Was really fat. Now less fat. Stuck being less fat. So why?

Options

Replies

• harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    flaminica wrote: »
    Lost to 230 not even counting calories accurately (estimates). Went off my low carb plan. Gained to 250. Counted calories down to 230. Stuck again. Cut calories down to a bonkers starving 1800. Lost some. Then boom, back up over one week.

I'm approaching this as someone fairly new who doesn't know your history and has no bias. One big problem leaps out at me here -- one I see over and over on these "why am I not losing" threads.

You're not changing your life: you're dieting. Stop Dieting.

You try something for a while and it works. Then you stop and the weight comes back. Well derp, of course it does. Albert Einstein defined insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." So stop with the unsustainable gimmicks, like starvation calories, no-carb, all-jello-all-the-time, or whatever the fad diet du jour is. Log accurately, eat sensibly and don't stop. This is it, this is your life. Not your diet.

I get the thinking but for me life starts at 200 when I'm not obese by definition anymore. Even then it will still probably all be some endless "program" or cycle of changing things up in one way or another.

Life starts when you reach a random number on a box. That's sad.

That sounds more intense than it needs to. I just mean until I get to a number I'm read to maintain at I'm just chasing a goal. Everything revolves around weight. Appearance, clothing, even fitness. I can only do a couple-few chin ups. I can't even do one of the most basic strength building exercises that almost every single program recommends.

No it does not. Where did you read that?

You sounds very childish sir. Everything does not revolve around looks.

Yeah, that's why everyone has headless pictures of their abs. And I said weight, not looks. Weight affects how you look, the clothes you can buy/fit in, and even the exercises you can do. Running at 200lbs is easier than 230. Biking. Pull-ups. Stamina. Even down to the amount of muscle you can build. Why is everyone trying to be 10% body fat? So they can bulk.

actually, you can bulk at 15%. And really, everyone wants to be 10% so they can bulk???

come on man...

now you are just lashing out because others have the physique that you want, and can't seem to get to.

It is going to take the following:

dedication
    hard work
    micro/macro adherence
    accurate logging
    some kind of structured lifting/exercise program
    patience

People will say log accurately out of one side of their mouth then out of the other say it's impossible to always log accurately.
    And I am one of those people. IMO it is impossible to log 100% accurately. You have a steak, how marbled is it, how much water content does it contain? Do you leave no fat trim around the edge, or do you leave a 1/4 inch. It could be extremely lean, or extremely marbled, and for most people they would log it the same, when the more marbled one will have more calories.

The FDA allows up to 20% margin of error on nutritional labels.

You go outside and run 5km. How many calories did you burn? Who knows.. how hot was it, how much was an incline vs decline, what was heartrate. Did you have to wait at the lights for 40 seconds so you got some rest?

You eat out at a local non chain restuarant once.. who knows how much calories you ate.

But does that mean you counting is pointless and you shouldn't do it? No. Because even though it isn't 100% accurate you can get a ballpark figure of how much you are eating. Sure you can be off by 20%, which if you are eating close to your maintenance can be the difference between losing, and gaining.. but If you aren't losing then you eating too much and should lower it more.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    In
    giphy.giftumblr_inline_mh90ldp3yH1qz4rgp.gif
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's why everyone has headless pictures of their abs. And I said weight, not looks. Weight affects how you look, the clothes you can buy/fit in, and even the exercises you can do. Running at 200lbs is easier than 230. Biking. Pull-ups. Stamina. Even down to the amount of muscle you can build. Why is everyone trying to be 10% body fat? So they can bulk.

Some of these are lame excuses. The ability to run or do pull-ups isn't determined by how much you weigh. If you want to run, go run. If you want to do pull-ups, work on doing pull-ups. You don't do pull-ups by waiting until you get "light enough" and you certainly don't do them by crying about being too heavy. Get stronger.

I didn't say I don't run or can't. I said it will be easier. I'd be fast. My pace would be better. I'd be able to go for longer. And "get stronger" is another vague piece of advice. OK. So how specifically? If I can't lift myself I can't lift myself. It's not going to magically happen.

come on man. I know you should know the answer to this. What exactly have you learned in the forums?

How to lie about having been "lifting for several years", I'm thinking.

