Grocery list HELP

Options
12346»

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    OK, I'n not picky, but my daughters are.....

Breakfast- Cereal, Toast with butter and cinnamon, French Toast and bacon, Waffles, Pancakes with bacon. With a glass of 1% milk
    For breakfast, cut down on the carbs, and add protein. Don't have cereal and toast, have cereal with a protein shake (COSTCO has yummy ones) or toast with eggs. French toast and bacon is OK for a weekend breakfast, but a little high in calories for me. If you like a big breakfast, go for it! Pancakes is high in calories and don't last that long - have scrambled eggs, bacon and one pancake....

Lunch- Mozzorella cheese sticks with marinara sauce, Steak and cheese hot pockets with ranch, PB and J, Popcorn chicken with ranch on a tortilla
    Cheese sticks is just fat, marinara sauce has a lot of sugar, and the protein in the cheese is not enough to fill you up - so add meat. Hot pockets is junk meat, with plastic cheese and a lot of preservatives - try a minute steak, fried in a bit of coconut oil with salad or veggies.... Drop the popcorn coating and just have a wholeweat tortilla and grilled chicken breast, with a little bit of ranch and lots of salad.....

Dinner- Hamburger helper with mash potatoes and cresecent rolls, Few slices of digorno pizza with ranch, Meat, Mash Potatoes, buttered noodles, and crescent rolls.
    You don't need pasta and mash and rolls in the same meal....Use real ground beef/chicken or turkey, pasta and add veggies or a fruit. Same for pizza and ranch -
    eat a couple (as in two) slices of a yummy medium pizza and add a salad.... Again, you don't need noodles and mash and rolls in the same meal. Swop two of those for a serving or two of grilled veggies....

Drink diet pepsi instead...... Eating like this will make it extremely hard to stick to your calories, as all the buttery carby things are high in calories and low in nutrition and wont keep you full..... Good luck!

Were not a healthy eating family. I have a addiction to Pepsi and have had one for 9 years. I also have hypothyroidsm so I know it doesnt help with weight loss either. Im wanting to lose 50lbs by next summer.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you mentioned you don't like vegetables. have you tried different ways to cook them? i never thought i'd like cooked veggies, but sauteed with some olive oil and lots of garlic, and it is amazing!
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Im gonna start eating salads for dinner with some vinegerette. Im going strictly to water. And smaller portions. I hope with this ill lose the weight.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Im gonna start eating salads for dinner with some vinegerette. Im going strictly to water. And smaller portions. I hope with this ill lose the weight.

weighing ALL your food on a food scale and logging it
    Eating less than you burn makes you lose weight..not the kind of food.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Why hope? If you weigh your foods and count the calories, you can be certain you're eating under your calorie goal.

Do you not want to count calories? It's ok to admit this.

• rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    In Reply to not being able to eat normal foods - I earn normal foods by burning calories. You can turn a 1200 calorie diet into a 1600 calorie diet if you are willing to burn an extra 400. ;) and still remain at the deficit of the 1200 calorie diet. And the tacos and pizza I refer to are home made, that tastes best and you can control the ingredients that goes into it. I like to substitute unsweetened Greek yogurt instead of the sour cream- low cal and lots of protien and good bacteria for the stomach.
  • ediewharton
    ediewharton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    FWIW: my kids and husband are not really interested in the foods that I like to eat or healthy food in general lol. I tend to make myself large portions of what I like and then freeze it in portions. That way I have on hand what I like and then make the stuff that they like so I am not cooking a whole bunch of stuff at once. This is not only helpful with trying to keep yourself on track but also for feeding a family of picky eaters.
    Also, I will eat super healthy and "clean" all day and then maybe not as well for dinner (while keeping within my projected calorie range).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Buy whatever it is you like and will actually eat. No point in buying something just for the sake of buying it if it's not going to be eaten.

As for some of the people talking about fruit cups, i like these! They are only 40 cals, and aint nobody got time for segmenting oranges all the time. Although, these are the things i'd add just because i like to eat them...

Fage greek yogurt cups
    Clementines
    Pink Lady or Honeycrisp Apples
    Bananas
    Flat Out Wraps
    Baby Carrots
    Hummus (sabra spicy is my fave)
    Cucumber (to be sliced)
    Quest Bars
    Annie Chun's Udon Noodle Soup (low sodium)

For these items i like the following better:
    Slimfast---> I prefer the muscle milk light 100 cal ready to drink
    Soups----> I really like the Dr. Mcdougal's Tortilla soup, or i prefer to make my own spicy vegetable
    Dole Fruit cups----> I like the Mandarin Oranges packed in WATER (40 cals)
    Protein Bars----> Quest Bars or Mint Chocolate Cliff Bars
    Water Enhancers----> I like the Crystal Light Peach Tea
    Salads----> You mean like spring mix or some heads of Romaine?
    Whole wheat wraps----> I like the flat out wraps
    Weight watchers meal----> I haven't found anything i like by them. My preference is Lean Cuisine or Amy's

All in all, find what works for you!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Things I have on hand at all times:

