Was really fat. Now less fat. Stuck being less fat. So why?

Options

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Go on the show Naked and Afraid. I'll bet you lose weight.
    OMG> This!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Yeah, that's why everyone has headless pictures of their abs. And I said weight, not looks. Weight affects how you look, the clothes you can buy/fit in, and even the exercises you can do. Running at 200lbs is easier than 230. Biking. Pull-ups. Stamina. Even down to the amount of muscle you can build. Why is everyone trying to be 10% body fat? So they can bulk.

Some of these are lame excuses. The ability to run or do pull-ups isn't determined by how much you weigh. If you want to run, go run. If you want to do pull-ups, work on doing pull-ups. You don't do pull-ups by waiting until you get "light enough" and you certainly don't do them by crying about being too heavy. Get stronger.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    alfiedn wrote: »
    As you get closer to your goal the grind becomes HARD!!! Your loss may slow to 0.5lbs a week or the scale may stay static and measurements may be the only thing changing, some weeks there may be no change at all. You just have to keep grinding that last little bit off and starving to death isn't the way to do it. There are plenty of tools at your disposal to help you, changes to your work outs, utilizing different cardio training variables, diet breaks eating back to your maintenance calories, carb cycling and on it goes.

You rebounded because you went on vacation and did vacation things there's not much mystery there.

Keep grinding it out and you'll get there..... in other words 'suck it up buttercup'
    But I'm not close to my goal? I'm 30lbs from it. That's super far from my goal. That's 30 weeks at a pound a week. 60 by your plan. Without stalls or breaks. Which would put it at 2 years or more. So why? Why are my 30lbs going to supposedly take 2 years but someone else just loses them and gets ripped in 6 months? That's the answer I'm looking for. What can I do to make my loss take 6 months like that guys.

30 pounds IS close to your goal! You're so close! :) Also, I looked at your chart and it looks like you're still trending down overall. Just because someone else can do it in x amount of time, doesn't mean you have to. There is no race to lose the weight here, unless I'm missing something. If you want to eat more, you may have to deal with it taking longer. If you're ok with eating less, it may take less time. Personally, I'd rather eat more and it sounds like you are similar to me.

The only thing that you are missing is that this poster has a long history of asking for and getting great advice and then ignoring it, only to return and complain that people who are younger/fitter/a different sex, etc. can eat more than him and still lose weight at a faster rate than he can. There is literally nothing that anybody is going to suggest that is going to appease him.

The last time he started a thread like this was right around when I started lurking on the forums. It made quite the impression.

I learned a lot from all the advice he ignored, though.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    flaminica wrote: »
    Lost to 230 not even counting calories accurately (estimates). Went off my low carb plan. Gained to 250. Counted calories down to 230. Stuck again. Cut calories down to a bonkers starving 1800. Lost some. Then boom, back up over one week.

I'm approaching this as someone fairly new who doesn't know your history and has no bias. One big problem leaps out at me here -- one I see over and over on these "why am I not losing" threads.

You're not changing your life: you're dieting. Stop Dieting.

You try something for a while and it works. Then you stop and the weight comes back. Well derp, of course it does. Albert Einstein defined insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." So stop with the unsustainable gimmicks, like starvation calories, no-carb, all-jello-all-the-time, or whatever the fad diet du jour is. Log accurately, eat sensibly and don't stop. This is it, this is your life. Not your diet.

I get the thinking but for me life starts at 200 when I'm not obese by definition anymore. Even then it will still probably all be some endless "program" or cycle of changing things up in one way or another.

Life starts when you reach a random number on a box. That's sad.

That sounds more intense than it needs to. I just mean until I get to a number I'm read to maintain at I'm just chasing a goal. Everything revolves around weight. Appearance, clothing, even fitness. I can only do a couple-few chin ups. I can't even do one of the most basic strength building exercises that almost every single program recommends.

No it does not. Where did you read that?

You sounds very childish sir. Everything does not revolve around looks.

Yeah, that's why everyone has headless pictures of their abs. And I said weight, not looks. Weight affects how you look, the clothes you can buy/fit in, and even the exercises you can do. Running at 200lbs is easier than 230. Biking. Pull-ups. Stamina. Even down to the amount of muscle you can build. Why is everyone trying to be 10% body fat? So they can bulk.

I'm going to disagree. It's not weight that effects those things, but body composition.

The last time I was averaging about 130 lbs on the scale (6 yrs ago), I was wearing size 9 jeans and they were a little tight. I'm averaging about 136 lbs right now and I have trouble keeping size 9 jeans up without a belt. I'm not even talking new jeans here; I'm talking about the jeans I saved from before I gained weight, so same jeans. The difference is I have more lean body mass now then I did then and less fat. The scale says I weigh more, but my clothes show that I am smaller.

So ya, it's not all about weight.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    whine1.jpg?w=450

How the hell hard is it to realize that if you're not losing then something needs to be shifted around? And seriously, how can you think that you need to still be eating at the same caloric level as you did 30 pounds ago?! I know I don't need the same amount of calories at 153 as I did at 183. It's logic, Spock!
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If you're stressed like it appears, you could be hindering weight loss by the stress (cortisol).

