Disturbing trend on MFP….

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Ok. Ok. Late to the game but I see your Wawa and raise you an In-N-Out. Just know that their seemingly underwhelming menu will end up blowing your mind as far as fast food burgers go.

And then there's the secret menu (that's not really a secret).
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    "Getting it" goes both ways, some are below or above us.

I understand a few bits about food composition, but only a fraction. Insee comments on all foods being the same based on calorie counts as incomplete representations and I know that is a half truth. Not exactly all there is to the picture when considering food.

So just as we need daily basic questions on:

How do I eat?

What do I eat?

I'm going out for dinner, what to do?

We also need equally basic answers.

A calorie is a calorie. Don't worry.

It all works out. CICO makes it all good.

At a point in time that is all the answer we need. Maybe later we will care more about the finer points regarding what we put in our body. Learn more about adding that muscle we want. How to eat to fix a cholesterol issue.

But only having a basic understanding does not mean what you know, is all there is to know.

It is a lifelong learning process. No need for contempt for those at a different point on the continuum.

I agree it should not be a big deal to go eat out. But for some it is. They just need a little help. And next year they will help the newb asking that question.

I guess it all does work out...

And I'm definitely going out over the weekend

A friend catfish sammich will suffer a very quick tartar sauced death

A few strips of bacon will be collateral damage.

800 calories and some good protein.

• Xo_c_e_b_xo
    Xo_c_e_b_xo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with you it isn't rocket science but being on MFP has made me realise how much a 'blow out' meal
    Can be , for example I had chicken with bacon cheese and BBQ sauce with chips and was quite surprised it was close to
    1000 calories just for that ! I was aware that the meal wouldn't be 'healthy' and planned my other meals accordingly but it did really make me think
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    mitch16 wrote: »
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    I actually dissected a kebab today to figure out the calorie content. lol

I took apart a damn tuna hoagie the other day to weigh the individual components. The extra helping of shame put me over my calorie goal for the day.

Sorry for the off topic but are you from near Philly? There arent many people that i know who call it a hoagie.

I'm 10 minutes from Center City (on the Jersey side of the Delaware) and can hear the stadium fireworks from my front yard. You nearby?

Was it from Wawa? B)

Dude. I'm in the land of the hoagie! Wawa may be the best convenience store in the world, but South Jersey's best hoagie shop is a 5 minute walk from my house.

I enjoy a good Capriotti's. The Bobbie. Enough said.

Capastrami. That is the thing dreams are made of.

Okay, why don't we have any of these things on the West coast? First pizza, now the hoagies are better in the East?

IMO pizza is better in the midwest--I find New England pizza (first CT and now Boston) to be very greasy and the crust tastes like cardboard.

Lobsters, clams, oysters? Yeah, we're pretty good at that out here.

Most pizza in New England is horrible. It's mostly Greek style and, as you said, very greasy, too think and tasteless. One exception is New Haven. Frank Pepe's is amazing! However, it is tough to walk more than a couple of blocks in NY, LI and NJ without passing by about 5 really good pizzerias.

Oh--Frank Pepe's is exactly the disgusting stuff to which I was referring! So greasy! And we made the mistake of ordering bacon on it (because bacon)--they don't pre-cook the bacon before putting it on the pizza and it comes out all flaccid and chewy. Apparently they are building one in the North End of Boston and people are going crazy. I'll pass.

Buddy's Pizza in Michigan is what I'm talking about... Or Cottage Inn... Or Pizza House in Ann Arbor.

I've never been to Buddy's Pizza, but I have extremely fond memories of Cottage Inn pizza. Weirdly enough I never had pizza at Pizza House, but they had great chipatis.

I went to college in MA and while it's not really fair to condemn the whole region, I can say that the only pizza place in my college town was horrible. Amusingly enough I looked them up on Yelp and they seem to still be there and to be about the same. Greasiest pizza ever.

where did you go to college?

Williamstown. About as far from Boston as you can get within the state.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I typically recommend that people evaluate their restaurant frequency as well as what they order.

