Was really fat. Now less fat. Stuck being less fat. So why?

Options

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Holler back when the doctor has the results of your bloodwork. The answer will probably be there.

61834627.jpg
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    stealing this gif. u know how I do

giphy.gif
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »

I didn't say I don't run or can't. I said it will be easier. I'd be fast. My pace would be better. I'd be able to go for longer. And "get stronger" is another vague piece of advice. OK. So how specifically? If I can't lift myself I can't lift myself. It's not going to magically happen.

I'm sorry but having read the whole thread and was resisting posting until the post I've quoted. Stop whining, moaning and man up. What's your definition of running longer? I'm still 20+lbs overweight having lost 140lbs in a little over 2 years. See the profile pic - the medal I'm holding is from this year's London Marathon which I ran in just under 4:40, my last long run before my first road marathon was my first ultra marathon that took me just under 8hrs. How did I get so I could run longer, or indeed how I've taken 30+mins off my half marathon time whilst only losing about 7lbs? I ran, I ran some more and then when I felt like quitting I ran a bit more. Would I be quicker if I was lighter? Yes, without doubt. But its not an excuse not to do or try or train now. The same goes for strength, when I started I couldn't do a push up or a pull up. I kept trying, straining hard with little success other than sore arms, then I found I could pull up a tiny bit, then a bit more and now I can do full push ups, and about 2 pull ups (but I'm working on it).

And BTW I know that not losing is frustrating, I've been hovering around the same weight (about 20lbs from goal) for about 6 months but I know why - I'm not being as consistent with my diet as I have been and an injury has limited my training for the last few weeks. I know how to fix this but am hapy maintaining for now and will get back on track after the mountain marathon I have this weekend.

Nothing magically happens, not stamina, speed, strength or weight loss it takes hard work, effort and not looking for excuses or quick fixes. You can continue with this boohoo self pity routine or you can start training harder, weighing and logging more accurately and find a lifestyle change that you can sustain.

This is probably the harshest post I've made on MFP in 2 years but it would appear good advise is falling on deaf ears so I'm hoping for your sake a kick in the pants may have more affect.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

please check out this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10195005/wheelchair-user-maintaining-75-lbs-lost-for-4-years

Then tell me why you can't find a way to do it again, please.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Holler back when the doctor has the results of your bloodwork. The answer will probably be there.

Or when he starts logging accurately and consistently.

This can be started immediately.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Dear OP,

please check out this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10195005/wheelchair-user-maintaining-75-lbs-lost-for-4-years

Then tell me why you can't find a way to do it again, please.

1372476798_39677-the-Big-Bang-theory-you-got-se-mdOC.gif
  • ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

if you don't believe in CICO why don't you eat 500 calories over your maintenance level and see what happens and report back the results in two months...

for some reason no one ever takes up this challenge...

I will if you will - but I get to eat 500 calories of almonds and you have to eat 500 calories of plain white spaghetti with cheddar cheese. Deal?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

if you don't believe in CICO why don't you eat 500 calories over your maintenance level and see what happens and report back the results in two months...

I will if you will - but I get to eat 500 calories of almonds and you have to eat 500 calories of plain white spaghetti with cheddar cheese. Deal?

He knows what happens when you go over maintenance so why would he join in on this?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Nope, because I am not the one challenging CICO, and it works for me and everyone else.

What does 500 calories of almonds have to do with 500 calories of white spaghetti...oh, I see what you did there...the ole bad food vs good food argument. Let me guess white spaghetti is bad but if I ate whole wheat spaghetti that would be good..right?

here do this - eat 500 calories over maintenance of almonds and report back with results. I am 100% sure you will gain weight.

but lets not derail this thread..feel free to start your own thread questioning CICO and we can debate over there.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Your food diary shows logging only for the past 10 days. So, I have a question - How often do you drink more than 2 drinks in a day? I realize Sunday was Father's Day, and could be why you logged 8 PBRs. However, your body will burn the booze calories before it will burn the stored fat. If you're consistently binge* drinking on weekends, your weight loss will stall even if you're doing everything else "right". I can't explain the science behind it, but it takes your body longer than a week after a binge* to resume losing weight. I experienced this phenomenon 2 summers ago. At first, just calorie restriction alone had the weight falling off me. When I got within 30 lbs of my goal, I plateaued for the entire summer (June 21 - Labour Day), despite staying within my weekly calories, exercising daily and logging food accurately. The difference? I was binge* drinking back too many of my exercise calories. After Labour Day, I cut my drinking way back and 2-1/2 weeks later the weight started coming off again. I stopped drinking entirely for a couple of months and got to within 7 lbs of my goal weight. If my personal life had not blown up at that point, I'd probably be at my goal weight and in maintenance now. At least this time around, I know I have to severely limit my booze to get the results I want. I'm within 30 lbs of my goal again and this summer, I'll be losing weight instead of plateauing.

