WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Toni LOL.

Honored to be in your Minnesota friends.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • JoHopkins57
    JoHopkins57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just joined MFP today and I'm so glad to have found this group! My name is Jo and I'm 58 years young. I'm married to my high school sweetheart and we have 2 grown children and 2 precious grandchildren. I live in upstate New York near Saratoga Springs and I'm a "lunchlady" at the local middle school. I'm off for the summer for about another month, so it's a great time to set some goals and get some things done that I don't get to do during the year.
    I've been using Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home DVD's for about a year and the main reason I like them is that no matter what the weather is outside, I have NO excuse to not exercise! I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and being part of the group.
    My goals for August are:

Walk at least 45 minutes/day
    Eat 1200 calories/day
    Drink at least eight 8oz. glasses of water/day
    Lose at least 1 lb./week
    Get the rest of the house organized before going back to work. (I've got a good head start on it!)
    Find more plant-based diet recipes that I can use.

That's about all I can think of for now, but it's a start. :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Pip, you crack me up. But I have to back you up on this one. I think WE should be the judge as to whether or not it qualifies as "inappropriate" so we'll need the particulars. Ha!

AMEN!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: You've had a full "plate" of issues to deal with lately. You're doing a good job getting yourself back on track. The pounds came off before, and they'll come right back off if you stick to your calorie limits. :flowerforyou:

Janet: I've been taking 3 Citracal with D3 tablets every day since I was in my early forties. I've bumped up the D3 to a higher dose and will have to wait until next month to discuss the matter with my doctor. I am so sorry to hear about the struggles of your DBIL. :broken_heart: Sometimes things are just not fair. I love this quotation, "Remember through all of this that to be absent from this body is to be present with the Lord". :heart:

Alison: Your DH is different from Dear Husbands. He is a Darned cuss much of the time. :devil: I know you love him or you'd have left him long ago and hope things work out so you are happy. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Inappropriate touching! Woohoo! THAT is a NSV worth remembering. :bigsmile:

Lisa: Congrats on a good job and the accolades you well deserve. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I have every confidence that you will do well when your friend with cancer comes to visit. You're right about the importance of listening. I don't always pay close enough attention. There are many microbreweries in Oregon and you are right that your son has challenging job. There is also a lot of success for those who get it right. :flowerforyou:

Toni: Why didn't I have that silverware when I was eating too much? Love it! :bigsmile:

I'm going to Zumba with my neighbor this morning after missing for a couple of weeks. She dances, and I take a spin class because my knees won't take the pounding in Zumba. Sometimes we go for breakfast after. I don't know whether that will be the case today.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Katla - So much for my bright ideas regarding the calcium lol Thank you so much for the kind words regarding my BiL. I have to think that he is tired of the pain and struggle. The hardest part is for my sister and the kids/grands. We are never ready to let them go.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Michele, sounds like a good day. Please tell me again exactly what Rummikub is? My CRS degree has been working overtime lately.

DrKatie, why did you say, “I'm packing up the rest of the food tomorrow and delivering it to the landlady.”??? Is that so she can see how much was left? I hope it works out for him to move in Sunday. So great that ya’ll found it.

Tina, thanks for the warning. LOL And we just thought we had to watch for sharks!!!

Laura, welcome. Please tell us a bit more about yourself to help us get to know you. Sounds like a great vacation next week, so have fun. It’s not the food that gets me but the rum punch. Lol Come often and post when you like. It is very helpful if you always remember to end your post with your name. So many ladies don't and then it's hard to respond.

Lisa, sounds like things are moving right along. Keep up the good work but try to work in some rest.

Allison, I know you are really hurting and I don’t blame you. My only thinking is that Tom told you he needed some time and maybe he needed more time than this. If he is trying to figure out what is going on with him it may take a little more sole searching. I just have to agree with the other warnings you got, in that I would be making sure I had control of not only “my” money but “our” money, in case he decided on a sudden move. I hope and pray that things work out but you need to look out for you. You sure do a lot for the man and he could at least show a little appreciation. Just remember: one day at a time. ((((Hugs))))

Heather, first of all I just have to say how much I just love you! You are such a sweetheart. I sure wish you lived closer than across the pond. But anyway, on the subject of your DS. Do you think he does know what you want to talk about or could he be thinking of something worse? If he is stressing over it, putting it off so long doesn’t seem so good. If it is in fact that he want to be able to give support, then I guess that’s different. Although it’s not like you won’t need the support until you tell him about it. Just interesting, but then I’ve heard you Brits are a different sort. Stiff upper lip and all. bleh.gif But I do think it’s very wise of you to keep all those “bees in your bonnet” while your friend is there. I know it’s hard (for me too) but you can do it. Way to go, DH on the free pastis. Have a swig for me. Or just a sip.

