Options

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    Today I had homemade crepes and strawberry filling (strawberries and sugar warmed up and mashed) for brunch, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and cherries for dinner, and a piece of dark chocolate for dessert. I'm very full and satisfied and it was all delicious!

And I'm still under 1000 calories.

It's about portion control, not dieting. Don't worry about avoiding foods because they're "bad for you." Sure, some things don't lead to a healthy lifestyle, but having sugary or fatty foods in moderate amounts isn't going to kill you.

We're all going to die someday, so don't make yourself miserable. But, at the same time, I'm so much happier when I'm healthy.

Eating well is hard, being overweight is hard... chose your hard.

That's fine for you, but not enough volume of food for most people. You are way over simplifying.

Except that it really is that simple.

Only it's not, not for everyone. Simple in theory, maybe, but not in practice. Every person is different. Emotional eating, hormonal changes, complex biochemistry in everyone that is different...eating "in moderation" and changing your mindset and behaviors can be FAR from simple for many people.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Well as long as you are sure you are being accurate, although its going to be hard for people to help you if one day you need it because they wont be able to see that in your logging and will assume you don't know what you are consuming and eating more then you think you are.

My diary and logging are for me, I don't mind other people looking at them, but that's how recipes are logged. There's nothing I can do about that. I weigh every single thing I put in my mouth unless I just don't have access to a scale, I am EXTREMELY accurate. I don't really need help as far as what I eat, and if I decided that I needed help I would probably mention in my post that "servings" are either based off a recipe or something actually weighed exactly what the serving size says.

Sorry but 3 servings of 'sweet crepes with strawberry filling' has way more than 309 calories and 39 grams of carbs.

Same goes for meatloaf. 3 servings for 284 calories? I don't think so.

I'm sorry but did you read the rest of my comments? I guarantee all of that is completely accurate.

Do you mind sending the recipes for the crepes and meatloaf you made?

Sure:
    Meatloaf: 6 servings (I ate 3)
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot
    46 gram egg (a medium sized egg)
    40 grams bread crumbs (Great value whole wheat)
    a little garlic, salt, and pepper (not enough to even show up on the scale)

Potatoes: 2 servings (I ate 1)
    231 grams potatoes
    23 grams butter (about 2 tbs)
    1/3 cup 1% milk
    plus a little salt and garlic for flavor

Crepes: 4 servings (I ate 3 because I burned one)
    62 grams enriched wheat flour
    49 gram egg (medium sized egg)
    1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Thanks for the recipes! The calorie counts are more believable after seeing the recipes. Each serving is obviously on the small side.

If you think those servings are small then you probably have a very skewed view of how much you should be eating. I can't see how anyone could eat more than 3 crepes with filling. The meatloaf was a total of 210 grams, and the potatoes were about 153 grams. Of course, I ate some other things for dessert... but I honestly wouldn't have eaten more than that even when I wasn't trying to lose weight.

Based on your diary, your diet is mainly comprised of carbs. You eat very little protein from what I can see. For example, crepes would never be satisfying or filling for me because they are made up of entirely carbs and little to no protein. You ate 3 breadsticks for dinner one night… I personally wouldn't call that a dinner. I like well-balanced meals with a similar ratio of carbs, protein, and fat.

I can make assumptions too.

I ate 3 breadsticks for dinner because I ate a really large snack and my parents surprised me by showing up at my apartment and taking me out to dinner. (and since that's a 2 hour drive for them and they just came to fix my car I couldn't really say "no") I still had 50 grams of protein that day and my daily goal is 60.

I have balanced days and weeks, not necessarily balanced meals because dinner is often the only meal I can eat at home.

Sure, I eat carbs because they're filling, but I also eat a lot of protein throughout most days.

You also have a much higher calorie goal than I do, my protein and carbs are just about on point for the amount of calories I actually consume.

I eat things I enjoy, I am healthy and consistently losing weight. I stay under my calorie goal. I meticulously weigh every single thing I eat.

Frankly, looking at your diary I feel I would be extremely bored with your diet.

The whole point of the original post is that she doesn't like having to worry about what she eats. Dieting is awful and boring, and while I love healthy food I want people to know that you don't have to have "forbidden foods" or be restrictive to lose weight and to be healthy.

I personally don't consider 50-60 grams of protein/day a lot of protein. You might- that's fine.

