Why is it so hard for me to cut out processed food?

Options
12346»

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    There are actually a few people in this thread completely making things up, I suggest taking a look in the mirror

Ok, shill, thanks, I'll take YOUR advice....lol....

/baa baa

haa haa haa...

HFCS contains more Fructose compared to regular sugar (imagine that), Fructose INCREASES the hypothalamic activity thus making you feel more hungry and not as full.

Look, if this crap was good for you, MFP wouldn't exist. You going to deny that obesity rates are on the rise?

So you're one of those who blames processed food's for people being fat.... right. It has nothing to do with the fact that they are physically inactive, lazy, and unmotivated. It's funny how all of the most successful people on this website are those who practice moderation and do not limit certain foods or groups of food. We must all be special snowflakes...

I have to agree and disagree with you on certain parts. People becoming fat, as a majority comes from laziness and being inactive. However, wouldn't it be safe to say that if a person who was in fact inactive and lazy that ate unprocessed foods wouldn't feel the need to consume as much as they would need to processed foods? And if not, wouldn't the processed foods be higher in calories that the organic foods? If you are referring to processed and unprocessed whole foods, then I retract my statement, I just wanted to see what you thought.

No, a food being processed doesn't automatically mean that it is higher in calories. Take for instance Fiber one Cereal, there are 60 and 90 calorie versions for a serving. I can name plenty natural foods that are higher in calories.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/g0tr00t

I think he's made all of his posts today, primarily quoting 20-30 year old sources and just calling people shill's. Nice sock puppet account.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/g0tr00t

I think he's made all of his posts today, primarily quoting 20-30 year old sources and just calling people shill's. Nice sock puppet account.

Boy magerum, you must be a barrel of fun. Its cool man, peace to your and your employer(s). Someone has to be a shill for them so it's cool. We all need to eat right? Some better than others. All I want is to help that one person to think "outside of the box". I sleep well at night and if doing what you are doing helps you to sleep well, then kudos to you.

/peace
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Giving up processed food entirely is nearly impossible unless you just have a **** ton of time on your hands. Just make good nutritional decisions...there's no reason to give up processed foods entirely. Make sure you're getting your fruit and veg...get your proper nutrition...get your fitness on...stay within your calorie goals and hit you macros...everything else will follow suit.

It doesn't take a lot of time as implied to cut out processed foods and eat healthy.

Making good nutritional choices means cutting out the processed crap for good. Sorry, but good health does not come from a box, package or the frozen food isle.

There are plenty of cook books available for making quick meals from scratch. Google is your friend.

I agree - I actually spend way LESS time getting food and preparing meals now that I'm on what's essentially a paleo diet. I cook things in the crockpot once, maybe twice a week, which involves chopping up veggies and throwing them in the crockpot with meat and turning it on. The next morning I portion it all out into containers and stick it in the fridge. Reheating takes 3 minutes and I don't have to go anywhere or do anything. And if you want more variety, freeze some of your containers and then make something else in the crockpot and you can alternate what you're eating more often.

And then I just buy veggies, fruit and nuts to snack on all week. Done. Nothing I'm buying or eating even comes with a nutrition label to read - I'm just buying raw produce and meat and spices. And while I used to complain that it took too much time to plan out meals for the week like this, it's only because I hadn't tried it before. Once you do it, you realize you're saving time and money and eating way healthier than you would otherwise. So it's not that it takes more time to cut the processed food from your diet, it only takes planning ahead. And then it actually saves you time.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    First, WTF is a shill?

Just someone who is paid to promote a product, generally without being up front about it. For example: Dr Oz.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty good cook. I recently decided I wanted to go vegetarian. It wasn't a major transition for me, but I needed some new recipes! I think this approach would work well for trying to get off most processed foods, too.

Do your research. Find a recipe that looks good to you and plan to make it during the week. Allow yourself some extra time because it's the first time you're making it! Bound to take a little longer. If you like it, add it to your recipe collection and use it again. If not, ditch it!

I've been looking for 1-2 new recipes every week. When I find one I like, I make it again/more. If I find one I like, but it takes a long time, that will be a special occasion meal. I've found things that took me 40 minutes to make initially take way less time now! It's a learning curve.