People say that and when I see them talk about lifting it does not correlate. I disregard that statement as soon as it was said.
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I plateau at the same weight every time. It takes me a lot longer to lose weight than many people and I also get annoyed sometimes. It's crap but I figure it's okay overall.

Don't weigh yourself as regularly and if you're just coming off vacation or whatever, carry on with your normal weight-loss routine for a couple more weeks, recording everything you eat and exercise. See a doctor if you feel you're really eating too little and not losing weight and you can show them your logs. They'll be better able to help you than people on the mfp forum.

Honestly I think some people just lose weight slower. I haven't been losing numerical scale weight for months but I've continued my routine (the calories MFP sets me + eating back exercise and working out about 5x a week). The scale says I'm still fat. I can't rely on myself to judge how 'fat' I am in the mirror but I'm getting good feedback from the people around me, my clothes and the measuring tape.

I'm not on the forums a lot and couldn't figure out from this thread and your diary if you've been exercising regular or not. I know people here are like, only the calories you eat are important, and abs are made in the kitchen and *kitten*, but for real. For me exercising regularly has helped my body become narrower and tighter, although my weight's stayed the same. Since about March, I kid you not. And apparently building muscle and exercising will eventually help increase your metabolic rate and hopefully get you to your goal weight in the near future. But yeah that last few pounds before your goal weight's a *kitten* to lose.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Lost to 230 not even counting calories accurately (estimates). Went off my low carb plan. Gained to 250. Counted calories down to 230. Stuck again. Cut calories down to a bonkers starving 1800. Lost some. Then boom, back up over one week.

I'm approaching this as someone fairly new who doesn't know your history and has no bias. One big problem leaps out at me here -- one I see over and over on these "why am I not losing" threads.

You try something for a while and it works. Then you stop and the weight comes back. Well derp, of course it does. Albert Einstein defined insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." So stop with the unsustainable gimmicks, like starvation calories, no-carb, all-jello-all-the-time, or whatever the fad diet du jour is. Log accurately, eat sensibly and don't stop. This is it, this is your life. Not your diet.

I get the thinking but for me life starts at 200 when I'm not obese by definition anymore. Even then it will still probably all be some endless "program" or cycle of changing things up in one way or another.

To me this says you will never ever be happy with yourself, ever. I weigh ~260 . . . maybe 255 on a good day where I haven't eaten yet lol . . . and I would love to hit onederland at some point in my adult life! I would LOVE IT . . . but I'm still living a great life now. I am running 5 and 10Ks and doing spin 2 days a week. I am training almost every day. I could probably trim up my eating . . . probably! . . . and have better results but I'm still living my life.

If you have to wait until you reach a certain weight that's like saying I won't be a person until I'm a mom and I have something to live for. We have something to live for every single day. You will never be happy at any weight. You could hit 200, do a bulk cycle, beef right up and you'd still probably be really unhappy with yourself. Attaching a number on a scale (and a random number at that) to your self worth is dangerous, really.

I definitely think you need to talk to someone about these issues - they are outside of weight loss, I think.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *kitten* by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

No more Tommy Boy for you LOL
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This is a really good article you should read. Says a 400 calorie deficit from TDEE for men is best. 300 for women. Calls into question the formula of how we have been taught to lose weight (cut 1000 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week) and says there is in fact more at play than this simple formula.

http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/implement-an-antifat-diet-strategy
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

That sounds more intense than it needs to. I just mean until I get to a number I'm read to maintain at I'm just chasing a goal. Everything revolves around weight. Appearance, clothing, even fitness. I can only do a couple-few chin ups. I can't even do one of the most basic strength building exercises that almost every single program recommends.

Uh no . . . I know girls who are mid to high 100's (IE 170 - 190lbs) and they can't run a 5K. I weigh ~260 and I can.

I can squat ~125lbs . . . they can't even squat an Olympic bar. Weight has nothing to do with my fitness compared to them. Also, if you look at mybodygallery.com you will see just how different people of the same weight can look and what sizes of clothing they fit into. It's definitely not everything.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *kitten* by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

No more Tommy Boy for you LOL
    Agree to disagree.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

No it does not. Where did you read that?

You sounds very childish sir. Everything does not revolve around looks.

actually, you can bulk at 15%. And really, everyone wants to be 10% so they can bulk???

come on man...

now you are just lashing out because others have the physique that you want, and can't seem to get to.