I eat the way I eat because I have medical conditions that require me to do so. I also eat the way I do because it makes me feel my best and keeps me out of the hospital.

No where have I said that there's anything wrong with incorporating foods you enjoy into your diet. I ALWAYS tell people to eat the foods they enjoy in moderation because eliminating foods leads to binges and yo-yo dieting.

60 grams is enough because my calorie goal is 1200. Your calorie goal appears to be 2000 so more protein is required. It's a ratio, there's NO way I could reach more than MAYBE 70 grams of protein and still stay under my calorie goal.

You're upset because I said your eating was boring, but you eat that way because you have to. So why are you condemning how I eat?

You might be surprised to learn that even though MFP does do macros by percentages, 50g of protein is the absolute minimum you should get no matter how many calories you eat. Even on a medically supervised VLCD, 50g is usually the minimum. Protein grams aren't as affected by how many calories you're allowed as you might think!

There seems to be a lot of arguing for no reason, here. She accepted that she was wrong about your meatloaf and crepes, there was no need to continue the argument by saying she has a skewed view on portion sizes. Truth is that she was right. Most average portions of those foods have a lot more calories than what you said. All she was saying was that you said it was x amount of servings but they were smaller servings than she anticipated.

ANYWAY. OP. Dieting doesn't have to be boring! You can still enjoy treats and fit them in your calories, and there are a lot of fun healthy low cal recipes out there on the internet :)

That's some US-standard the rest of the world goes meh over. Here in The Netherlands, the guideline is 0.8 grams per kilo body weight. So for me that's ~43 g a day.

I also don't have much to lose as I gained my weight by going just over maintenance pretty much every day with a bag of potato crisps. I cut that out, eat 1200 - 1300 cal as I always used to do naturally and added a work-out every day. I'm not going to take four months to lose 8 lb, tyvm. I just want to drop the weight and get on with my life, minus the crisps. So yes, for me it is a sprint. Stop faulting people who are in a situation different from yours. You have no idea what our situations are like and how our bodies react. I'll trust my doctor and dietitian, if you don't mind, and live happily off of 1200 (plus a bit on heavy exercise days) for two months so I can go back to maintenance at around 1900 calories. Your truth is not universal, okay?

And OP? Restricting sucks. And as much as it's a life style change, it will probably only feel like that once you go into maintenance. All the tools you learned while restricting should help you over indulge then. You can do this!

Your diary shows you consistently net under 1000 calories, but keep telling yourself that.

Why do you keep attacking people?

Pointing out the fact that her diary shows she nets under 1000 calories is definitely not attacking.

What's wrong with netting under 1000 calories if she's losing at a reasonable rate? The exercise calories and calorie intake calculations are estimates only, what matters is the results.

Eating under 1200 calories is unhealthy and dangerous unless under constant medical supervision. Chances are she is not and is netting under 1000 calories for fast results- as she already stated.

What matters is losing weight in a healthy manner- a manner that is sustainable and ensures adequate nutrition.

There's a big difference between netting under 1200 and eating under 1200. I see no problem with netting under 1200 with exercise for people losing at a healthy rate.

No, there isn't because essentially they still consumed under 1200 calories due to burning off x amount of calories from exercise.

If I ate 1400 calories and burned off 500 from exercise, I still consumed 1400 calories. I just created a larger deficit. Again, there's nothing wrong with that if they're losing at a reasonable rate.

You consumed 1400 calories but burned 500 of them- meaning you have a net caloric intake of 900 calories. Constantly netting 900 calories is not sustainable- whether you agree with it or not. Don't try to justify netting 900 calories because no one who has a basic understanding of nutrition will agree with you.

I have more than a basic understanding of nutrition and I agree with me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Macro math....

Assume 200 pound male, 30% body fat -> LBM of 140 pounds

Protein requirement 0.8g/lb-LBM -> 140 * .8 -> 112g protein
    Fat requirement 0.3g/lb-LBM -> 42g fat
    Carb requirement -> ~100g/day prevents all sub-optimal metabolic changes

That's 1200 calories/day to meet all macro requirements. Pop a couple of no-cal multivitamins and a couple of EFAs and all micro requirements are more than covered.

Change the assumption to a 150 pound woman (at goal weight) and you're at 900 calories. A 120 pound woman...well, you can do the math, it scales with weight.

I'm not advocating any of this. But the gospel around here that people can't meet requirements going below 1200 calories is flat out wrong. PSMF is a well-understood, extremely effective and safe way to lose weight, for those with the mental discipline to eat that "clean".

