If I eat an ice-cream everyday, but stay under the calorie limit, will it still work?

Options

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    culver531 wrote: »
    ok thank you everyone, not one person really helped but thanx. I believe we eat what the earth gave us if we want to be healthy and i didnt say no icecream ever i just dont think everyday is healthy. Thats my opinion. there are over weight people trying to lose weight on here and i think eating healthy is a good start and not all of us are already very fit eating icecream we are just starting. and your body processes a banana with sugar way differently that high fructose sugar hello!!! isnt that common sense

No, it's not common sense, because I don't see how that works. Care to give me some peer reviewed research on that matter?

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    ok thank you everyone, not one person really helped but thanx. I believe we eat what the earth gave us if we want to be healthy and i didnt say no icecream ever i just dont think everyday is healthy. Thats my opinion. there are over weight people trying to lose weight on here and i think eating healthy is a good start and not all of us are already very fit eating icecream we are just starting. and your body processes a banana with sugar way differently that high fructose sugar hello!!! isnt that common sense

Is ice cream not from earth?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

As a person with depression, working in a sweet/dessert every day keeps my mental health on par. I would be in a worse mental state (or in the provincial mental ward) if I didn't have something to satisfy my id (the lizard part of my brain). I admit I tried elimination diets - no desserts, no treats, food racism - and all it did was put me in a lovely hamster wheel of spiraling out of control where I would be curled up in bed bawling all over myself.

I'm fairly certain ice cream is an Earth-given food, given the Chinese are Earthlings.

And the sugar in bananas and HFCS in other foods are processed in my body the same way. I have no metabolic conditions and my health markers/blood work are normal. Keep in mind just because you have problems with certain foods doesn't mean every other person has the same problems. Penicillin will kill me, but I don't insist it be taken off the prescription wheel for those who aren't allergic.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Most ice cream is made with regular cane sugar, which is sucrose. When that gets digested in the body, it gets broken down into glucose and fructose. The sugar in bananas? Glucose and fructose.

It might be helpful for you to study real science instead of information from documentaries or from doctors who have an agenda.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    on another note some of us cant control ourselves to stop at a cup of icecream lol but thanx for attacking me for being realistic and not a body builder
    Whether you can control yourself is an entirely different issue from whether someone can eat ice cream every day and lose weight and be healthy. If you can't control yourself, don't eat it, but don't act like other people have your failings.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    on another note some of us cant control ourselves to stop at a cup of icecream lol but thanx for attacking me for being realistic and not a body builder

I don't think I was attacking you. Also I'm not a body builder and I started out at 169 lbs at 5'4" so I definitely started out in overweight beginner territory. For me being realistic means understanding that cutting out food groups isn't going to work for me. If you can't control yourself that's another issue, but it doesn't have anything to do with what we're discussing here-- the health and body composition of people who eat a daily serving of ice cream or other indulgence.

Common sense is not science, and often science ends up disproving things that are "common sense." I'd encourage you to read the article that I posted earlier in the thread. It's fine to limit or eliminate sugar from your diet if you choose, but if you make statements about sugar turning directly into fat regardless of energy balance you're going to be asked for your sources. "I just know" isn't going to be enough.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    wow lots of comments dont know if you'll see this but WOW really people eat icecream everyday is ok, not at all. I think that the first step to losing weight is acceptance, accept that you have to change your way of eating to maintain your weight loss. Junk food is junk why waste your time trying to lose weight if you keep putting junk in your body. Once in a while is understandable but it shouldn't be just about calorie count but the food itself. veggies vs processed food with ingredients you cant even recognize! I say no! your only setting yourself up for failure if you continue to eat bad food!

^ Definitely not an expert at long term maintenance. I've been doing this for years. You are setting yourself up for failure if you are TOO restrictive and unrealistic. Eating totally "clean" is going to get really old after awhile. Obviously, basing your diet primarily on tons of processed junk food isn't a great plan for your health and well-being. You SHOULD try to eat nutritious, wholesome food for the most part, but adding in some daily treats is a great trick to maintaining long-term. (That's for normal, healthy people. There are some people with medical exceptions.) No one wants to live their whole life feeling punished and restricted. If a daily dose of ice cream keeps somebody on the right path for the long term, how could that be bad? I mean, really? There are tons of us with great blood work and fit bodies to prove it.