Toni, I hope you three ladies know how jealous many of us are!!! So glad ya’ll had a good visit. I’m happy your new venture is working out well and you are still friends with the new boss (Yes, I get that it’s you.). Congrats on the scale moving in the right direction.

Lenora, I’m the same way with my phone and MFP. I can log a meal if I have to but don’t like doing anything else on MFP with it. I’m not crazy about my little tinker toy laptop but I got it just for when I travel so I can stay in touch. At least it has a full keyboard and I can see the 10” screen if I really concentrate. I always had 17” laptops before I got this desktop. Glad you found the place to change your weight.

Colleen, make a mental note, to throw that ice cream out in the morning. I know that salt and pepper can be scraped off the top and who says a little salt might not be good on ice cream. LOL Good for you on the walking and eating right.

Toni, ROFLMAO, that might at least help slow down some heavy duty eating. smiley-laughing001.gif My problem is, I am not above just using my hands. Thanks for sharing, that made my morning.

Jo, welcome. You will find this a very supportive and informative group of ladies. Come often and join right in. I like Leslie Sansone’s walk videos, too. I need to do them more often.

Sylvia, I can’t remember how old you and DH are, but it might not be wise to get him too excited if he is near my DH’s age? Plus, you already have a heart condition, ya know. I don’t know why, but I was thinking about you and your sexy display and it occurred to me that my weight loss journey would have been put to excellent use quite a few years back. That joke the other day about the best form of birth control wasn’t totally off base for me. smiley-shocked001.gif I am just so disappointed with myself that I let myself get so overweight and stay there for so long. And all just because I like food.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I need to get going on my day. Got to go help DH put up the new outside lights on either side of the garage. Cross your fingers for us.

I wish you all a happy and healthy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I found an article on calcium and vitamin D that I find interesting so I'm sharing the link. I do not have an opinion about the source and if you have for or against views about this site, I'd like to hear them. http://jonbarron.org/natural-health/dangers-calcium-supplements#.VcKkVopHbCR

:heart:

Katla
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    when it rains it pours, I know this is trivial but geesh.. my dam_ fit bit flex pooped out ,will not sync whatever I do to it, it has been giving me problems on and off for the last 6 months.
    I am thinking of getting a different kind of tracker and I feel lost without it..
    Barbie~ what kind of tracker do you have? I am looking for one that syncs with bluetooth and computer

Did you talk to customer service @ fitbit? They may help you with this one or even send you a new one.
    Worth a try.
    Later, I see your got it working. That's good
    Chris in MA
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    This picture on Facebook made me thirsty.

omduwgoccsec.jpg
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! I've actually accomplished a lot this AM with hubby gone. LOL
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options

Katla - Interesting article. The only thing I take is cod liver oil. My bones are OK. I have such a varied diet with lots of green veggies, fish and whole grains, not to mention avocados and yoghurt, that I hope I am doing all the right things. It can be very confusing. But I think we all know what is good for us. :laugh:

Heather x. UK
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Janet: You could also try a massage therapist for the sciatica. Still not covered under insurance, but it might be less costly than chiropractic. My husband is a massage therapist, and he's often able to give people with sciatica some relief. You have to find one with an interest in clinical work though, not just relaxation.

Sylvia: {wolf whistle}

Tina: That's it, never going in the Gulf again...

Laura: Oh, lucky you! We went to Jamaica years ago and it was SO beautiful. Hope you have a fabulous vacation! I used to commute to Chicago quite a bit for work, and I really enjoyed the city.

granmallie: So sorry you are going through that. Being left hanging while somebody else figures out their stuff must be frustrating and scary! Do look out for yourself - people we think we know well can do surprising stuff when they feel trapped or pressured.

lhannon06270: Smart decision about the work attire. It's amazing how a little change like that can make such a big difference in employee morale. If I went to a place called Pecos RoadHouse, I wouldn't think twice about the waitstaff being in jeans!

Toni: LOL! I'm not sure those would help... if I were craving hard enough I'd probably just eat with my hands!

I've decided part of the reason for my lack of motivation lately is the weather. I'm not even trying to do much outdoors, but even when I'm inside I'm reluctant to get all sweaty. I hate to be hot, and this time of year it feels like I'm sweaty and stinky all the time. So ready for fall! Of course, where I live I may have to wait until November!

My dad came for a visit last weekend and we ended up spending Saturday night in the emergency room instead of at the ball game. He's been having anxiety attacks that seem to be triggered by hot weather or the prospect of it. Wish he'd see a shrink, but that's very very touchy territory so we have to be careful how we suggest it. He's contemplating selling his house and moving to a senior community, so I anticipate even more anxiety until we get past the move.