What *does* happen below 1200-ish is you have to pay much more attention to what you are eating - that's it. And the lower you go, the more important it is to eat exercise calories back, or you will crash, hard.

Again - not advocating any of this - and everybody should consult with their medical practitioner before embarking on any substantial weight loss program.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well as long as you are sure you are being accurate, although its going to be hard for people to help you if one day you need it because they wont be able to see that in your logging and will assume you don't know what you are consuming and eating more then you think you are.

My diary and logging are for me, I don't mind other people looking at them, but that's how recipes are logged. There's nothing I can do about that. I weigh every single thing I put in my mouth unless I just don't have access to a scale, I am EXTREMELY accurate. I don't really need help as far as what I eat, and if I decided that I needed help I would probably mention in my post that "servings" are either based off a recipe or something actually weighed exactly what the serving size says.

Sorry but 3 servings of 'sweet crepes with strawberry filling' has way more than 309 calories and 39 grams of carbs.

I'm sorry but did you read the rest of my comments? I guarantee all of that is completely accurate.

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Thanks for the recipes! The calorie counts are more believable after seeing the recipes. Each serving is obviously on the small side.

If you think those servings are small then you probably have a very skewed view of how much you should be eating. I can't see how anyone could eat more than 3 crepes with filling. The meatloaf was a total of 210 grams, and the potatoes were about 153 grams. Of course, I ate some other things for dessert... but I honestly wouldn't have eaten more than that even when I wasn't trying to lose weight.

Based on your diary, your diet is mainly comprised of carbs. You eat very little protein from what I can see. For example, crepes would never be satisfying or filling for me because they are made up of entirely carbs and little to no protein. You ate 3 breadsticks for dinner one night… I personally wouldn't call that a dinner. I like well-balanced meals with a similar ratio of carbs, protein, and fat.

I ate 3 breadsticks for dinner because I ate a really large snack and my parents surprised me by showing up at my apartment and taking me out to dinner. (and since that's a 2 hour drive for them and they just came to fix my car I couldn't really say "no") I still had 50 grams of protein that day and my daily goal is 60.

I have balanced days and weeks, not necessarily balanced meals because dinner is often the only meal I can eat at home.

Sure, I eat carbs because they're filling, but I also eat a lot of protein throughout most days.

You also have a much higher calorie goal than I do, my protein and carbs are just about on point for the amount of calories I actually consume.

I eat things I enjoy, I am healthy and consistently losing weight. I stay under my calorie goal. I meticulously weigh every single thing I eat.

Frankly, looking at your diary I feel I would be extremely bored with your diet.

The whole point of the original post is that she doesn't like having to worry about what she eats. Dieting is awful and boring, and while I love healthy food I want people to know that you don't have to have "forbidden foods" or be restrictive to lose weight and to be healthy.

I personally don't consider 50-60 grams of protein/day a lot of protein. You might- that's fine.

I eat the way I eat because I have medical conditions that require me to do so. I also eat the way I do because it makes me feel my best and keeps me out of the hospital.

No where have I said that there's anything wrong with incorporating foods you enjoy into your diet. I ALWAYS tell people to eat the foods they enjoy in moderation because eliminating foods leads to binges and yo-yo dieting.

60 grams is enough because my calorie goal is 1200. Your calorie goal appears to be 2000 so more protein is required. It's a ratio, there's NO way I could reach more than MAYBE 70 grams of protein and still stay under my calorie goal.

You're upset because I said your eating was boring, but you eat that way because you have to. So why are you condemning how I eat?

You might be surprised to learn that even though MFP does do macros by percentages, 50g of protein is the absolute minimum you should get no matter how many calories you eat. Even on a medically supervised VLCD, 50g is usually the minimum. Protein grams aren't as affected by how many calories you're allowed as you might think!

There seems to be a lot of arguing for no reason, here. She accepted that she was wrong about your meatloaf and crepes, there was no need to continue the argument by saying she has a skewed view on portion sizes. Truth is that she was right. Most average portions of those foods have a lot more calories than what you said. All she was saying was that you said it was x amount of servings but they were smaller servings than she anticipated.

ANYWAY. OP. Dieting doesn't have to be boring! You can still enjoy treats and fit them in your calories, and there are a lot of fun healthy low cal recipes out there on the internet :)

That's some US-standard the rest of the world goes meh over. Here in The Netherlands, the guideline is 0.8 grams per kilo body weight. So for me that's ~43 g a day.

