Grocery list HELP

Options

Replies

• NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    This was my shopping list from yesterday.
    Milk
    Bannanas
    Apples
    Orange
    Peaches
    Lettuce
    Cucumber
    Celery - 2 bags of it
    Organic crunchy Peanut butter
    Endangered species dark chocolate bar with seasalt and lime
    Roast beef - 6 slices from the deli
    Oven roasted turkey - 6 slices from the deli
    Ezekial - Sesame bread
    Frozen Mango chunks (no added anything)
    1.5 lbs of grapes
    Black Olives
    Olive Oil
    Coleslaw 1/4 lb (premade at the deli section)
    2 Avacados
    Dried Cranberries & Chocolate chips - I'm making cookies for a saturday night meeting and these are in them. I'll limit myself to two cookies that I actually eat.
    Puffed rice cereal
    A big bag of almonds
    One package of provolone cheese
    Eggs

I already have in my home.
    Unsalted butter
    Mustard/Mayo
    Dressing
    Pickles
    Assorted frozen meats/beef/chicken/bison/fish
    Frozen pineapple/cherries/raspberries
    Juice bars
    Flours - assorted kinds almond/rice/wheat
    White sugar for baking - i hate the way it tastes plain
    Brown sugar
    Brown Rice/lentils/garbanzo beans/black beans/split peas/white beans
    2 cans of precooked beans
    Maple Syrup
    Honey
    Canned carrots
    Egg noodles
    Tuna cans
    Pumpkin seeds
    assorted teas
    garlic
    fresh ginger
    half a sweet Valida onion
    one package of unsweetened cocoa
    Spirutein coconut drink mix
    Sunflower seeds
    Buckwheat pancake mix
    Seasoned breadcrumbs
    One can of soup - corn chowder
    Oatmeal - steel cut redmills
    Oatmeal - quick cook oats generic brand
    Cherry jam
    Activia Yogurts - 4
    One package of mac & cheese
    One frozen oatmeal bread - generic save it for when the daughter stops by and wants a sandwich
    herbs/spices/kosher salt/pepper/baking soda/baking powder
    other assorted little odds and ends

• kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Slimfast - processed
    Canned Chicken - processed
    Wheat Bread - processed
    Eggs
    Bacon - semi processed
    Soups - processed
    Dole Fruit cups - semi processed
    Protein Bars - processed
    Water
    Water Enhancers - processed
    Salads - semi processed
    Wish-Bone Salad Spritzer in Italian Vinaigrette - processed
    Whole wheat wraps - processed
    Turkey - You probably meant sliced deli style, so processed
    Brown Rice
    Weight watchers meal - processed

There's one suggestion I'm going to make that will change SO MUCH about your health as well as weight.

Eat fewer things with labels. Eat more whole foods. Eat tacos and pizzas if you want, but make them yourself from flour and ground beef and fresh spices and herbs you find in the produce section. Instead of fruit cups, eat a peach. Instead of water enhancers, buy a lemon and squeeze some of it into your water. You hardly have to give up anything you like, you just will experience a greater sense of self and health and connection to your body. Buy vinegar, oil and herbs and make your own dressing.

It sounds overwhelming, so I'm not saying do it all at once. I'm just suggesting look at the labels. Prefer things without labels. If it has a label, try to buy things like bread that say things like "contains: 100% whole grain wheat, salt, yeast" instead of:
    "Wheat Flour Enriched ( Flour , Barley Malt , Ferrous Sulfate [ Iron ] , Vitamin B [ Niacin Vitamin B3 , Thiamine Mononitrate Vitamin B1 { Thiamin Vitamin B1 } , Riboflavin Vitamin B2 { Riboflavin Vitamin B2 } , Folic Acid Vitamin B9 ] ) , Water , Corn Syrup High Fructose , Contains 22% or less , Wheat Gluten , Salt , Soybeans Oil , Yeast , Calcium Sulphate , Vinegar , Monoglyceride , Dough Conditioners ( Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate , Calcium Dioxide ) , Soy Flour , Diammonium Phosphate , Dicalcium Phosphate , Monocalcium Phosphate , Yeast Nutrients ( Ammonium Sulfate ) , Calcium Propionate , To Retain Freshness"

Less processed has nothing to do with weight loss, because weight loss is calories in/calories out. Sure, sometimes it helps to save on calories by eating something whole rather than processed, but a person can still whatever they want and still lose weight.

