Was really fat. Now less fat. Stuck being less fat. So why?

Options

Replies

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I knew it.
    ue6tm05jmkhh.jpg
    sh.jpg 66.8K
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    ToreiMira wrote: »
    Weakness my friend. You really need to get into a serious lifting routine and build up some more lean body mass, with a better engine you will quickly make waste to any extra fat. I looked at your food diary and it doesn't look that great you might also want to think about a better diet.

Going off the body fat I was measured at when I did my bodpod my lean mass was 164lbs (28% body fat). If I was 185lbs and 15% body fat my lean mass would only be 157lbs. Any specifics on the diet? I'm hitting the macros fairly well. Isn't that what's important?

Your hitting macros and going over on calories limit sometimes. Am I reading that correctly?
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    lolwut
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    flaminica wrote: »
    Lost to 230 not even counting calories accurately (estimates). Went off my low carb plan. Gained to 250. Counted calories down to 230. Stuck again. Cut calories down to a bonkers starving 1800. Lost some. Then boom, back up over one week.

I'm approaching this as someone fairly new who doesn't know your history and has no bias. One big problem leaps out at me here -- one I see over and over on these "why am I not losing" threads.

You're not changing your life: you're dieting. Stop Dieting.

You try something for a while and it works. Then you stop and the weight comes back. Well derp, of course it does. Albert Einstein defined insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." So stop with the unsustainable gimmicks, like starvation calories, no-carb, all-jello-all-the-time, or whatever the fad diet du jour is. Log accurately, eat sensibly and don't stop. This is it, this is your life. Not your diet.

I get the thinking but for me life starts at 200 when I'm not obese by definition anymore. Even then it will still probably all be some endless "program" or cycle of changing things up in one way or another.

Life starts when you reach a random number on a box. That's sad.

That sounds more intense than it needs to. I just mean until I get to a number I'm read to maintain at I'm just chasing a goal. Everything revolves around weight. Appearance, clothing, even fitness. I can only do a couple-few chin ups. I can't even do one of the most basic strength building exercises that almost every single program recommends.

No it does not. Where did you read that?

You sounds very childish sir. Everything does not revolve around looks.
  • KInez54
    KInez54 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie and I haven't read all the responses here so forgive if am re-suggesting a possible solution to your stall. I looked at your profile and I noticed that your body fat percentage is high. Perhaps if your concentrated on changing that rather than your weight for now, you would enjoy an increasing burn rate resulting in the additional loss you desire eventually.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Don't have time to dig them up, but some studies have shown that formerly obese people have to eat less (I think it was ~10% on average?) than never-obese people to stay at the same weight, due to obesity-related changes in metabolism. Can't remember how long those studies lasted, though, might be people recover over time.

I was just reading about that! And it depressed me thoroughly. Here's the link I just read about it:
    http://www.science20.com/deconstructing_obesity/blog/metabolic_adaptations_to_weight_loss-156281#ixzz3du4WjNUJ

For what it's worth, I don't blame you for feeling this way. Lots of people believe that the science of weight loss is a settled matter, but I think that is hardly the case. Even everyone's favorite four-letter word - CICO! - doesn't align with the latest reports on how bacteria in our guts influence every process in our bodies, let alone the fact that some foods are more bioavailable than others (see the researchers who were able to lower the calories of rice by adding cococut oil and refrigerating overnight, or the re-estimation of the true, bio-available calorie content of almonds). So I'm with you - I think there are some mysteries in this process, much like epileptics probably didn't believe that getting their blood sucked by leeches in the middle ages was really all that helpful. That was the CICO of its day.

Central to your questions is the fact that your "body" is not one thing. It's a mega-metropolis of bacteria, hungry mitochondria, hormones and diabolical, unkillable, hormone-spewing fat cells. You want the mega-metropolis to weigh a certain amount and have a certain waist size and inseam, but unfortunatley, the denizens of your body disagree. There is no relationship between our highly socialized aspirational goals for ourselves and the ground truth inside our bodies.

My suggestion is to be your own scientist, and conduct your own experiments. Change your calorie intake, increase and change your weight training or cardio, cut certain foods that seem like they're sticking to you more than others, etc. Do each thing for two weeks (I do this to myself and I think two weeks has been the magic number - one isn't enough to trick your body into thinking this is how it's going to be from now on) and keep what works and ditch what doesn't. All my best successes came from doing that - never from reading studies or following conventional wisdom on weight loss.

if you don't believe in CICO why don't you eat 500 calories over your maintenance level and see what happens and report back the results in two months...

for some reason no one ever takes up this challenge...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    But I'm not close to my goal? I'm 30lbs from it. That's super far from my goal. That's 30 weeks at a pound a week. 60 by your plan. Without stalls or breaks. Which would put it at 2 years or more. So why? Why are my 30lbs going to supposedly take 2 years but someone else just loses them and gets ripped in 6 months? That's the answer I'm looking for. What can I do to make my loss take 6 months like that guys.