I also don't have much to lose as I gained my weight by going just over maintenance pretty much every day with a bag of potato crisps. I cut that out, eat 1200 - 1300 cal as I always used to do naturally and added a work-out every day. I'm not going to take four months to lose 8 lb, tyvm. I just want to drop the weight and get on with my life, minus the crisps. So yes, for me it is a sprint. Stop faulting people who are in a situation different from yours. You have no idea what our situations are like and how our bodies react. I'll trust my doctor and dietitian, if you don't mind, and live happily off of 1200 (plus a bit on heavy exercise days) for two months so I can go back to maintenance at around 1900 calories. Your truth is not universal, okay?

And OP? Restricting sucks. And as much as it's a life style change, it will probably only feel like that once you go into maintenance. All the tools you learned while restricting should help you over indulge then. You can do this!

Your diary shows you consistently net under 1000 calories, but keep telling yourself that.

Pointing out the fact that her diary shows she nets under 1000 calories is definitely not attacking.

What's wrong with netting under 1000 calories if she's losing at a reasonable rate? The exercise calories and calorie intake calculations are estimates only, what matters is the results.

Eating under 1200 calories is unhealthy and dangerous unless under constant medical supervision. Chances are she is not and is netting under 1000 calories for fast results- as she already stated.

What matters is losing weight in a healthy manner- a manner that is sustainable and ensures adequate nutrition.

There's a big difference between netting under 1200 and eating under 1200. I see no problem with netting under 1200 with exercise for people losing at a healthy rate.

No, there isn't because essentially they still consumed under 1200 calories due to burning off x amount of calories from exercise.

If I ate 1400 calories and burned off 500 from exercise, I still consumed 1400 calories. I just created a larger deficit. Again, there's nothing wrong with that if they're losing at a reasonable rate.

You consumed 1400 calories but burned 500 of them- meaning you have a net caloric intake of 900 calories. Constantly netting 900 calories is not sustainable- whether you agree with it or not. Don't try to justify netting 900 calories because no one who has a basic understanding of nutrition will agree with you.

It depends on how the calories are burned. If it's from running 8km - yes, those need to be eaten back or trouble is coming. If it's from walking 4 hours, no those don't need to be eaten back, because low intensity exercise can fuel from stored fat, and the more you have of it, the more you can fuel.

You are constantly jumping to absolutes, which aren't correct, and aren't helping your case.
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Today I had homemade crepes and strawberry filling (strawberries and sugar warmed up and mashed) for brunch, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and cherries for dinner, and a piece of dark chocolate for dessert. I'm very full and satisfied and it was all delicious!

And I'm still under 1000 calories.

It's about portion control, not dieting. Don't worry about avoiding foods because they're "bad for you." Sure, some things don't lead to a healthy lifestyle, but having sugary or fatty foods in moderate amounts isn't going to kill you.

We're all going to die someday, so don't make yourself miserable. But, at the same time, I'm so much happier when I'm healthy.

Eating well is hard, being overweight is hard... chose your hard.

Way to go katey, I take my favorite recipes and I simplified them, I take all of the extra stuff out that is not needed, plus I get rid of the salt and it really does lower the calories that way the taste is still there but not all the calories! :)

• KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

I think the majority of people on here have a basic understanding of nutrition, but you're the only one making these claims. Suspicious.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

I think the majority of people on here have a basic understanding of nutrition, but you're the only one making these claims. Suspicious.

You clearly didn't take the time to read any of the links I directed you to last night. You would then see how many people agree with me.

Also, the search feature works wonders for this sort of debate :)
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

You clearly didn't take the time to read any of the links I directed you to last night. You would then see how many people agree with me.

Also, the search feature works wonders for this sort of debate :)

http://bringmethenews.com/2014/10/23/rethinking-weight-loss-all-calories-are-not-created-equal/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

No actually, she's right... Especially at your age, you're probably burning muscle as much as fat eating so little.

But I'm also jealous that you can feel 'full' on so few calories. I totally get what OP is coming from, honestly. Even at maintenance, I still feel like I'm 'dieting'. Eating everything in moderation and not depriving yourself is nice and all, but half the time, if I do that, I'm starving and I get hangry. And that's with 2200 calories a day (ok, I'm back to cutting now - or at least trying to - after going in vacations and probably gaining a couple pounds). Crepes for breakfast/lunch? With no protein? I'd be starving within an hour (and my crepes are about 110-120 calories, so yeah, it seems about right).