So, your suggestions might enhance nutrition, but a person can lose weight on the poorest nutrition out there and gain weight on the best.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks Rebbylicious. Its unbelieveable the help im getting now then what I did a year ago. Everyone gave me a list and told me to buy just that. Stay away from pizza and cake and tacos. Because you wont lose weight eating pizza or chocolate. Stay away from it. Now people are telling me to eat it.

I saved up my calories so I could have pizza and wings last night. That's not something I do every week because of the sodium, but it's what I'd been wanting & it will satisfy my craving for a while. This morning I had protein waffles with turkey bacon.

You've got this!!!! This is a different way of thinking, but it's so simple.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Hey all. Sorry it took me a few days to reply. When I started my diet a year ago nobody said just eat what you like in smaller portions. Everyone said eat no meat but chicken. Eat veggies and fruits, Eat wheat bread instead of regular bread, no sugar, high protein low fat and carb diets. Then a year later I ask for advice and everyone says eat the things you like just in smaller portions.

I am the pickiest eater you will find. Go out to resturants I order chicken tenders and fries. Order a pizza I get just cheese everytime. I do not like veggies or fruit. I do not like wheat bread. I do not like yogurt. Im just picky in general.

What my diet usually looks like

Breakfast- Cereal, Toast with butter and cinnamon, French Toast and bacon, Waffles, Pancakes with bacon. With a glass of 1% milk

Lunch- Mozzorella cheese sticks with marinara sauce, Steak and cheese hot pockets with ranch, PB and J, Popcorn chicken with ranch on a tortilla

Dinner- Hamburger helper with mash potatoes and cresecent rolls, Few slices of digorno pizza with ranch, Meat, Mash Potatoes, buttered noodles, and crescent rolls.

Were not a healthy eating family. I have a addiction to Pepsi and have had one for 9 years. I also have hypothyroidsm so I know it doesnt help with weight loss either. Im wanting to lose 50lbs by next summer.

Sorry this is so long, but here goes:

You could still lose weight on the daily foods you've listed, but you'd have to cut portions WAY down, so I'm thinking you'd likely feel too hungry to succeed. That's because a lot of the foods you list as your regular choices are tasty but not truly filling, yet also have high calories - they're great at the moment you are eating them, but you are gonna be hungry again fairly soon. That's why a lot of us learned to include foods that are satiating (keep you feeling full) and have lots of nutrients that keep energy levels up. That makes it easier to stay motivated than feeling listless/bloated because of limiting your diet to foods that don't truly feed your body.

It's fine to be 'picky', but if you know that about yourself, does your determination to lose weight mean that you are willing to research and experiment in order to find foods you enjoy that also support your weight loss? I can tell you right now that just trying to rely on Slimfast, Weight Watchers meals, and fruit cups is not going to be very tasty or satisfying in the long run.

Look, I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing. A lot of us here have come from a starting point not so different from yours. I'm just saying that if you really want this change (and it is SO TOTALLY WORTH IT), you'll need to spend some time exploring new ways of buying and preparing food.

I thought I didn't like apples. Turns out I wasn't aware of the different flavors in various TYPES of apples, so I found a couple of varieties that I love - they're sweet and high in fiber so they are super-filling. And throwing apple slices in the microwave with some Stevia and cinnamon? Then topping with a couple of tablespoons of vanilla yogurt? YUM. Applesauce with cinnamon and a low-fat cheese stick turned into a great snack.

I couldn't imagine life without tortilla chips and nacho cheese dip. Now the nachos dip I used to get tastes too greasy. So I make guacamole or fresh salsa instead, and it's not hard to fit chips/dip in as a treat. I also have ice cream a couple times a week, and my weight loss has been very steady. It's not about 'never again' for favorite foods. It's about changing either portions, or recipes, or both.

