Why is it so hard for me to cut out processed food?

Options

Replies

• cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Get it all out of your house and donate it to a food shelter. Only buy whole foods and you will be amazed that when you are really hungry how good the only thing in the house tastes. Your tastes buds will change over time, and you will no longer desire the processed taste, calories and logical realization it is just not good for your body will also takeover. Good Luck, and also try a new whole food every time you feel up to it which will increase as the processed foods are out. :flowerforyou:
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    LOL @ considering a letter from a tinfoil hat nutbag "evidence"

25 year old epidemiological study with self-reported symptoms. EL-OH-EL.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    LOL
    Ad hominem and fear mongering. No actual evidence I see.

I suppose this guy is nothing but a shill too.

http://www.marklynas.org/2013/04/time-to-call-out-the-anti-gmo-conspiracy-theory/

From your FDA buddies, shill:
    http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Jan03/012203/02P-0317_emc-000199.txt

You going to call BS on that too?

I have no problem with science making better food and helping people, its when the obvious results of negative effects on humans is ignored to fatten the profit margin that angers me.

If it's so obvious you should have been able to produce actual evidence, not garbage

You two shills are great. I love it. Who cares, keep it up. As long as lying makes you money, big deal right? Life's too short, put your GMO's where your mouth is and enjoy it.

/plonk

BRB can't tell the difference between aspartame, HCFS, and GMO's
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I do question if HFCS is any different than regular table sugar.

Yes there is...a HUGE difference. Aside from the shills in this thread, go to your doctor and have him do a blood sugar test as a baseline. Consume HFCS; do another test. Go back to baseline, consume sugar and do another test.

The results will surprise you.

HFCS is pure poison and horrible for human consumption. For you shills that will argue with me, don't waste your time....and don't forget your T-shirt.

gmo_shill_t_shirt-r0104768abf3f4fa7bc84b9b0f92c59f6_804gs_512.jpg

wait so what will HFCS do to me?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    LOL
    Ad hominem and fear mongering. No actual evidence I see.

I suppose this guy is nothing but a shill too.

http://www.marklynas.org/2013/04/time-to-call-out-the-anti-gmo-conspiracy-theory/

From your FDA buddies, shill:
    http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Jan03/012203/02P-0317_emc-000199.txt

You going to call BS on that too?

I have no problem with science making better food and helping people, its when the obvious results of negative effects on humans is ignored to fatten the profit margin that angers me.

If it's so obvious you should have been able to produce actual evidence, not garbage

You two shills are great. I love it. Who cares, keep it up. As long as lying makes you money, big deal right? Life's too short, put your GMO's where your mouth is and enjoy it.

/plonk

There are actually a few people in this thread completely making things up, I suggest taking a look in the mirror
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Wasn't the purpose of posting on this thread to help her figure out how to avoid and cut out processed foods?

OP: Processed foods are hard to avoid if you don't do your homework, read the ingredients, and develop an opinion of what your goal is based upon the information you gather. There will always be a debate on what is and isn't good for you, but read into things and educate yourself on it.

I used to love processed foods and thought nothing of it. Once I started making a positive change in my lifestyle, I realized that I actually do enjoy organic food and preservative / additive free whole foods. I don't know everything, or even close to it. That's why I post in the forums to get some info from people who are in the same boat, or have set sail on a better path.

Hope this helps.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    (please keep in mind this is only my opinion, I have done no research, but know many people that cannot seem to kick the processed food "habit")... I think that processed foods are packed full of things that become addictive. Sodium, MSG, etc... so after eating primarily processed foods, your body begins to crave those things if you stop "cold turkey". As you incorporate more and more fresh food into your diet, it will get easier to turn down the processed foods!
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192
    Options
    There are actually a few people in this thread completely making things up, I suggest taking a look in the mirror

Ok, shill, thanks, I'll take YOUR advice....lol....

/baa baa

haa haa haa...

HFCS contains more Fructose compared to regular sugar (imagine that), Fructose INCREASES the hypothalamic activity thus making you feel more hungry and not as full.

Look, if this crap was good for you, MFP wouldn't exist. You going to deny that obesity rates are on the rise?
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    HFCS contains more Fructose compared to regular sugar (imagine that), Fructose INCREASES the hypothalamic activity thus making you feel more hungry and not as full.

Look, if this crap was good for you, MFP wouldn't exist. You going to deny that obesity rates are on the rise?

PALM MEETS FACE
  • g0tr00t
    Options
    PALM MEETS FACE

Exactly, entertainment, thanks. keep it up, you guys make my day. I love shills.

I need to make a bumper sticker that says that.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    PALM MEETS FACE

Exactly, entertainment, thanks. keep it up, you guys make my day. I love shills.

I need to make a bumper sticker that says that.

Never let science get in the way of a deeply held belief...
  • CookNLift
    Options
    Okay I'll say it because I urban dictonary'd it and am still somewhat confused.