073dfa9a-5ce3-43bd-8d2b-e4e9b1d05a60_zpsnmdivzph.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I deal with severe disordered eating (overeating, binge eating and such) and have found that trying to be overly restrictive and demonizing food (as you are doing) actually made that worse. Assuming that only fit people are on the moderation/includes ice cream into their calorie goals side of things is pretty funny.

In fact, I'd wager that most of the people correcting your misinformation have dealt with food issues and either way, what you are spouting is incorrect regardless of whether or not you or "them" have issues with control/willpower.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    edited July 2015
    Options

Im confused so no such thing as junk food? So you suggest to eat cheesepuffs as long as your macro and micro whatever are met, seriously! All the chemicals and dyes and just nonsense oils that are bad for your body are exceptable. I think you are the one in need of a drawing board. Here is a picture to start obesity on the rise kids eating low fat and sugar free snacks, mostly in their calorie range but still diabetic. Maybe instead of icecream they should eat a banana lol How can anyone say junk food is ok. Its sad!

Yes! If you meet the macro/micronutrients, extra calories can be spent on whatever! Sugar doesn't cause diabetes, btw; genetics and weight does.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I eat ice cream every night. I also lift weights and try to get a good balance of nutrients.

ffb03541-9018-4433-bc6a-8220c643c446_zps72yeqre1.jpg

@MamaBirdBoss the body shaming isn't necessary. You can debunk the idea that a person has to eat "clean" without putting down someone else's body.

img]

Gibs are a good source of protein.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Those of you who have that issue are not the ones being "realistic".

Overeating isn't a realistic behavior in the modern day. It's an outgrown remnant of a time when we were programmed to eat when food was available, and now it's a just perversion of what your body needs, based on adapting to an environment rich in readily available food and a lack of self-restraint in the face of it.

We all need to learn to control ourselves, and I will tell you, admitting that to myself was HARD. Admitting that it was me and not the food and that nooooooo I was not special and sensitive to sugar or carbs and they didn't make me eat them? It was painful.

And it was one of the best things I ever did.

• PikaKnight
    Options

Is ice cream not from earth?

TIL that cows and sugar cane are really from outerspace.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options

We were helping the op. For many of us to completely deny ourselves of sweets will not help in the long run. This is for life. I could not spend the rest of my life limiting ice cream to "so many times a year" I will work them in the summer.
    You are just confusing matters with half truths. How is it helping an overweight person by telling them sugar is evil, never eat it, only eat what the earth gave us. This can cause a huge binge. Demonizing a food is unhealthy.
    You can have your opinion, we have ours. Many testimonials here from overweight people that you choose to ignore.

I cannot stop myself at one cup of grapes...is this bad..is there sugar in it.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You know what I find helpful?

1. Not demonizing any food;
    2. Eating what I like IN MODERATION;
    3. Punctuation.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    im not demonizing food I just believe what is put out there in package form isnt food mostly. Read the labels. Theres toxins in a lot of food clean eating is only boring if you dont look at food as something to just fuel your body. Food is meant to make us happy, thats not why we have veggies and fruits full of nutrients there made to fuel us.

Says she's not demonizing food but then proceeds to demonize food. :laugh:
  • lemonsnowdrop
    edited July 2015
    Options
    im not demonizing food I just believe what is put out there in package form isnt food mostly. Read the labels. Theres toxins in a lot of food clean eating is only boring if you dont look at food as something to just fuel your body. Food is meant to make us happy, thats not why we have veggies and fruits full of nutrients there made to fuel us.

What toxins? You haven't backed up any of your claims with evidence or research. Also, if you make homemade ice cream with milk, cane sugar, vanilla and salt, is it still evil, or only if bought from Dairy Queen? It's crazy how one person will argue with one hundred people telling them they are wrong and still believe they're right.