So your being 'picky' just means you need to do more research and trying stuff out, that's all. Finally, go ahead and take baby steps. Yes, it's true many of us here see nothing appetizing in fruit cups or a Weight Watchers frozen meal, but if you find some that you like and you will eat them instead of your potatoes/buttered noodles/crescent rolls, then GO FOR IT. My work schedule gets intense sometimes, and I absolutely will just make a quick spinach salad and throw a Lean Cuisine in the microwave on occasion. Just be aware those things are crazy high in sodium - so much so that when I have one, I usually temporarily GAIN water weight.

Just be open to checking out the recipes section here or on skinnytaste.com. Skinnytaste is fantastic - I just saw a cheeseburger casserole there that you might like, for example.

Hang in there, please. It's so worth it.

Exactly what Caitwn said.

One of the things I have learned about me (so this may or may not apply to you) was that I couldn't give up the foods I enjoyed, and that my kids eat regularly because they are skin and bones. So I learned how to have a little of what they eat, and supplement it with foods that are less calorie dense (like fresh fruits & veggies) so I feel satiated. Even so, for me 1200 calories was not enough to let me feel full. I could sustain it for a few weeks, then I'd crash and eat everything I had 'deprived' myself of. Especially when PMS hit. What helped tremendously was finding a way to burn calories that I could incorporate into my everyday life. Even an extra 200 calories was the difference between make it or break it for me some days. Most days I burn 300-500 calories, but I range anywhere from 0-1000. I lost 45 pounds in just under a year, and have maintained so far for 6 months.

Think long term about changes you can live with for the rest of your life.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I start my diet in 2 more days. Heres my grocery list. Anybody have any ideas as to what else I should add.

Slimfast- This is a waste of your money
    Canned Chicken- I don't eat any meat or fish from a can. I would buy fresh meat
    Wheat Bread
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Soups- High sodium. Make your own
    Dole Fruit cups- High in sugar from the syrup. Buy fresh fruit
    Protein Bars- Can be high in calories, sugar, fat, and sodium so look at the nutrition label
    Water
    Water Enhancers- No clue what this does for you
    Salads
    Wish-Bone Salad Spritzer in Italian Vinaigrette
    Whole wheat wraps
    Turkey
    Brown Rice
    Weight watchers meal- Highly processed, high in sodium, and overall not a lot of food for the calories

I would add vegetables that are in season like squash, cucumbers, broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.

I would also add cheese, Greek yogurt, and cottage cheese; if you can tolerate dairy.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Sorry it took me a few days to reply. When I started my diet a year ago nobody said just eat what you like in smaller portions. Everyone said eat no meat but chicken. Eat veggies and fruits, Eat wheat bread instead of regular bread, no sugar, high protein low fat and carb diets. Then a year later I ask for advice and everyone says eat the things you like just in smaller portions.

I am the pickiest eater you will find. Go out to resturants I order chicken tenders and fries. Order a pizza I get just cheese everytime. I do not like veggies or fruit. I do not like wheat bread. I do not like yogurt. Im just picky in general.

Breakfast- Cereal, Toast with butter and cinnamon, French Toast and bacon, Waffles, Pancakes with bacon. With a glass of 1% milk

Lunch- Mozzorella cheese sticks with marinara sauce, Steak and cheese hot pockets with ranch, PB and J, Popcorn chicken with ranch on a tortilla

Dinner- Hamburger helper with mash potatoes and cresecent rolls, Few slices of digorno pizza with ranch, Meat, Mash Potatoes, buttered noodles, and crescent rolls.

Were not a healthy eating family. I have a addiction to Pepsi and have had one for 9 years. I also have hypothyroidsm so I know it doesnt help with weight loss either. Im wanting to lose 50lbs by next summer.

With a diet like that, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with cardiovascular disease, high cholesterol, high BP, and vitamin deficiencies. That might sound rude but your diet is very energy and calorie dense but not nutrient dense.

