If I eat an ice-cream everyday, but stay under the calorie limit, will it still work?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    culver531 wrote: »
    i actually had someone on here personally msg me about my comments calling me a troll. Everyone should be allowed an opinion and the other party allowed to rebut their opinion, but lets be nice here.
    It's hard to rebut an opinion. That's why everyone keeps asking you for evidence to support what you're saying. If your support is "that's just my opinion" or "common sense," that's fine, I suppose, but those are rather unpersuasive justifications as compared to using actual science.
    The problem with refined sugar -- and the reason it contributes to obesity and chronic diseases -- is its fast rate of metabolism, lack of healthy nutrients and inability to make you feel full. Sugar comes from sugar cane, yet extreme refinement has eliminated all of the fiber and plant nutrients. Refined sugar is quickly broken down into glucose and fructose. The increase in glucose spikes insulin and blood sugar levels, giving you a quick surge of energy. If you do not use this energy immediately, your body may turn it into fat. Fructose is metabolized in your liver and is absorbed at once, increasing fat cell production and workload on your liver. The quick digestion of refined sugar prevents fullness even after you eat a calorie-rich chocolate bar, leaving you hungry.

So...where was this copied and pasted from?

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/body-process-fruit-sugars-same-way-refined-sugar-8174.html

People should really learn to cite sources.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Im confused so no such thing as junk food? So you suggest to eat cheesepuffs as long as your macro and micro whatever are met, seriously! All the chemicals and dyes and just nonsense oils that are bad for your body are exceptable. I think you are the one in need of a drawing board. Here is a picture to start obesity on the rise kids eating low fat and sugar free snacks, mostly in their calorie range but still diabetic. Maybe instead of icecream they should eat a banana lol How can anyone say junk food is ok. Its sad!

Sure. A small, single serving of cheese puffs is not going to undo an otherwise nutrient-dense diet rich in lean proteins, dairy, whole grains and produce as long as they fit within your caloric limits. Do cheese-puffs have the power to erase the nutrition from all of those other foods? There's about 150-160 calories in a snack pack of Cheetos. That's... not a lot.

I'm not even going to address the "statistics" you made up about children eating within their caloric ranges and still being diabetic.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    The problem with refined sugar -- and the reason it contributes to obesity and chronic diseases -- is its fast rate of metabolism, lack of healthy nutrients and inability to make you feel full. Sugar comes from sugar cane, yet extreme refinement has eliminated all of the fiber and plant nutrients. Refined sugar is quickly broken down into glucose and fructose. The increase in glucose spikes insulin and blood sugar levels, giving you a quick surge of energy. If you do not use this energy immediately, your body may turn it into fat. Fructose is metabolized in your liver and is absorbed at once, increasing fat cell production and workload on your liver. The quick digestion of refined sugar prevents fullness even after you eat a calorie-rich chocolate bar, leaving you hungry.

Again, please provide peer cited reviews.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    LdyJedi wrote: »
    You may lose weight, but you will most likely not have a healthy body otherwise. While a caloric deficit will help you shed pounds, you also need to maintain a healthy balance of nutrients to keep your heart and other muscles functioning properly.
    Why, exactly, does having ice cream most likely mean you won't maintain a healthy balance of nutrients?

From the USDA:
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/weight-management/better-choices/fewer-calories.html

Regardless of your weight status, empty calories should not be a major part of the diet. For most people, no more than 15% of calories should come from solid fats and added sugars. However, about 35% of the calories Americans typically eat and drink are empty calories. This means that many people choose foods and drinks with TOO MUCH solid fats and added sugars.

Sure you can eat a reasonable amount of ice cream, chips, cookies, etc. But someone trying to lose weight would be best served making sure they know what a serving size is and stay within the 15% suggested for health reasons.

Which is actually what everyone who advocates for moderation is recommending. That a person should eat a primarily nutrient dense diet, and once the macro/micro nutrient goals are met then it is ok to have a treat like ice cream. The advice from the most successful people on here also recommend diligent logging including weighing food to get accurate serving sizes.

I'm not sure where you are seeing someone recommend something different?
  • Liftng4Lis
    edited July 2015
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Kayra42 wrote: »
    There are a lot of people who eat processed and fast food who are in great health.

Please pose peer reviewed medical studies to back up these claims.

"You mean like you do when asked to do the same?
    But I did not say: "There are a lot of people who eat processed and fast food who are in great health."

odejuhrnv6ig.jpeg
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    ok thank you everyone, not one person really helped but thanx. I believe we eat what the earth gave us if we want to be healthy and i didnt say no icecream ever i just dont think everyday is healthy. Thats my opinion. there are over weight people trying to lose weight on here and i think eating healthy is a good start and not all of us are already very fit eating icecream we are just starting. and your body processes a banana with sugar way differently that high fructose sugar hello!!! isnt that common sense

Is ice cream not from earth?