Greek yogurt (plain and flavored)
    Eggs
    Cereal (Honey Nut Cheerios, Life, and granola)
    Bananas
    Quest bars (most grocery stores don't carry them, though)
    Frozen fruit for yogurt
    Apples/grapes
    Cheese (string cheese makes an excellent snack)
    Tomatoes
    Broccoli
    Salad mixes (usually baby romaine/spinach)
    Yogurt dressings (lower in calories)
    Peanut butter (and assorted bread products to put it on)
    Ground turkey/turkey sausage
    Grilled chicken strips/frozen shrimp/tuna for salads
    Low carb whole wheat wraps (only for the calorie count...80-100)
    Desserts! (ice cream, gelato, pudding, graham crackers and flavored cream cheese, chocolate...)
    Water enhancers/sparkling water (I get sick of plain water from time to time)

Today I bought two new things to try: dried cherries and hummus
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    We went and got some groceries. Bout some salad kits, some vinegerette, Some fruit cups, bottled waters, water enhancers and steamer veggies to have for dinner, eggs and bacon and string cheese.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    When you make the salad kits, only use half the dressing they give, or add more lettuce and baby spinach - nobody needs that much dressing....
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Regarding water enhancers:

I just finished some white-wine poached pears for dessert at a July 4 bbq. I had the peelings of six pears left over, and found this nice use for them:

frugalandthankful.blogspot.com/2013/08/what-did-i-do-with-those-pear-peels.html

I adapted it just a little: dumped all the peelings, half a cup of sugar, peelings and juice of half a lemon, and my little mix of equal parts ground ginger and ground cinnamon. Covered it with lots of water. Stirred. Brought to a rolling boil, let simmer for about 10 minutes. I'm now waiting for it to cool down so I can strain and pour it into a container. When it's all ready, I'll park it in the refrigerator, where I can mix a bit of it with water for drinking, use it as an enhancer for sauces or dressings, maybe freeze some and see where that takes it.

Hope this is useful (and fun!) for you.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    About being a picky eater: try new things. Try things you don't think you'll like. You might be surprised. Our tastes change.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    More advice for a picky eater: nearly every vegetable you've ever heard of or seen in the store is DELICIOUS if you (1) buy it fresh (2) Dice it in 1-inch cubes and toss it with oil, salt and pepper (3) roast it in the oven for an appropriate amount of time (google it). Brussel sprouts, turnips, rutabaga, carrots, beets, parsnips, sweet potatoes, onion, red peppers, eggplant, zucchini, squash... I had no idea I liked vegetables until I started to cook them. Turns out my mother was a horrendous cook and only bought things like canned carrots. Turns out I like broccoli if you don't boil it to death.
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has said this but before I go shopping I tend to plan my meals for the week and from there I create a shopping list. This just works on so many different levels and most definitely helps as far as eating the "right" foods.
    I would advise going on Skinnytaste as well as Pinterest (search for clean eating, for instance) and see what looks good to you. Take a look at the calories and other nutritional information. MFP is really good at showing you where you need to cut back (for me, too carb dependent) and where you need to amp it up (for me, protein).

I can't say enough about this. Not only has weekly meal planning helped me tremendously in terms of calorie counting, but I've saved a small fortune because nothing is going to waste. If I've bought it, it's because it has a place in the week somewhere! The first few weeks might seem a bit tedious, but once you nail down some things that you know you like and will use in more heavy rotation, it gets much easier. I also do online grocery shopping, and I find the "shop from previous orders" feature really helps keep me on track and not add things to my cart, willy-nilly!

Skinnytaste is a favorite of mine as well, and Foodily is another handy one, as you can enter some ingredients you already have on hand and it will give you ideas on recipes you can make using those exact things. You can also specify things like "without meat" or other dietary restrictions or preferences. The user interface can be slightly confusing sometimes, but once you get the hang of it, it's awesome.

To the OP, to echo what others have said, don't get hung up too much on WHAT you're eating - just pay attention to how much of it. If you find that you are using up your calories too early in the day or not being able to have enough of what you like, so you're still feeling hungry, the best and easiest way to combat that is to move more! As someone else said a bit further up, you can turn a 1200 calorie day into a 1600 calorie day (while keeping the same deficit) by being active! And it doesn't have to be structured "exercise" if the idea of that makes you think "Aww, hell no." Walking, dancing, taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Every bit helps!!
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Im focusing more on how much I eat not what I eat. This morning om having egg whites and whole wheat toast. Lunch a heart healthy soup and a salad, snack apples, and dinner I wont be sure of until my fiance gets home. Ive already opened my first water this morning.
  • Healthexp693
    Healthexp693 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Slimfast gross
    Canned Chicken
    wth? gross
    Wheat Bread
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Soups
    Dole Fruit cups sugar and more sugar
    Protein Bars eat meat, beans, legumes, peanut butter
    Water
    Water Enhancers or use fresh fruit to flavor water
    Salads
    Wish-Bone Salad Spritzer in Italian Vinaigrette
    Whole wheat wraps
    Turkey
    Brown Rice
    Weight watchers meal gross and waste of money

buy real food. eat less. move more.

Yes yes and yes!!!
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Im focusing more on how much I eat not what I eat. This morning om having egg whites and whole wheat toast. Lunch a heart healthy soup and a salad, snack apples, and dinner I wont be sure of until my fiance gets home. Ive already opened my first water this morning.

Keep up the good work!