WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Yeah, popping back in to say -

I HAVE GOT MY LEGACY :drinker: ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Phew! It's only taken 10 years and endless emails to the solicitor. I got 40% a couple of years ago, but my ex, the executor, has had phobias, depression, legal knots and ill health, (that's his excuse) to deal with so it is only just being finalised. It's not a lot of money, but as I have hardly any income, it is VERY welcome to me. :DB):D
    My elder son also thinks he is owed a bit. My younger has written it off, I think, as his father is pretty useless at the moment. He finds him very frustrating. It's all been a shame as I had no bad feelings towards my ex, except for this ÷×=%# legacy. Thank goodness it's over. :)

I have bought myself a bright pink top online to celebrate! :drinker:

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,692 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    Tom and I have stayed at a B&B twice,once here in Ct, and once in Cape Cod... both were fantastic ,fireplace in the room ,comfortable bed wonderful food...dont think with the way things are we will see another.. but those 2 times were great.....
    we are going down to see DFIL and then back here and we will leave for N.H. hoping the traffic wont be bad, cause that will get Tom's undies in a bunch .
    I have the car mostly packed... no phone, no tv, no internet where we are,,, that could be a good thing or a bad thing,,, but I love it up there, I grew up going there as my dad did also, it is now in my DB and DSIL name but I am welcome up there anytime...
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    I am in so much pain. I can't believe that it hurts so bad it is a sprained ankle. I can't really exercise. g

:'( sorry to hear about your ankle.....try looking online for seated exercises...there is a lot you can do even in a chair.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Mary - I've been reading up. The main problem is space to put the equipment. We already have a spare room full of machines! It does look good though, but I do fear for my dodgy knee.
    Currently I use dumbbells in my bedroom, but could do a lot more with squats. I don't like them and tend to avoid them. I do have good form. I will show DH what I've learned and see if we can put our thinking caps on. :D

Heather UK
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @DamitJanit - cooking a meal sometimes makes me 'go over my caloric intake' because my caloric intake to lose weight is set so low; no I don't sample when I cook. Yesterday, I had a thigh (6.5 including bone) and some sautéed onions. It was delicious and made me full. Drinking a lot of water helps, too. Drinking enough water seems to be a problem for me. I'm on a 'medical weight loss program' so my day consists of 2 protein shakes and one protein bar and a meal that I can cook under 550 calories. If I cook something that consists of 550 calories, and drink and eat my protein bars and shakes; I am over by 70 calories . . . which is still in the range of being able to lose weight. When I do this and drink water afterwards, I am not hungry and can usually stay within that ### that has been set by my MD. I've lost 19lbs (after gaining 1lb back because of vacation). I know when we go out to visit son, I will take some shakes and bars; but, know we'll be going out some and my son and DnL are good cooks - especially Cajun-type food. I'll just have to either walk or get on my son's elliptical machine (which ours we had to give to our OS because neither my husband or I could do it for more than 2 minutes. He and our DGD (and hopefully our overweight DnL could do it. She doesn't like doing it and she fusses when OS does use it. She won't even 'walk' in the pool - which I have found is terrific exercise because of the resistance of it.

@jmkmomm - As for the tattooing the lips, my 'newest' DnL has done it before. She has even had her eyebrows tattooed on (or them 'tinted' I don't know which) and eyeliner. Now that one, I don't think I could do. I'd be afraid that I could not be still enough for them to do it. LOL! I have very shaky hands so putting on eyeliner is difficult for me to do. I've been looking for something that would be easy to put on and not look like a squiggly line; but, so far everything I have tried isn't working. Gee, I have thought about doing my lips because I lick my lips therefore I lick off any lipstick I put on them. I usually use a stain for my lips and that helps a little except for the edges; but, it keeps my husband from saying 'where is your make-up'? My DH asked last night how she would change the color of her lipstick and I told him that the tattooing would only make her lips be a dark shade of her natural lips and then she could put on any color she wanted to. I got my brows tinted the other day - and now I can put makeup on them and see what I am doing. I use brow mascara and dry powder to set them and they will last me a few days before I have to put them back on. LOL!

