If I eat an ice-cream everyday, but stay under the calorie limit, will it still work?

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    culver531 wrote: »
    i actually had someone on here personally msg me about my comments calling me a troll. Everyone should be allowed an opinion and the other party allowed to rebut their opinion, but lets be nice here.
    It's hard to rebut an opinion. That's why everyone keeps asking you for evidence to support what you're saying. If your support is "that's just my opinion" or "common sense," that's fine, I suppose, but those are rather unpersuasive justifications as compared to using actual science.

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    bobby19666 wrote: »
    NO NO and NO. Sugar raises insulin, so it makes your body store fat. EAT HEALTHY don't try and cheat it. Or you'll suffer in life

Wow that sounds really scary. How will I suffer in life, exactly? Because my life feels pretty happy and fulfilling despite the fact that I eat sugar... I'm gainfully employed, happily married, two beautiful kids, and I'm healthier than I've ever been. Gosh what happens if I give up sugar?

You will become queen of the world

tumblr_nfvrk4uhgS1u4iuato4_500.gif
    Who doesn't already love despair? Those posters are hilarious!
    knowledgedemotivator.jpeg?v=1414011355
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    ok thank you everyone, not one person really helped but thanx. I believe we eat what the earth gave us if we want to be healthy and i didnt say no icecream ever i just dont think everyday is healthy. Thats my opinion. there are over weight people trying to lose weight on here and i think eating healthy is a good start and not all of us are already very fit eating icecream we are just starting. and your body processes a banana with sugar way differently that high fructose sugar hello!!! isnt that common sense

Is ice cream not from earth?

TIL that cows and sugar cane are really from outerspace.

or that its mostly high fructose corn syrup made by man? I just still dont see how its not easy to understand why sugar isnt good when not consumed through say "fruit". Plus are we talking plain vanilla or fully loaded reeses icecream theres a huge difference. Also I never said sugar was evil either lol geese I just think trying to eat healthy is a good idea and to read labels and know what it is your consuming. Lots of junk food is bad and there is always a healthy alternative, being that lots of healthy fruit has sugar you wont crave sugar and binge because your not completely eliminating it.

I would encourage you to read this (especially point 6): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1181259
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    bobby19666 wrote: »
    NO NO and NO. Sugar raises insulin, so it makes your body store fat. EAT HEALTHY don't try and cheat it. Or you'll suffer in life

Wow that sounds really scary. How will I suffer in life, exactly? Because my life feels pretty happy and fulfilling despite the fact that I eat sugar... I'm gainfully employed, happily married, two beautiful kids, and I'm healthier than I've ever been. Gosh what happens if I give up sugar?

You will become queen of the world

tumblr_nfvrk4uhgS1u4iuato4_500.gif
    Who doesn't already love despair? Those posters are hilarious!
    knowledgedemotivator.jpeg?v=1414011355

Idiocracy-e1372009319430.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Kayra42 wrote: »
    LdyJedi wrote: »
    There are a lot of people who eat processed and fast food who are in great health.

Please pose peer reviewed medical studies to back up these claims.

This one was pretty good.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html
  • DeguelloTex
    edited July 2015
    Options
    i actually had someone on here personally msg me about my comments calling me a troll. Everyone should be allowed an opinion and the other party allowed to rebut their opinion, but lets be nice here.
    It's hard to rebut an opinion. That's why everyone keeps asking you for evidence to support what you're saying. If your support is "that's just my opinion" or "common sense," that's fine, I suppose, but those are rather unpersuasive justifications as compared to using actual science.

I must be wrong and you are ALL right :smile:
    That's progress, then.

• waituntil
    waituntil Posts: 42 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ataysrht wrote: »
    if I eat an unhealty food or something which has lots of calories but still stay under the calorie limit, will this diet/lifestyle still work?

Yes absolutely!
    As long as you are burning more than what you're taking in, you will lose weight.
    If you naturally burn 2000 calories per day and eat 1500 calories of cake per day, you still have the deficit of 500 calories, thus you will lose weight.

Next time someone tells you that you can't lose weight on ice cream, just tell them there is an actual diet where you eat ice cream. It's called the "3 Day Ice Cream Diet". I've done it a number of times and lost 10 lbs each time I did it. You can google it. It goes under different names... but same principle... 3 days and ice cream each day.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Kayra42 wrote: »
    There are a lot of people who eat processed and fast food who are in great health.

Please pose peer reviewed medical studies to back up these claims.

This one was pretty good.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

Because nobody (that should) is going to read it...

The pattern of nutrient and hormonal response was similar for a given subject to each of the 3 meals. The only statistically significant acute difference observed was a decrease in the AUC of LDL cholesterol after the organic beef meal relative to that for the other two meals. Other metabolic responses were not different.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Evidence, I just guess I go off of what I believe and that is eating healthy is good...I mean I have seen studies on how your body doesnt process sugar well when in high quantities and rises your insulin turning it into fat. I just thought that was the case. I must be wrong and you are ALL right :smile:

Where did anyone in this thread say that eating healthy was bad? What people have said, what is always missed, is that you should eat a primarily nutrient dense diet and then if you have room, eat a treat if you like. If someone eats a well balanced, nutrient rich diet, and them has a serving of ice cream at the end of the day, are you saying the ice cream invalidates all the other healthy choices they made?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    wow lots of comments dont know if you'll see this but WOW really people eat icecream everyday is ok, not at all. I think that the first step to losing weight is acceptance, accept that you have to change your way of eating to maintain your weight loss. Junk food is junk why waste your time trying to lose weight if you keep putting junk in your body. Once in a while is understandable but it shouldn't be just about calorie count but the food itself. veggies vs processed food with ingredients you cant even recognize! I say no! your only setting yourself up for failure if you continue to eat bad food!