Your diet lacks fruits and veggies. To be frank, it doesn't matter whether you like fruits or veggies. You're an adult and need to make them a part of your diet.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    G33K_G1RL wrote: »
    This is something that worked for me.

Because of a very carb based diet, the gut microbiometends to become unhealthy with not enough variety. To fix that, my coach suggested sauerkraut (not cooked and not pasteurized) and milk kefir (unflavored, add fruits, honey or maple syrup to sweetened, that way you control the sugar). It adds good bacteria to your biome. It helped me deal with cravings and need less food to be satisfied, especially when it comes to sweets. I felt the effects 3-4 weeks after starting to eat them everyday and I am still eating them everyday.

It's up to you, but remember not to change too many things at once, or you'll feel overwhelmed. I took 3 weeks to transition into my new meal plan and 6 months later I'm still making adjustments.

How do you know if your biome is unhealthy?

The easy answer is you don't really know until you have a healthier one...

There is a lot of variation from person to person, and microbiome research is still in early stages. But what has been observed is that microbiome can change within a week with a diet change. And there has been experiments with rats where they gave an obese rat the microbiome of a healthy rat and the obese rat started losing weight. So there is something there but exact quantified impacts are still a few years in the future.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2894525/

What I have noticed in my personal before (carb based diet) and after (protein based diet with probiotics) :
    - Energy levels steady throughout the day
    - Better digestion, and I rarely get digestion pains
    - (TMI WARNING) More regular, both in time and consistency
    - Fewer sugar cravings and no binging - I can't eat more than half a chocolate bar, my stomach just says enough and the rest of the bar just isn't appealing

I suggested it to OP because it is a risk free trial. Sauerkraut and kefir and other fermented foods have been eaten by humans for centuries. And, fun fact, kefir comes from "keif" in Turkish, which means "feeling good" :)
  • violetsarefeckingpurple
    Options
    I would get some frozen veggies for when you're too busy to cook, a week's worth of fresh fruit, and plain rice cakes for snacking. :smiley: As most have pointed out, food type isn't going to make or break your diet, but some healthier snack choices will probably make a difference. Good luck!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

With a diet like that, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with cardiovascular disease, high cholesterol, high BP, and vitamin deficiencies. That might sound rude but your diet is very energy and calorie dense but not nutrient dense.

Your diet lacks fruits and veggies. To be frank, it doesn't matter whether you like fruits or veggies. You're an adult and need to make them a part of your diet.

I agree with you on the fruits and veggies. ETA: (That she needs to eat more)

I am not a big veggie eater and I have completely reverse my heart disease!!.....and just to add at my highest weight I never had high cholesterol or high BP.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So, your suggestions might enhance nutrition, but a person can lose weight on the poorest nutrition out there and gain weight on the best.

I 100% agree with you, which is why most of my post was about how much more of a connection she'd have with her body. It's more of a holistic approach based on her posts that she doesn't know this and that. I'm suggesting making some conscious decisions for a while instead of listening to pop culture. She has a brain, and she can use it to read labels. Once she does that? eating fewer calories is a lot easier.

I'd like to reiterate I agree 100% that you can lose on processed food and gain on whole foods. Also a quick glance at my diary will make it very obvious I eat plenty of processed foods.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I usually buy:
    • Frozen spinach
    • Frozen kale
    • Frozen brocoli
    • Frozen cauliflower
    • Trader joe's frozen mashed potato pieces
    • Trader joe's frozen "very cherry" blend (tart cherries, blueberries, raspberries, black berries)
    • Frozen bean & carrot blend
    • Trader joe's breaded chicken tenders
    • Frozen tilapia/mahi mahi/shrimp
    • Frozen morning star farms chipotle black bean burgers
    • Garlic olive oil
    • Smart Balance with flax
    • Kraft 100% grated parmesan cheese
    • Red lentil pasta
    • Quinoa
    • Amaranth
    • No added sodium black beans
    • No sodium added tuna in water
    • Prego organic tomato basil sauce
    • Avacados
    • Hummus
    • Light string cheese sticks
    • Almond butter
    • Peanut butter
    • Dark Chocolate (sugar free)
    • Unsweetened soy milk
    • Grapefruit juice
    • Pineapple juice
    • Protein powders
    • Quest bars
    • MHP protein pudding