Going 4-6 times per week? Probably need to learn what to order to minimize calories. Going 2/month? Might have more room for looser restrictions.
    The chef wants you to come back and isn't concerned about your calories.

Single ingredient items tend to be a good place to start for most people.
    Indeed.
    I have found I can manage 1-2 times a week pretty well- after that I start to have to be a lot more picky about what I'm consuming.
    snikkins wrote: »
    Ok. Ok. Late to the game but I see your Wawa and raise you an In-N-Out. Just know that their seemingly underwhelming menu will end up blowing your mind as far as fast food burgers go.

In and out is the bomb- I demand a trip the second we land in Burbank.

But it's still not wawa- you can get dirt cups there-and salad- and bacon... and gas. It has everything- cat food- dog food. seriously- wawa rules.
    But in and out IS the best burger place ever.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    No Wawas down here...

The closest we have down here would be Buc Ees. They have a chocolate creme pie cup I love
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    No desire to go through 11 pages, but a lot of restaurants don't have a 'grilled chicken and veggies' option. Just saying.

And yeah, I see no point in going out (unless I have no choice) if I'm going to have a meal I could make at home for $4 either, lol. So yes... a restaurant meal is probably going to derail me a little bit. You're saying that one meal isn't going to derail anyone... Considering how easy it is to eat 3000 calories in a restaurant meal, I beg to differ.
  • snikkins
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I typically recommend that people evaluate their restaurant frequency as well as what they order.

Going 4-6 times per week? Probably need to learn what to order to minimize calories. Going 2/month? Might have more room for looser restrictions.

Indeed.
    I have found I can manage 1-2 times a week pretty well- after that I start to have to be a lot more picky about what I'm consuming.
    snikkins wrote: »

In and out is the bomb- I demand a trip the second we land in Burbank.

But it's still not wawa- you can get dirt cups there-and salad- and bacon... and gas. It has everything- cat food- dog food. seriously- wawa rules.
    But in and out IS the best burger place ever.

As long as we can agree on that, we're cool.

I think(?) we saw or maybe stopped at a Wawa when we were in Florida... if it is what that was, I really wish I had know about its magical properties. It may have been something else but I remember us thinking it had a really funny name.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    No desire to go through 11 pages, but a lot of restaurants don't have a 'grilled chicken and veggies' option. Just saying.

And yeah, I see no point in going out (unless I have no choice) if I'm going to have a meal I could make at home for $4 either, lol. So yes... a restaurant meal is probably going to derail me a little bit. You're saying that one meal isn't going to derail anyone... Considering how easy it is to eat 3000 calories in a restaurant meal, I beg to differ.

lOL what …

please find me the restaurant where you can't sub in vegetables….

ok so you can have a 6 0z filet or sirloin and vegetables…

literal much? wow….
  • ndj1979
    Options

I took apart a damn tuna hoagie the other day to weigh the individual components. The extra helping of shame put me over my calorie goal for the day.

Sorry for the off topic but are you from near Philly? There arent many people that i know who call it a hoagie.

I'm 10 minutes from Center City (on the Jersey side of the Delaware) and can hear the stadium fireworks from my front yard. You nearby?

Was it from Wawa? B)

Dude. I'm in the land of the hoagie! Wawa may be the best convenience store in the world, but South Jersey's best hoagie shop is a 5 minute walk from my house.

Okay, why don't we have any of these things on the West coast? First pizza, now the hoagies are better in the East?

IMO pizza is better in the midwest--I find New England pizza (first CT and now Boston) to be very greasy and the crust tastes like cardboard.

Most pizza in New England is horrible. It's mostly Greek style and, as you said, very greasy, too think and tasteless. One exception is New Haven. Frank Pepe's is amazing! However, it is tough to walk more than a couple of blocks in NY, LI and NJ without passing by about 5 really good pizzerias.

Oh--Frank Pepe's is exactly the disgusting stuff to which I was referring! So greasy! And we made the mistake of ordering bacon on it (because bacon)--they don't pre-cook the bacon before putting it on the pizza and it comes out all flaccid and chewy. Apparently they are building one in the North End of Boston and people are going crazy. I'll pass.

