Okay...McDonald's...Yes, No, Sometimes?

Options

Replies

• shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile, sure. Once in awhile being maybe once every couple of weeks on a night I can't be bothered to cook and I have at least 600 cals left at the end of the day. I don't crave it anymore but if we want something quick and easy, it's good to know there's an option there.

Also I get the burger ONLY. No chips or drinks.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Confession....I had McDonald's tonight (1 double cheeseburger and a 4 pc. Nugget w Water)...really pretty mad at myself for it. I was just wondering how other people approach fast food.

Lol, just got back from McDonald's. I went to get Sunday treats=chocolate sundaes!
    But, this is only about a once every 6 or 7 week occurrence. I do stop there very often for their $.99 coffee, and on occasion their fruit and nut oatmeal.
    I stay away from fast -food like burgers and fries just because of the high calorie counts. I'd rather eat a huge Subway sandwich for half the calories.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    On several of my many 'weight loss journeys', I ate fast food like 5-6 times a week. And I am sure I'd do the same now..if I was living close to a fast food place. I just counted the calories.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of McDonald's, I'd rather go to Burger King or Culver's. I love whoppers and butter burgers.
  • fearnsey71
    fearnsey71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've read that McD's fries contain 14 ingredients, one of which is sugar.
  • szecsenyi
    szecsenyi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Chicken McNuggets! 6 pieces. Once a week, or in every second week.
  • Mark_on_a_Mission
    Mark_on_a_Mission Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If it fits into my calories, no problem! I ocassionally go for a deli, but my most regular McDonalds treat is a black coffee - with no cals :)
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I got no problem with it other than the taste...if I;m gonna have a burger I want a real *kitten* BURGER.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    When I have McDonald's, I have a cheeseburger and fries, or a Filet of Fish and fries.

I've only had McDonald's once since starting with MFP (been here 80 days), and this thread is making me want some!
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you like it then eat it. Don't make food an enemy. I rarely have McDonald's but mainly because even if it fits in my calories it's not as satisfying as a larger, fresher, greener meal.
  • limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »
    Most items are priced to reflect their quality and the cost it takes to produce them. I'm not trying to say that that the costs of the two items are related, I am saying that it is bizarre that meat can be produced in such an industrial quantity that living creatures can be sold cheaper than common house-hold items.

McDonald's has built a hugely efficient supply chain, and they sell at a much higher volume than your typical six-pack of Charmin. I'm not saying McDs food is super quality, I'm saying it's false to simply say "It's cheap, so it's bad." Economics are complex.

Yes, and what I'm saying is that it is ethically wrong (as well as the fact it tastes gross, but that's just my opinion :P) - nutritionally it is not 'bad' depending on if you can eat it in moderation and make it to fit your calorie/health/fitness goals, the supply chain McDonald's has built up relies on destruction of the environment and rearing animals in a cruel environment. Being able to buy something so cheaply means people have expectations of rock-bottom prices which perpetuate the cycle. We already have one poster above who says that if he can't find someone to share his meal with he'll throw half of it in the bin. To me, that's pretty shocking, to throw good food away on a whim. Don't think many people will feel that way about fillet mignon, but a whole meal that costs next to nothing? Sure, it's disposable.

Sorry to that poster btw! Don't mean to pick on anyone, really, but I'm always surprised how casually food is disposed of in developed nations, and I think a lot of that has to do with how disconnected we've become with how it's produced.

Aaaaanndd... I've derailed. Sorry x1000, but it's just a topic that interests me as you can see lol

Um. No, actually.

http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/mcdonalds/grandin1.html

But whatever makes you feel smug.

So terrible, industrial agriculture's role in solving wold hunger and improving animal welfare. Should definitely do something about that.

Interesting that you assumed I felt smug. I don't. I do however, have facts on my side and not just a woman who can commune with the animals.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »
    Most items are priced to reflect their quality and the cost it takes to produce them. I'm not trying to say that that the costs of the two items are related, I am saying that it is bizarre that meat can be produced in such an industrial quantity that living creatures can be sold cheaper than common house-hold items.

