If I eat an ice-cream everyday, but stay under the calorie limit, will it still work?

Options
The title is just a tiny example. The question I am trying to ask is; if I eat an unhealty food or something which has lots of calories (such as an ice cream, chocolate, pizza etc.) but still stay under the calorie limit, will this diet/lifestyle still work? I am confused because of all these blog posts and videos saying "Why calorie counting does not work" all over the internet.

Thanks, everyone, for helping this newbie. Have a nice day, ladies and gentlemen.

Replies

• vickypalfreyman471
    vickypalfreyman471 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I've lost 60lb in 6 months while still eating all my favourite foods! Add me if you like, my diary is open :)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it will work!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Yes, It will work. But you won't end up with a "toned" body.

What if they lift weights?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

You'll get bulky.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options

Eating at a deficit in general won't give you a toned body, no matter what you eat.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    ataysrht wrote: »
    The title is just a tiny example. The question I am trying to ask is; if I eat an unhealty food or something which has lots of calories (such as an ice cream, chocolate, pizza etc.) but still stay under the calorie limit, will this diet/lifestyle still work? I am confused because of all these blog posts and videos saying "Why calorie counting does not work" all over the internet.

Thanks, everyone, for helping this newbie. Have a nice day, ladies and gentlemen.

They tell you that, not because it is true, but because they have a different approach to sell to you. Counting calories doesn't cost money (besides the upfront investment in a food scale).

You are on MFP now. You're safe. You're among friends.
  • 123user456
    123user456 Posts: 68 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You'll get bulky.

Troll alert
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    yes it will work, cals in - cals out is everything (after hitting protein and fat minimums)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    YES it will work

Living proof
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    what? having a toned body = low bodyfat whether you eat ice cream or not
  • Pamelicious1988
    Pamelicious1988 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, it still works, but on a lower calorie count you need to remain mindful of your body's requirements for nutrient-dense foods and not just total calories.

I've been logging for nearly 500 days, have lost 70 pounds, and I could not have accomplished this without enjoying some familiar treats, including wine.

As well, I cleaned out my entire pantry and fridge, eliminated all processed foods, white sugar and flour. When I do buy occasional treats, I try to choose healthier versions. I still weigh and measure everything, and I stay within recommended portions, for instance two small scoops of gelato instead of full-fat ice cream.

I eat a few squares of fine dark chocolate once in a while; make healthy desserts with raw cacao, coconut oil, nuts, and dried fruit; order pizza with thin crust and grilled veggies, and ground beef instead of cured meats or pepperoni; order sashimi, miso soup, maki rolls, and gyoza dumplings from a Japanese place instead of Chinese or Thai food, which can be full of fat, sugar, salt, and fried items.

If you can discipline yourself not to go overboard, or you exceed your calories but add exercise and stay under for the rest of the week, you should still lose weight.
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight if you use more calories than you eat. My concern would be whether you are still getting the nutrients you need. Being healthy is much more than just being thin.

A toned body does not depend on the type of food you eat but on exercise. If it were that way, I would be toned to an inch of my life. I am fluffy because I don't exercise. But don't be like me, please. I am in the camp that believes that exercise does not do much for weight loss BUT is essential for health plus a tight body looks thinner.

And no, you will not get bulky by lifting weights, depends on how much you lift and how often.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    123user456 wrote: »

You'll get bulky.

Troll alert

What?? I thought the kidding was obvious. "Lifting makes you bulky" is the common myth debunked every day here. I guess I forgot the smiley

Now I need this one :s

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    ataysrht wrote: »

Yes, it will work.

It "doesn't work" because people don't want to do it and don't want to admit they got fat by eating too much. That's all.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options

BS. You get a "toned" body by having low enough body fat and enough muscle through exercise.

One of the most unattractive bodies I've ever seen belonged to a "pure food" vegan. When he took of his shirt, I wanted to throw up. College student. Thin. SO GROTESQUELY SKINNY-FAT. He managed to be sooooo thin you could see his ribs across the room, and yet he had folds of pudgy skin, like six in a row, down his belly. With clothes on, you could tell his was pasty and unhealthily thin from a distance, but you couldn't see the weird fat (and still have never seen anything like it in my life). The entire team whispered about that for a good month.

But, you know, he ate "clean." So he must have really be toned.
  • taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't eat ice-cream only on the days I eat cake. Didn't stop me from losing around 40lb so far. In some ways it helped me even, as having a treat in my day prevents me from feeling deprived. I have no issues with maintaining a calorie deficit for as long as it takes because of that.
  • Kayra42
    Kayra42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sure, you will lose weight but end up with malnutrition and avitaminosis
  • LdyJedi
    LdyJedi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You may lose weight, but you will most likely not have a healthy body otherwise. While a caloric deficit will help you shed pounds, you also need to maintain a healthy balance of nutrients to keep your heart and other muscles functioning properly.