DGD (one who did not stay outside with the dog like she is supposed to) does feel remorse about not doing so. When I took her home, I told her that Madison was going to be quite upset and asked her 'if she knew why'. She almost tuned up to cry; but, didn't. They had gotten a 'kitten' for Maddie to help with the transition between losing the dog and having another animal to take care of. This kitten was taken away from its Mother too soon; and although they took her back - she is a mean as a snake; and I really don't think anything will make her be calm. I've got to take my cat in for his shots this week. He has lost his summer coat and looks a lot thinner without it. He rubs his head on the railing trying to get more attention and has rubbed off most all the fur over his eyes that was there. We feed him in spurts (a little at a time) because our OS's 'devil dog' [lab] comes down and eats it every day, twice a day.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    @Joyce from Indiana - WOW! What a huge difference taking out the bushes made in your house. Never would have guessed that it was 2 stories (apparently). Holly bushes have roots from HELL! I know we tried taking some out at our other house; and then we just decided to cut them back drastically. Removing old established shrubs is a major undertaking. There are times that I wish we had 'other' shrubs than what we do have. Our azaleas don't bloom like they should; but, I think it is because my DH cuts them to shape them at the wrong time. They also have some sort of 'black mold' growing on them and I don't know if or how this can be treated. I also think that I have too many 'trinkets' on my back deck; especially when we put out the hummingbird feeders. Which reminds me - I need to fill them again. We have 7 or 8 hummers and they empty them every 4 or 5 days.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,692 Member
    Options
    On our way to N.H.Tom stopped to get tea and something to eat at McDonald's, I have ice water and I think the startings of a bladder infection oh joy.. :s
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Grits - I had my eyebrows and eyeliner tattooed on a few years ago and love it. Didn't do my lips cuz it does tend to wear off and needs redone every 2-3 year s. :)

Janetr OKC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

Congratulations to all who have made accomplishments this week. Losses!! Exercises!! House sales.

Hugs to all who are struggling ..... ((((Hugs)))) to everyone.

Saturday... last two days of my days off... oh ya it was my vacation.... did I accomplish anything on my list ? NOOOO!!!

So hopefully today I accomplish something...DH has plans already ... he is going to take the tractor back that we borrowed for baling...so need to pick him up. Then we are going out for supper with his cousin and wife for our anniversaries.... Their 40th on Sunday and our 30th on Monday.

I hope I can get my picture posted today of my new little granddaughter !! Have to go to my other computer though because I saved it on that one..... should network my laptop with my desktop.

Take care everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Joyce WOW! Looks like a new home.

Mary Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alison I sure hope it isn't a bladder infection. Take care.

Quiet day today.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Heading out on our road trip. Bringing calorically approved provisions just in case! :)
    ukhh5qp1cujp.jpg

Have a great weekend everyone!

Cheri in sunny NE Ohio heading to Virginia

P.S. The reason we are still at the ole homestead is my husband NOT me. Just putting this out there so I have a record for later when he grumbles that we should have left earlier. ;)
  • 4mam
    4mam Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Your community is truly lovely with it's outpouring of concern and support. I can't quite put all the pieces together with the thread of stories ( I'm a newbie) but do hope you are all riding high on your successes this week and gaining new perspectives on the struggles.
    BTW I'm down 2.6 this week
  • 4mam
    4mam Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention I'm from the Catskills in NY
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Mary ... I downloaded the app .... You said you didn't start with their 45 and 65 pound weights ... So I'm guessing you just used the app as a guide. This workout intrigues me! We have everything in limited form ( but no cage) so son said he would help me and spot me if necessary to begin. Look what you have started!!

Joyce... I was obviously did not look closely at the before photo because the after just blew me away! What a difference!

Alison... Praying for you and your weekend ...

G ... I might have missed it ... Did you see a doctor about your ankle? Once I rolled my ankle ... Told it was a sprain ... Actually turned out it was a hairline fracture with a torn muscle!

Today younger son has a part time job interview! Hope he gets the job. He has nothing saved for college and we're not going to be able to help him much either.

Funeral this morning for young man who died of leukemia the go get older son fir weekend. Older son is really struggling with his mental health issues ... Still off meds ... Waiting on appointments and medical tests scheduled for end of month. Hope we make it that long.

Going to do some cooking the rest of the day and then clean the pool.

Have a good day ladies!
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I did go to the dr. last night. She did not see anything on the xray. I did a resistance band chair exercise last night . I will do other chair exercises now.
    bWCETC- my DS just went through his appts for MH issues, depression etc. He is on meds, counseling and reading a book called Feeling Good by David Burns. we go to counseling too. Good luck.

Lisa- I work in a restaurant too. Just book keeping on Saturdays now. I used to manage the place and my DH is a chef. So have been around it for the last 10 years. They are challenging and staff issues are no fun. I love reading on how well your doing. Keep up the good work. No show, no call are the worst. I had one guy call in and say he could not come in. I had a huge event booked and he was to be the main bartender. I told him he needed to come in. He did not. Our cook just got caught stealing and trying to sell drugs to the other cooks- can you say fired and now he is trying to get unemployment. (NO).

Gayle of Idaho
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Betty, wow, that is a bridge. Good walk, gurl.

