If I eat an ice-cream everyday, but stay under the calorie limit, will it still work?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am surprised that ice cream and pizza were singled out as potentially "unhealthy" choices. Both have lots of good things in them. Both are higher in fat so portions need to be watched. Load up that pizza with veggies and the macro balance is nearly perfect! That fat compensates by being highly satiating however.

If I were to pick a potentially "unhealthy" diet I'd pick something like an all cereal diet, which I've seen here on MFP. Or an all fruit diet. Or an all liquid diet. That would be seriously lacking in nutrients.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I skipped most of the posts because this obviously hit a chord.

In general, I agree with the questions of what is unhealthy about ice cream and pizza. If you've ever watched a pizza being made, you would notice (I'm not sure about Domino's), a bit of olive oil, tomato sauce, and cheese (mozzerella is relatively low fat) on some bread that gets baked in the oven. I am always clueless about what people find unhealthy about that.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    LdyJedi wrote: »
    You may lose weight, but you will most likely not have a healthy body otherwise. While a caloric deficit will help you shed pounds, you also need to maintain a healthy balance of nutrients to keep your heart and other muscles functioning properly.
    Why, exactly, does having ice cream most likely mean you won't maintain a healthy balance of nutrients?

From the USDA:
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/weight-management/better-choices/fewer-calories.html

Regardless of your weight status, empty calories should not be a major part of the diet. For most people, no more than 15% of calories should come from solid fats and added sugars. However, about 35% of the calories Americans typically eat and drink are empty calories. This means that many people choose foods and drinks with TOO MUCH solid fats and added sugars.

Sure you can eat a reasonable amount of ice cream, chips, cookies, etc. But someone trying to lose weight would be best served making sure they know what a serving size is and stay within the 15% suggested for health reasons.

I'm fairly sure there is not a single person on this planet for whom 1 ice cream would consist more than 15% of total calories.

There are 290 calories in a 1/2 cup serving of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream. 290 calories is a bit over 15% of 1900 calories.

This is interesting. A 1/2 cup of B&J is 100+ grams...a 1/2 cup of, say, Breyers Vanilla ice cream is a bit over half of that - 65g and 130 calories.

The difference is almost certainly all the chunky **** B&J throws in there, none of which is actually "ice cream". So a serving of B&J is like a serving of ice cream plus a Snickers bar.

Which is to say...not an apples to apples comparison....

Well the Ben and Jerry's is generally in the ice cream aisle. My only point was someone needs to know what they are eating and per the USDA recommendation I posted most people should not be eating more than 15% of their calories from solid fats and added sugars.

Except for the part where you used the most calorie dense ice cream available for you example. Oh, and the part where you used the number for the Total Calories to reach your number, not just the number of calories from solid fats and added sugars

If you give someone a bowl of normal ice cream and a Snickers bar, it's two things.

But chop that Snickers bar into pieces and mix it into normal ice cream and somehow what you end up with is still just ice cream?

That's not honest debate...

(not "you" DevPaul)
    Don't forget, this is the same forum where it's widely believed that if you drop some tea leaves into a glass of water, the water stops being water.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes, It will work. But you won't end up with a "toned" body.

BS. You get a "toned" body by having low enough body fat and enough muscle through exercise.

One of the most unattractive bodies I've ever seen belonged to a "pure food" vegan. When he took of his shirt, I wanted to throw up. College student. Thin. SO GROTESQUELY SKINNY-FAT. He managed to be sooooo thin you could see his ribs across the room, and yet he had folds of pudgy skin, like six in a row, down his belly. With clothes on, you could tell his was pasty and unhealthily thin from a distance, but you couldn't see the weird fat (and still have never seen anything like it in my life). The entire team whispered about that for a good month.

But, you know, he ate "clean." So he must have really be toned.

That poor guy. Maybe it was bad luck in the genetic pool? Either way, making fun of someone because of their body is not cool.

No. He did it to himself. His diet was SUPER disordered...he would only eat what he considered to be "healthy" foods which actually meant that he had long-standing, severe deficiencies because so much was forbidden to him. I think he was an example of a severe orthorexic. It's pretty astonishing what harm you can do to your body when you think you're doing the right thing and you fear too many foods.

It's the kind of deficiencies that are super, super, SUPER rare among any type of moderate diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Where is "all over the Internet" that states calorie counting does not work?

The internet has many corners, but depending on the kind of weight loss/diet sites you frequent you could be getting that message a lot. The Whole30 people are into it, and that annoying Jonathon Bailer guy who wrote a book on how calories don't matter has been on tons of diet sites and podcasts, and certain segments of the low carb community are into it, and a lot of the "clean" and paleo people in general. I can see how someone would have that impression.

Obviously, it is wrong.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I am surprised that ice cream and pizza were singled out as potentially "unhealthy" choices. Both have lots of good things in them. Both are higher in fat so portions need to be watched. Load up that pizza with veggies and the macro balance is nearly perfect! That fat compensates by being highly satiating however.

Yes. Also, even if you have issues with particular ingredients (like whatever dye or certain kinds of oils) you can get ice cream or pizza that lacks them. I usually get thin crust pizza at a local Italian restaurant with lots of veggies, and find it bizarre that it's "junk" food -- no more so than any pasta dish at the same restaurant (which means no more so than the healthy pasta dishes I make at home).

