If I eat an ice-cream everyday, but stay under the calorie limit, will it still work?

Options

Replies

• Strawili
    Strawili Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes, It will work. But you won't end up with a "toned" body.

BS. You get a "toned" body by having low enough body fat and enough muscle through exercise.

One of the most unattractive bodies I've ever seen belonged to a "pure food" vegan. When he took of his shirt, I wanted to throw up. College student. Thin. SO GROTESQUELY SKINNY-FAT. He managed to be sooooo thin you could see his ribs across the room, and yet he had folds of pudgy skin, like six in a row, down his belly. With clothes on, you could tell his was pasty and unhealthily thin from a distance, but you couldn't see the weird fat (and still have never seen anything like it in my life). The entire team whispered about that for a good month.

But, you know, he ate "clean." So he must have really be toned.

That poor guy. Maybe it was bad luck in the genetic pool? Either way, making fun of someone because of their body is not cool.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options

BS. You get a "toned" body by having low enough body fat and enough muscle through exercise.

One of the most unattractive bodies I've ever seen belonged to a "pure food" vegan. When he took of his shirt, I wanted to throw up. College student. Thin. SO GROTESQUELY SKINNY-FAT. He managed to be sooooo thin you could see his ribs across the room, and yet he had folds of pudgy skin, like six in a row, down his belly. With clothes on, you could tell his was pasty and unhealthily thin from a distance, but you couldn't see the weird fat (and still have never seen anything like it in my life). The entire team whispered about that for a good month.

Ha, I take offense at this for the "pasty" comment. I am quite toned and pasty white.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options

That poor guy. Maybe it was bad luck in the genetic pool? Either way, making fun of someone because of their body is not cool.

also agree here.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Kayra42 wrote: »
    Sure, you will lose weight but end up with malnutrition and avitaminosis
    LdyJedi wrote: »
    You may lose weight, but you will most likely not have a healthy body otherwise. While a caloric deficit will help you shed pounds, you also need to maintain a healthy balance of nutrients to keep your heart and other muscles functioning properly.

B.S. Bryers Original Chocolate ice cream is 140 calories for 66 grams. If you can not fit in a small treat everyday your deficit is too big.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    123user456 wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »

What if they lift weights?

You'll get bulky.

Troll alert

What?? I thought the kidding was obvious. "Lifting makes you bulky" is the common myth debunked every day here. I guess I forgot the smiley

Now I need this one :s

I'm hoping they meant the moistypoison avi. :s
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You may lose weight, but you will most likely not have a healthy body otherwise. While a caloric deficit will help you shed pounds, you also need to maintain a healthy balance of nutrients to keep your heart and other muscles functioning properly.
    Why, exactly, does having ice cream most likely mean you won't maintain a healthy balance of nutrients?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

B.S. Bryers Original Chocolate ice cream is 140 calories for 66 grams. If you can not fit in a small treat everyday your deficit is too big.

This^^
    I didn't read the OP as eating just ice cream or pizza all day erryday.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Maybe that pudge was actually excess skin from him already losing a lot of weight? Maybe he had a medical condition that made him look that way? Whatever the cause, I think it's pretty cruel to say the sight of his body made you want to throw up, no one deserves that.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Maybe that pudge was actually excess skin from him already losing a lot of weight? Maybe he had a medical condition that made him look that way? Whatever the cause, I think it's pretty cruel to say the sight of his body made you want to throw up, no one deserves that.
    Facts are facts, aren't they? It's not a question of "deserving."

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I eat dessert every night. Ice cream, cookies, candy bar, whatever. It's my reward for staying within my calories. I'm on a 190 day streak and in 6 months I have lost around 130 pounds. I do focus on protein, but if I want something, I'm having it as long as I can fit it in my deficit. It hasn't hurt me so far!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

If you are eating a PROPER serving of ice cream, it is entirely possible to also consume a healthy balance of nutrients.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Ice cream and cake (and steak and chicken and vegetable soup and bread and pasta and pizza and lots of rice and some time in the gym) worked (and continue to work) for me.

ETA: And my serum cholesterol levels continue to drop each yearly test for 3 years in a row. They are now well below my physician's own readings (and he is half my age).

p4rbns1mgs62.png

45799488.png

giphy.gif

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream every night. I also lift weights and try to get a good balance of nutrients.

ffb03541-9018-4433-bc6a-8220c643c446_zps72yeqre1.jpg

@MamaBirdBoss the body shaming isn't necessary. You can debunk the idea that a person has to eat "clean" without putting down someone else's body.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

depends. is the OP going to be resistance training?
  • Strawili
    Strawili Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Facts are facts, aren't they? It's not a question of "deserving."

Whispering and snickering about someone behind their back because of their body type, and going onto MFP to brag about how repulsive someones body is not very polite. I have 150 lbs to lose, am I going to have saggy skin and a self-conscious issue with it? Hell yeah. Do I need people to tell me how disgusting I might look? Hell no.

Facts may be facts, but they can still be uncalled for.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    ataysrht wrote: »
    The title is just a tiny example. The question I am trying to ask is; if I eat an unhealty food or something which has lots of calories (such as an ice cream, chocolate, pizza etc.) but still stay under the calorie limit, will this diet/lifestyle still work? I am confused because of all these blog posts and videos saying "Why calorie counting does not work" all over the internet.

Thanks, everyone, for helping this newbie. Have a nice day, ladies and gentlemen.

I can have reasonable portions of any treats I like as part of all the things I eat, including meats, vegetables, fruits, etc.

It comes down to choices. If I have pizza for lunch (which I plan to do today, because reasons), I will probably not have room within my calorie target to allow for ice cream. I can choose to exercise and earn more calories to make room for ice cream, I can choose to eat the ice cream anyway and accept a smaller deficit today, or I can choose to not have the ice cream today.

It is also up to me to be sure to meet my other nutritional needs: ice cream while cold, creamy, sweet, and delicious, will certainly not meet all of those needs in the proportions I require.

My goal is weight loss: maintaining calories in a deficit over time achieves that.
    My goal is being healthy with an appropriate body composition when I reach my goal weight: insuring I get enough protein, fat, micronutrients, and exercise consistently achieves that.