Disturbing trend on MFP….

Options

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    cough: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/106766-for-the-love-of-pizza

....I didn't just make a pizza group or anything

First!

You're a quick one! *that's what she said* I think I got sloppy seconds though.

Hey when it comes to pizza, finding those leftovers is pure bliss.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    terar21 wrote: »
    Meh, it's simple if you don't eat out often. You probably don't have to worry too much about what you order no matter what. I think the issue is many of the people asking are used to eating out for more meals than they don't and in many case are even coming from a point in their lives where they don't exercise or haven't for very long. It's easy for the guy/gal who runs 10 miles a day or has been bulking/cutting for years and is 10% body fat to say "it's just one day!" Maybe it 99% mental but it's still a valid thing.

I eat out a TON due to frequent work travel and general laziness. If you're gonna be "about that restaurant life," it's pretty simple as long as you're realistic.

1. I know I will weigh more tomorrow because there's no such thing as low sodium at a restaurant...even if it tastes bland.
    2. Plan in advance and be aware of the sum total of my calories and macros for the day. If I know I'm eating out that night, I'm going to be more judicious with my calories throughout the day.
    3. Double meat...because I need my protein.
    4. No nutritional facts isn't the end of the world. I live in a city where majority of the restaurants don't have nutritional facts. I recognize that fried shrimp at restaurant X isn't going to be wildly different than fried shrimp from chilis so I log chilis. log high when in doubt.
    5. If I do pack on a real pound, I adjust accordingly the next week.
    6. Have the mental awareness that in the grand scheme of things, an extra 1000 calories in a week is not deadly.
    7. Every time I eat out is really just an excuse to order steak in some way shape or form. Thanks cows!

Again, said every fit person ever. Tell that to the dude that's 300lbs and just started walking for exercise. You're seeing it from a different place and that's fine. Also, 1000 calories a week isn't deadly but if you have your goals set to lose a pound a week that extra 1000 calories every week means you're now losing .72 lbs a week. Probably not a big deal to the bulk/cutter who again, is probably only dropping a few pounds but for someone with 30, 40, 50lbs to lose that adds weeks and weeks and weeks to getting to your goal.

I had the same attitude when i was 220 as i did when i was 170. So i think you are making a huge generalization based on your own experience. Its possible you have food issues but not all of us do.

Also i got down to my current weight (which is lower than my high school weight) while not stressing going over calories and enjoying date nights. Do i make better decisions and am i more selective on my choices, yes but if i go over i dont care. So the issue ia probably in how you think of food.

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    @NDJ1979 this thread is awesome! Today I learned:

1. Keep doing what I'm doing when eating out (not giving a F*@K)
    2. I need to find a WaWa stat!
    3. Create a MFP Support Group - "Help - I can't decide what to eat!!!"
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Meh, it's simple if you don't eat out often. You probably don't have to worry too much about what you order no matter what. I think the issue is many of the people asking are used to eating out for more meals than they don't and in many case are even coming from a point in their lives where they don't exercise or haven't for very long. It's easy for the guy/gal who runs 10 miles a day or has been bulking/cutting for years and is 10% body fat to say "it's just one day!" Maybe it 99% mental but it's still a valid thing.

I eat out a TON due to frequent work travel and general laziness. If you're gonna be "about that restaurant life," it's pretty simple as long as you're realistic.

1. I know I will weigh more tomorrow because there's no such thing as low sodium at a restaurant...even if it tastes bland.
    2. Plan in advance and be aware of the sum total of my calories and macros for the day. If I know I'm eating out that night, I'm going to be more judicious with my calories throughout the day.
    4. No nutritional facts isn't the end of the world. I live in a city where majority of the restaurants don't have nutritional facts. I recognize that fried shrimp at restaurant X isn't going to be wildly different than fried shrimp from chilis so I log chilis. log high when in doubt.
    6. Have the mental awareness that in the grand scheme of things, an extra 1000 calories in a week is not deadly.
    7. Every time I eat out is really just an excuse to order steak in some way shape or form. Thanks cows!

