If I eat an ice-cream everyday, but stay under the calorie limit, will it still work?

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Oy...if I'm going to use calories for a treat, it's going to be full fat, creamy, sugary deliciousness. With chunkies.

I won't eat the whole pint in one sitting. In fact, the pint tends to last me 5-8 servings.

And, because it was a special holiday weekend: B&J's Americone Dream, because 'murica!

And you can bet it's weighed and logged.

You. I like you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I am surprised that ice cream and pizza were singled out as potentially "unhealthy" choices. Both have lots of good things in them. Both are higher in fat so portions need to be watched. Load up that pizza with veggies and the macro balance is nearly perfect! That fat compensates by being highly satiating however.

Yes. Also, even if you have issues with particular ingredients (like whatever dye or certain kinds of oils) you can get ice cream or pizza that lacks them. I usually get thin crust pizza at a local Italian restaurant with lots of veggies, and find it bizarre that it's "junk" food -- no more so than any pasta dish at the same restaurant (which means no more so than the healthy pasta dishes I make at home).

My only issue with pizza is that I tend to prefer it without meat more often than not and the meat choices are often (not always) more fatty, so that means that I usually have to adjust earlier in the day to meet my protein macro. It's not that hard.

That's my issue with it too. I like olives, goat cheese, and pesto on mine along with the veggies. I have a harder time filling my protein macro on pizza days. But it can be done, and my homemade pizza is worth it. ;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    spttdb wrote: »
    yes - but try ice cream alternatives - rice cream, sherberts, Arctic Zero (where you can get it) and many other yummy products so you can also eat really healthy other food items

I don't know what rice cream is, sherbet is ok, but under no circumstances should you or anyone else waste a single cent on ARCTIC ZERO.

So. Much. This.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    yes - but try ice cream alternatives - rice cream, sherberts, Arctic Zero (where you can get it) and many other yummy products so you can also eat really healthy other food items

I don't know what rice cream is, sherbet is ok, but under no circumstances should you or anyone else waste a single cent on ARCTIC ZERO.

But my grandma always fed me cardboard and sadness and it makes me nostalgic for my childhood.

You win the interwebz.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Life is too short for bad ice cream. I was waiting for the Arctic Zero card to be played. I'm surprised it took 12 pages for it to happen.

Also, when my daughter was nursing, I had to abstain from dairy because she was sensitive to it. Rice Dream was probably the worst of the substitutes. I think there are better dairy free options for the lactose intolerant/vegans out there. I've heard about some good cashew and coconut based choices.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    How can you tell the new formula from the old stuff? I might try it since someone I trust recommended it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Having "an" ice cream everyday and "just" having ice cream is a big difference. Unless you have a medical need for "soft foods" (ei getting your teeth pulled, tonsils removed, mouth or throat surgery, etc), no one would advocate a diet exclusively of ice cream. Though it would be very tasty and would definitely get you your calories.

But having a serving (or two or three, whatever) of ice cream everyday, so long as it fits in your calorie goal and your macros are decent, there's nothing wrong with that.

Dove has some little mini bars that are 60 calories if you are really hard up on your calories and need an ice cream fix. Good Humor and Klondike both make 100 calorie treats. Regular ice cream in pints and quarts usually run 120-180 calories. Haagen Dasz and Ben & Jerry's usually run 240-340 calories. It's all about moderation, planning and enjoying yourself.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Life is too short for bad ice cream. I was waiting for the Arctic Zero card to be played. I'm surprised it took 12 pages for it to happen.

Also, when my daughter was nursing, I had to abstain from dairy because she was sensitive to it. Rice Dream was probably the worst of the substitutes. I think there are better dairy free options for the lactose intolerant/vegans out there. I've heard about some good cashew and coconut based choices.

I think the SoDelicious chocolate is pretty good, largely because I love the hint of coconut with the chocolate and the texture is good. I love dairy and have no reason to avoid it, however, so I generally don't bother with non-dairy frozen dessert alternatives.

I would try a cashew one out of curiosity--I seem to eat lots of nut-flavored gelatoes anyway, so it might be something I'd really enjoy. (My suspicion is that one based on lower-calorie cashew milk--basically water strained through nuts--wouldn't be creamy enough, though, and if you added in enough nuts (as seems to be common with recipes I've found where it's basically water blended with nuts) to help with the texture you'd lose any calorie advantage, but I am willing to keep an open mind until I happen upon some.)
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have room for ice cream almost every night
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I actually like the Artic Zero since they came out with the new formula. I find it pretty creamy and flavorful. So, yes...I buy it and eat it. However if I didn't like it, I wouldn't torture myself eating it as some diet way of making ice cream happen.

Now that I am in maintenance though, I eat it less often since I often have to search for ways to add calories to my day.

I was poking around the googlesphere for a review of the new formula and I found one where the writer was amazed by it...after she dumped a bunch of peanut butter, banana, chocolate syrup and teddy grahams on top.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I only looked at the first few replies and what was on this page. I don't think I want to read the rest of the thread.

I've only gotten to this post. I'm going for it. Because I need some lols today.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I'm going to paraphrase Katherine Heigl's character from The Ugly Truth, "No, yes, F No."
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    ataysrht wrote: »
    The title is just a tiny example. The question I am trying to ask is; if I eat an unhealty food or something which has lots of calories (such as an ice cream, chocolate, pizza etc.) but still stay under the calorie limit, will this diet/lifestyle still work? I am confused because of all these blog posts and videos saying "Why calorie counting does not work" all over the internet.

Thanks, everyone, for helping this newbie. Have a nice day, ladies and gentlemen.

You see these posts because they are marketing their product and/or diet plan and feel the need to discredit the competition. MFP is essentially the weight watchers program, only prior to the internet and mobile tech it was too complicated for the masses to log their calories and determine their TDEE (too much maths), so WW came along and dumbed it down to a point system.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    ~For weight loss: calories in < calories out.
    ~For body composition: get enough protein and do some sort of progresive resistance training
    ~For overall health: get enough fat, micronutrients, water, sleep, rest/recovery, maybe some cardio.
    ~For your sanity: don't eliminate a whole group of foods for no medical reason or foods you can enjoy in moderation.

Moderation, variation, and no unnecessary elimination! :smile:

Wow - we can just shut down the forums after this.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Late to the party...but one more "It worked for me just fine".

<---
  • mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Just to throw another hat into the ring; when I'm cutting I *usually* will opt for a tasty protein shake instead of ice cream.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    ataysrht wrote: »
    The title is just a tiny example. The question I am trying to ask is; if I eat an unhealty food or something which has lots of calories (such as an ice cream, chocolate, pizza etc.) but still stay under the calorie limit, will this diet/lifestyle still work? I am confused because of all these blog posts and videos saying "Why calorie counting does not work" all over the internet.

Thanks, everyone, for helping this newbie. Have a nice day, ladies and gentlemen.

A calorie deficit is all you need for weight loss. Anything that tells you calories don't matter is wrong.
    The type of food you eat is a personal preference. Do yourself a favor and throw out vague labels like unhealthy, clean eating, super food or junk food. Food is food. If you are concerned about health, look at specific nutrients in foods. Some foods are going to give you less nutrients for the amount of calories so you might opt to limit those items or choose something else. You need a variety of foods usually to meet your body's needs. You need protein, fats, carbs, vitamins, and minerals. You can look it up or consult a registered dietician to help figure out how to meet your needs.

I personally have not cut any foods from my diet and have lost 24 pounds. I eat rice, bread, meat, full fat dairy, potatoes, cake, pizza, hamburgers, casseroles, fruits, vegetables, pasta, etc in appropriate portion sizes for my goal.