Barbie, you are just an exercise machine. Now you are going after those sexy arms and legs, too? Go gurl.

Rori, good to see you. Hope you have a good hike and enjoy the fresh air.

Lenora, if Buster is sick have ya’ll considered having him put down? It is always such a hard decision but then I hate seeing them suffer. I hope you at least find him.

Mary, I know I should shop at Goodwill and have a couple of nice ones nearby. I can just never seem to find anything. Now if I had you or my DD to come with me, I’m sure it would be a more successful trip. *Hint, hint*

Janetr, OMG, I doubt that I would ever be able to get my arm in the sleeve of my wedding dress. I was a thin bride but seems I started gaining ever so slowly right after getting married.  Being contented is not all healthy. LOL Please don’t apologize for getting long winded, as you are sharing very interesting information. I haven’t lost anywhere nearly as much as you and I am even still shocked sometimes when I try on something and see how huge it is; and I used to wear that! I have always been a thin person in this body and can’t believe that I let myself get that big. But to be honest, I had pretty much given up on ever being below 200 lbs again. This is such a fantastic journey and you ladies are all such an important part of it for me. Thank you all!!!! And now you are all set for a second new knee. Good for you.

Katla, your riding lesson sounds like so much fun. I’m so happy for you that you are doing this for yourself.

Joyce, I’d say hiding mac n cheese shows some kind of problem? So glad you are getting control of that. Lol OMG your house looks wonderful. I knew it would make a difference but that is unbelievable. You have to be thrilled.

G, so sorry about all the pain. If it’s a bad sprain, the sad thing is, they can take a while to heal. You take care.

Heather, I don’t think that Belgian chocolate truffle box would be that bad if you did eat it. smiley-eatdrink015.gif Just stay away from the truffles! Enjoy your dinner tonight and your friends. Congrats on finally getting your Legacy!!! Wooo Hooooo

Allison, I hope you have a marvelous time this weekend. We will be thinking about you. (((Hugs)))

Janetr, Grits and ?, ya don’t have to tattoo your lips. lips.gif There is a lipstick that actually stays on and it is painted on with a small wand that gives great definition to your lips. It’s Cover Girl Out Last. It comes in a ton of colors, too. I basically wear the same color with everything. Once it dries and you apply the moisture coating, it does not come off unless you use makeup remover. I have used it for years and love it. When you first start to use it, it can dry your lips a bit, but then you adjust to it. It does come with a moisture coating that you can apply as needed throughout the day.

Lilian, I’m looking forward to seeing that new granddaughter. I hope you enjoyed your vacation. They aren’t always meant for working so it’s okay that you didn’t accomplish anything. 

Cheri, funny that you mentioned your DH is the reason you have not left home yet. The first 30 or so years we were married, DH tried to blame me for us not getting an early start. Not sure if I was the cause, but it doesn’t matter. Now, when we get ready to go somewhere, be it the store, the beach or a vacation, I stand around waiting for him. He can take longer to just get his keys and a cap and get out the door….to the point that sometimes it gets on my nerves. But, hey, if that’s the worst thing he does, I figure I should count my blessings. smiley-love010.gif

Mamalkine, welcome. Yes this is a very supportive group of women, in weight loss, health and life. Please tell us a bit more about yourself to help us get to know you. Also, we ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called. Come often and join in when you’d like.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I have to go get nails done today and then a little shopping. SC has a “tax free weekend” where you don’t pay sales tax on school supplies, clothes, bedding etc, so I have to at least go look. Then may lunch with friend if she can get away.

I wish you all a happy and healthy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

jmkmomm- the before and after pics are awesome! what a diff.

grandmallie- hope you find some peace at your cottage. just the sound of it sounds beautiful.

to all that are loosing, WAY TO GO!! to those who have gained ::::: cracking the whip ::::::: just kidding, brush it off your shoulder and get back on the wagon. to those of you who are intentionally eating what you shouldn't ::::: strapping on the boot :::::::: come on, you know better. like before, get back on the wagon.

i took a couple of pills when i got home and some benedryl. i wanted to try to get some sleep at least, even if the pain didn't go. i had some success. i slept better than the nite b4 which was zilch. however, today shoulder hurts more cuz i wasn't awake to pay attention how i was sleeping on it. oh well. kids let me sleep til 10 til 8am which is late for me. so now gotta go to the gym. going to the newer one cuz my gym is shut down, now showers or lockers, they are redoing them.

i didn't get to ride home from work the way i wanted to because my last call for the day was an *kitten* so i was there for 1/2 hour longer. by the time i would have headed out i would have gotten home a lot later. in a way that worked out because my back pack was heavier because i had to empty out my locker. so i may end up riding home tuesday....

type to ya later.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Ah... personnel issues continued into yesterday. The brand-new Assistant Crew Chief told me end of day Thursday that she has nonrefundable tickets the 19th to the 22nd for Las Vegas. Just happened to wait until two days after she was hired to mention it. I told her no way... part of the reason for the speed in hiring her is that we have a number of people taking time off over that week... she should have said it during hiring--because bluntly, I wouldn't have hired her. And, afterward, and her husband proceeded to get on Facebook and trumpet all over this small town how much management at the restaurant sucks.

