Okay...McDonald's...Yes, No, Sometimes?

Options

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Culver's is usually my jam. Awesome bacon cheeseburgers. And most know my feelings towards deep fried cheese curds and chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. Yummy. If I go to McDs I'll usually get the grilled chicken sandwich or the grilled chicken wrap.

Culvers just opened a store near me. Good lord it was backed up around the block for weeks. I'd hate to see what would happen if In and Out opened here.
  • limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »
    Most items are priced to reflect their quality and the cost it takes to produce them. I'm not trying to say that that the costs of the two items are related, I am saying that it is bizarre that meat can be produced in such an industrial quantity that living creatures can be sold cheaper than common house-hold items.

McDonald's has built a hugely efficient supply chain, and they sell at a much higher volume than your typical six-pack of Charmin. I'm not saying McDs food is super quality, I'm saying it's false to simply say "It's cheap, so it's bad." Economics are complex.

Yes, and what I'm saying is that it is ethically wrong (as well as the fact it tastes gross, but that's just my opinion :P) - nutritionally it is not 'bad' depending on if you can eat it in moderation and make it to fit your calorie/health/fitness goals, the supply chain McDonald's has built up relies on destruction of the environment and rearing animals in a cruel environment. Being able to buy something so cheaply means people have expectations of rock-bottom prices which perpetuate the cycle. We already have one poster above who says that if he can't find someone to share his meal with he'll throw half of it in the bin. To me, that's pretty shocking, to throw good food away on a whim. Don't think many people will feel that way about fillet mignon, but a whole meal that costs next to nothing? Sure, it's disposable.

Sorry to that poster btw! Don't mean to pick on anyone, really, but I'm always surprised how casually food is disposed of in developed nations, and I think a lot of that has to do with how disconnected we've become with how it's produced.

Aaaaanndd... I've derailed. Sorry x1000, but it's just a topic that interests me as you can see lol

• limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I say no. Get a real burger that tastes good and good fries from a local joint instead.

Amen!

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OP I think the majority of the people here have told you that yes, it's fine to eat McDonalds, or any other fast food, in moderation. If you can fit it in your day, and most people should be able to do that fairly regularly, then it will not hinder your goals.

I'm concerned that you are associating guilt with your food choices and if you're getting this worked up about one meal at McDonalds (which wasn't even that high in calories), what other foods are you unnecessarily restricting because you feel like you shouldn't eat them?

Many of the most successful people on here eat a balanced diet with primarily nutrient dense foods and leave room for whatever treats they like on a regular basis. I have wine and/or something sweet almost every day. I eat pizza and fast food fairly often. I lost my 30 lbs and am successfully maintaining with this approach.

Good luck.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Kman4evah wrote: »

I don't know, Five Guys Burgers and Fries is pretty good... :p

Oh, do NOT get me started on Five Guys ... no seriously, if I get started I will lose all willpower and go there RIGHT NOW.

I am a burger addict.
  • jf3334
    jf3334 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it. I've cut about 100 calories each day this week to save up for some Swenson's tonight (delicious fast food in Ohio). Work it into your plan. Or if not, get back to it the next day.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    The problem with McDonald's or any fast food for that matter is trying to stay under my meal goals of no more than 400 calories per meal.

They make an Artisan Chicken Sandwich now that comes in at 360 calories. I get that with a diet coke when I get fast food.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The problem with McDonald's or any fast food for that matter is trying to stay under my meal goals of no more than 400 calories per meal.

I generally aim to have all my meals more than 400 calories (breakfast is often around that level).

I don't eat McD's since it's not my thing (I have other indulgences), but the calories have never struck me as all that high compared with similar options for the same things, and contrary to the "and you'll be starving 1 hour later" I also found that kind of food pretty filling when I ate it (probably depends on whether you are someone who finds fat filling or not).

I'm not saying anyone should eat it (I don't, although I ate Chipotle today, so possibly same thing), but that I would not feel bad about fitting it into my calories if I liked it.
    A year and a half ago I tipped the scales at nearly 300 pounds and wore a size 48 pants, My blood pressure was 160+ over 90+ my resting heart rate was in the 80's and wuld sky rocket past 100 just walking to the frig, Today I'm down over 90 pounds my son and I fit into the same 36 size pants, I'm just 1 pound shy of being under 200 for the first time in over 15 years, My blood pressure is 114/62 and my resting heart rate is 44 and I have to jog to get my heart rate above 125.