It is going to take the following:

dedication
    hard work
    micro/macro adherence
    accurate logging
    some kind of structured lifting/exercise program
    patience

Blah, I do all that already. I've been lifting for several years, been counting since last year, been being patient for years losing already. Accurate logging is a joke. People will say log accurately out of one side of their mouth then out of the other say it's impossible to always log accurately.

if you truly are doing that with zero results...then go see a doctor and get tested for a medical condition ..

but reviewing your food diary your intake is all over the place and there is no way that you have been consistent with your intake...so yea, no you are not doing all that.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    These seems to be a thing people don't talk about much. You see plenty of people who are 5lbs from goal freaking out because they can't lose the last 5lbs. You also see plenty of people lining up to help them, especially if the OP is a woman nearing tiny bikini progress photo status. You don't see a lot of explanations of why someone heavy who's lost weight but is stuck still pretty heavy can't lose weight. So, ideas? Anything logical? I used to weigh 365lbs. Lost to 230 not even counting calories accurately (estimates). Went off my low carb plan. Gained to 250. Counted calories down to 230. Stuck again. Cut calories down to a bonkers starving 1800. Lost some. Then boom, back up over one week.

Here's the graph: https://trendweight.com/u/f8ef80f0071149/

So, anyone else experience this? Any advice? Yeah yeah. Go to the doctor. I'm squeezing an appointment in Thursday but I am experience no other health related symptoms other than the complete inability to lose weight and actually eat a human sized amount of food.

You use this line all the time. a) it's incorrect and b) it belies what a bitter sexist you are.

You don't get the answers you want because you shoot down and make excuses for every suggestion and help people offer. You have easily the worst attitude of any regular poster I've ever seen and until you work on that first and foremost very little is going to change for you. I don't know why anyone bothers to help you anymore.

Oh and I reported this thread for trolling.

<applause>
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Diet break.

You've been cutting for a long time. Then, apart from the hormonal thing, it becomes a grind and you just find ways to eff it up for yourself.

Just eat at maintenance for a fortnight to a month - get all your hormone levels back to where they should be. Then attack a cut with gusto and verve and adhere to it in a cast iron fashion for 2-3 months. Then another couple of weeks at maintenance, then another 2-3 months. Before you know it, you'll be at your goal, feel a lot better and b*tch a lot less.

You're welcome.

@jimmmer I recommended this about six months ago and he has yet do it ..or he did it for a week or something...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

"Life starts at 200 when I'm not obese by definition anymore"

What do you think will be different about your life simply because you hit 200lbs, other than the fact that you weight 200lbs?

Then you say "even then it will probably all be some endless 'program'"... That statement already sounds a little defeated. It sounds like you may think that "other people" at an ideal weight don't have to be consistent with their lifestyle to maintain it. Your physical fitness is 100% related to your lifestyle. If your daily life doesn't require a fair amount of physical exertion from you, then you will have to be mindful of the energy you supply your body. You wouldn't put gas in your car if the tank was full and you weren't driving anywhere.

You also said "or cycle of changing things up". Most people eat the same basic foods/meals. Probably 15-30 items that are pretty much staples in your diet. Some of the things in your current rotation are probably not offering much satisfaction and overall nutrition for the calories they are gobbling up, making it difficult for you to cut calories and be consistent. For any hope of long term success you will need to control hunger. You need to figure out the items that are sabotaging you and remove them or possibly control them, but removing them from your life entirely would be safer. But there's no reason to think you will have to change things up once you get there and have found success. It's a more likely successful goal to expect to create a new way of eating. It's consistency that will keep you steady for the long term. You know, your whole life. Not just while trying to lose weight.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - what is your lifting regimen like? Strong lifts, starting strength, all pro, etc? Please list what lifts you are performing, number of sets and reps, etc...
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Actually generally it boils down to either or both of the following:

You are eating more calories than you think
    You are burning fewer calories than you think

the things in your OP are mainly short-term stalls (eg less than 6-8 weeks) and majoring in the minors

I like how 8 weeks isn't a long time. That's two months.

It took you a lot longer than that to learn how to talk. Or walk. Or pretty much anything else important.

Bottom line - 8 weeks from now you can be closer to your goal - or not.

Up to the individual.

2 months is nothing. Someone is complaining about having to to diet for 2 extra months? REALLY?? You might struggle a bit in losing weight until you work on your patience.