Told the crew chief she needs to encourage her to quit, or I'll be firing her on Monday. Not JUST because of that, but because she also neglected to mention that the reason she left the company six years back was NOT because she had a baby, but because she called the owner a B* word to her face, and was asked to depart. Those were just two reasons, there were a lot more... she's been a busy girl. Can't wait for THAT Facebook post. Compounding her sins was her recommendation of a dishwasher who, it turns out is on probation for felony theft. Just neglected to put it on her application. And it upset her when I did not hire the lady. I'm working on deposits every morning of about $1,000 to $1,200, and I'm supposed to have a convicted felon and me being the only people in the building? Nuh-uh.

Anyway... the staff recommended a lady named Lidia, who was contacted. Basically she said she wouldn't come back to work because she refuses to work with Joe--the cook with diabetes, who works nights. She came so highly recommended, I asked her if she'd work mornings only. She agreed, she starts Tuesday. Also had a guy come in that I had a good instinctive reaction to, wanted dishwasher, and willing to start today--used to work there, quit because of the previous manager. Again, recommended by staff.

We'll see...
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Joyce- wow! What a difference!

Gawworthington- I'm sorry to hear about your ankle. You can still do exercises that don't affect your ankle. Lying down leg lifts, for abs and legs, and all upper body exercises just get a pair of dumbbells and go at it. It will take your mind off of the pain and you will have calories to eat back if you want to!

Heather- at first the program takes about 45 minutes and you burn around 350 calories when you increase weight there is a longer wait time and higher intensity so you burn about 500 calories / hour. With added muscle you burn more fat and a higher amount of calories when at rest. This also counts as doing cardio so he suggests no additional cardio. This was hard for me to do but I have weaned myself down from 23 hours of cardio to zero. You need to rest one day between. He suggests MWF but I do every other day. Now if I do any cardio it's for fun not because I have to. The more muscle you build the more you need to eat. You will notice a change in your stomach within a week. Unbelievable! Yea! For getting the Legacy! My knee improved by doing squats. Never do anything that causes increased pain. There are different types of pain. Squats without weights really do a great butt lift and aid in improving knee health. Then slowly add weights. You and DH can do these together and get rid of the other equipment!

Allison - are you going there with Tom?

Beth - now you and your son have something to do together! I don't have the cage like he does I just have a squat rack and I increased weight by 5 lbs at first using the 12.5 lb bar until I got to the max weight. Remember don't add any weight for the first week as you are trying to get the form correct. I now only add a lb at a time. There is something called a reload when you fail to be able to get 5 reps on a particular exercise. The app tells you and you can change the amount of weight.

DJ - I would love to go shopping with you! Remember if you wear clothes that fit well you look thinner big clothes will make you feel frumpy. You are going to keep losing and getting tighter with exercising so flaunt that beautiful body of yours!

Thanks everyone for celebrating the sale and purchase of our houses with me! Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: Wow! Your home looks so nice now that we can see it. Taking out the overgown plants was a wonderful thing to do. :flowerforyou:

Gayle of ID: So sorry about the ankle. :flowerforyou:

Heather: CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING YOUR LEGACY! :drinker: This is definitely worth shouting from the rooftops! :bigsmile:

Alison: I hope you have a good trip to NH. :flowerforyou:

DJ from Myrtle Beach: The riding lessons are fun and I'm thrilled that I'm taking them. I wish I'd done things to make myself happy all along, but I was mired in a "duty" mindset. I've learned that happiness needs to be a goal AND that it needs to be noticed. It doesn't interfere with duty and both are a part of life. Simple ideas but they're finally working for me. :bigsmile: Too bad it took me 65 years to figure it out. :ohwell: Thanks for sharing about the Cover Girl Out Last lipstick. I'll look for it. :flowerforyou:

Pip: I am so unhappy you're in pain. :heart:

Our sailing club is having an event on the island across from us today. The local marina is providing BBQ pork, and we need to bring salads, desserts and appetizers. We're taking fruit, but I'm still thinking I might make cupcakes instead. I'll finally decide in a bit. Fruit will require a trip to the store, but I can make cupcakes with supplies at hand.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png