Everyone on this site has had to figure something out during this process; some people are still figuring things out as they go. That's not a character flaw, it's part of being human, and the entire point of these forums is for people to interact, support, and learn from one another. There's no shame in asking questions of others to help you reach your goals, and if someone finds another user's question to be a bother…they don't have to respond.

*applause

Thank you! I have been in that same "oh crap I'm going to a restaurant for the first time since I started losing weight, what do I do?" situation and was very unsure of myself. Now that I have gotten it under my belt, learned more about the weight loss process and nutrition in general, it isn't a big deal anymore. So, saying those posts are stupid, or ridiculing people for being "that helpless" isn't really fair. The OP was probably helpful to some new people, wasn't that the point? Or, maybe the point was to eventually make fun of new people some more, as per usual.

That' true. I have been here for a while and I still have trouble with East Indian food. It's my favourite but none in my city put nutritional info online. I usually just log it as my daily allotment now, exercise a bit, eat a light 2nd meal (like tuna) and hope for the best. It did reduce how often I ate at East Indian restaurants now... I tend to choose restaurants that do display nutritional info now. I've learned some nice subtle techniques to nudge people in the direction of those restaurants hahah.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Was it from Wawa? B)

Nevada isn't totally worthless anymore! I was just glad when I didn't have to drive to Roseville to get In'n'Out Burger. Then we got Chipotle. Now we're about to get a Dunkin Doughnuts (right next to Target, Buffalo Wild Wings AND Chipotle... how damn dangerous is THAT?!) Now if we could get an IKEA up in this place I would have to strongly consider staying and not force DH to go to the PNW ... though we will never have Caffe Ladro, and that's sad.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Was it from Wawa? B)

I had THE sexiest pizza ever in NY. At Gotham Pizza. I had to eat there because Batman. :lol: NY City is my fave place in the whole world. The UK blows in comparison.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Was it from Wawa? B)

QFT!
  • Azexas
    Options

Was it from Wawa? B)

I had THE sexiest pizza ever in NY. At Gotham Pizza. I had to eat there because Batman. :lol: NY City is my fave place in the whole world. The UK blows in comparison.

I live a little bit north of the city, but I go in quite a bit for concerts. Where is gotham pizza? I'll have to add it to my list of place to go.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »

Was it from Wawa? B)

I love my Wawa!!!

The biggest news in my area is the city approved a plan for a wawa. I had tears of joy.

We're getting a WaWa!?!

snoopy-dance.gif
    Options

Was it from Wawa? B)

I live a little bit north of the city, but I go in quite a bit for concerts. Where is gotham pizza? I'll have to add it to my list of place to go.

I've just looked at my photo... It is 852 eighth avenue. Between 51st and 52nd st if that means anything to you? (Dumb Brit here... I got quite lost)
  • Azexas
    Options

Was it from Wawa? B)

I've just looked at my photo... It is 852 eighth avenue. Between 51st and 52nd st if that means anything to you? (Dumb Brit here... I got quite lost)

Thank you!!

and no worries- I am in the city at least once a month and I get lost almost every time I'm there.
    Options

Was it from Wawa? B)

Thank you!!

and no worries- I am in the city at least once a month and I get lost almost every time I'm there.

It was by far the best thing I ate in the 5 days I was there. I got a little bit obsessed with Papaya Dog Philly cheese steaks too :lol:
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Was it from Wawa? B)

Most pizza in New England is horrible. It's mostly Greek style and, as you said, very greasy, too think and tasteless. One exception is New Haven. Frank Pepe's is amazing! However, it is tough to walk more than a couple of blocks in NY, LI and NJ without passing by about 5 really good pizzerias.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Is there a pizza thread/group on MFP?