Congrats on your success!
    So to answer your question, should you feel guilty, Well that all depends on what your goals are, If you are looking for permanent weight loss then yes you should feel guilty. There is no magic bullet or pill for permanent weight loss it Permanent weight loss for most people requires a life style change which requires a lot of will-power, a life style which should be void of as much processed fast food as possible, again something easier said than done.

Why is occasionally eating McD's within your calories something that is contrary to permanent weight loss or something to feel guilty about? Heck, I don't think guilt about food is productive even when one eats over one's calories or the like. (I actually have complicated feelings about guilt in other areas of life too, as I'm someone who was brought up feeling guilty about everything and does not think that was helpful. I'm not over it at all, but food isn't something I'm going to attach it to now.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Oh, do NOT get me started on Five Guys ... no seriously, if I get started I will lose all willpower and go there RIGHT NOW.

I am a burger addict.

I'm kind of over Five Guys now it's no longer new here (I never loved their fries), but my current struggle is Red Robin. I was partially raised in and my parents live in the west and I have positive memories of going to Red Robin occasionally in high school and in my 20s, and I loved it much more than McD's or the like. We never had it here, but just recently it has appeared (in a weird fast food form) including one right across the street from my office, and it's one of the few places open on Saturday and only place open on Sunday and whenever I work on the weekend I think "maybe I should see if I still like Red Robin."

Those calorie figures have prevented me so far and I have a suspicion that it won't be as good as in my memory, but it's the one major indulgence I've been thinking of recently.

Anyway, I also love burgers, but the homemade ones are usually just as good to my taste at so many fewer calories and better macros and sides, that I rarely indulge at a restaurant.
  • ailsadell
    ailsadell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't do MacD but I love KFC .... I now cheat odd days and have their salad box, don't eat the wrap, and half the fries, but simply love their Krushems .... Some days in the week my stats are so low so I don't care...
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I am a burger addict.

I'm kind of over Five Guys now it's no longer new here (I never loved their fries), but my current struggle is Red Robin. I was partially raised in and my parents live in the west and I have positive memories of going to Red Robin occasionally in high school and in my 20s, and I loved it much more than McD's or the like. We never had it here, but just recently it has appeared (in a weird fast food form) including one right across the street from my office, and it's one of the few places open on Saturday and only place open on Sunday and whenever I work on the weekend I think "maybe I should see if I still like Red Robin."

Those calorie figures have prevented me so far and I have a suspicion that it won't be as good as in my memory, but it's the one major indulgence I've been thinking of recently.

Anyway, I also love burgers, but the homemade ones are usually just as good to my taste at so many fewer calories and better macros and sides, that I rarely indulge at a restaurant.

It's funny, I never thought Five Guy's burgers were that good...something with the fat/lean ratio in their meat seems off to me, and not that well seasoned.

I do like Smashburger, and I really miss Fuddruckers, there's none out here. :(
  • lemurcat12
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have positive memories of Fuddruckers as well. It's here, but far out in the 'burbs, so haven't been in years and years. Smashburger is really convenient, but I haven't tried it yet. Oh, dear. ;-)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge Five Guys fan, either. I'm all about Steak 'n Shake.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ewwww on Steak 'n Shake.

Now, OTOH, the Shake Shack....

:drinker:
  • winram11
    winram11 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bacon ranch salad with crispy chicken, skip the dressing, ~400 calories, yum yum.
  • Jenskiski
    Jenskiski Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Pretty much never, though I used to love Filet o' Fish sandwiches. I probably haven't been to McDonalds in a year or so.

My son has Celiac Disease and it limits where we can go. Fast food became mostly a no no.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Where else would I get the twix McFlurry? I do get the snack size and mostly eat just half... They finally kind of replaced the Rolo McFlurry for me, I missed the hell out of it. They stopped doing the Caesar salad, chicken strips/selects, and also their southern style chicken sandwich or breakfast biscuit. Some of these items will occasionally reappear, but they're what I like.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Culver's is usually my jam. Awesome bacon cheeseburgers. And most know my feelings towards deep fried cheese curds and chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. Yummy. If I go to McDs I'll usually get the grilled chicken sandwich or the grilled chicken wrap.

Long John Silver's cheese curds, yup
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    McRib. Boom.