Bottom line is that for some people, losing weight and maintaining a weight loss is much harder than just calories in, calories out. And it has nothing to do with 'doing it wrong'. It's a constant struggle to choose between eating something that will satisfy my sense of taste or something that will satisfy my stomach, basically. Because I'll never like veggies as much as I like sweets.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

No actually, she's right... Especially at your age, you're probably burning muscle as much as fat eating so little.

But I'm also jealous that you can feel 'full' on so few calories. I totally get what OP is coming from, honestly. Even at maintenance, I still feel like I'm 'dieting'. Eating everything in moderation and not depriving yourself is nice and all, but half the time, if I do that, I'm starving and I get hangry. And that's with 2200 calories a day (ok, I'm back to cutting now - or at least trying to - after going in vacations and probably gaining a couple pounds). Crepes for breakfast/lunch? With no protein? I'd be starving within an hour (and my crepes are about 110-120 calories, so yeah, it seems about right).

Bottom line is that for some people, losing weight and maintaining a weight loss is much harder than just calories in, calories out. And it has nothing to do with 'doing it wrong'. It's a constant struggle to choose between eating something that will satisfy my sense of taste or something that will satisfy my stomach, basically. Because I'll never like veggies as much as I like sweets.

You're basing this claim off of her age? That's nonsense, you don't have enough information to say that with certainty.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

You're basing this claim off of her age? That's nonsense, you don't have enough information to say that with certainty.

No, but she's younger, so she naturally burns more calories, so by eating 900 calories net her deficit is pretty huge. The lower your weight, the higher your deficit, the more likely you are to burn muscle... I thought it was common knowledge. I guess not. But sure, she can lose weight that way, and she can maintain the loss just fine. She's just likely to lose a bunch of muscle mass as well, especially eating so little protein.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited July 2015
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

We don't need any more information. We know all we need to.
    • She is a 20 year old female
    • She wants to lose weight as fast as possible
    • She is aiming to lose 1.5 pounds a week
    • She has 17 pounds left to lose
    • She is eating 1200 calories a day (usually netting below 1200 actually)
    • She is losing weight at an aggressive rate

End of discussion.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

• She is eating 1200 calories a day

End of discussion.

1.5 pounds is aggressive, but reasonable. Age has nothing to do with it if her rate of loss is constant.
  • jswmom
    jswmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

So basically, 3 small meat balls. I don't have trouble believing the calorie count then.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

• She is eating 1200 calories a day (usually netting below 1200 actually)

End of discussion.

How is any of this any of your business?

She is an adult...if she wants your advice she can ask for it.

I don't always agree with other peoples dietary approach. However...unless they ask...it is none of my business. Katey didn't ask anyone to review her diet. This thread is not about how much she eats...what she eats...when she eats nor is it about if she uses a fork or her fingers.

• KateSimpson17
    Options
    jswmom wrote: »
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

So basically, 3 small meat balls. I don't have trouble believing the calorie count then.

Small meatballs, no. These meatloafs are the size of a normal cupcake. we've already had this discussion.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

• She is eating 1200 calories a day

End of discussion.

1.5 pounds is aggressive, but reasonable. Age has nothing to do with it if her rate of loss is constant.

Eh, many people here would disagree.

Our point is that she is young and naturally burns more calories. She has a small amount of weight to lose so she could afford to eat more calories. When you lose weight at the rate she is and eat as little as 40-60 grams of protein a day, you are losing a good deal of muscle mass. The goal of weight loss is to keep as much muscle mass as possible.

She can choose to take our advice or not. She will learn one way or another.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

When you lose weight you're almost always going to burn muscle as well as fat. I never said anything about that. It has nothing to do with how old I am or how fast I'm losing weight.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited July 2015
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

When you lose weight you're almost always going to burn muscle as well as fat. I never said anything about that. It has nothing to do with how old I am or how fast I'm losing weight.

Yup, but you can reduce that by eating more protein, eating more calories, and losing weight at a slower rate. Like I've been telling you this whole time.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited July 2015
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Yup, but you can reduce that by eating more protein, eating more calories, and losing weight at a slower rate. Like I've been telling you this whole time.

The dominant factor in fat:muscle ratios during weight loss is genetics.