Was really fat. Now less fat. Stuck being less fat. So why?

Options
BFDeal
BFDeal Posts: 3,160 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
These seems to be a thing people don't talk about much. You see plenty of people who are 5lbs from goal freaking out because they can't lose the last 5lbs. You also see plenty of people lining up to help them, especially if the OP is a woman nearing tiny bikini progress photo status. You don't see a lot of explanations of why someone heavy who's lost weight but is stuck still pretty heavy can't lose weight. So, ideas? Anything logical? I used to weigh 365lbs. Lost to 230 not even counting calories accurately (estimates). Went off my low carb plan. Gained to 250. Counted calories down to 230. Stuck again. Cut calories down to a bonkers starving 1800. Lost some. Then boom, back up over one week.

Here's the graph: https://trendweight.com/u/f8ef80f0071149/

So, anyone else experience this? Any advice? Yeah yeah. Go to the doctor. I'm squeezing an appointment in Thursday but I am experience no other health related symptoms other than the complete inability to lose weight and actually eat a human sized amount of food.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Don't you have 3 or 4 previous threads asking the same thing? You've been given tons of advice from lots of people. We can't tell you anything new or different. What answer are you looking for?
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    1800 might be to much for you now that you have lost so much. Have you tried refreshing your goals recently? Sometimes mfp changes it as you lose but I've had to manually redo mine a few times.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    1800 might be to much for you now that you have lost so much. Have you tried refreshing your goals recently? Sometimes mfp changes it as you lose but I've had to manually redo mine a few times.

A 230 pound male doesn't need less than 1800.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it is time to seek psychiatric help. You seem to be externalizing some deeper set issues that cannot be well handled in an internet forum.
  • usmcmp
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    A reason why the rules of weight loss apply to others one way but me another? Or someone who's at least ran into the same thing.

Leptin and cortisol or thyroid or testosterone.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Don't have time to dig them up, but some studies have shown that formerly obese people have to eat less (I think it was ~10% on average?) than never-obese people to stay at the same weight, due to obesity-related changes in metabolism. Can't remember how long those studies lasted, though, might be people recover over time.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about it?

I mean, if you are honest-to-Zod eating 1800 and not losing it sounds like 1800 is your TDEE, whether that seems right or not.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you aren't special. If you aren't losing weight, it is because you are eating too much to lose weight.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Then he's lying, measures egregiously poorly, or has a medical condition, right?

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to your goal the grind becomes HARD!!! Your loss may slow to 0.5lbs a week or the scale may stay static and measurements may be the only thing changing, some weeks there may be no change at all. You just have to keep grinding that last little bit off and starving to death isn't the way to do it. There are plenty of tools at your disposal to help you, changes to your work outs, utilizing different cardio training variables, diet breaks eating back to your maintenance calories, carb cycling and on it goes.

You rebounded because you went on vacation and did vacation things there's not much mystery there.

Keep grinding it out and you'll get there..... in other words 'suck it up buttercup'
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Looking at you diary you're eating over your goal. Top that off with inaccuracies in weighing or choosing the correct items when logging that's probably your answer. Bottom line is you are eating too much.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Then he's lying, measures egregiously poorly, or has a medical condition, right?

He swears he is accurate.

I suggested many times that he increase calories and maintain that long term while seeing a doctor to rule out medical conditions. After months of increased calories and a clean blood test he could consider going back to cutting again.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Don't have time to dig them up, but some studies have shown that formerly obese people have to eat less (I think it was ~10% on average?) than never-obese people to stay at the same weight, due to obesity-related changes in metabolism. Can't remember how long those studies lasted, though, might be people recover over time.

I think that might make sense due to the fact its hard to maintain LBM when you lose weight.

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to your goal the grind becomes HARD!!! Your loss may slow to 0.5lbs a week or the scale may stay static and measurements may be the only thing changing, some weeks there may be no change at all. You just have to keep grinding that last little bit off and starving to death isn't the way to do it. There are plenty of tools at your disposal to help you, changes to your work outs, utilizing different cardio training variables, diet breaks eating back to your maintenance calories, carb cycling and on it goes.

You rebounded because you went on vacation and did vacation things there's not much mystery there.

Keep grinding it out and you'll get there..... in other words 'suck it up buttercup'

He's been told this a million times already. I don't know what he's looking for anymore. An excuse to never lose it? A magical answer that will make it easier for him? Attention? Whatever it is I doubt he will find it
  • usmcmp
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

I think that might make sense due to the fact its hard to maintain LBM when you lose weight.

Lean mass loss, hormonal responses and suppressed cellular metabolic activity.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you think you have to starve yourself at 1800 calories then you're not making the correct food choices. If I had to eat 1800 calories a day based on what I am doing now I would have to eat all day. And you've been eating over 2000 calories for the past week. It sounds like to me that you don't want to loose weight. Eat more food that has less calories and exercise. If it can work for this disabled person, it can work for you.
This discussion has been closed.