Can't gain muscle on diet. What??

Options

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You CAN gain muscle mass on a deficit if you lift. Several well-designed studies have shown this.

And you don't have to be obese.

However, it def slows your muscle gains. Stalling out or slowing enormously is pretty likely after a point. :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    You CAN gain muscle mass on a deficit if you lift. Several well-designed studies have shown this.

And you don't have to be obese.

However, it def slows your muscle gains. Stalling out or slowing enormously is pretty likely after a point. :)
    Please post...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Do you keep getting banned and coming back as new people? Is that what is going on? So confused. Can't keep up with this childishness.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »
    so if you eat at a deficit and lift weights you will never get any bigger muscles? but if you eat more to gain muscle wouldnt you also gain back the fat? I am curious as I am trying to get rid of the fat around my middle but I lift weights because I also want to gain muscle. obviously I am not doing too good.
    Yeah, that's why it's so bloody hard to gain decent muscle and not get fat at the same time (slow or clean bulk). That's why people who can maintain good muscle mass and low body fat should be respected. Respected it! :p
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    so if you eat at a deficit and lift weights you will never get any bigger muscles? but if you eat more to gain muscle wouldnt you also gain back the fat? I am curious as I am trying to get rid of the fat around my middle but I lift weights because I also want to gain muscle. obviously I am not doing too good.
    Yeah, that's why it's so bloody hard to gain decent muscle and not get fat at the same time (slow or clean bulk). That's why people who can maintain good muscle mass and low body fat should be respected. Respected it! :p

I do respect it, I was just trying to understand so I can do it right.
  • slideaway1
    Options

Ha!, I was only joking. ;)
  • paris458
    Options
    screw all this, I am just going to get fat lol
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

There's your problem, you're trying to learn something. This website is about arguing with each other and/or having a lovefest where we provide blind support. It's entertaining when both of those things happen in one thread. Definitely not about providing information though.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I think most people here have tried it and would not recommend.
  • senecarr
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

There's your problem, you're trying to learn something. This website is about arguing with each other and/or having a lovefest where we provide blind support. It's entertaining when both of those things happen in one thread. Definitely not about providing information though.

You forgot and the occasional meta post about those things happening.
  • paris458
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

too late, pizza is on its way
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

too late, pizza is on its way

Mmm pizza. Alas, I must wait until dinner for my pizza. But it is coming!
  • slideaway1
    Options

I suppose that's why natural lifters get annoyed by steroid users. Taking certain steroids/drugs can create an environment where one can build muscle at a crazy rate as well as reducing body fat at the same time. For this reason natural lifters should not really pay too much attention to the diets/exercise programmes of people who are on the gear. It's a much different approach.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've seen this a few times today. It makes no sense. I am losing weight and I know for a fact I am getting stronger. My muscles seem to be growing too getting larger and more firm.
    Why is this a common idea? Is there some research on this??

how do you create something out of nothing...how can you be catabolic and anabolic at the same time? building muscle requires energy (calories) in excess of what you would need to maintain the status quot. why do you think people do bulking cycles?

when people diet, they shed fat...more muscle shows...this isn't muscles growing, it's simply uncovering them. also if you're working out your muscles will retain more water which gives them that "pump" look. you can get much stronger without putting on muscle...when you train you are training your body to recruit more of the existing muscle fibers that you already have.

there are some exceptions for newb gains and obese people...but even then, actual muscle growth is minimal.
  • senecarr
    Options
    I've decided since no description was given overfat means this: lower than average ratio of muscle to fat based than average for height and weight and gender.
    It is always going to depend on the individual, plus the actual deficit. Yeah it feels unfair, but there are some people who are just better at maintaining or even gaining mass without a calorie surplus.
    Rule of thumb, I'd go with it meaning you'd need to be at least obese in terms of body fat, so 25%+ for a male, 32%+ for a female.