^ Definitely not an expert at long term maintenance. I've been doing this for years. You are setting yourself up for failure if you are TOO restrictive and unrealistic. Eating totally "clean" is going to get really old after awhile. Obviously, basing your diet primarily on tons of processed junk food isn't a great plan for your health and well-being. You SHOULD try to eat nutritious, wholesome food for the most part, but adding in some daily treats is a great trick to maintaining long-term. (That's for normal, healthy people. There are some people with medical exceptions.) No one wants to live their whole life feeling punished and restricted. If a daily dose of ice cream keeps somebody on the right path for the long term, how could that be bad? I mean, really? There are tons of us with great blood work and fit bodies to prove it.

073dfa9a-5ce3-43bd-8d2b-e4e9b1d05a60_zpsnmdivzph.jpg

Cosigned.

(Still working on getting the fit body, but I've seen the light after years of restrictive dieting.)

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You may lose weight, but you will most likely not have a healthy body otherwise. While a caloric deficit will help you shed pounds, you also need to maintain a healthy balance of nutrients to keep your heart and other muscles functioning properly.
    Why, exactly, does having ice cream most likely mean you won't maintain a healthy balance of nutrients?

From the USDA:
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/weight-management/better-choices/fewer-calories.html

Regardless of your weight status, empty calories should not be a major part of the diet. For most people, no more than 15% of calories should come from solid fats and added sugars. However, about 35% of the calories Americans typically eat and drink are empty calories. This means that many people choose foods and drinks with TOO MUCH solid fats and added sugars.

Sure you can eat a reasonable amount of ice cream, chips, cookies, etc. But someone trying to lose weight would be best served making sure they know what a serving size is and stay within the 15% suggested for health reasons.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    The problem with refined sugar -- and the reason it contributes to obesity and chronic diseases -- is its fast rate of metabolism, lack of healthy nutrients and inability to make you feel full. Sugar comes from sugar cane, yet extreme refinement has eliminated all of the fiber and plant nutrients. Refined sugar is quickly broken down into glucose and fructose. The increase in glucose spikes insulin and blood sugar levels, giving you a quick surge of energy. If you do not use this energy immediately, your body may turn it into fat. Fructose is metabolized in your liver and is absorbed at once, increasing fat cell production and workload on your liver. The quick digestion of refined sugar prevents fullness even after you eat a calorie-rich chocolate bar, leaving you hungry.

Is this all just stuff you "believe," or do you have any real sources for these claims?
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    The problem with refined sugar -- and the reason it contributes to obesity and chronic diseases -- is its fast rate of metabolism, lack of healthy nutrients and inability to make you feel full. Sugar comes from sugar cane, yet extreme refinement has eliminated all of the fiber and plant nutrients. Refined sugar is quickly broken down into glucose and fructose. The increase in glucose spikes insulin and blood sugar levels, giving you a quick surge of energy. If you do not use this energy immediately, your body may turn it into fat. Fructose is metabolized in your liver and is absorbed at once, increasing fat cell production and workload on your liver. The quick digestion of refined sugar prevents fullness even after you eat a calorie-rich chocolate bar, leaving you hungry.

So...where was this copied and pasted from?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I guess it's a good thing that no one is suggested a largely sugar-based diet or eating refined sugar in order to feel full. If you've seen someone here recommending this, could you point out that post?

Excess calories get stored as fat. Sugar. Fat. Protein. Regardless. In a deficit, it's not stored as fat, even if the calories were from sugar.

Again, despite your efforts to move the goalposts, the question was whether eating ice cream every day would prevent weight loss. It wasn't about an ice cream diet, or the satiety provided by ice cream, or anything else having to do with sugar. Right?

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    You may lose weight, but you will most likely not have a healthy body otherwise. While a caloric deficit will help you shed pounds, you also need to maintain a healthy balance of nutrients to keep your heart and other muscles functioning properly.
    Why, exactly, does having ice cream most likely mean you won't maintain a healthy balance of nutrients?

From the USDA:
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/weight-management/better-choices/fewer-calories.html

Regardless of your weight status, empty calories should not be a major part of the diet. For most people, no more than 15% of calories should come from solid fats and added sugars. However, about 35% of the calories Americans typically eat and drink are empty calories. This means that many people choose foods and drinks with TOO MUCH solid fats and added sugars.

Sure you can eat a reasonable amount of ice cream, chips, cookies, etc. But someone trying to lose weight would be best served making sure they know what a serving size is and stay within the 15% suggested for health reasons.

I'm fairly sure there is not a single person on this planet for whom 1 ice cream would consist more than 15% of total calories.