Okay...McDonald's...Yes, No, Sometimes?

Options

Replies

• DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    2x a week grilled chicken and ranch premium mcwrap. 470 cals. Have it for dinner. Decent amount of chicken, so decent amount of protein.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Once a month or so. But just a simple burger or salad.
    70044776.png
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Make the right choices (and I don't even mean salads) and you can fit it right into your goals.

Signed,
    Jared of McChickens (work in progress)
  • SleepingBeautyMarine
    SleepingBeautyMarine Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If it keeps me under my daily calorie goal and I'm only indulging once in while instead of on a regular basis, I go for it. Had fish filet combo about 2 or 3 weeks ago and enjoyed every bite without guilt. I really haven't given up the foods l love, I just have it in moderation. For example my favorite ice cream is 1/2 cup per serving, so I will eat 1/4 cup, which satisfies my sweet tooth and keeps me within my within my calorie goal. I also don't beat myself up if I have bad moments, just view the next day as a chance to do better.

I also have a package of turkey burger that I use to fill my burger cravings and buy sweet potato fries from the grocery store and pop in the oven or toaster oven if it's just me.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    No way for McDonald's.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    Nope, the first thing I gave up was fast food. I could eat it now if I wanted but its just not worth the calories. I would need to spend 2hrs on the treadmill to burn off that burger, no thanks. Back while I was losing I had a goal and a date that I needed to reach that goal by. There was no room for things that did not align with that goal. You can have and do whatever you like but if you are serious about losing weight and starting a healthy life then you should align the majority of your decisions with that goal. Yep you can have McDonalds today but you cannot have McD today, Pizza Hut tomorrow, birthday cake the next, Dairy Queen after that, and potato chips and icecream every snack and think you will reach your goal anytime in the near future. You gained weight by giving in to your wants and you will only lose weight when you say No to treats twice as often as you used to say Yes.

This is true, too. If it's a slippery slope for you, OP, like you say, it helps to try to stick to choices that keep you as full as possible within your calorie target. And as you noted, you can totally do that by planning your meals so that you're not in a situation where you find yourself hangry with only a McD's around, and the last thing you feel like eating is a salad (with respect to salad lovers).

So log everything. And, when you have a stressful day or something like the above happens, put that in the food diary too, in the Notes, so you know why it happened (instead of feeling bad about it) and can plan to prevent it.

Equally, when you do plan your meals, and when you hit on food combinations and amounts (and even times) that totally work for you, note that down too. It will just take some experimenting.

It might be you're better off with 4-5 smaller meals, or 3 bigger ones. Maybe you're better having a big breakfast and a smaller lunch. Maybe you feel great and satisfied when you have a tuna sandwich with a bowl of bean soup, or with eggs and ham and bread.

Whatever it is, put that down in your Notes as well as logging database entries. That way, when you look at a report, you can see the impact of the food you ate, and make those choices more often. (Or less often, as the case may be.) And it can also take some of the emotion out of it when other factors play a role.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Something I was surprised about when I finally started logging properly was actually how relatively low McDonalds was. I like to eat big, but my preferred breakfast comes to just over 1000 calories, and takes me past lunch, leaving me plenty of calories for dinner and a mid-afternoon snack. The big lunch or dinner option that I prefer is just over 1700 calories, which is a lot! But if I am having it on a day where I plan to eat at maintenance, then I still have 500 calories for a small meal - and the McDonalds has filled me up big at that point.
  • Varamyr38
    Varamyr38 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Eat anything you want. I eat fast food and everything I still like. Instead of overdoing it, I pay attention to the calories and eat a significantly less portion. Works wonders. Trying to stick to clean eating forever will just make you feel like a failure. Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Something I was surprised about when I finally started logging properly was actually how relatively low McDonalds was. I like to eat big, but my preferred breakfast comes to just over 1000 calories, and takes me past lunch, leaving me plenty of calories for dinner and a mid-afternoon snack. The big lunch or dinner option that I prefer is just over 1700 calories, which is a lot! But if I am having it on a day where I plan to eat at maintenance, then I still have 500 calories for a small meal - and the McDonalds has filled me up big at that point.
    This brings up a good point.

My preferred breakfast is about 1000 calories, too, but leaves me with about 350 for the rest of the day. It's also not very filling, so I'd be hungry all day long.

My preferred lunch/dinner means if I eat it, I can't eat anything else that day and only get half my allotted calories the nest day, too. That's without cookies.

The amount of calories you're allotted would have a big impact on how much of it you could eat, even if you weren't concerned about how healthy it is.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,632 Member
    Options
    Add some lettuce, tomatoes, and red onions to your double hamburger.... I know I do! (330 to 350 Cal depending on amount of onions and whether you dip in extra ketchup ;-)

Egg mcmuffin, no margarine, add tomato, add red onion (!that will wake you!) add extra round egg: also about 350.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'd go to McD if I liked it. I hate it, though. So I go to Wendy's or Carl Jr. or Arby's or Whataburger or Chick Fil A or Taco Bell when I go out, depending on where I am, if I want fast food.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am a sucker for fast food. If I stay away I'm fine, but if I find myself in a situation where it's available I can't resist comfort food. I especially like to try the "limited time" sort of burgers. When I succumb to the temptation, I usually try to mitigate it by skipping fries and drinking unsweetened iced tea. Generally, McDs means I go over my calories for the day because it's impulse and not planned.

Speaking of burgers that are awful in the calorie count but heavenly on the plate, Red Robin -- just keep me away. Some of those burgers are 1000 calories *on their own*, but they are soooo goooood ...
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i go once in awhile. The artisan grilled chicken is tasty 360 cals. add a small fry for 230 cals = 590 cals I can fit that in once in awhile
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,632 Member
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »
    Speaking of burgers that are awful in the calorie count but heavenly on the plate, Red Robin -- just keep me away. Some of those burgers are 1000 calories *on their own*, but they are soooo goooood ...
    Do not make the mistake of even THINKING about ordering the 13 onion ring tower!
    I shared one with two others.
    Definitely an occasion where looking up the calories BEFORE ordering would have paid off!
    2000Cal, without the dipping sauces!

On the flip side, ordering the burger "lettuce wrapped" reduces the Calorie count dramatically (you minus the buttered burger bun) AND saves you $'s since you can skip ordering a side salad :smiley:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Had McDonald's on Monday, guilt free. I had a Bacon Ranch Salad, a Fruit & yogurt parfait and a diet coke. 650 calories, 42g of protein. It was filling and tasted great.

Work it into your calories, enjoy your food.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    we eat fast food/ eat out all the time. I just plan for it and prefer to do it on workout days when i have more calories to play with.

i dont care for mcdonalds, personally, but when i do have to get something there, i like the bacon ranch chicken wrap (fried- cause if i have to eat there I'm getting exactly what i want LOL). i dont like their burgers at all and dont ever get them.
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes, no, sometimes or WHY?! If I was going to have a calorie splurge, it would be on something delicious.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I'm an occasional person. I try to make sure it fits in my cals.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I go in for a cheeseburger and fries. For me it's comfort food. Since it is usually lunch time it is not a problem to work it into my goals for the day. Last weekend I stopped in for a green apple smoothie. It was delicious. :)
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    We live a 15 minute walk from McDonald's. So once or twice a month on a Wednesday the family will walk up for a cheeseburger. A little more frequently for ice cream because it does a good job satisfying the sweet tooth and with four kids is a good bang for the two bucks spent. And yeah I "justify" it with the walk to go get it, but not really because I don't feel guilty about it.