Again, said every fit person ever. Tell that to the dude that's 300lbs and just started walking for exercise. You're seeing it from a different place and that's fine. Also, 1000 calories a week isn't deadly but if you have your goals set to lose a pound a week that extra 1000 calories every week means you're now losing .72 lbs a week. Probably not a big deal to the bulk/cutter who again, is probably only dropping a few pounds but for someone with 30, 40, 50lbs to lose that adds weeks and weeks and weeks to getting to your goal.

I'm a woman. I maintain somewhere around 2200 calories. I don't work out and when I do it's walking through my neighborhood or Richard Simmons DVDs. I lost 55 pounds over the course of a year while still eating out every couple of weeks. It really can be worked into your week if you want to do it. If you don't want to eat out often or at all, that's fine. But it doesn't need to be the big stressful thing that so many people make it out to be.

(I speak from experience. When I broke into tears in a restaurant because they were out of quinoa burgers and that's what I'd prelogged, that's when I knew it was time to change my attitude or be miserable for life)
    The poster I was responded to was speaking about eating out frequently. I wouldn't really classify every couple weeks as frequent but it's all relative.

What do you classify as frequent? I go out 3 to 6 times a week.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

First!

You're a quick one! *that's what she said* I think I got sloppy seconds though.

Hey when it comes to pizza, finding those leftovers is pure bliss.

And now there's an intro thread in the group if any of you would like to start the pizza discussion in earnest.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10186118/come-in
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Joined!
  • psuLemon
    Options

That's pretty frequent. I'd say that's enough times that if I went out that often and said "I won't worry about the calories" I'd be even fatter than I am already and would probably balloon back up. How much do you work out to allow that or is it just you're making more simple food choices?

I work out 6 hours a week and i have a desk job. But even when i go out, a lot of my meals are less than 1000 calories. Like i said, i make smarter choices. And if i go real big on meals i will either skip breakfast or lower the next few days. Its just about finding a strategy to stay within your calories. And worst case is i know certain weeks i wont lose and i fine with that.

• raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    *Makes mental note to add pizza in some form to meal plan for next week*
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I'd rather take an extra week to meet my "goal weight" (not that I have one, I'm working to visual satisfaction) than have to restrict myself from going out, or having to order something that I'm not going to enjoy when I am out.

I don't see the point of going out to eat and ordering the grilled chicken, hold the sauce, with steamed veg, unless that's exactly what I feel like at the time. I'f I'm going to pay $20 for a meal, it sure isn't going to be something I could make at home for $4.

Today I have a pizza lunch with work, and a dumpling dinner with my houseguest. No idea how to track either, as I won't know what I'm having until I'm there. Yes, I skipped breakfast. Yes, I'll have more salad than pizza at lunch, and will order a dish of chinese broccoli and oyster sauce with dinner. But I'll enjoy it, walk some extra, and if the scale goes up a little in the next few days, I'll shave a few calories off.

It's only as hard as you make it.

This!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Joined!

in!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Sometimes I'll just repeat step 2 multiple times and then skip to step 7.

Am I going to die?

I csn guarantee that the answer is yes. 100% certain. The only variable is time.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I actually dissected a kebab today to figure out the calorie content. lol

I took apart a damn tuna hoagie the other day to weigh the individual components. The extra helping of shame put me over my calorie goal for the day.

Sorry for the off topic but are you from near Philly? There arent many people that i know who call it a hoagie.

I'm 10 minutes from Center City (on the Jersey side of the Delaware) and can hear the stadium fireworks from my front yard. You nearby?

Was it from Wawa? B)

Dude. I'm in the land of the hoagie! Wawa may be the best convenience store in the world, but South Jersey's best hoagie shop is a 5 minute walk from my house.

I enjoy a good Capriotti's. The Bobbie. Enough said.

Capastrami. That is the thing dreams are made of.

Okay, why don't we have any of these things on the West coast? First pizza, now the hoagies are better in the East?

IMO pizza is better in the midwest--I find New England pizza (first CT and now Boston) to be very greasy and the crust tastes like cardboard.

Lobsters, clams, oysters? Yeah, we're pretty good at that out here.

