If I eat an ice-cream everyday, but stay under the calorie limit, will it still work?

Options

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    culver531 wrote: »
    i actually had someone on here personally msg me about my comments calling me a troll. Everyone should be allowed an opinion and the other party allowed to rebut their opinion, but lets be nice here.
    It's hard to rebut an opinion. That's why everyone keeps asking you for evidence to support what you're saying. If your support is "that's just my opinion" or "common sense," that's fine, I suppose, but those are rather unpersuasive justifications as compared to using actual science.

Evidence, I just guess I go off of what I believe and that is eating healthy is good...I mean I have seen studies on how your body doesnt process sugar well when in high quantities and rises your insulin turning it into fat. I just thought that was the case. I must be wrong and you are ALL right :smile:

Yep, we are. Still waiting to hear about which toxins you speak of.

And let's just be super duper clear. If you are eating at a caloric deficit, no matter what the makeup of your food is, your body will not permanently store calories as fat. That's the crux of how any and all weight loss programs work. If you eat a lot of sugar then your body may temporarily convert the sugar to fat, but if you are eating in a deficit...it'll need to use that fat storage to run your body. It's a simple equation that you keep wanting to make complicated.

I also think it's sad that your head decides that ice cream is not healthy. Of course you already said that is mainly because you lack the skill of portion control. However that doesn't make it inherently unhealthy. I wonder how sad your food log must be.

I like my food log lol I enjoy a lot of blueberries and grapefruit actually lol. The toxins I'm thinking of uhhhh lets see palm oil, soybeanoil, all the dyes especially yellow. This is just a few, I never said no to icecream lol just not everyday. Equation? why not just eat healthy isnt that easier than trying to make food fun or make you happy.

I was gonna stay out of here but omg. You're suggesting that food can't be fun and healthy and/or make me happy and be healthy?

So somehow my chunky potato soup - which consists of a variety of fresh vegetables, some plain greek yogurt and a diced chicken breast - is bad for me because it makes me happy?

I just.

beeker-what-is-this-i-dont-even.gif

I have treats almost every single day. I can easily run 4-6 miles. I'm in great health.

If what you're doing works for you, kudos. But insisting it's the right way for everyone is absolute rubbish.

~Lyssa

Whenever someone suggests food shouldn't be fun and only be seen as fuel, my inner cook cries.
    I made some awesome curry just yesterday. It's so good I smile after the first bite.

I don't cook half as much as I would really like to but I have vowed to never just eat something for the sake of eating it, healthy or no. It damn well better be yummy if I'm spending calories on it!

~Lyssa

I'm interested in this chunky potato soup recipe. I'd vegetarianize it. You had me at "potato" and "Greek yogurt".

Happy to oblige...

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/potato-soup-recipe/

It calls for bacon and cheese, but I don't necessarily bother - or just do cheese on top of the portion I'm eating instead. Oh, and chicken stock, but I'm sure you can do veggie stock instead and it'll turn out fine.

I include whatever veggies I have available - usually potatoes, carrots and corn...broccoli too if I have it. 362 calories per serving, including the chicken.

Hopefully you can try it out and see what you think!

ETA: It freezes pretty well, too, if that's something you do with things you cook!

~Lyssa

It took me about 2.2 seconds to have that pinned for later viewing on Pinterest.

Carol...also, I have seen a veggie stock at places like Whole Foods that is supposed to mimic the taste of chicken stock. It was just a passing glance, but it intrigued me since veggie stock usually works, but sometimes it does put a different flavor profile on the dish, etc.

I did the same when I saved it...my mom has a recipe that uses frozen hash-brown style potatoes, chicken stock & cream cheese - it's pretty good but I wanted to find something that I could make with mostly fresh stuff and tweak as desired. This certainly fits the bill!

~Lyssa
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    i actually had someone on here personally msg me about my comments calling me a troll. Everyone should be allowed an opinion and the other party allowed to rebut their opinion, but lets be nice here.
    It's hard to rebut an opinion. That's why everyone keeps asking you for evidence to support what you're saying. If your support is "that's just my opinion" or "common sense," that's fine, I suppose, but those are rather unpersuasive justifications as compared to using actual science.