What is a shill?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

/baa baa

haa haa haa...

You do know there are different varieties of HFCS with varying ratios of fructose to glucose, correct? Do all varieties have more fructose than sucrose?

If fructose is what makes you hungry, everyone should avoid fruit, correct?

Uh oh, if you want to try and correlate fructose intake to obesity then you should stay away from organic foods, might get diabetes

autorg.jpg

The graph on the left shows organic food sales. The graph on the right shows autism incidence. The graph below shows increases in diabetes. Clearly a connection.
  • g0tr00t
    Options
    Love it, keep going, your responses are like watching a reality show (totally believable).
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

/baa baa

haa haa haa...

So you're one of those who blames processed food's for people being fat.... right. It has nothing to do with the fact that they are physically inactive, lazy, and unmotivated. It's funny how all of the most successful people on this website are those who practice moderation and do not limit certain foods or groups of food. We must all be special snowflakes...
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    ive been eating it pretty much all my life. I guess everything starts at home and that is true. if my parents made healthy choices then when I got older I would have done the same but the way we ate is how I am eating now. of course ive cut back a lot but I am still early in my journey and its hard to give up those quick microwave dinners, lunch meats and other processed foods. I do know how to cook but Ive never cooked anything that was healthy. I guess with time ill get better with it but is anyone else in the same boat as me? it'd be nice to hear how you changed your ba eating habits.

My advice is start one meal or one snack at time. Eating healthy may take some extra time and effort but you will keep used to it.

Some tips that worked for me:

1. For Breakfast make a big pot of steel cut oats Sunday night and divide it up into portions for every day. Steel cut oats takes like 45 mins to make but it's easy - just a simmer and stir kind of thing. To flavor it add spices, dried fruit, nuts, honey, maple syrup, etc.

2. For Lunches I buy organic mixed greens, mini cucumbers, cherry/grape tomatoes, snap peas, and berries. In the morning I grab a little of each and wola you have a salad. I put a mixture of vinegar and oil in a small container for dressing. I also sprinkle seeds and nuts... myself I like chia seeds and hemp seeds.... You could also add cheese to your salads... just buy it pre-shredded to save time. Then for protein.. I add canned, salmon, tuna, hard boiled eggs, or left over meat from a previous meal. Sometimes I buy a rotissiere chicken from my local store and use that almost all week.

3. Replace snacks with fruit and/or veggies. I also love smoked oysters myself.

4. My favorite quick dinner meal: scrambled eggs with the pre-shredded cheese and veggies. My second favorite is fish flilets... frozen, individually frozen, takes 15 mins to thaw one in warm water, then less the 20 mins to cook with a salad. For rice make big protions and freeze it.... then you have microwavable rice chemical free.

5. Protein shakes... buy a high quality protein shake that you like the flavor of. It'll help you get your protein up and it's filling and it's easy to make. I buy a whey, soy, gmo, gluten free one at costco. I like the flavor of it and it's reasonable priced. It has amino acids in it. It's sweetened with stevia.

Eating healthy is a cycle... the more you do it.... the better you get at it..... the more you enjoy it and the less processed food you crave.....

Just start small. Just do the best you can.

If you like to bake look up reciepes for homemade protien bars!
  • CookNLift
    Options

/baa baa

haa haa haa...

So you're one of those who blames processed food's for people being fat.... right. It has nothing to do with the fact that they are physically inactive, lazy, and unmotivated. It's funny how all of the most successful people on this website are those who practice moderation and do not limit certain foods or groups of food. We must all be special snowflakes...

I have to agree and disagree with you on certain parts. People becoming fat, as a majority comes from laziness and being inactive. However, wouldn't it be safe to say that if a person who was in fact inactive and lazy that ate unprocessed foods wouldn't feel the need to consume as much as they would need to processed foods? And if not, wouldn't the processed foods be higher in calories that the organic foods? If you are referring to processed and unprocessed whole foods, then I retract my statement, I just wanted to see what you thought.
  • CookNLift
    Options
    duplicated post.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Im the same...we always ate boxed stuff and went out to eat a lot. Even now, my husband does the shopping and buys mostly prepackaged box stuff because it is cheaper and easier (his words, not mine). Even if he buys a bit of healthy stuff, I dont know how to prepare it, and usually he wont eat it anyway. I used to look for recipes and plan grocery lists and all that but he would avoic buying most of the stuff either because it was too expensive, gross, he couldnt find it, or there were too many ingredients for just one meal. I do have a small garden planted this year, but otherwise I feel like I have to just eat smaller portions of the stuff he likes, plus some canned veggies on the side.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Even now, my husband does the shopping and buys mostly prepackaged box stuff because it is cheaper and easier (his words, not mine). Even if he buys a bit of healthy stuff, I dont know how to prepare it, and usually he wont eat it anyway.

Make learning to cook a priority. Probably some basic spicing issues you're running into. Packaged food should not be a desired alternative.