TIL that cows and sugar cane are really from outerspace.

or that its mostly high fructose corn syrup made by man? I just still dont see how its not easy to understand why sugar isnt good when not consumed through say "fruit". Plus are we talking plain vanilla or fully loaded reeses icecream theres a huge difference. Also I never said sugar was evil either lol geese I just think trying to eat healthy is a good idea and to read labels and know what it is your consuming. Lots of junk food is bad and there is always a healthy alternative, being that lots of healthy fruit has sugar you wont crave sugar and binge because your not completely eliminating it.

Who's binging?

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    i actually had someone on here personally msg me about my comments calling me a troll. Everyone should be allowed an opinion and the other party allowed to rebut their opinion, but lets be nice here.
    It's hard to rebut an opinion. That's why everyone keeps asking you for evidence to support what you're saying. If your support is "that's just my opinion" or "common sense," that's fine, I suppose, but those are rather unpersuasive justifications as compared to using actual science.

Evidence, I just guess I go off of what I believe and that is eating healthy is good...I mean I have seen studies on how your body doesnt process sugar well when in high quantities and rises your insulin turning it into fat. I just thought that was the case. I must be wrong and you are ALL right :smile:

Yep, we are. Still waiting to hear about which toxins you speak of.

And let's just be super duper clear. If you are eating at a caloric deficit, no matter what the makeup of your food is, your body will not permanently store calories as fat. That's the crux of how any and all weight loss programs work. If you eat a lot of sugar then your body may temporarily convert the sugar to fat, but if you are eating in a deficit...it'll need to use that fat storage to run your body. It's a simple equation that you keep wanting to make complicated.

I also think it's sad that your head decides that ice cream is not healthy. Of course you already said that is mainly because you lack the skill of portion control. However that doesn't make it inherently unhealthy. I wonder how sad your food log must be.

I like my food log lol I enjoy a lot of blueberries and grapefruit actually lol. The toxins I'm thinking of uhhhh lets see palm oil, soybeanoil, all the dyes especially yellow. This is just a few, I never said no to icecream lol just not everyday. Equation? why not just eat healthy isnt that easier than trying to make food fun or make you happy.

Do you know what the word "toxin" means?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Evidence, I just guess I go off of what I believe and that is eating healthy is good...I mean I have seen studies on how your body doesnt process sugar well when in high quantities and rises your insulin turning it into fat. I just thought that was the case. I must be wrong and you are ALL right :smile:

And let's just be super duper clear. If you are eating at a caloric deficit, no matter what the makeup of your food is, your body will not permanently store calories as fat. That's the crux of how any and all weight loss programs work. If you eat a lot of sugar then your body may temporarily convert the sugar to fat, but if you are eating in a deficit...it'll need to use that fat storage to run your body. It's a simple equation that you keep wanting to make complicated.

I also think it's sad that your head decides that ice cream is not healthy. Of course you already said that is mainly because you lack the skill of portion control. However that doesn't make it inherently unhealthy. I wonder how sad your food log must be.

I like my food log lol I enjoy a lot of blueberries and grapefruit actually lol. The toxins I'm thinking of uhhhh lets see palm oil, soybeanoil, all the dyes especially yellow. This is just a few, I never said no to icecream lol just not everyday. Equation? why not just eat healthy isnt that easier than trying to make food fun or make you happy.

Palm oil and Soybean Oil are toxins???!?!?!?! :laugh:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

WHU???
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    bobby19666 wrote: »
    NO NO and NO. Sugar raises insulin, so it makes your body store fat. EAT HEALTHY don't try and cheat it. Or you'll suffer in life

And then you do something like breathe or have your heart beat or wash the dishes... and you burn fat. If you're in a caloric deficit, you burn more fat than you store and you lose weight.

OR

And then you do something like breathe or have your heart beat or wash the dishes... and you burn fat. If you're eating at maintenance, status quo is maintained.

OR

And then you do something like breathe or have your heart beat or wash the dishes... and you burn fat. If you're eating a caloric surplus, you store excess fat and gain weight.

