Okay...McDonald's...Yes, No, Sometimes?

Options

Replies

• limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »
    I mean, should your meat cost less than your toilet roll?? Something's wrong here!

Pricing is an economic equation, driven by things like supply, demand, and cost to produce. Items are not generally priced simply to reflect their quality, and different economic factors drive the pricing of each. Toilet paper is not influenced by the price of beef, nor hamburgers by the going rate for wood pulp.

Most items are priced to reflect their quality and the cost it takes to produce them. I'm not trying to say that that the costs of the two items are related, I am saying that it is bizarre that meat can be produced in such an industrial quantity that living creatures can be sold cheaper than common house-hold items. The way meat is produced industrially is bad for the environment and bad for our health, as people as a whole simply eat too much of it as it is so cheap.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »
    I mean, should your meat cost less than your toilet roll?? Something's wrong here!

Pricing is an economic equation, driven by things like supply, demand, and cost to produce. Items are not generally priced simply to reflect their quality, and different economic factors drive the pricing of each. Toilet paper is not influenced by the price of beef, nor hamburgers by the going rate for wood pulp.

Most items are priced to reflect their quality and the cost it takes to produce them. I'm not trying to say that that the costs of the two items are related, I am saying that it is bizarre that meat can be produced in such an industrial quantity that living creatures can be sold cheaper than common house-hold items. The way meat is produced industrially is bad for the environment and bad for our health, as people as a whole simply eat too much of it as it is so cheap.

I am a vegetarian. I get what you are saying, trust me.

But some people just need a quick lunch on the road, like my husband does. He chooses in an inexpensive chicken sandwich to tide him over to the next meal. Its not perfect or ideal food, but it works in a pinch.

Not everyone who eats fast food eats all that much meat, either. My husband eats vegetarian/vegan most days of the week, for almost all meals. His meat consumption is limited to fast food chicken sandwiches, and he has those, like 2x a week, max.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Confession....I had McDonald's tonight (1 double cheeseburger and a 4 pc. Nugget w Water)...really pretty mad at myself for it. I was just wondering how other people approach fast food.

I get restaurant food/fast food once a week. I just plan ahead and make a choice that fits my day.
    I might get a regular hamburger with a side salad instead of fries.
    Today I am getting chicken strips, an unsweetened tea and having a spinach salad from home.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The first time I lose weight I worked fast food into my weight loss. This time around... um. Just no. The thought of McDonald's makes me sick to my stomach. If I'm in a though spot and starting to feel ill from lack of food, I might grab a chicken sandwich from Wendy's but I can eat more food for the same calories by eating at home. Going out to eat is for special occasions. I do intend on going out Wednesday for a burger to celebrate loosing 10lbs. For that one meal. Then I am done until the next 10 pounds, assuming that burger is as awesome as I remember it to be, which I have found not to be the case in almost every food that I have given up. They almost never taste as good as I remember.
  • sabrinacrandall
    sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to Wendy's if I'm going to get fast food, since their salads are actually really good. But when I do go to mcdonalds, since my boyfriend actually likes their food, I tend to get the fruit and yogurt parfait. They don't have a salad I like, sadly. If I have to get something I can eat and drive, I've gotten the grillled chicken wrap before. High in sodium and preservatives, but fine in a pinch!
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Most items are priced to reflect their quality and the cost it takes to produce them. I'm not trying to say that that the costs of the two items are related, I am saying that it is bizarre that meat can be produced in such an industrial quantity that living creatures can be sold cheaper than common house-hold items.

McDonald's has built a hugely efficient supply chain, and they sell at a much higher volume than your typical six-pack of Charmin. I'm not saying McDs food is super quality, I'm saying it's false to simply say "It's cheap, so it's bad." Economics are complex.

• Shreshy
    Shreshy Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I rarely have mcds lol
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I eat McDonalds. Not as much as I used to - but I don't feel any shame when I do. It's food. I like food. It fits into my calories, so I eat it.
  • nox514
    nox514 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mc Donalds is perfectly fine as long as you don't pig out and bust your macros.

I usually get the Grilled Chicken and Bacon McWrap and a bottle of water.