Didn't you say you'd lost 130 or so already? I think that puts you in a different starting place than someone who has been 230 for a while and wants to go to 200. Dieting can affect maintenance calories, perhaps especially if you were doing extremely low cal while doing low carb, although I wouldn't think it would make such a difference when you have plenty of fat still.

I can't seem to get myself to lose my last 5 lbs (I didn't realize this meant the forum was lining up to help me, oh wow!). I don't think I'm in precisely the same position as someone who has been 125 for ages and decides to go to 120 (which at my height shouldn't be that tough). Instead, I'm in the position of someone who has lost 95 lbs and is fatigued of weight loss somewhat.

Anyway, if I were you I'd figure out my TDEE and go to a doctor and probably have a DEXA/RMR test if I could get a referral or was willing to pay the money. Then I'd know if there was a metabolism issue and how off my numbers were from what one would expect, could start investigating possible medical causes, and could decide if I am willing to eat low enough to lose if the TDEE is unusually low or if it instead seems to be an issue with logging.

I'd also focus on increasing TDEE in the ways I can--I know my own weight loss slowed way down in the winter (other than January when I was really good about eating lower calories) because I wasn't doing as much non exercise activity, like walking and casually biking to commute/for errands as before. In running the calculations, it makes a huge difference in TDEE without making me feel like I need more calories.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Lost to 230 not even counting calories accurately (estimates). Went off my low carb plan. Gained to 250. Counted calories down to 230. Stuck again. Cut calories down to a bonkers starving 1800. Lost some. Then boom, back up over one week.

I'm approaching this as someone fairly new who doesn't know your history and has no bias. One big problem leaps out at me here -- one I see over and over on these "why am I not losing" threads.

You try something for a while and it works. Then you stop and the weight comes back. Well derp, of course it does. Albert Einstein defined insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." So stop with the unsustainable gimmicks, like starvation calories, no-carb, all-jello-all-the-time, or whatever the fad diet du jour is. Log accurately, eat sensibly and don't stop. This is it, this is your life. Not your diet.

I get the thinking but for me life starts at 200 when I'm not obese by definition anymore. Even then it will still probably all be some endless "program" or cycle of changing things up in one way or another.

That sounds more intense than it needs to. I just mean until I get to a number I'm read to maintain at I'm just chasing a goal. Everything revolves around weight. Appearance, clothing, even fitness. I can only do a couple-few chin ups. I can't even do one of the most basic strength building exercises that almost every single program recommends.

Yeah, that's why everyone has headless pictures of their abs. And I said weight, not looks. Weight affects how you look, the clothes you can buy/fit in, and even the exercises you can do. Running at 200lbs is easier than 230. Biking. Pull-ups. Stamina. Even down to the amount of muscle you can build. Why is everyone trying to be 10% body fat? So they can bulk.

LOL
    Not too sure if that is everyone goal but my goal actually is to get smaller than 10% body fat. Then bulk.

You said
    Everything revolves around weight. Appearance, clothing, even fitness
    which is what not looks? What is that quote then?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

? So if you keep doing chin-ups, you will be able do more (barring some kind of injury).

Not saying there isn't a bias against obese people, but not everything revolves around weight. Overweight people have relationships, extra pounds on a scale don't stop them. How do you explain that?

I think you might benefit from some therapy, honestly. You're very fixated on what you can't do, and limitations, and that's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Don't have time to dig them up, but some studies have shown that formerly obese people have to eat less (I think it was ~10% on average?) than never-obese people to stay at the same weight, due to obesity-related changes in metabolism. Can't remember how long those studies lasted, though, might be people recover over time.

I think that might make sense due to the fact its hard to maintain LBM when you lose weight.

Lean mass loss, hormonal responses and suppressed cellular metabolic activity.

Well how long and how long will the 30lbs take. Everyone else gets there goal pretty quickly. It's a little BS to have to wait 2 years for something someone else gets in 6 months.

"Everyone else... Everyone else..."
    If that's not your head messing you up, I don't know what is.
    Look, I'm not making fun of this statement. I just think you need to reflect on it.
    No matter how hard you feel like you are working, there is always someone else that is willing to work harder. Once a "woe is me" feeling creeps into your head, it's easy to feel like it's not possible to have what others have. Think about that. It's true for many things in life.
    - Someone else gets the promotion you wanted. You tell yourself they are overrated and don't work as hard as you.
    - Someone else has a great career with a high paying job because they have either the required higher education or extensive experience.
    - Someone else has a neater, cleaner home than you. But homes don't clean or mess up themselves.
    The bottom line is that no matter what it looks like from one persons limited perspective, in order to make great achievements, it takes great effort. If you don't want to put in great effort, but are willing to put forth a decent effort, you can still make the achievement, it will just take you longer. That is a personal choice.
    There are lots of people here that use calorie deficit AND exercise to achieve their goal, and there are just as many people here that use only calorie deficit to achieve their goals.
    Some people are focused on fat loss and muscle retention (future gain) while others are looking only at fat loss and even still others who are only looking for weight loss in general and aren't looking into it further.
    Lots of people find low fat eating their method for success and others swear by low carb with high fat, and there are lots that are more focused on protein. The reason there are so many possible ways to "diet" is because different people find success in their own way of eating. The important part is staying in a caloric deficit. It's up to you to figure out how you can do that successfully.
    The ultimate goal has to be long term. You have to be thinking ahead about how you plan to maintain once you do get there. The "diet" you choose will serve you best if it's something that you can make your new way of eating. If you can't turn down a dessert or high calorie "treat" without feeling like your life sucks, then that's an emotional issue that needs addressed as it will set you up for misery and feeling bad for yourself.
    Quit thinking about the achievements you see others getting and focus on your own achievements, because let me tell you that there are people reading your words thinking "why can he lose all that weight and only have 30lbs left and I can't". The answer is that they haven't put forth the same consistent effort that you have. And possibly because they are too busy feeling like it just must not be possible for them like it was for you. So they go back to not trying since "it's not working anyway and it takes too long".