I'm not sure it's over eating and that is too general and always seems to be the first thing people will say, "you're eating to much."

It could be, but why put the effort to log in here and not really find out what you eat? I'd be as strict as possible for a month and see if was over eating measure everything in grams. If it's not over eating then move on to something else. Process of elimination, you could just be at a plateau , you did lose a lot of weight.

Hormones matter a lot, and at your age you might want to get that checked. Get plenty of sleep also.

Great job though, try to stay positive and constant. Some days you were up some days you were down in your diary.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Don't you have 3 or 4 previous threads asking the same thing? You've been given tons of advice from lots of people. We can't tell you anything new or different. What answer are you looking for?

this is my bad..he was derailing another thread, and I told him to start his own...

I said it too.

He had the exact same thread yesterday and then derailed the other thread and now has the exact same thread again.

But it's super nice of everyone to keep talking at him like he'll listen, I guess.

I have been at this for a long time myself. It took years and years for my friend to persuade me to get a food scale and use MFP.

Is it really lazyness that the OP cannot finish his goal. I don't think so he has came a long way. Also my friend told me look if you try to make alcohol fit this weight loss will take longer than you think. All these little things I tweak or took out have got me to where I am right now. Wow just derail the derailer. Point is OP you might have to do more. What is more important to you.

Fit body or a dad bod? You complain about not being able to drink. Again what is more important. A fun night out or the goal?

Also alcohol stop fat oxidation. You burn calories throughout the day until alcohol is consume. Then you burn the alcohol before calories. Think about that before your next drink. I am sure it might change your mind.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    But it's super nice of everyone to keep talking at him like he'll listen, I guess.
    It's only page three, it will get nasty soon enough. Or it will turn into an endless parade of GIFs.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    These seems to be a thing people don't talk about much. You see plenty of people who are 5lbs from goal freaking out because they can't lose the last 5lbs. You also see plenty of people lining up to help them, especially if the OP is a woman nearing tiny bikini progress photo status. You don't see a lot of explanations of why someone heavy who's lost weight but is stuck still pretty heavy can't lose weight. So, ideas? Anything logical? I used to weigh 365lbs. Lost to 230 not even counting calories accurately (estimates). Went off my low carb plan. Gained to 250. Counted calories down to 230. Stuck again. Cut calories down to a bonkers starving 1800. Lost some. Then boom, back up over one week.

Here's the graph: https://trendweight.com/u/f8ef80f0071149/

So, anyone else experience this? Any advice? Yeah yeah. Go to the doctor. I'm squeezing an appointment in Thursday but I am experience no other health related symptoms other than the complete inability to lose weight and actually eat a human sized amount of food.

Hi, another special snowflake here.

Except well, I don't think I'm special enough to break the science behind CICO or be a snowflake, but, bear with me.

I started at around 240, got down to 180 and spent nearly a year at that weight. Why? I felt like I was eating right, staying within my target, being active enough, doing everything like i'd done before, but the scale just wasn't moving.

The reality? I'd gotten lazy with measuring, didn't think much of taking a little bit extra of this and that along the way, was missing the odd workout, and not putting in the time and effort I had originally. I just didn't see that, because in that moment, all I could think was "why the heck won't the scale move?"

So I did what several people have suggested to you in multiple threads; I reverse dieted back to maintenance, adding 100 cals per week. Maintained for about three months (the time frame just kind of matched what I needed while healing from a knee surgery), then cut by 500 calories. Like magic, I began to lose weight again and had all the motivation and consistency I originally had.

So my dear, OP. Do something about it or be quiet. There really isn't any advice left we can give.

You, I like.

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    flaminica wrote: »
    Lost to 230 not even counting calories accurately (estimates). Went off my low carb plan. Gained to 250. Counted calories down to 230. Stuck again. Cut calories down to a bonkers starving 1800. Lost some. Then boom, back up over one week.

I'm approaching this as someone fairly new who doesn't know your history and has no bias. One big problem leaps out at me here -- one I see over and over on these "why am I not losing" threads.

You're not changing your life: you're dieting. Stop Dieting.

You try something for a while and it works. Then you stop and the weight comes back. Well derp, of course it does. Albert Einstein defined insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." So stop with the unsustainable gimmicks, like starvation calories, no-carb, all-jello-all-the-time, or whatever the fad diet du jour is. Log accurately, eat sensibly and don't stop. This is it, this is your life. Not your diet.

I get the thinking but for me life starts at 200 when I'm not obese by definition anymore. Even then it will still probably all be some endless "program" or cycle of changing things up in one way or another.

Life starts when you reach a random number on a box. That's sad.

That sounds more intense than it needs to. I just mean until I get to a number I'm read to maintain at I'm just chasing a goal. Everything revolves around weight. Appearance, clothing, even fitness. I can only do a couple-few chin ups. I can't even do one of the most basic strength building exercises that almost every single program recommends.

No it does not. Where did you read that?