Just be smart. There is no trick to it.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Only with my grand kids,,but I sure do luv them fries.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. We'll go for the kids mainly, I try to do no more than once a week preferably less. More when we're traveling or moving.
  • Kman4evah
    Kman4evah Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, it's perfectly ok to eat pretty much anything if it fits into your calories. The only problem I have with restaurants is the sodium content of 90% of the food. It's the only reason Chili's and I don't get along :D
  • Kman4evah
    Kman4evah Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I say no. Get a real burger that tastes good and good fries from a local joint instead.

I don't know, Five Guys Burgers and Fries is pretty good... :p
  • Jztime
    Jztime Posts: 138 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Salad = Always!
    Fries = Never!
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I find the food really un-satisfying and unappealing. But also - it was my knowledge of how foods are grown/produced/processed that got me to change my diet in the beginning. In other words, my weight loss began as a political choice.

But for you - if it fits in your calories go for it, I guess.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I say no. Get a real burger that tastes good and good fries from a local joint instead.

Most "local" joints are getting their beef and fries out of the back of a Sysco truck.
  • CaptBligh001
    CaptBligh001 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The problem with McDonald's or any fast food for that matter is trying to stay under my meal goals of no more than 400 calories per meal. About the only time I eat McDonald is if I can share a meal with someone else, I'll usually eat half a burger and half a small fry, If I cant share it with someone else then I'll simply throw it in the trash. The idea is not merely weight loss but retraining myself for a healthier life style and McDonald's highly processed junk food is part of the reason I got so fat and out of shape in the first place..

Now I do have 2 cheat days a week where there is no calorie budget and I can eat whatever I want. I learned early on that half the trick to weight loss was playing mental tricks on yourself. Just like a kid if you tell yourself you cant have something then you will simply obsess over it until you finally cave in. So I never tell myself I can't have something. My cheat days are Wednesday and Sunday, I simply tell myself that I have to wait for a cheat day, Well just like a kid I have a short attention span which usually means I'll forget about it come cheat day LOL!! But not always, there have been times I was out the door and down at I-hop for Pancakes before the sun was up on cheat day.

A year and a half ago I tipped the scales at nearly 300 pounds and wore a size 48 pants, My blood pressure was 160+ over 90+ my resting heart rate was in the 80's and wuld sky rocket past 100 just walking to the frig, Today I'm down over 90 pounds my son and I fit into the same 36 size pants, I'm just 1 pound shy of being under 200 for the first time in over 15 years, My blood pressure is 114/62 and my resting heart rate is 44 and I have to jog to get my heart rate above 125.

I lost all the weight by eating healthy, walking, Jogging and biking every single day. Most of it was walking every day I walk between 3 and 10 miles every day. I walk 5 miles 3 times a week 10 miles twice a week and 3 miles 2 days a week I mix in a bit of jogging in the walks and I do a 20 mile bike ride once or twice a month. The three mile walks are my recovery walks from the 10 mile hikes. The reason I mention this is that the half way point of my 5 mile and 3 mile walks is McDonald where I stop and get a cup of coffee. Stopping for coffee at McDonald's almost every morning has been a great exercise in will-power.

I'm in my late 50's and sitting there drinking my coffee in the morning I can see my reflection in the window. For the first time in 15 years my man boobies are gone and my chest is bigger then my belly and I have definition in my arms and chest, probably from the 150-200 push-ups I do daily in sets of 50. Watching all the fat people stuff their fat faces with McDonald junk is all the incentive I need not to make a habit of eating McDonald again. With that said my wife and I do occasionally split a 10 piece chicken McNugget, as the old saying goes "old habits die hard"

So to answer your question, should you feel guilty, Well that all depends on what your goals are, If you are looking for permanent weight loss then yes you should feel guilty. There is no magic bullet or pill for permanent weight loss it Permanent weight loss for most people requires a life style change which requires a lot of will-power, a life style which should be void of as much processed fast food as possible, again something easier said than done.

One more note. I've learned that when you crave something you probably do more harm deigning yourself that craving because chances are you will over compensate by eating to much trying to satisfy it.. That's what Cheat days are for, they are off the record so no guilt
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros just do it :P If it doesn't, well, do it anyway but don't make a habit out of it ^^

Last time I splurged and had a Quarter Pounder I felt sick to my stomach, there was just too much crap in it that my body sort of... rejected it :P When I've been since I've grabbed their salads, they're.... not the greatest, but if you eat with a group of friends who wants to go there I guess it's okay :)