My husband is taking this weekend off, and tomorrow we're headed for the river with four close friends. We plan to sit on the porch and do quite a lot of nothing, but we'll also get in some walking and kayaking. We both need the mental break.

-Yvonne in TX

August goals:
    1. Track on MFP every day.
    2. Cardio at least four times a week.
    3. Start and finish a sewing project.
    4. Clear up the back patio so it's ready for guests
    5. Clear out the storage unit (a repeat from last month, alas!)
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have returned from a wonderful trip out to Seattle. Feeling refreshed and relaxed. Sadly, I know that feeling will not last so I am enjoying it while I can. Fortunately my manager is out of the office today and I only had 31 emails waiting for me so I might manage a whole day back at work before my shoulders start inching up around my ears.

July goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day – Fail Just too many days I did not check in let alone log my food. I do not need to wait for a new month or even new day to start over again. Fresh start beginning NOW.
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training – Pass
    Start one hour a week of aerobic exercise - Fail
    Stop Iced tea overload. 24 oz. iced tea daily plus 40 oz. water – Pass

Dusting myself off. Taking a deep breath. Starting anew.

August goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Get at least one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced Tea overload. 16 oz. iced tea daily plus 48 oz. water – 16 oz. is the limit of caffeinated drinks my doctor has set for me. Turns out it doesn’t count as water either so once I have the caffeine under control I’ll still have to up my water consumption. Sigh. One step at a time.

I missed reading about how everyone is doing. Too many pages to get caught up on so I’ll just pick up from here.

Mia in MI

August goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Get at least one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced Tea overload. 16 oz. iced tea daily plus 48 oz. water

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - love the picture. I'm gonna make sure to get all my water in every day!!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    pe62gpckf6mn.jpg

joe cool also known as Floyd - just chillaxin
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    afternoon dear friends~
    well today has gone ok so far... went to feed breakfast to my DFIL , and he had me cracking up today.. he comes out with the most inappropriate things... God Love him..
    also checked out alot of websites on mes midlife crisis and what I gleaned from all of it is just back off on the relationship thing, and dont try and fix things..
    so as Doris Day would say Que Sera Sera what will be ,will be.. and I will live by that motto and keep on trucking..
    have to realize I dont have control over his feelings and I can't fix it, so let him go through what he needs to and hopefully we come out together on the other end. but if not God has a plan for me. ;)
    Chester is looking wonderful after his grooming and a gorgeous day outside...
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Pictures of utensils was a good one. Old lady being dehydrated . . . UGH . . . where is my water bottle? Cute Joe Cool 'just chillaxin'. Next time we have a dog, I am going to get him started with a pair of sunglasses and a bandana around his neck. Anybody ever heard of a Mountain Feise/Mountain Cur Terrier? We're looking for one that won't cost as 'arm and a leg'

@grandmallie - I don't think we can 'fix' things when it comes to others . . . we just have control to 'fix' ourselves. God has a plan for both of you . . . might take longer for one of you to deal with it; but, we are all God's children and he takes us and molds us and sometimes it takes a little longer for a lot of us. One day, you might be able to look back and 'think' . . . "Oh Lord, thank you for letting me (teaching me) to wait; things are so much better for doing so."
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Katla backing up your argument. A friend of mine was showing early signs of osteoporosis and she upped her D3 and calcium. It reversed it for her.

Alison: I agree with Yvonne and DJ and making sure your interests are protected. Just learned that a cousin of mine who I thought was happily married. I had met her husband and liked him. Turns out he was seeing someone else and manipulated the situation so he got the house. It was a second marriage for each of them. He definitely lost a treasure with her. I know you even hate to think this way. Protecting yourself is important too.

:heart: MNMargaret
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to read back all the posts, but I am thinking about all those having struggles.

Laura in Chicago, welcome-I'm in Minnesota now, but I lived in that area my whole life and am back there often. Going back this weekend, in fact.

I have been in MN for a month now and am down 3 lbs, the lowest I've been in a year. Finally trending in the right direction. Having my own business and making my own schedule has been a good thing for me! Much less stress!

Yep! I went out for coffee with Gayle (MN) and MN Margaret yesterday. Can I just say "lovely" !! We are planning to do it once a month. You ladies forever hold the place of being my first two Minnesota friends. :)<3

Up early and getting some writing and social media jobs finished.

Have a losing day!

Toni in MN

I'm here for you !! Gayle Minneapolis
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy thurs.Tried a couple stretches and made it worse,guess I have to wait to inflammation settles.
    My ortho dr,retired.So ill see what I can do.
    hugs
    jane
    baby Nathan is recovering from his 2 surgeries,they had the story on our new channel.