Buddy's Pizza in Michigan is what I'm talking about... Or Cottage Inn... Or Pizza House in Ann Arbor.

I've never been to Buddy's Pizza, but I have extremely fond memories of Cottage Inn pizza. Weirdly enough I never had pizza at Pizza House, but they had great chipatis.

I went to college in MA and while it's not really fair to condemn the whole region, I can say that the only pizza place in my college town was horrible. Amusingly enough I looked them up on Yelp and they seem to still be there and to be about the same. Greasiest pizza ever.

Williamstown. About as far from Boston as you can get within the state.

is that western, MA??
  • Francl27
    Options

lOL what …

literal much? wow….

A lot actually... went to one that only had sandwiches and fried sides or mayo coleslaw :( And most places don't have 6oz steaks, typically it's 10 or more (but at least you can only eat some of it).
  • ndj1979
    Options

lOL what …

literal much? wow….

A lot actually... went to one that only had sandwiches and fried sides or mayo coleslaw :( And most places don't have 6oz steaks, typically it's 10 or more (but at least you can only eat some of it).

i think you are confusing a deli with a restaurant…

in all honesty, I have never been to a restaurant that did not have a chicken, fish, or steak option ….
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

lOL what …

literal much? wow….

The Original Pancake House.

I gotta go there this coming Monday for a breakfast meeting. Imma gonna make that fit, though.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Was it from Wawa? B)

Bertucci's (sp) is pretty good in Boston ...brick oven style pizza.

There are also some good places in the north end area of Boston.

For some reason I always loved Papa Gino's and still do, even though it is chain style....

Push Cart Cafe & Pizzeria for the win!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Along with frequency - I'd also look at type and intentions. No one is required to finish off a large Bucca do Beppo Chicken Marsala alone (2300 cals) - take some home, share, leave a lot of it. But that really depends thinking about how one eats and not cleaning the plate from habit.
  • snikkins
    Options

Along with frequency - I'd also look at type and intentions. No one is required to finish off a large Bucca do Beppo Chicken Marsala alone (2300 cals) - take some home, share, leave a lot of it. But that really depends thinking about how one eats and not cleaning the plate from habit.

It's interesting that you bring up the idea of "family style" versus regular. Because you're right... unless you've been cleaning your plate from habit for whatever reason, no one expects that.

What I've noticed at these types of restaurants lately is that the waitstaff will point out that it's meant to share, which is the part that I find interesting.
  • Francl27
    Options

lOL what …

literal much? wow….

i think you are confusing a deli with a restaurant…

in all honesty, I have never been to a restaurant that did not have a chicken, fish, or steak option ….

It was a café. My point is still valid though... not always possible to find grilled chicken and veggies.
    bpetrosky wrote: »

lOL what …

literal much? wow….

The Original Pancake House.

I gotta go there this coming Monday for a breakfast meeting. Imma gonna make that fit, though.

I had never heard of it... Googled it. Now I want to go.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Yup you have all probably noticed it…People do not know how to order at restaurants any more! This is really disturbing stuff. There has been a definite uptick in the number of "help, I don't know what to order at this restaurant." The primary culprit seems to be Mexican restaurants, which make sense because after Tequila and Margaritas most of us can barely make it to the bathroom, much less order some food.

So here are my helpful tips for everyone that has "forgotten" how to order at restaurants…

1. Select restaurant and determine if you are going for a blow out "I don't give a damn about calories type night", or just a "I want to stay within my calorie target night."
    2. order drink
    3. review menu
    4. While reviewing menu if you selected blow out option in step 1 then just get whatever you want to eat; however, if you went with stay within calorie option then you should probably go with the the lighter fair such as grilled chicken and vegetables or something similar.
    5. make dinner selection
    6. eat dinner and have some more drinks
    7. enjoy the evening
    8. pay
    9. leave the restaurant

This nine step plan can be used at any eating establishment and is even transferable to cookouts.

Good luck, and remember it is just a restaurant not complex physics….

Sir, you forgot the dessert? What about ice cream, cake, brownies, fill in the blank.

Shame, on you:).