*as defined by the medical profession of 5 drinks in one sitting for men; 4 for women.
  • PattiWalling
    PattiWalling Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I may be off in left field here since I did NOT read the whole thread, but have you considered a coach? I lost from 363 to 225 without counting calories and stayed there almost 18 months before I started gaining and when I hit 250 I realized the weight was coming back on if I didn't get PROactive. I employed a coach (online as he's in NH and I'm in TX) and first thing he had me do was log my food so i could report back to him in 3 weeks what my calorie intake was and the second thing was buy a Polar heart rate monitor and log my calories burned per workout. He then gave me specific macros (carbs, fats, proteins) and specified my HR for cardio. I went from 250 to 197 in a matter of 4 months just following his instructions. I speak with him monthly on the phone. It's a process and you WILL get there if you keep after it. Now, when I'm not losing I KNOW what I'm doing wrong. Good luck to you.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    zanne54 wrote: »
    Your food diary shows logging only for the past 10 days. So, I have a question - How often do you drink more than 2 drinks in a day? I realize Sunday was Father's Day, and could be why you logged 8 PBRs. However, your body will burn the booze calories before it will burn the stored fat. If you're consistently binge* drinking on weekends, your weight loss will stall even if you're doing everything else "right". I can't explain the science behind it, but it takes your body longer than a week after a binge* to resume losing weight. I experienced this phenomenon 2 summers ago. At first, just calorie restriction alone had the weight falling off me. When I got within 30 lbs of my goal, I plateaued for the entire summer (June 21 - Labour Day), despite staying within my weekly calories, exercising daily and logging food accurately. The difference? I was binge* drinking back too many of my exercise calories. After Labour Day, I cut my drinking way back and 2-1/2 weeks later the weight started coming off again. I stopped drinking entirely for a couple of months and got to within 7 lbs of my goal weight. If my personal life had not blown up at that point, I'd probably be at my goal weight and in maintenance now. At least this time around, I know I have to severely limit my booze to get the results I want. I'm within 30 lbs of my goal again and this summer, I'll be losing weight instead of plateauing.

*as defined by the medical profession of 5 drinks in one sitting for men; 4 for women.

Well I'm not sure if that is the case but I do agree. It's hard to binge drink and lose weight. It's not impossible but very difficult. 5 drinks is a binge drinker. Wow interesting.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Regarding not being able to the exercises or not very many of them. I understand how you might think that if you're not doing all of them to their fullest that it's not going to help. I have just started working on strength training myself. Literally. Like I'm 1 day in. I've searched for some 30 minute beginner workouts on YouTube and was all excited when I started today. I quickly got to a point, about 2 minutes in, so right after the warm up pretty much, where I couldn't keep up with the video. So instead of stopping and getting no benefit at all, I altered what I saw into something that still worked the muscles and that I could continue in the video. I completed the 30 minutes completely winded and with my heart pounding. So I know that even my half-assed versions were working my body in a way that will be beneficial and as I continue I expect to be able to complete the moves at the full level in time. I'm not worried how long it takes. I'm only concerned about completing it as often as I need to each week.
    There would be 2 minutes of cardio between different things. Those would be something like a lunge then hop to the other leg and then lunge with that leg and hop back again. I couldn't keep up with the hop in it. I had to switch from each lunge just by stepping into it. And after a couple, I couldn't go down as far as I was supposed to. So I just did what I could where I still felt my muscles burning.
    I couldn't do the side planks at all. I absolutely could not lift my hips off the floor. So I stayed in that position and with each lift, I just gave my best effort at lifting. I didn't get off the floor, but I could feel the muscles working trying to do it.
    There were many other ways I had to adapt this beginners workout to my current abilities including doing fewer reps and I am not one bit embarrassed about it because I saw it through. And I will do it again and again for as long as it takes.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Seriously, stop the bitching and whining, and LISTEN to the advice you're being given. You're not special, and you're not everyone else. What works/worked for others and what results they have gotten has NOTHING to do with you. YOU control YOU, YOUR success (or failure) lies solely in YOUR determination and will, and that's all there is to that! **kitten* mode deactivate*

kv8gwg857g7b.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    zanne54 wrote: »

I disagree. I go to the beach and have five or six beers on a Saturday and have had no issues dropping ten to eleven pounds on this most recent cut.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

61834627.jpg

stealing this too

61834627.jpg
This discussion has been closed.