Calories burnt doing household chores

Options

Replies

• Pcarsley
    Pcarsley Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Like I said I do tend to go at it somewhat and work up a sweat!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Pcarsley wrote: »

I live in Florida, just sitting outside I sweat, doesn't mean I am burning more calories, it just means I am sweating.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    People who log things like housework and cooking as extra calorie-burning exercise are only fooling themselves, IMO.

Your body isn't fooled though.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Logging cleaning strikes me as Fat Logic. What is the purpose? So you have extra calories at dinner? Better to leave your numbers in the red and underestimate your activity so that if you stop losing, you can see why at a glance.

Then again, I don't let my house get so dirty that I'm doing anything truly vigorous most of the time. I don't think mopping floors is burning many more calories than walking across an office or out to a parking lot.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

I live in Florida, just sitting outside I sweat, doesn't mean I am burning more calories, it just means I am sweating.

I live in the same county and I broke a sweat hauling in the trash cans yesterday what do you mean that's not vigorous cleaning
  • Pcarsley
    Pcarsley Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    People who log things like housework and cooking as extra calorie-burning exercise are only fooling themselves, IMO.

Your body isn't fooled though.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Logging cleaning strikes me as Fat Logic. What is the purpose? So you have extra calories at dinner? Better to leave your numbers in the red and underestimate your activity so that if you stop losing, you can see why at a glance.

Then again, I don't let my house get so dirty that I'm doing anything truly vigorous most of the time. I don't think mopping floors is burning many more calories than walking across an office or out to a parking lot.

Actually no. But thanks anyway. Just curious, that's all. This was a particularly thorough clean, I don't do that everyday. I do occasionally have the odd treat if I've done a particularly hard gym session, but sensible about it. All except rare occasions recently where I've been celebrating I have not reached my calorie allowance at all.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/spring-cleaning-how-many-calories-do-you-burn-doing-chores

Mind you, it's Shape so they probably recommend tricep extensions to get rid of bingo wings. :D
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Per this article
    1) <5000 steps.d (sedentary);
    2) 5000-7499 steps.d (low active);
    3) 7500-9999 steps.d (somewhat active);
    4) > or =10,000-12,499 steps.d (active); and
    5) > or =12,500 steps.d (highly active)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

So I get about 5k steps doing my weekly cleaning...2-3 hours. Laundry, scrubbing, bathroom etc...I don't log it.

I feel if your house is dirty enough to break a sweat cleaning it you don't deserve to eat back the calories from cleaning it...that is your punishment.

And to be frank if I see someone logging cleaning on my FL...they are removed. I want serious people on my FL...those who are honest with themselves about their true goals and if you are logging cleaning...that's not you.

IMO

OMG. I am amazed that you really think it's your business what people on your FL log as exercise. Now I see why some people keep their diaries private! WOW.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Contrary to most, I DO log all of my activity, because I have my activity level set as sedentary. I also track my steps, and this motivates me to get up and move around as much as possible at my desk job.

BMR is if you stayed in bed all day.......Sedentary is higher than that.

Steps for different activity levels:

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

I don't usually walk around much when I'm at work. I am at a desk most of the the day. On my days off I get significantly more activity/movement, due to cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. I don't log all of that, but I do log my steps. This motivates me to get in more steps, by talking a walk on my lunch break, getting up every 30 min or so to walk around the building, etc. It works for me, so who's to say I'm wrong?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Sweat really isn't an indicator of working hard or burning tons of calories. :|
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Per this article

So I get about 5k steps doing my weekly cleaning...2-3 hours. Laundry, scrubbing, bathroom etc...I don't log it.

I feel if your house is dirty enough to break a sweat cleaning it you don't deserve to eat back the calories from cleaning it...that is your punishment.

And to be frank if I see someone logging cleaning on my FL...they are removed. I want serious people on my FL...those who are honest with themselves about their true goals and if you are logging cleaning...that's not you.

IMO

OMG. I am amazed that you really think it's your business what people on your FL log as exercise. Now I see why some people keep their diaries private! WOW.

The point is people who do that kind of thing are probably not going to make it ...and if you surround yourself with successful approaches from people who are succeeding you remain motivated and focused to achieve your goals

She's not saying it's her business, she's saying she doesn't want their modus operandi to affect her
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Household chores are normal daily activity and already accounted for, thus to claim them would be double dipping.
    0fv9n5yk3nx9.gif
  • fatcity66
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Per this article

IMO

The point is people who do that kind of thing are probably not going to make it ...and if you surround yourself with successful approaches from people who are succeeding you remain motivated and focused to achieve your goals

She's not saying it's her business, she's saying she doesn't want their modus operandi to affect her

I've lost 35 pounds so far, but I guess I'm not "successful" enough.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

Sweat really isn't an indicator of working hard or burning tons of calories. :|
    I
    Per this article

IMO

That's not true. I did it when i started out. Saw later it didn't mske sense and then started to find real exercises. Hanging around and seeing what others do is the correction that is needed.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Contrary to most, I DO log all of my activity, because I have my activity level set as sedentary. I also track my steps, and this motivates me to get up and move around as much as possible at my desk job.

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

I don't usually walk around much when I'm at work. I am at a desk most of the the day. On my days off I get significantly more activity/movement, due to cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. I don't log all of that, but I do log my steps. This motivates me to get in more steps, by talking a walk on my lunch break, getting up every 30 min or so to walk around the building, etc. It works for me, so who's to say I'm wrong?

There's a lot that I do wrt my tracking and weight loss that I don't recommend for others, due to the fact that it is based on my own personal experience with my own body. In general, I find that giving advice in a standard way (i.e., MFP is based on the NEAT method which means XYZ) is, for newbies, more helpful because then it gives them a base setting to work from. They can always adjust their calorie goal up or down from there. But if I told a newbie 40 hour sit in a chair office worker to set his/her activity setting to lightly active and that even then then his/her calorie goal would be around 250 less than actual, all because that is what works for me, I would be giving bad advice because, again, that advice is what works for my body, not for the population at large.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Per this article

IMO

Huh?

But you said

Which means you are losing because you're moving more and logging it appropriately not because you're double dipping

I have a fitbit so all my steps are logged too...if I don't get enough it comes off my calories ...more it get more
  • fatcity66
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Per this article

IMO

Huh?

But you said

Which means you are losing because you're moving more and logging it appropriately not because you're double dipping

I have a fitbit so all my steps are logged too...if I don't get enough it comes off my calories ...more it get more

But you were telling me I shouldn't log those steps, because they are already included in my daily activity...
    I don't have a Fitbit. My phone counts my steps (when I remember to carry it), and then I add them manually to MFP.
    Maybe the way I said it was confusing, but I log those steps on both the days I work and the days I am off.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Per this article

IMO

Even weirder - caring enough to comment on what criteria people use to manage their own personal friend list.
  • fatcity66
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Per this article

IMO

Even weirder - caring enough to comment on what criteria people use to manage their own personal friend list.

She felt the need to share, so I felt the need to comment. And then you felt the need to comment on my comment. So I guess we are all allowed to make our feelings known, huh? Funny how a public forum works, isn't it?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Per this article

IMO

It is a little OTT but as you say it's her list
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Well this got weird.