It's official, I've lost my mind!

Options

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I don't know how my original post ended up going off in this direction but wow!

Thank you all so much for your kind and caring words of concern and thank you for your advice. As the "strong" person in my circle of friends/family it isn't very often that I am asked "How I'm doing" :smile:

I really do hear what you are all saying. But there's a difference between listening/reading something and really hearing it.

A few things to note... not every day is a fat day. I am far from anorexic. I don't always have huge burns/deficits.. sometimes it is the other way around. But yeah, I do admit that I am fairly obsessed with everything exercise and nutrition. Also, I'm working on bumping my calories, but slowly so... props to me for adding a few. lol!

I don't really know what to say about all of this. A couple of years ago when I was super strict with myself a few people were saying this to me as well, I changed it up. Every 30 days I set a new physical and/or nutritional challenge for myself, hit my goal, and change it again.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingdisordersonline.com/explain/anorathletica.php
    Symptoms of anorexia may be denied
    Symptoms of Anorexia Athletica may include over-exercising, obsession with calories, fat, and weight, especially as compared to elite athletes, self-worth being determined by physical performance, and a lack of pleasure from exercising. Advanced cases of Anorexia Athletica may result in physical, psychological, and social consequences as sufferers deny that their excessive exercising patterns are a problem.

People with Anorexia Athletica may have anxiety and feel out of control in their life but that they can control their body and their weight. However, they will often feel guilty if they miss a workout, or don't exercise "enough," and therefore are out of control and at the mercy of this compulsory activity.

Please seek professional help because what you are doing to yourself is not healthy. End of story.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    July 13: Net 25 calories
    July 12: Net 330 calories
    July 11: Net -278
    July 10: Net -441 (this looks to be a parially unlogged day)
    July 9: Net -527
    July 8: Net 44

This continues...
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    People have a certain idea when you say that somebody is anorexia. Like starving your body.
    But there are many kinds

Now i do agree that you need professional help
    Because the EDNOS ( collection of eating disorders) knows many kinds of ED. And my personal opinion is that the OP seems to belong to the Orthorexia nervosa group.

I dont want to give any medical advice here, not my place to do so. But these kinda people take their diet and healthy eating a bit to far. ( simply explained)

So OP seek help, really nothing to be ashamed of. But denying will damage you more in the long term.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    People have a certain idea when you say that somebody is anorexia. Like starving your body.
    But there are many kinds

Because the EDNOS ( collection of eating disorders) knows many kinds of ED. And my personal opinion is that the OP seems to belong to the Orthorexia nervosa group.

I dont want to give any medical advice here, not my place to do so. But these kinda people take their diet and healthy eating a bit to far. ( simply explained)

So OP seek help, really nothing to be ashamed of. But denying will damage you more in the long term.

Actually, I believe the crazy over exercising to compensate for what people think they eat (usually not a large amount of food) is a form of bulimia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_bulimia
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I don't know how my original post ended up going off in this direction but wow!

Thank you all so much for your kind and caring words of concern and thank you for your advice. As the "strong" person in my circle of friends/family it isn't very often that I am asked "How I'm doing" :smile:

I really do hear what you are all saying. But there's a difference between listening/reading something and really hearing it.

A few things to note... not every day is a fat day. I am far from anorexic. I don't always have huge burns/deficits.. sometimes it is the other way around. But yeah, I do admit that I am fairly obsessed with everything exercise and nutrition. Also, I'm working on bumping my calories, but slowly so... props to me for adding a few. lol!

I don't really know what to say about all of this. A couple of years ago when I was super strict with myself a few people were saying this to me as well, I changed it up. Every 30 days I set a new physical and/or nutritional challenge for myself, hit my goal, and change it again.
    As much as you say you're getting it, I don't think you're getting it.

As said previously, you strongly need some professional help. And continuing on as "props to me for adding a few calories" BUT then in a week you're back down onto something else dangerously low since you change it every 30 days, is not good.

Also, why the change every 30 days? Do you think that's a good choice for sustainable eating/exercise goals? Can you see where that alone screams as a red flag?

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I am seeing days when you got 130 minutes of exercise, 96, 70, 140. Those are not a ridiculous amounts of exercise--that's just an active person.

Assuming you are a healthy person with a normal metabolism, you do need to be eating more though.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    I certainly can't go from 1100 calories a day to 2000 so 1400 in a day for me is good. Everyone has some form of body dis-morphia and/or a disordered relationship with food to one extent to another. Otherwise, why would everyone work so hard on losing, gaining, maintaining, etc. Personally I think it's OK to live on the edge... not so much that I develop anorexia, not so much that I put the weight back on, but just walking the line right in the middle. Being careful and strict with exercise and foods and yet letting loose every now and then. A friend of mine went on a "diet" (first mistake), she lost all kinds of weight, was exercising four days a week and was thrilled with her results. She decided she was done... where she wanted to be and went right back to what she was doing before. It's a couple of years later and she's put almost all of her weight back on. She is still happy but now she's getting into making fun of herself and she's talking about getting back into a diet/fitness plan. Up and down is worse than just maintenance. Aside from the occassional "fat" day which I am sure all women have, I am healthy and happy with my body and my results, I'll never stop pushing forward. Yes, fit is priority over thin but after being the fat kid for so many years there's nothing wrong with being the thin woman now. Aside from my diary entries, I eat according to my physical activities. On light days I keep it light, on heavy days I eat more nutrient dense foods even though they may be low in calories. I eat to perform and I eat when I'm hungry and I don't when I'm not. I began this post as a call for support and while I really and truly appreciate the concern this has been going on for years. If you looked at my diary from two years ago and every month following that, you'd see that it's been a journey of trial and error and changing things. Everything is a process. I am happy, but will never be satisfied. Thanks for all of your concern :smile: I am not having a fat day today. Today I feel wonderful and I'm looking forward to a week of healthy eating and awesome exercise.