Evidence, I just guess I go off of what I believe and that is eating healthy is good...I mean I have seen studies on how your body doesnt process sugar well when in high quantities and rises your insulin turning it into fat. I just thought that was the case. I must be wrong and you are ALL right :smile:

And let's just be super duper clear. If you are eating at a caloric deficit, no matter what the makeup of your food is, your body will not permanently store calories as fat. That's the crux of how any and all weight loss programs work. If you eat a lot of sugar then your body may temporarily convert the sugar to fat, but if you are eating in a deficit...it'll need to use that fat storage to run your body. It's a simple equation that you keep wanting to make complicated.

I also think it's sad that your head decides that ice cream is not healthy. Of course you already said that is mainly because you lack the skill of portion control. However that doesn't make it inherently unhealthy. I wonder how sad your food log must be.

I like my food log lol I enjoy a lot of blueberries and grapefruit actually lol. The toxins I'm thinking of uhhhh lets see palm oil, soybeanoil, all the dyes especially yellow. This is just a few, I never said no to icecream lol just not everyday. Equation? why not just eat healthy isnt that easier than trying to make food fun or make you happy.

Do you know what the word "toxin" means?
    +1
    do i know what toxin means? Well for myself its anything not natural in food. The long term effect on most ingredients havent been shown yet but you will be warned about caramel coloring and yellow dyes causing cancer. Is that not toxic?

I thought red food dye was the toxic one. Dangnabit I can't keep up with what's going to kill me anymore.

seriously? Kraft was banned from using yellow dye because it is cancer causing, also if you have kids have you not noticed them bouncing off the walls after eating food colored cereals etc. this is just my experience so if asked by someone I would say stay away from food coloring if you can. Thats all I'm saying.

It would behoove you to stop presenting your opinions as facts. You're just digging yourself deeper here.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/kraft-agrees-yellow-dye-mac-cheese/story?id=20745315

i72xufrzgtjo.jpeg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I was gonna stay out of here but omg. You're suggesting that food can't be fun and healthy and/or make me happy and be healthy?

So somehow my chunky potato soup - which consists of a variety of fresh vegetables, some plain greek yogurt and a diced chicken breast - is bad for me because it makes me happy?

I just.

beeker-what-is-this-i-dont-even.gif

I have treats almost every single day. I can easily run 4-6 miles. I'm in great health.

If what you're doing works for you, kudos. But insisting it's the right way for everyone is absolute rubbish.

~Lyssa

Whenever someone suggests food shouldn't be fun and only be seen as fuel, my inner cook cries.
    I made some awesome curry just yesterday. It's so good I smile after the first bite.

I don't cook half as much as I would really like to but I have vowed to never just eat something for the sake of eating it, healthy or no. It damn well better be yummy if I'm spending calories on it!

~Lyssa

I'm interested in this chunky potato soup recipe. I'd vegetarianize it. You had me at "potato" and "Greek yogurt".

Happy to oblige...

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/potato-soup-recipe/

It calls for bacon and cheese, but I don't necessarily bother - or just do cheese on top of the portion I'm eating instead. Oh, and chicken stock, but I'm sure you can do veggie stock instead and it'll turn out fine.

I include whatever veggies I have available - usually potatoes, carrots and corn...broccoli too if I have it. 362 calories per serving, including the chicken.

Hopefully you can try it out and see what you think!

ETA: It freezes pretty well, too, if that's something you do with things you cook!

~Lyssa

It took me about 2.2 seconds to have that pinned for later viewing on Pinterest.

Carol...also, I have seen a veggie stock at places like Whole Foods that is supposed to mimic the taste of chicken stock. It was just a passing glance, but it intrigued me since veggie stock usually works, but sometimes it does put a different flavor profile on the dish, etc.

In my never-ending quest to try to get along with soy, I was going to wander over there this week to give tempeh another try. They're the only place that carries the gluten-free stuff. I'll have to poke around their stocks and see if I can find it.

Thanks!

• joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge backer of, and wholeheartedly recommend OP look up, "flexible dieting". tl;dr: you should strive to ensure that 80% of your calories are coming from nutritious foods to ensure that you're not only hitting your macronutrient goals, but you're supplying your body with essential micronutrients to function properly. As for the other 20%, you do whatever you want to do with them. If it's ice cream for dessert, so be it. For me, it's a pack of Oreos with my coffee every afternoon at work. Everything is allowed in moderation, and you're going to be a lot healthier, happier, and likelier to stick with it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    LdyJedi wrote: »
    You may lose weight, but you will most likely not have a healthy body otherwise. While a caloric deficit will help you shed pounds, you also need to maintain a healthy balance of nutrients to keep your heart and other muscles functioning properly.
    Why, exactly, does having ice cream most likely mean you won't maintain a healthy balance of nutrients?