Honestly, the insulin fear mongering is ridiculous.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

+1
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ok thank you everyone, not one person really helped but thanx. I believe we eat what the earth gave us if we want to be healthy and i didnt say no icecream ever i just dont think everyday is healthy. Thats my opinion. there are over weight people trying to lose weight on here and i think eating healthy is a good start and not all of us are already very fit eating icecream we are just starting. and your body processes a banana with sugar way differently that high fructose sugar hello!!! isnt that common sense

or that its mostly high fructose corn syrup made by man? I just still dont see how its not easy to understand why sugar isnt good when not consumed through say "fruit". Plus are we talking plain vanilla or fully loaded reeses icecream theres a huge difference. Also I never said sugar was evil either lol geese I just think trying to eat healthy is a good idea and to read labels and know what it is your consuming. Lots of junk food is bad and there is always a healthy alternative, being that lots of healthy fruit has sugar you wont crave sugar and binge because your not completely eliminating it.

Who's binging?

Apparently this poster has trouble with moderating consumption of sweets, ergo ice cream is unhealthy for all of us who don't struggle with moderating it.

Who's binging?

Not me! In honor of this thread I just ate a snack size Oreo McFlurry and am perfectly satisfied.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    bobby19666 wrote: »
    NO NO and NO. Sugar raises insulin, so it makes your body store fat. EAT HEALTHY don't try and cheat it. Or you'll suffer in life

And then you do something like breathe or have your heart beat or wash the dishes... and you burn fat. If you're in a caloric deficit, you burn more fat than you store and you lose weight.

OR

And then you do something like breathe or have your heart beat or wash the dishes... and you burn fat. If you're eating at maintenance, status quo is maintained.

OR

And then you do something like breathe or have your heart beat or wash the dishes... and you burn fat. If you're eating a caloric surplus, you store excess fat and gain weight.

Honestly, the insulin fear mongering is ridiculous.

I should quote my post about some other "insulin is ebil" post from another thread. I hope I didn't forget anything in that one or said something wrong.
    Carbohydrates aren't the only thing that makes you produce more insulin. Protein does too.
    All carbohydrates produce insulin, not only added sugars.
    They usually only consider a single food eaten in isolation. Eating whatever has the sugar in it together with other macros reduces the insulin response. And most foods aren't solely or even mostly made out of sugar.
    Insulin doesn't stop fat burning. Your body produces insulin when you've eaten something, when you've eaten something you have available calories, so obviously you aren't burning any bodyfat at that point. That's not insulin's fault and even if you ate only fat (which is the one thing you could eat that would not make you produce insulin), you'd gain fat if you ate too much of it and not burn any.
    Lastly, insulin is important for your body. Very important. It is not evil. You need insulin. It regulates the amount of glucose you have in your blood. Too high AND too low blood sugar both are not good for you.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You may lose weight, but you will most likely not have a healthy body otherwise. While a caloric deficit will help you shed pounds, you also need to maintain a healthy balance of nutrients to keep your heart and other muscles functioning properly.
    Why, exactly, does having ice cream most likely mean you won't maintain a healthy balance of nutrients?

From the USDA:
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/weight-management/better-choices/fewer-calories.html

Regardless of your weight status, empty calories should not be a major part of the diet. For most people, no more than 15% of calories should come from solid fats and added sugars. However, about 35% of the calories Americans typically eat and drink are empty calories. This means that many people choose foods and drinks with TOO MUCH solid fats and added sugars.

Sure you can eat a reasonable amount of ice cream, chips, cookies, etc. But someone trying to lose weight would be best served making sure they know what a serving size is and stay within the 15% suggested for health reasons.

I'm fairly sure there is not a single person on this planet for whom 1 ice cream would consist more than 15% of total calories.

Serving size is 1/2 cup (65g) -> 135 calories, which would be 15% of 135/.15 -> 900 calories.

Not that anybody eats that serving size...scale as per personal circumstances...
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just give it up.

The fact is, this needs to be a sustainable way of living/eating. Over 80% of the people that lose the weight, are destined to gain it back, and many will gain back even more than they lost.

Many of us have kept the weight off and are striving to beat the odds of being able to keep it off. I know for a fact that without being able to indulge in ALL of the foods I love, (of which sweets are very important part), I would definitely be one of the 80% that are the statistics. Instead, I will continue to monitor my weight, eat anything I want to, and hopefully, be one of the small percent that keeps the weight off.

You do what works for you...................I will continue to do what works, and has worked for my entire time on MFP, 40 months. Let's meet back here in five years,(the figures for the time actually keeping the weight off) and see how we are doing.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

+1
    do i know what toxin means? Well for myself its anything not natural in food. The long term effect on most ingredients havent been shown yet but you will be warned about caramel coloring and yellow dyes causing cancer. Is that not toxic?

Most toxins are completely natural.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

From the USDA:

is....someone here making the case that the majority of a person's diet should come in the form of ice cream or cookies?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

It's customary to quote your source.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/body-process-fruit-sugars-same-way-refined-sugar-8174.html