McDonald's has built a hugely efficient supply chain, and they sell at a much higher volume than your typical six-pack of Charmin. I'm not saying McDs food is super quality, I'm saying it's false to simply say "It's cheap, so it's bad." Economics are complex.

Yes, and what I'm saying is that it is ethically wrong (as well as the fact it tastes gross, but that's just my opinion :P) - nutritionally it is not 'bad' depending on if you can eat it in moderation and make it to fit your calorie/health/fitness goals, the supply chain McDonald's has built up relies on destruction of the environment and rearing animals in a cruel environment. Being able to buy something so cheaply means people have expectations of rock-bottom prices which perpetuate the cycle. We already have one poster above who says that if he can't find someone to share his meal with he'll throw half of it in the bin. To me, that's pretty shocking, to throw good food away on a whim. Don't think many people will feel that way about fillet mignon, but a whole meal that costs next to nothing? Sure, it's disposable.

Sorry to that poster btw! Don't mean to pick on anyone, really, but I'm always surprised how casually food is disposed of in developed nations, and I think a lot of that has to do with how disconnected we've become with how it's produced.

Aaaaanndd... I've derailed. Sorry x1000, but it's just a topic that interests me as you can see lol

Um. No, actually.

http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/mcdonalds/grandin1.html

But whatever makes you feel smug.

So terrible, industrial agriculture's role in solving wold hunger and improving animal welfare. Should definitely do something about that.

Interesting that you assumed I felt smug. I don't. I do however, have facts on my side and not just a woman who can commune with the animals.

So you mean you know more about it than the world's foremost expert on slaughterhouse construction because you read someone's silly propaganda?

Okay.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I still eat fast food. Except now I eat it maybe 2-3 times a month as opposed to 5-6 times a week like I used to. I just count it and move on. I have found though, that even when eating fast food now, I am making overall better choices and choosing restaurants that have better quality food (like Chipotle.....nothing beats a yummy burrito bowl) and makes me feel more satisfied after the meal.

However, I just can't imagine life without a Bacon, Egg and Cheese Biscuit every once in a while. ;)
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I love McDonalds. I might go there today!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    People commit murder and feel less shame than so many of us do for drinking a milkshake.

lol I love this... It's so true. I trip out hard over this stuff but the reality is, it doesn't matter. We would all be better off not being so hard on ourselves. Especially since it fit into your day, I don't see the big deal.
  • GibsonSG_67
    GibsonSG_67 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I usually will grab some for breakfast once a week... Seems ok. I mean look how awesome I am!!
    :D
  • Heulitt26
    Heulitt26 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it anymore after my hubby got food poisoning from the nuggets, but upon not being bias if it didn't set you over your limit definitely ok. Don't freak over minor mess ups it'll just push you back father than needed. Move on and be done. I would only worry about the sodium content and what actually is in their food - I don't know but if you're selling something for cheap normally it has cheap ingredients which aren't normally good for you or your body.

but i totally understand cravings for specific foods too. I just had my son he's turning 3 months soon lol
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I don't really eat fast good either unless I absolutely have to. Like if my little sister wants to go after church and that's what she considers to be our bonding moment. Also, fast food is gross. Tastes great.. but yeh.

How is it gross?

Lol..probably because it's "fast food".
    When I moved to Chicago I swore I would never eat fast food. The food here in Chi-town is heaven on earth. Who needs ( want ) fast food garbage when there are all these amazing little places to eat in every street corner.
    However, after living here for almost 4 years I have been to McD multiple times.

Agreed, so many little mom and pop food places. No need for fast food here. I've never even had Dominos or Pizza Hut before.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Confession....I had McDonald's tonight (1 double cheeseburger and a 4 pc. Nugget w Water)...really pretty mad at myself for it. I was just wondering how other people approach fast food.

My approach to fast food is to eat it only when all other options will seriously mess up my schedule, which boils down to maybe once a year.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The quality of the food at McD's just doesn't justify the calories. There are usually so many other better options out there. Its just not one of those places that I find difficult to resist. I guess that's why I haven't been there in a while.