WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Ok, I give up. I was back on page 6 and we are up to page 18. I know everyone says it's ok to skim or skip some posts but I really like reading all the posts and keeping up with everyone. Anyway, I'm moving forward from here.

So what have I been up to? I'm still getting in about a 1/2 hour of cardio in the morning before work - either cardio boxing or Zumba on the Wii. Now I'm doing a 30-day Pilates course so that takes about 45 minutes each night. I'm also trying to get my daughter ready to move into her dorm in just 10 days and I'm trying to finish painting bedrooms before the carpet layers come next week.

With all that you would think the scale would be going down but it's gone up two pounds this week instead. But I'm not going to worry about it yet because I know my body will catch up if I keep doing the right things.

I'm thinking of you all daily even if I don't have time to read all your posts.

Linda/IA
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I need to find an alternative exercise I can do until I am able to get back in the pool. The stitches are just right at the water level and it is too difficult to try to hold my arm over my head to keep the area dry. I'm not thrilled about getting back on the treadmill; but, might as well get used to it because it will be my winter exercise.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    I love hearing about everyone's NSV! :)

I will share a recent one of mine. I was able to put on and zip up 2 pairs of casual pants that have not been on my body in over 2 years, basically since I left my job as an Instructional Assistant at the elementary school level. Woot! Woot!

However, the thing that boggles my mind is that I weigh more than I did then?!?!?! But I am definitely leaner. Doing light weight training this time around in addition to cardio (walking) and calorie counting really makes a difference I guess.

Cheri
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Cheri- that is a great NSV.

Grits- isn't there a thing you can buy to protect casts from water that you can use to protect the stitches or a trash bag and tape???
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Mary, is there any reason not to do cardio in addition to the lifting? I think my cardiologist likes me to do cardio.

I downloaded the app and it's really nice, complete with videos. No time yet to sit down with it and figure it out, but I will.

Sylvia
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Cheri - Whooo Hoooooo way to go.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    After seeing all the glamorous pix of fit, skinny, young-looking ladies, I am wondering if I am in the right group LOL.
    I am up a quarter pound since vacation. It might be years before I can post a comparable picture. But I am not giving up! Even if I take to chewing my nails before bedtime.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,927 Member
    Options

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:18,000 steps
    three hours of dog walking
    27 minutes on the exercise bike
    two hour line dance class in the morning
    two hour line dance practice for the fair in the afternoon

smiley-happy032.gifTerri, congrats on not eating at the party and finding a way to do more walking.

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif Mary, you look fabulous in your pictures...the strength training really makes a difference

smiley-happy032.gifMia, my mother says that my first words were "do it self".....what that translates into as an adult is that I will stick to something seeking a solution on my own rather than running for help immediately....I taught myself a lot about computers and my smart phone by tenaciously sticking to the task until I mastered it.

smiley-happy032.gifKatla, I think I was inspired by you to make an appointment for a bone density scan. It has been over two years since my last one. I probably would have done it sooner if it had been as easy to do as an appointment for a mammogram. Here, they send a reminder letter a year after your mammogram and you call and make an appointment. For bone density, there is no reminder and you can't make an appointment without a referral from the doctor's office.

smiley-happy032.gifKelly, welcome...I hope you keep coming back and letting us know your successes and frustrations in meeting your goals.
    smiley-happy032.gif Allison, one of the things they say in Al-Anon might apply to what is going on with Tom ---you didn't cause it, you can't cure it, and you can't control it.....take care of yourself and let him alone to find his way

253149qtzkf0ld22.gif When we practiced our dances for the fair, we talked more about the hats and other props we'll use....the leader is very creative and keeps coming up with new ideas of what to wear. We'll wear black tops and pants with a different hat or scarf or glasses or a combination for each of the ten dances. Fortunately she is keeping track because I'll never remember which is which.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington where we need some rain
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,556 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.35min, 14amph, 2.9mi = 96c
    spin- 40min, 83ar, 92aw, 9-13g, 16.4mi = 261c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.58min, 11.8amph, 1.3mi = 63c
    ride dome 2 costco- 16.04min, 10.3amph, 2.7mi = 167c
    walk in costco - 10.15min =43c
    ride costco 2 hm- 5.56min, 10amph, 1mi = 82c
    total cal 712
  • pipcd34
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    I love hearing about everyone's NSV! :)

I will share a recent one of mine. I was able to put on and zip up 2 pairs of casual pants that have not been on my body in over 2 years, basically since I left my job as an Instructional Assistant at the elementary school level. Woot! Woot!

However, the thing that boggles my mind is that I weigh more than I did then?!?!?! But I am definitely leaner. Doing light weight training this time around in addition to cardio (walking) and calorie counting really makes a difference I guess.

Cheri

that is awesome!!!! i remember that feeling, you should feel very accomplished no matter what the scale says
  • pipcd34
    Options
    well kids, i went to pick up my tramadol, we'll see what 50mg does to me.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,119 Member
    Options
    Sylvia- when you lift heavy your heart rate rises just like cardio. You also burn more calories per/minute. It is like HIIT. So, you don't need to do additional cardio. Muscle is more dense then fat it also burns more calories than fat. Google strong lift.com he explains everything.

Barbie - thanks! I'm sure you have noticed a difference with your own body with the weight training you do. You will have to take pictures of your different outfits!