From the USDA:
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/weight-management/better-choices/fewer-calories.html

Regardless of your weight status, empty calories should not be a major part of the diet. For most people, no more than 15% of calories should come from solid fats and added sugars. However, about 35% of the calories Americans typically eat and drink are empty calories. This means that many people choose foods and drinks with TOO MUCH solid fats and added sugars.

Sure you can eat a reasonable amount of ice cream, chips, cookies, etc. But someone trying to lose weight would be best served making sure they know what a serving size is and stay within the 15% suggested for health reasons.

I'm fairly sure there is not a single person on this planet for whom 1 ice cream would consist more than 15% of total calories.

There are 290 calories in a 1/2 cup serving of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream. 290 calories is a bit over 15% of 1900 calories.

I'm pretty sure there are a number of people on these boards eating less than 1900 calories.

My talenti Mediterranean mint is 200 calories a serving and I'm allotted 1650 cals a day. That puts me at 12%. It can be done on lower calories, the person may just have to be mindful when picking ice cream.

Mmmm, Talenti!

My cherry chocolate chip ice cream (that I'm having for dessert tonight) is 140 calories for a serving. I also have over 2000 calories to eat today because I worked out this morning. I guess I can have TWO servings if I want...Probably won't, but I could - just sayin'.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You may lose weight, but you will most likely not have a healthy body otherwise. While a caloric deficit will help you shed pounds, you also need to maintain a healthy balance of nutrients to keep your heart and other muscles functioning properly.
    Why, exactly, does having ice cream most likely mean you won't maintain a healthy balance of nutrients?

From the USDA:
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/weight-management/better-choices/fewer-calories.html

Regardless of your weight status, empty calories should not be a major part of the diet. For most people, no more than 15% of calories should come from solid fats and added sugars. However, about 35% of the calories Americans typically eat and drink are empty calories. This means that many people choose foods and drinks with TOO MUCH solid fats and added sugars.

Sure you can eat a reasonable amount of ice cream, chips, cookies, etc. But someone trying to lose weight would be best served making sure they know what a serving size is and stay within the 15% suggested for health reasons.

I'm fairly sure there is not a single person on this planet for whom 1 ice cream would consist more than 15% of total calories.

There are 290 calories in a 1/2 cup serving of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream. 290 calories is a bit over 15% of 1900 calories.

I'm pretty sure there are a number of people on these boards eating less than 1900 calories.

i'm failrly certain that if a person consumes say....16%, or let's go crazy, 20% of their total calories in Ben and Jerry's one day that they won't die instantaneously
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

From the USDA:

My talenti Mediterranean mint is 200 calories a serving and I'm allotted 1650 cals a day. That puts me at 12%. It can be done on lower calories, the person may just have to be mindful when picking ice cream.

Exactly my point.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

From the USDA:

This is interesting. A 1/2 cup of B&J is 100+ grams...a 1/2 cup of, say, Breyers Vanilla ice cream is a bit over half of that - 65g and 130 calories.

The difference is almost certainly all the chunky **** B&J throws in there, none of which is actually "ice cream". So a serving of B&J is like a serving of ice cream plus a Snickers bar.

Which is to say...not an apples to apples comparison....

Well the Ben and Jerry's is generally in the ice cream aisle. My only point was someone needs to know what they are eating and per the USDA recommendation I posted most people should not be eating more than 15% of their calories from solid fats and added sugars.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

From the USDA:

This is interesting. A 1/2 cup of B&J is 100+ grams...a 1/2 cup of, say, Breyers Vanilla ice cream is a bit over half of that - 65g and 130 calories.

The difference is almost certainly all the chunky **** B&J throws in there, none of which is actually "ice cream". So a serving of B&J is like a serving of ice cream plus a Snickers bar.

Well the Ben and Jerry's is generally in the ice cream aisle. My only point was someone needs to know what they are eating and per the USDA recommendation I posted most people should not be eating more than 15% of their calories from solid fats and added sugars.