You sounds very childish sir. Everything does not revolve around looks.

actually, you can bulk at 15%. And really, everyone wants to be 10% so they can bulk???

come on man...

now you are just lashing out because others have the physique that you want, and can't seem to get to.

It is going to take the following:

dedication
    hard work
    micro/macro adherence
    accurate logging
    some kind of structured lifting/exercise program
    patience

Blah, I do all that already. I've been lifting for several years, been counting since last year, been being patient for years losing already. Accurate logging is a joke. People will say log accurately out of one side of their mouth then out of the other say it's impossible to always log accurately.

blah, dedication will show...
    Everyone wants it, not everyone is willing to put in the dedication required.
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    A reason why the rules of weight loss apply to others one way but me another? Or someone who's at least ran into the same thing.

Leptin and cortisol or thyroid or testosterone.

yes!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    alfiedn wrote: »
    As you get closer to your goal the grind becomes HARD!!! Your loss may slow to 0.5lbs a week or the scale may stay static and measurements may be the only thing changing, some weeks there may be no change at all. You just have to keep grinding that last little bit off and starving to death isn't the way to do it. There are plenty of tools at your disposal to help you, changes to your work outs, utilizing different cardio training variables, diet breaks eating back to your maintenance calories, carb cycling and on it goes.

You rebounded because you went on vacation and did vacation things there's not much mystery there.

Keep grinding it out and you'll get there..... in other words 'suck it up buttercup'
    But I'm not close to my goal? I'm 30lbs from it. That's super far from my goal. That's 30 weeks at a pound a week. 60 by your plan. Without stalls or breaks. Which would put it at 2 years or more. So why? Why are my 30lbs going to supposedly take 2 years but someone else just loses them and gets ripped in 6 months? That's the answer I'm looking for. What can I do to make my loss take 6 months like that guys.

30 pounds IS close to your goal! You're so close! :) Also, I looked at your chart and it looks like you're still trending down overall. Just because someone else can do it in x amount of time, doesn't mean you have to. There is no race to lose the weight here, unless I'm missing something. If you want to eat more, you may have to deal with it taking longer. If you're ok with eating less, it may take less time. Personally, I'd rather eat more and it sounds like you are similar to me.

The only thing that you are missing is that this poster has a long history of asking for and getting great advice and then ignoring it, only to return and complain that people who are younger/fitter/a different sex, etc. can eat more than him and still lose weight at a faster rate than he can. There is literally nothing that anybody is going to suggest that is going to appease him.

The last time he started a thread like this was right around when I started lurking on the forums. It made quite the impression.

I learned a lot from all the advice he ignored, though.

Ha!

FWIW, his thread from yesterday (actually started a couple of days ago.) It started out reasonable and I had hope (silly me) that maybe something would click but then, alas, it went the same as usual.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Diet break.

You've been cutting for a long time. Then, apart from the hormonal thing, it becomes a grind and you just find ways to eff it up for yourself.

Just eat at maintenance for a fortnight to a month - get all your hormone levels back to where they should be. Then attack a cut with gusto and verve and adhere to it in a cast iron fashion for 2-3 months. Then another couple of weeks at maintenance, then another 2-3 months. Before you know it, you'll be at your goal, feel a lot better and b*tch a lot less.

You're welcome.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *kitten* by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Some of these are lame excuses. The ability to run or do pull-ups isn't determined by how much you weigh. If you want to run, go run. If you want to do pull-ups, work on doing pull-ups. You don't do pull-ups by waiting until you get "light enough" and you certainly don't do them by crying about being too heavy. Get stronger.

I didn't say I don't run or can't. I said it will be easier. I'd be fast. My pace would be better. I'd be able to go for longer. And "get stronger" is another vague piece of advice. OK. So how specifically? If I can't lift myself I can't lift myself. It's not going to magically happen.

come on man. I know you should know the answer to this. What exactly have you learned in the forums?
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What is your BF%? Do you track measurements? I am a 141 lb female and am SLOWLY working my way from 23% BF to 20% BF. I have lost on avg .5 lbs per week eating an avg of 1800 calories a day. It is a slow slog but I don't really have much to lose. 5lbs in 10 weeks. And some weeks the scale doesn't move AT ALL or goes up...then bam, it's down and I keep working on it.

I suggest you stop focusing on the scale for a while and make some NSV's like BF% goal, a fitness goal (half marathon, triathlon, Tough Mudder, 100 mile bike ride).

Assuming you've gone to www.scoobysworkshop.com and read everything you can there? Or www.eatmore2weighless.com? Both are really good resources.

And really, it's no easier for anyone else. We all have to do the work of calories in, calories out and getting exercise. We are all under the general laws of science but a slight few have better genetics. It's all about attitude IMO.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I didn't say I don't run or can't. I said it will be easier. I'd be fast. My pace would be better. I'd be able to go for longer. And "get stronger" is another vague piece of advice. OK. So how specifically? If I can't lift myself I can't lift myself. It's not going to magically happen.

come on man. I know you should know the answer to this. What exactly have you learned in the forums?

How to lie about having been "lifting for several years", I'm thinking.
This discussion has been closed.