You gotta get your head straight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's why everyone has headless pictures of their abs. And I said weight, not looks. Weight affects how you look, the clothes you can buy/fit in, and even the exercises you can do. Running at 200lbs is easier than 230. Biking. Pull-ups. Stamina. Even down to the amount of muscle you can build. Why is everyone trying to be 10% body fat? So they can bulk.

actually, you can bulk at 15%. And really, everyone wants to be 10% so they can bulk???

come on man...

now you are just lashing out because others have the physique that you want, and can't seem to get to.

It is going to take the following:

dedication
    hard work
    micro/macro adherence
    accurate logging
    some kind of structured lifting/exercise program
    patience

• yopeeps025
    Options

? So if you keep doing chin-ups, you will be able do more (barring some kind of injury).

Not saying there isn't a bias against obese people, but not everything revolves around weight. Overweight people have relationships, extra pounds on a scale don't stop them. How do you explain that?

I think you might benefit from some therapy, honestly. You're very fixated on what you can't do, and limitations, and that's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Touche. I have never read anything type by OP saying something positive about himself.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    These seems to be a thing people don't talk about much. You see plenty of people who are 5lbs from goal freaking out because they can't lose the last 5lbs. You also see plenty of people lining up to help them, especially if the OP is a woman nearing tiny bikini progress photo status. You don't see a lot of explanations of why someone heavy who's lost weight but is stuck still pretty heavy can't lose weight. So, ideas? Anything logical? I used to weigh 365lbs. Lost to 230 not even counting calories accurately (estimates). Went off my low carb plan. Gained to 250. Counted calories down to 230. Stuck again. Cut calories down to a bonkers starving 1800. Lost some. Then boom, back up over one week.

Here's the graph: https://trendweight.com/u/f8ef80f0071149/

So, anyone else experience this? Any advice? Yeah yeah. Go to the doctor. I'm squeezing an appointment in Thursday but I am experience no other health related symptoms other than the complete inability to lose weight and actually eat a human sized amount of food.

Hi, another special snowflake here.

Except well, I don't think I'm special enough to break the science behind CICO or be a snowflake, but, bear with me.

I started at around 240, got down to 180 and spent nearly a year at that weight. Why? I felt like I was eating right, staying within my target, being active enough, doing everything like i'd done before, but the scale just wasn't moving.

The reality? I'd gotten lazy with measuring, didn't think much of taking a little bit extra of this and that along the way, was missing the odd workout, and not putting in the time and effort I had originally. I just didn't see that, because in that moment, all I could think was "why the heck won't the scale move?"

So I did what several people have suggested to you in multiple threads; I reverse dieted back to maintenance, adding 100 cals per week. Maintained for about three months (the time frame just kind of matched what I needed while healing from a knee surgery), then cut by 500 calories. Like magic, I began to lose weight again and had all the motivation and consistency I originally had.

So my dear, OP. Do something about it or be quiet. There really isn't any advice left we can give.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @BFDeal I have had the same issue as you. I'm a 5'3" 36 year old and I keep getting stuck at 190, which is still obese according to BMI (and probably every other chart). However, my issue is motivation. After dropping 40lbs I felt like I had this and didnt' have to try so hard. I started adding some treats back in (like beer). I stopped logging all my food. Now, your issue might be completely different, but for me I'M what's holding me back.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Don't you have 3 or 4 previous threads asking the same thing? You've been given tons of advice from lots of people. We can't tell you anything new or different. What answer are you looking for?

this is my bad..he was derailing another thread, and I told him to start his own...

I said it too.

He had the exact same thread yesterday and then derailed the other thread and now has the exact same thread again.

But it's super nice of everyone to keep talking at him like he'll listen, I guess.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    1800 might be to much for you now that you have lost so much. Have you tried refreshing your goals recently? Sometimes mfp changes it as you lose but I've had to manually redo mine a few times.

A 230 pound male doesn't need less than 1800.

AMEN
This discussion has been closed.