Bold 1 - No, not everyone has disordered relationship with food, and not everyone has body dysmorphia.

Bold 2 - You most certainly are not eating properly for your physical activities. Hell you're not even eating the bare minimum for a woman a majority of the time.

Bold 3 - Please go seek professional help, this one sentence speaks volumes.
    Exactly this.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    I am seeing days when you got 130 minutes of exercise, 96, 70, 140. Those are not a ridiculous amounts of exercise--that's just an active person.

Assuming you are a healthy person with a normal metabolism, you do need to be eating more though.
    You're right, nothing wrong with that.
    Oh man... today is one of those days that no matter what I do I just feel like a big flabby cow! I hate days like this. Every little thing I put into my mouth makes me feel like I'm going to somehow gain 50 lbs as if by magic! Meanwhile... I worked out this morning - Ran between 5.5 - 8.0 for one hour, did strong lifts followed by some BodyRock core/booty work for 45 minutes. I've consumed 628 calories so far (all nutritious/healthy/clean) slightly over my sodium which is low anyway. I've burnt 1019 calories and am sitting with a deficit of -391. Yet I feel fat and like I need to get in another work out today.
    This thinking is wrong.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    But there are many kinds

Actually, I believe the crazy over exercising to compensate for what people think they eat (usually not a large amount of food) is a form of bulimia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_bulimia

yes i was a bit doubting between those two
    But like i said an expert have to talk to the OP

• BWBTrish
    Options
    btw the thing what made me doubt a bit is the fact would a bulimia patient ask him/herself to workout or not?
    So that was what throws me off a bit.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Symptoms of Anorexia Athletica may include over-exercising, obsession with calories, fat, and weight, especially as compared to elite athletes, self-worth being determined by physical performance, and a lack of pleasure from exercising. Advanced cases of Anorexia Athletica may result in physical, psychological, and social consequences as sufferers deny that their excessive exercising patterns are a problem.

People with Anorexia Athletica may have anxiety and feel out of control in their life but that they can control their body and their weight. However, they will often feel guilty if they miss a workout, or don't exercise "enough," and therefore are out of control and at the mercy of this compulsory activity.

Please seek professional help because what you are doing to yourself is not healthy. End of story.

Oh well hell, this is totally me. Only I don't lack pleasure from exercising in fact exercising/competing/training is just pure joy! I don't think obsessing with training, nutrition, calories, etc. is a problem. I don't push or force my ways or my agenda on anyone and I keep things in check. My life is wonderful, and in control as much as ones life can be :smile: I do feel guilty sometimes when I miss a work out but it has nothing to do with the actual exercise but more of a feeling of letting my MMA community down a bit when I skip out. Dance studio and MMA communities are like family. I do sometimes feel like I don't exercise enough... meaning, I could go on and on and sometimes wonder how far I could push myself. Elite athletes? hell yes, they get elite status by pushing themselves to their limits.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options

Yup and thank you.
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've been to that Brazillian place before! So good... although since I'm not a big meat eater I hung out at the veggie "bar". But that place is so yummy!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Oh well hell, this is totally me. Only I don't lack pleasure from exercising in fact exercising/competing/training is just pure joy! I don't think obsessing with training, nutrition, calories, etc. is a problem. I don't push or force my ways or my agenda on anyone and I keep things in check. My life is wonderful, and in control as much as ones life can be :smile: I do feel guilty sometimes when I miss a work out but it has nothing to do with the actual exercise but more of a feeling of letting my MMA community down a bit when I skip out. Dance studio and MMA communities are like family. I do sometimes feel like I don't exercise enough... meaning, I could go on and on and sometimes wonder how far I could push myself. Elite athletes? hell yes, they get elite status by pushing themselves to their limits.

Elite athletes also eat properly to fuel their bodies, which you are not doing.
  • vanzweb
    vanzweb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would meditate or listen to some guided meditation to erase your current programming. It's hard enough other people drag us down don't do the work for them. :-)
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I do feel guilty sometimes when I miss a work out but it has nothing to do with the actual exercise but more of a feeling of letting my MMA community down a bit when I skip out. Dance studio and MMA communities are like family. I do sometimes feel like I don't exercise enough... meaning, I could go on and on and sometimes wonder how far I could push myself. Elite athletes? hell yes, they get elite status by pushing themselves to their limits.

It is totally ok to love the exercise and the sense of family. I don't like it when I can't get to the gym. It is also okay to push yourself physically if you have a goal (and are not injuring yourself). However, athletes at most levels understand that they need to take care of their bodies and feed their bodies in order to achieve their goals. I love watching MMA and do kickboxing myself. If I have one criticism of MMA it is the weight classes and the cutting of water weight before fights. It makes me ill to see a fighter hooked up to an IV immediately after a fight, or worse having seizures, just so they can fit into a weight class (that isn't good for the body).
  • themonstermash
    themonstermash Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I believe you have an eating disorder
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Michael Phelps is an elite athlete.

Here is how he feeds his body. You barely feed your body at all. If you want to be an elite athlete....feed your body like one.

2762770466_a12448cfa6_o.jpg

Yikes!!!!