If I eat an ice-cream everyday, but stay under the calorie limit, will it still work?

Options

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    The thing that bothers me most about threads like this is how it influences newbies.
    Most of us have, "been there, done that", myself included. Thought people actually were right about this, and it simply does not work for many of us.

If there is one single piece of advice I would give to all new members, it is MODERATION IN ALL FOODS/DRINKS, and stay within your calorie budget.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    culver531 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    i actually had someone on here personally msg me about my comments calling me a troll. Everyone should be allowed an opinion and the other party allowed to rebut their opinion, but lets be nice here.
    It's hard to rebut an opinion. That's why everyone keeps asking you for evidence to support what you're saying. If your support is "that's just my opinion" or "common sense," that's fine, I suppose, but those are rather unpersuasive justifications as compared to using actual science.

Evidence, I just guess I go off of what I believe and that is eating healthy is good...I mean I have seen studies on how your body doesnt process sugar well when in high quantities and rises your insulin turning it into fat. I just thought that was the case. I must be wrong and you are ALL right :smile:

Yep, we are. Still waiting to hear about which toxins you speak of.

And let's just be super duper clear. If you are eating at a caloric deficit, no matter what the makeup of your food is, your body will not permanently store calories as fat. That's the crux of how any and all weight loss programs work. If you eat a lot of sugar then your body may temporarily convert the sugar to fat, but if you are eating in a deficit...it'll need to use that fat storage to run your body. It's a simple equation that you keep wanting to make complicated.

I also think it's sad that your head decides that ice cream is not healthy. Of course you already said that is mainly because you lack the skill of portion control. However that doesn't make it inherently unhealthy. I wonder how sad your food log must be.

I like my food log lol I enjoy a lot of blueberries and grapefruit actually lol. The toxins I'm thinking of uhhhh lets see palm oil, soybeanoil, all the dyes especially yellow. This is just a few, I never said no to icecream lol just not everyday. Equation? why not just eat healthy isnt that easier than trying to make food fun or make you happy.

Do you know what the word "toxin" means?
    +1
    do i know what toxin means? Well for myself its anything not natural in food. The long term effect on most ingredients havent been shown yet but you will be warned about caramel coloring and yellow dyes causing cancer. Is that not toxic?

I thought red food dye was the toxic one. Dangnabit I can't keep up with what's going to kill me anymore.

seriously? Kraft was banned from using yellow dye because it is cancer causing, also if you have kids have you not noticed them bouncing off the walls after eating food colored cereals etc. this is just my experience so if asked by someone I would say stay away from food coloring if you can. Thats all I'm saying.

i'm going to add "banned" to the list of words that you seem to have your own personal definition for

eta: let's go ahead and add "cancer causing" to the list as well
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    i actually had someone on here personally msg me about my comments calling me a troll. Everyone should be allowed an opinion and the other party allowed to rebut their opinion, but lets be nice here.
    It's hard to rebut an opinion. That's why everyone keeps asking you for evidence to support what you're saying. If your support is "that's just my opinion" or "common sense," that's fine, I suppose, but those are rather unpersuasive justifications as compared to using actual science.

Evidence, I just guess I go off of what I believe and that is eating healthy is good...I mean I have seen studies on how your body doesnt process sugar well when in high quantities and rises your insulin turning it into fat. I just thought that was the case. I must be wrong and you are ALL right :smile:

And let's just be super duper clear. If you are eating at a caloric deficit, no matter what the makeup of your food is, your body will not permanently store calories as fat. That's the crux of how any and all weight loss programs work. If you eat a lot of sugar then your body may temporarily convert the sugar to fat, but if you are eating in a deficit...it'll need to use that fat storage to run your body. It's a simple equation that you keep wanting to make complicated.

I also think it's sad that your head decides that ice cream is not healthy. Of course you already said that is mainly because you lack the skill of portion control. However that doesn't make it inherently unhealthy. I wonder how sad your food log must be.

I like my food log lol I enjoy a lot of blueberries and grapefruit actually lol. The toxins I'm thinking of uhhhh lets see palm oil, soybeanoil, all the dyes especially yellow. This is just a few, I never said no to icecream lol just not everyday. Equation? why not just eat healthy isnt that easier than trying to make food fun or make you happy.

+1
    do i know what toxin means? Well for myself its anything not natural in food. The long term effect on most ingredients havent been shown yet but you will be warned about caramel coloring and yellow dyes causing cancer. Is that not toxic?

I thought red food dye was the toxic one. Dangnabit I can't keep up with what's going to kill me anymore.

seriously? Kraft was banned from using yellow dye because it is cancer causing, also if you have kids have you not noticed them bouncing off the walls after eating food colored cereals etc. this is just my experience so if asked by someone I would say stay away from food coloring if you can. Thats all I'm saying.

Nope. Never happened.

My kid must be a medical marvel! Alert the media!!

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

+1

It would behoove you to stop presenting your opinions as facts. You're just digging yourself deeper here.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/kraft-agrees-yellow-dye-mac-cheese/story?id=20745315

Do you actually read the stuff you post?