Most pizza in New England is horrible. It's mostly Greek style and, as you said, very greasy, too think and tasteless. One exception is New Haven. Frank Pepe's is amazing! However, it is tough to walk more than a couple of blocks in NY, LI and NJ without passing by about 5 really good pizzerias.

Oh--Frank Pepe's is exactly the disgusting stuff to which I was referring! So greasy! And we made the mistake of ordering bacon on it (because bacon)--they don't pre-cook the bacon before putting it on the pizza and it comes out all flaccid and chewy. Apparently they are building one in the North End of Boston and people are going crazy. I'll pass.

Buddy's Pizza in Michigan is what I'm talking about... Or Cottage Inn... Or Pizza House in Ann Arbor.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

That's pretty frequent. I'd say that's enough times that if I went out that often and said "I won't worry about the calories" I'd be even fatter than I am already and would probably balloon back up. How much do you work out to allow that or is it just you're making more simple food choices?

I work out 6 hours a week and i have a desk job. But even when i go out, a lot of my meals are less than 1000 calories. Like i said, i make smarter choices. And if i go real big on meals i will either skip breakfast or lower the next few days. Its just about finding a strategy to stay within your calories. And worst case is i know certain weeks i wont lose and i fine with that.

Meh, maybe it's just genetics or the extra 2 hours (I work out about 4 and have a desk job). I don't really have huge meals when I go out (1-3 times a week on weekends) but I just don't lose anything. You're pretty lucky.

The chances of the two of you having huge differences in metabolism are minute. Chances you have a difference in tracking, pretty good.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Is there a pizza thread/group on MFP?

I don't recall seeing a pizza group. If there isn't one, we need to make one

In for the pizza group!

+1!

We are making homemade pizza tonight on the grill and watching the US-Sweden soccer match! Finally got my herbs planted so we can have margherita pizza with basil from the garden!

pizza on the grill is the bomb...

actually, I like this method..

I put in oven on about 400 for three to four minutes, then move to grill for about three minutes, then transfer back to oven for about two minutes...

That's a lot of moving things around dude.

The technique I used last time (albeit with a store bought crust) was to heat up the grill super hot. Make the pizza, put it on the grill, turn the grill off (again this is for a gas grill), let it sit for about 10 minutes. It worked really well.

I have had issues with burning crusts on the grill in the past... Nothing worse than opening up the grill waiting to slide the delicious pizza off and realize it is charred black on the bottom. sadpanda.jpg

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    That's it. I've got to get a gas grill for next summer. I love charcoal but it is not so conducive to making pizza. Also I'm lazy as hell and I'm sick of cleaning up the ash. :grumble:
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

I have been overweight and and my perspective hasn't changed. The view point that an off week is deadly is exactly why so many people never make it past 5 pounds lost. They see less weight loss (or no weight lost) in a week, get sad and quit. So yes, what I wrote still applies. The person with 30, 40, 50 pounds to lose can have the same sense of awareness that extra calories from some meals out won't kill you in the long run and staying the course will keek you on track.

My point is that those who eat out multiple times a week can still apply the same restaurant logic as someone who only eats out once in a while.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Is there a pizza thread/group on MFP?

I don't recall seeing a pizza group. If there isn't one, we need to make one

In for the pizza group!

+1!

We are making homemade pizza tonight on the grill and watching the US-Sweden soccer match! Finally got my herbs planted so we can have margherita pizza with basil from the garden!

pizza on the grill is the bomb...

actually, I like this method..

I put in oven on about 400 for three to four minutes, then move to grill for about three minutes, then transfer back to oven for about two minutes...

That's a lot of moving things around dude.

The technique I used last time (albeit with a store bought crust) was to heat up the grill super hot. Make the pizza, put it on the grill, turn the grill off (again this is for a gas grill), let it sit for about 10 minutes. It worked really well.

I have had issues with burning crusts on the grill in the past... Nothing worse than opening up the grill waiting to slide the delicious pizza off and realize it is charred black on the bottom. sadpanda.jpg

it is a lot of moving around...but it comes out pretty damn good..so worth the effort ..IMO :)