The words of all the people ever who probably didn't have much to lose or haven't been doing it very long. I've been at this for YEARS and I still have 30lbs or more to go. When I hear any sort of "wait, be patient, just a couple more months" it's eye roll inducing.

So at what point are you allowed to have a point of view ...is it 30lbs? 50? Over a hundred?

You've been at it for years? ...I remember you when I first joined the forums and you just used to complain all the time that it was impossible and yeah, dude, you used to whine a lot. But then you changed, a new av and I thought a new attitude...you seemed to have worked it out, and I thought he's worked it out ...and only 30lbs left to go you seem to be getting there

I'm actually a little shocked to see your attitude may not have changed

I felt the same way.

Also can I just say that why do you keep complaining about how much you had to lose? @BFDeal Maybe take some responsibility for having to lose that much excess weight. It ain't no one elses fault is it?

You think I complain that I had to lose over 70 pounds and still have weight to lose? No. Who fault is it? Mine.

I still never got an answer for this.
    after this comment.
    These seems to be a thing people don't talk about much. You see plenty of people who are 5lbs from goal freaking out because they can't lose the last 5lbs. You also see plenty of people lining up to help them, especially if the OP is a woman nearing tiny bikini progress photo status.

I want an answer.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Diet break.

You've been cutting for a long time. Then, apart from the hormonal thing, it becomes a grind and you just find ways to eff it up for yourself.

Just eat at maintenance for a fortnight to a month - get all your hormone levels back to where they should be. Then attack a cut with gusto and verve and adhere to it in a cast iron fashion for 2-3 months. Then another couple of weeks at maintenance, then another 2-3 months. Before you know it, you'll be at your goal, feel a lot better and b*tch a lot less.

You're welcome.

@jimmmer I recommended this about six months ago and he has yet do it ..or he did it for a week or something...

I'm guessing that he's had just about every shred of excellent advice going and failed to action any of it. Or halfarsed some of it for 3 days and then said it didn't work.

I won't be wasting anymore time on this one....
  • yopeeps025
    edited June 2015
    Options
    These seems to be a thing people don't talk about much. You see plenty of people who are 5lbs from goal freaking out because they can't lose the last 5lbs. You also see plenty of people lining up to help them, especially if the OP is a woman nearing tiny bikini progress photo status. You don't see a lot of explanations of why someone heavy who's lost weight but is stuck still pretty heavy can't lose weight. So, ideas? Anything logical? I used to weigh 365lbs. Lost to 230 not even counting calories accurately (estimates). Went off my low carb plan. Gained to 250. Counted calories down to 230. Stuck again. Cut calories down to a bonkers starving 1800. Lost some. Then boom, back up over one week.

Here's the graph: https://trendweight.com/u/f8ef80f0071149/

So, anyone else experience this? Any advice? Yeah yeah. Go to the doctor. I'm squeezing an appointment in Thursday but I am experience no other health related symptoms other than the complete inability to lose weight and actually eat a human sized amount of food.

You use this line all the time. a) it's incorrect and b) it belies what a bitter sexist you are.

You don't get the answers you want because you shoot down and make excuses for every suggestion and help people offer. You have easily the worst attitude of any regular poster I've ever seen and until you work on that first and foremost very little is going to change for you. I don't know why anyone bothers to help you anymore.

Oh and I reported this thread for trolling.

Funny thing is OP made fun of me in the past last year on the forum. All I remember saying was lets see those ticker later. Let's see who get to their goal. I specific remember this poster. Funny how things look now.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Holler back when the doctor has the results of your bloodwork. The answer will probably be there.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You know you've done really well and lost a huge amount

But what I think is a lot harsher, because when I first visited the forums you were this endlessly pessimistic voice taking huge amounts of advice from very intelligent posters and just ignoring everything , and I doubt a single thing will have changed

...I think you should quite whining and making your excuses and just knuckle down and do the things you've been told to do ad nauseum by people like MrM ...I remember him telling you to go to the doctor and get tested, I remember you saying you would make an appointment ...and here you are talking about making an appointment; talking about your life starting at a certain scale number

Your life has already started mate, you need to start making the most of the life you've got because nothing is waiting for you to get your act in gear, it's just carrying on around you

This discussion has been closed.