Cheri - great NSV! Weight training helps! I love it!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Mary you look great!!! I hope to meet you , met Margaret n Toni. Had a great time , shared the journey. The one thing they stressed with the Emily program , not to weigh.. Sounds strange but it works!! Tell weight loss by the fit of your clothes . Gayle Minneapolis
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,119 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    Mary you look great!!! I hope to meet you , met Margaret n Toni. Had a great time , shared the journey. The one thing they stressed with the Emily program , not to weigh.. Sounds strange but it works!! Tell weight loss by the fit of your clothes . Gayle Minneapolis

I am looking forward to meeting all three of you! I don't know what the Emily program is but stronglift 5x5 program also emphasizes the need not to weigh. Take measurements and pictures and you can see the difference. I will have to look up what the Emily program is.

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    Janetr ... So sorry about your BIL. I liked what your grandson said about being present with the Lord when being absent from the body. Wise boy.

Mary ... You look fabulous! Like Sylvia I'm going to look up the app. I've had the most success when I was strength training. And I could sure use some success right about now.

Sylvia ... I've been told by multiple sources that cardio is great for our hearts and general health ... But doesn't do as much for weight loss as calories and strength training. I've seen evidence of this in my own health and others. Something to consider.

Katla ... My doctor agrees with the findings in the report you linked. I do not supplement with calcium... Also makes me physically sick. My mother who has horrific osteoporosis has taken both calcium and D for years with no benefit. I do think each body is different.

Terri ... Who in the world would want to threaten or harm you? Stay safe!

Pip ... Sleep well ... Zzzzz

Alison ... It's a wise person who realizes they can't change others only themselves or their responses. Praying for you.

Today was a better day food wise. Son did fess up with the doctor ... But he lucked out ... Even off plan he lost an inch and a pound ... That's youth for ya!

Have a good evening!
    Beth in WNY

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Sylvia, that pic made me a little thirsty myself. Still laffin’!!! Thanks for sharing.

Carol, so glad you took the opportunity of DH being gone to get some things done. 

Yvonne, your weekend sounds great. I like to do a lot of nothing. Hope ya’ll have a wonderful time. What river?

Mia, glad you had a good time away. Well except that you were also away from logging your food.  That is really an easy one, so I’ll be watching and urging you to do it. I’m glad your boss is off today and maybe you get to ease back into the stress. Take care. We are all with you!!!

Pip, love Floyd and his cool shades. Also like your reflection in his glasses. smiley-cool04.gif

Allison, I think you gave yourself some wonderful advise. (((((Hugs)))))

Jane, glad baby Nathan is recovering. Hope you start to get better soon.

G, so sorry about your ankle!!! Hopefully the ice and rest will do the trick. Are you taking ibuprofen or something for the swelling? Sending healing thoughts.

Mary, OMG at those arms and legs. That’s okay just put the rest of us to shame. Well I shouldn’t include everyone just because I’m out of shape. Way to go gurl, lookin good!! I thought shorts came down to the knees?? LOL

Nancy, do you have one of those TV stations with a consumer advocate? If so you might want to give them a call. I hope you are keeping notes on all these promises and missed appointments. Way to go on the eating front!! Glad there was no gain.

Teri, every time you mention the lion I laugh out loud because it reminds me of when we lived in Milwaukee a couple of hundred years ago. We lived in Brookfield the last 5 years and they kept having a report of siting’s of a kangaroo. This went on for a month or two until it was finally discovered that it was a deer that was missing a front leg. I can’t wait to see what the lion is. The picture on the news looked exactly like a lion. Okay, why is someone threatening you? This has to be good, although not funny at all.

Michele, woo hoo on that belt growing on you! You mean your friend told you that she wants you to drive her to Charlotte to save her the money of going??? And didn’t offer to pay for your gas???? You are already taking your time, yet again. I just couldn’t/wouldn’t ask anyone for that unless I absolutely couldn’t do for myself.

Kelly, welcome. We are always happy to have another Georgia peach with us. You will find this a very supportive and informative group. It sounds like you are doing great and just need to keep doing what you are doing. Come often and share when and what you’d like.

Cheri, congrats on fitting in those pants. The scale is only one little part of the equation. I’d rather wear smaller clothes. Way to go.

Bkrimpet, no chewing on fingernails. That is why we are here is because we need it. You are definitely in the right group. When I look at your home page it appears that you only have 7 pounds to your goal? OMG if I were that close I’d be dancing in the streets. You go gurl.

Congrats on all the successes and huggs to all. I wish you all a happy and healthy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    pill didn't do anything. took another.... maybe that'll do the trick.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Bkrimpet - I want to tell you not to feel that way. We are all here to encourage and support each other. None of us would be here if we didn't have a problem with eating. I have lost 1500# (at least) in my life time. I'm scared to death I'll do it again and gain it all back, just as before. I'm determined not to do that and need all the help I can get from others who understand. My advice on chewing your nails, do like one of the ladies said to do with ice cream, put salt and pepper on them. :) Hang in there you can do it one day at a time. We're here for you.

Janetr OKC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, I have been MIA just reading but not responding. Your journey's are so inspirational, and modivating I log off happy but not posting nothin. :smile:

a journey picture here....2007 Christmas

000_0228_zpseooglru7.jpg

My life has done a 180' since then :-)

Becca (happy in Oregon picking blackberries, and tending her cherry tomatoes)