Btw. in my ice cream, the added sugar only makes up 58 of the 130 calories per serving.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Not that it really matters, but when I eat ice cream or some other treat in a day I rarely go over my sugar limit. (It's also no more sugar than in a banana and chocolate chips, as someone else has pointed out.) And while I think the extent to which HFCS is in ice cream is being exaggerated (and question whether it's actually that different), let's remember that ice cream can be homemade and that there are millions of super organic or otherwise super picky about ingredients ice creams and gelatos out there. I'd bet anything the effect on one's weight would be no different, though. I just bought some new ice cream from WF--we should have a taste challenge of someone eating that, someone eating homemade, and someone eating whatever supermarket brand offends you so, all within a deficit. I'd bet all of us would lose and, assuming we ate plenty of other nutritious foods, suffer no ill effects at all.

Why people call you a troll is that you assume other people don't have self control to stay within their calories if they eat ice cream, and because you seem to have some weird idea that if we eat ice cream we won't eat mostly nutrient dense foods or fruits and veggies. I have never once had to choose between eating some ice cream or chocolate or cheese and eating fruits and veggies--I plan my days to have lots of veggies and adequate protein and healthy fats and then work in stuff like ice cream after that. (I also have a reasonable number of calories because I exercise.)

This has worked very well so far, so why would it be a bad example for others with lots to lose (as I once had). I'm now successfully maintaining at 125, although I may try to lose a bit more.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

From the USDA:

Btw. in my ice cream, the added sugar only makes up 58 of the 130 calories per serving.

Yeah, I had a similar thought.

Of course the "solid fats" bit refers to sat fat, which is also in ice cream, but most people who get all fervent about the horrors of sweets or "junk foods" will say any caution re sat fat should be ignored.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    If I know one thing about ice cream, I know this. Only the good stuff is worth eating. And the good stuff sure doesn't have HFCS in it.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

From the USDA:

Yeah, I had a similar thought.

Of course the "solid fats" bit refers to sat fat, which is also in ice cream, but most people who get all fervent about the horrors of sweets or "junk foods" will say any caution re sat fat should be ignored.

Needed to be repeated. I'm sure they'd double down on a nice rib eye, but oh, the horrors of a half a cup of ice cream!

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

From the USDA:

Except for the part where you used the most calorie dense ice cream available for you example. Oh, and the part where you used the number for the Total Calories to reach your number, not just the number of calories from solid fats and added sugars
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

From the USDA:

But we're also talking about people who recommended a diet low in all fat for decades before modifying that earlier this year (it's still an official guideline as of now though). The fact is, if you're restricting your calories, you're not getting 20%+ of your intake from solid fats and added sugars. (Unless you are completely fine with being hungry for most of the day.) OP can eat ice cream every single day and continue to lose weight, which was their question before the mass derailing.

OP, I like either Breyer's 90 calorie no-sugar-added line or 40-calorie sugar free fudgesicles. I can't "afford" Talenti or B +J every day.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

From the USDA:

Except for the part where you used the most calorie dense ice cream available for you example. Oh, and the part where you used the number for the Total Calories to reach your number, not just the number of calories from solid fats and added sugars

If you give someone a bowl of normal ice cream and a Snickers bar, it's two things.

But chop that Snickers bar into pieces and mix it into normal ice cream and somehow what you end up with is still just ice cream?

That's not honest debate...

(not "you" DevPaul)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Where is "all over the Internet" that states calorie counting does not work?

There are lots of diets that focus on either fat or carbs or protein, but if you overeat on any of them you will gain weight.

So...

Unless you have an issue with ice cream for medical or obsessive reasons, yeah you can lose weight if you eat a bit daily.

Get other nutrients with you other calories and rock on.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ok thank you everyone, not one person really helped but thanx. I believe we eat what the earth gave us if we want to be healthy and i didnt say no icecream ever i just dont think everyday is healthy. Thats my opinion. there are over weight people trying to lose weight on here and i think eating healthy is a good start and not all of us are already very fit eating icecream we are just starting. and your body processes a banana with sugar way differently that high fructose sugar hello!!! isnt that common sense

The earth gave us hemlock. I seriously don't think it put it there for us to eat.