Almomd Milk vs. Regular Milk vs. Soy Milk

Options
12345679»

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to use the nut/ soy milks usually anymore because they are fortified with vitamins sometimes and I'm not certain our bodies use added vitamins as well as if it was just the calcium say that comes from cows milk. I'm going with full fat organic/ bio-organic cows for now. I find when I use low fat cows milk or anything else I have to use three times as much in my coffee anyway to get it half as milky anyway! I was also told my a nutritionist that full fat cows milk has more vitamin A and D so I think that's a good thing....more carbs in skim too I believe.

If you are trying to avoid added vitamins then you should avoid cow's milk with vitamin D. The vitamin D is added.

Not the milk I buy in Australia. I just checked. Nothing added, just milk.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    almond for me
  • USA2007
    USA2007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've just converted to almond milk from 2% cow milk. I don't use much milk, just for cereal here and there, etc and the calorie savings (110 a cup for 2% vs 30 Cal a cup for almond milk) and the fact that I genuinely like the taste better made it an easy swap. Can also be used in smoothies and such, and about the same price and shelf life.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Is this about Tres Leches cake?
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I love milk.

In order:
    Blue Diamond - Unsweetened Breeze Almond Milk Coconut Milk Blend
    Trader Joe's - Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    Trader Joe's - Unsweetened Coconut Milk (I add my own vanilla)
    Kirkland Signature (Costco) - Homogenized Milk - Vitamin D - Grade A - Pasteurized

Then there's canned coconut milk, kefir, rice milk is tolerable, and then eagle brand condensed milk - omg.

All depends on what my macro/calorie goals are at the moment.
  • USA2007
    USA2007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love milk.

In order:
    Blue Diamond - Unsweetened Breeze Almond Milk Coconut Milk Blend
    Trader Joe's - Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    Trader Joe's - Unsweetened Coconut Milk (I add my own vanilla)
    Kirkland Signature (Costco) - Homogenized Milk - Vitamin D - Grade A - Pasteurized

Then there's canned coconut milk, kefir, rice milk is tolerable, and then eagle brand condensed milk - omg.

All depends on what my macro/calorie goals are at the moment.

Would love to be able to find the blue diamond unsweetened coconut almond blend but haven't saw it! I use the blue diamond unsweetened almond, and am going to try coconut too next trip to the grocery store. I live in a smallish college town without a specialty grocery though, best we have is a publix so I don't have access to some things. Would LOVE a whole foods, fresh market or trader joes. Just took a trip to FM on vacay and was in heaven.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is horrible in coffee that's the main reason I gave it up. It's the only thing I use milk for usually.
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk. Regular milk upsets my stomach, soy milk has an estrogenic affect on women and I cant have soy due to thyroid issues. So almond milk works perfect!
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I don't normally drink milk alone--just use it to mix in my shakes; buttttt. I switched to unsweetened almond milk since the talk of hormones in soy milk. I didn't want to risk anything since I have PCOS. I think it tastes nice, but I like soy milk better if I were to drink them alone.

Regular milk always wins, though, in my book.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Recently I have been hearing about Soy being bashed as not as healthy as it was intially portrayed as. Doctor recommended coconut milk or almond milk to my wife when she was diagnosed with Crohns since she is also lactose intolerant. Here is just one article.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/335485-soy-products-and-health-problems/

The one thing the doctor mentioned was the research going with soy and impacts to thyroid. I have no idea what is true what is not. Just know doctor recommended Almond and coconut over Soy.