Kraft was not banned from using yellow dye. They chose to stop using it. And all the claims about the health risks of said dye are the opinions of two food bloggers.

Does the food babe have to have her hand up your bum to help you spew this junk, or did you memorize it all on your own?
  • ElizabethBlaser1
    ElizabethBlaser1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Technically, Yes. You will lose weight if you are at a calorie deficit. If you stick to the macronutrient ratios that work for you (protein/fat/carbs) you should be ok. A carb is still a carb whether it is coming from ice cream or brown rice. There is a reason bodybuilders and people looking to get cut eat mostly what are considered 'health foods'.
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    Here is another one for you all to attack me about, I believe the less crap food we buy the better because we should be peace loving tree hugging people, live off the earth MAN! :wink:

So, you're saying yes to the hemlock then?

• esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ataysrht wrote: »
    The title is just a tiny example. The question I am trying to ask is; if I eat an unhealty food or something which has lots of calories (such as an ice cream, chocolate, pizza etc.) but still stay under the calorie limit, will this diet/lifestyle still work? I am confused because of all these blog posts and videos saying "Why calorie counting does not work" all over the internet.

Thanks, everyone, for helping this newbie. Have a nice day, ladies and gentlemen.

It will work but you probably won't feel very good. One of the wonderful things about journaling your food is it gives you the opportunity to look at how you really eat and revamp your diet. Adding healthy foods to your daily intake (lots of fruits and veggies) will make you feel great and will help keep you full, so should you choose to indulge in pizza and ice cream you will be able to control your orations more easily. Take note of how you feel on the days when you eat unhealthy foods (or that night, or even the day after). You may find that you have more stomach discomforts, headaches, and less energy than on the days that you eat well. Sometimes just noticing these body and mind responses is enough to make one pause before making an unhealthy choice. I feel much, much better (and lose more quickly) if I am avoiding those simple carbs (white flour, sugar).
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

+1

It would behoove you to stop presenting your opinions as facts. You're just digging yourself deeper here.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/kraft-agrees-yellow-dye-mac-cheese/story?id=20745315

That doesn't say Kraft was banned from using yellow dye (at least in the U.S.), it says they voluntarily changed the recipe. There's a difference.

Shhh. That seems like a fact you were stating there.

Does that mean I don't get ice cream tonight? :'(
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Technically, Yes. You will lose weight if you are at a calorie deficit. If you stick to the macronutrient ratios that work for you (protein/fat/carbs) you should be ok. A carb is still a carb whether it is coming from ice cream or brown rice. There is a reason bodybuilders and people looking to get cut eat mostly what are considered 'health foods'.
    What's the reason? I mean, other than avoiding carbs because of the water retention.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream once a week.... Am I safe?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

+1

i'm going to add "banned" to the list of words that you seem to have your own personal definition for

It's like the guy who tried to redefine what a hippie was all over again.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

+1

hippie.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »

I was gonna stay out of here but omg. You're suggesting that food can't be fun and healthy and/or make me happy and be healthy?

So somehow my chunky potato soup - which consists of a variety of fresh vegetables, some plain greek yogurt and a diced chicken breast - is bad for me because it makes me happy?

I just.

beeker-what-is-this-i-dont-even.gif

I have treats almost every single day. I can easily run 4-6 miles. I'm in great health.

If what you're doing works for you, kudos. But insisting it's the right way for everyone is absolute rubbish.

~Lyssa

Whenever someone suggests food shouldn't be fun and only be seen as fuel, my inner cook cries.
    I made some awesome curry just yesterday. It's so good I smile after the first bite.

I don't cook half as much as I would really like to but I have vowed to never just eat something for the sake of eating it, healthy or no. It damn well better be yummy if I'm spending calories on it!

~Lyssa

I'm interested in this chunky potato soup recipe. I'd vegetarianize it. You had me at "potato" and "Greek yogurt".

Happy to oblige...

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/potato-soup-recipe/

It calls for bacon and cheese, but I don't necessarily bother - or just do cheese on top of the portion I'm eating instead. Oh, and chicken stock, but I'm sure you can do veggie stock instead and it'll turn out fine.

I include whatever veggies I have available - usually potatoes, carrots and corn...broccoli too if I have it. 362 calories per serving, including the chicken.

Hopefully you can try it out and see what you think!

ETA: It freezes pretty well, too, if that's something you do with things you cook!

~Lyssa
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    You are at only 14.286% of the risk that I am. Maybe you're safe.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Umm, bodybuilders will avoid certain foods due to the calorie density of them when they are cutting for a show. Otherwise, they usually will include such foods like ice cream, now and again.
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options

No. Statistics show that everyone who eats ice cream--even once--will die.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

+1

The first rule of holes:

When you're in one, stop digging.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

+1

I'm having a hard time believing that you're a real person.

lmao. Me too.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

No. Statistics show that everyone who eats ice cream--even once--will die.

Oh no :'(

But I've also heard that statistic about water.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

+1

Nope. Never happened.

My kid must be a medical marvel! Alert the media!!

Same here.

That said, I'm still trying to figure out what colour "food coloured" actually is...