My only issue with pizza is that I tend to prefer it without meat more often than not and the meat choices are often (not always) more fatty, so that means that I usually have to adjust earlier in the day to meet my protein macro. It's not that hard.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i make my own pizza ( with normal crust)
    All fresh veggies...own made tomato paste, fresh Italian spices and herbs. cheeses, mozzarella, olives, meat and anjovis.

yummie scrummie and i dont care how unhealthy it is. Or healthy!

• Steelkid
    Steelkid Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I eat ice cream once a week.... Am I safe?

No. Statistics show that everyone who eats ice cream--even once--will die.

Haha, this is a pretty cool site I must say.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I skipped most of the posts because this obviously hit a chord.

In general, I agree with the questions of what is unhealthy about ice cream and pizza. If you've ever watched a pizza being made, you would notice (I'm not sure about Domino's), a bit of olive oil, tomato sauce, and cheese (mozzerella is relatively low fat) on some bread that gets baked in the oven. I am always clueless about what people find unhealthy about that.

those ingredients are fine on their own, but when you mix them together they taste too good. everyone knows that food shouldn't be delicious or enjoyable to eat. if it makes you happy its obviously bad
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    LdyJedi wrote: »
    You may lose weight, but you will most likely not have a healthy body otherwise. While a caloric deficit will help you shed pounds, you also need to maintain a healthy balance of nutrients to keep your heart and other muscles functioning properly.
    Why, exactly, does having ice cream most likely mean you won't maintain a healthy balance of nutrients?

From the USDA:
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/weight-management/better-choices/fewer-calories.html

Regardless of your weight status, empty calories should not be a major part of the diet. For most people, no more than 15% of calories should come from solid fats and added sugars. However, about 35% of the calories Americans typically eat and drink are empty calories. This means that many people choose foods and drinks with TOO MUCH solid fats and added sugars.

Sure you can eat a reasonable amount of ice cream, chips, cookies, etc. But someone trying to lose weight would be best served making sure they know what a serving size is and stay within the 15% suggested for health reasons.

I'm fairly sure there is not a single person on this planet for whom 1 ice cream would consist more than 15% of total calories.

There are 290 calories in a 1/2 cup serving of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream. 290 calories is a bit over 15% of 1900 calories.

This is interesting. A 1/2 cup of B&J is 100+ grams...a 1/2 cup of, say, Breyers Vanilla ice cream is a bit over half of that - 65g and 130 calories.

The difference is almost certainly all the chunky **** B&J throws in there, none of which is actually "ice cream". So a serving of B&J is like a serving of ice cream plus a Snickers bar.

Which is to say...not an apples to apples comparison....

Well the Ben and Jerry's is generally in the ice cream aisle. My only point was someone needs to know what they are eating and per the USDA recommendation I posted most people should not be eating more than 15% of their calories from solid fats and added sugars.

Except for the part where you used the most calorie dense ice cream available for you example. Oh, and the part where you used the number for the Total Calories to reach your number, not just the number of calories from solid fats and added sugars

If you give someone a bowl of normal ice cream and a Snickers bar, it's two things.

But chop that Snickers bar into pieces and mix it into normal ice cream and somehow what you end up with is still just ice cream?

That's not honest debate...

(not "you" DevPaul)
    Don't forget, this is the same forum where it's widely believed that if you drop some tea leaves into a glass of water, the water stops being water.

if i put lemon juice in my water it attains magical liver cleansing properties
  • Muzzoozal
    Muzzoozal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    yes - but try ice cream alternatives - rice cream, sherberts, Arctic Zero (where you can get it) and many other yummy products so you can also eat really healthy other food items
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    spttdb wrote: »
    yes - but try ice cream alternatives - rice cream, sherberts, Arctic Zero (where you can get it) and many other yummy products so you can also eat really healthy other food items

I don't know what rice cream is, sherbet is ok, but under no circumstances should you or anyone else waste a single cent on ARCTIC ZERO.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Oy...if I'm going to use calories for a treat, it's going to be full fat, creamy, sugary deliciousness. With chunkies.

I won't eat the whole pint in one sitting. In fact, the pint tends to last me 5-8 servings.

And, because it was a special holiday weekend: B&J's Americone Dream, because 'murica!

And you can bet it's weighed and logged.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yes, It will work. But you won't end up with a "toned" body.

The type of food someone eats has nothing to do with having a "toned" body. Eating fewer calories than you burn will result in loss of body fat, no matter what those calories consist of. And muscle is created through exercise.

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    spttdb wrote: »

I don't know what rice cream is, sherbet is ok, but under no circumstances should you or anyone else waste a single cent on ARCTIC ZERO.

But my grandma always fed me cardboard and sadness and it makes me nostalgic for my childhood.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Snickers Ice Cream Bar - 179 calories
    Mars Ice Cream Bar - 140 calories
    Solero - 94 calories
    Fab - 90 calories

that is all
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread and ice cream every day. I set aside calories for food I enjoy and also eat salad, veg and some fruit every day. I have lost 9 lbs in 4 weeks so it does work. I have 1500 calories a day and usually eat most of the
    Is. I do not use calories burned through exercise and I am active every day