I'm not the best cook. I use the microwave a lot. Especially for my work food. :blush:
  • laurenhx21
    laurenhx21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit&veg, sweet potatoes, fat free yog, almond milk/yog 10cal pots of jelly, quorn mince l, avocados, as a few suggestions:)
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I 100% agree with you, which is why most of my post was about how much more of a connection she'd have with her body. It's more of a holistic approach based on her posts that she doesn't know this and that. I'm suggesting making some conscious decisions for a while instead of listening to pop culture. She has a brain, and she can use it to read labels. Once she does that? eating fewer calories is a lot easier.

I'd like to reiterate I agree 100% that you can lose on processed food and gain on whole foods. Also a quick glance at my diary will make it very obvious I eat plenty of processed foods.

Thank you for the clarification. While good nutrition is not necessary to weight loss, I do believe it helps keep us motivated to continue on our weight loss journey. When our nutritional needs are met, we usually have more energy, feel more motivated to move more, etc. I eat some processed foods but not a whole lot because I enjoy making my own bread, peanut butter, deserts, etc.
  • CanadianDaddyphant
    CanadianDaddyphant Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I am totally with you - it's hard to change habits, especially if your family isn't with you. But yeah, eat what you like but just eat smaller portions and make better choices. I see a lot of fast, convenience foods. Do you like to cook? Do you have time on the weekends to make up a batch of something? Making things from scratch like pizza, breaded chicken, even hot-pocket-like meat pies can really cut down on the sodium and calories.

Hamburger helper - which I loooove and haven't had in years because it's nothing but salt - can be done with a homemade cheese sauce and noodles.

Noodles - you can make sure you just have one serving of noodles (by weight). Switch to marg or lower-calorie butter, and use a little bit less. Don't try to quit or start anything cold turkey. Make one or two small changes (ie drink diet soda instead of regular, and have a salad with your regular dinner) and stick to those changes for a week before trying to change more stuff.

With stuff like snacks and ranch dressing, portioning is your friend. If you have a bag of chips, you're going to eat the bag of chips. If you have a bowl measured out to 50g of chips, you're going to have that bowl.

Yes. Weight loss is eat less than you burn. But food is wonderful and I love it, and I like eating, so I'm going to make the best choices I can to still eat a lot and stay within calorie goals. Quinoa? A third the calories and carbs of rice - still makes damn tasty sushi or burritos.

The internet is your friend. You can find healthy, simple versions of your favourite convenience meals everywhere online. Just start googling and reading and comparing.

Creeping on your profile, you might want to consider adjusting your weight loss goals to .5lb/week to start with - start with a larger amount of calories and work down as you get used to new habits. Because this isn't a diet. This is a new lifestyle. New habits, new daily habits.
  • WBB55
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I eat some processed foods but not a whole lot because I enjoy making my own bread, peanut butter, deserts, etc.
    OMG send me some of your homemade peanut butter! :)

• SLLRunner
    Options
    I eat some processed foods but not a whole lot because I enjoy making my own bread, peanut butter, deserts, etc.

It's soooo easy to make. Get the type of peanuts you like and put it in the food processor. Let it run for about five minutes and you've got peanut butter. Almond butter is more difficult to make, though. I think you have to let it the processor run longer.
  • WBB55
    Options

It's soooo easy to make. Get the type of peanuts you like and put it in the food processor. Let it run for about five minutes and you've got peanut butter. Almond butter is more difficult to make, though. I think you have to let it the processor run longer.
    No soaking or anything?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

No soaking or anything?
    I never do, but I used the salted and roasted peanuts. I guess you might have to soak if you use the raw peanuts.
  • WBB55
    Options

No soaking or anything?
    I never do, but I used the salted and roasted peanuts. I guess you might have to soak if you use the raw peanuts.
    [*adds peanuts to grocery list*]