WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Barbie - if you do 15 lb dumbbells on each shoulder you are actually lifting 30 lbs which is over twice as much as I started on. lifting the 15 lb dumbbells is harder then taking the bar off of the squat rack because you start out supporting the weight on your shoulders. You need to do what works for you. I bought the squat rack and bench and barbell with weights and work our at home. I do not like going to a gym so I will do it if I have it at home. My DH and I share his office. I think he likes watching me LOL You can do all of the exercises on stronglift 5x5 with your 10 to 15 lb dumbbells. You also don't need to add 5 lbs at a time I add 1 lb by using my wrist and ankle weights. I heard that the NROLFW is a good option but it takes more time then stronglifts.

Michele - doing strong lifts is also doing cardio since it raises your heart rate and increases your breathing it is considered to be a HIIT high intensity interval training exercise. lift for 1 minute rest for 90 seconds or when you are back to normal breathing and heart rate. When the weight is really heavy rest for 3 minutes. The 109 lbs that I lift do not feel any heavier then when I first started lifting the 12.5 lb barbell. Your muscles get stronger and the weight seems just as light.

I have 2 broken vertebrae in my neck, L4 and L5 disk bulge, L4 and L5 right side facet rubbing and scoliosis BUT I feel better and pain free since I have been doing stronglifts I will show you my CT scans. Lifting heavy increases bone density and who at our age doesnt need that! I wouldn't be at all surprised if that by lifting I am actually pulling my vertebrae back into alignment since both sides of my body have to increase in strength simultaneously. I am not trying to talk anyone into weight lifting, you need to do what you like or love to do or you won't do it. I just would rather only exercise 3-4 hours a week then 21-23 hours a week like I use to and see a lot better results and eal a lot more. Especially the being able to eat more is key for me.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Cheri definitely WTG!
    Becca, handsome bunch of fellas!
    Michele, I just looked up the fingernails on a whim. Who knew? One time we were joking around about all the stuff on the Internet and I said that I bet there was a YouTube video about how to blow your nose...well you would not believe how many there were! Really love thinking about a pool plus a waterfall and will try to picture that when I hit the sack.
    I would like a blue wood duck stripe on that duck but I like blue on practically everything.
    On my vacation last weekend I did the Walkway over the Hudson in Poughkeepsie. I really enjoyed it and was glad I did not see the bridge from this viewpoint before the walk..I would have chickened out for sure!
    Thanks for all the hugs today!
    Betty WNY
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    hm 2 gym - 12.18min, 14.4amph, 2.9mi = 95c
    spin - on my own - 7min, 85ar, 108aw, 12g, 3mi
    subbing class - 29min, 84ar, 135aw, 12-15g, 12mi = total 422c
    gym 2 dome - 5.38min, 14.5amph, 1.3mi = 70c
    ride dome 2 hm - 15.51min, 9.9amph, 2.6mi = 185c hvy bg
    total cal 772.

if it's not one thing it's another, couldn't ride hm today.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:21,000 steps
    three hours of dog walking
    36 minutes on the exercise bike
    taught the two hour line dance class in the morning
    weight training

smiley-happy032.gif Betty, that's a great photo....I'd love to walk over that bridge

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif Mary, thanks, I'm going to try the strong lifts 5x5 lifts when I do my weights on Sunday....it will be fun to add something new that will probably replace something I'm doing now.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

146200.png
    August Resolutions (with week one comments)
    *walk 15,000 steps a day (more than that every day)
    *drink 9 glasses a water a day (every day)
    *weight training twice a week(twice this week)
    *thoroughly clean guest room (not yet)
    *thoroughly organize linen closet (not yet)
    *speak up--don't sulk (used this one today when hubby wanted to make a bunch of plans for the afternoon when I'd already decided to use the time for weight training and some other chores)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    exermom - i want some
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends.
    Mary: You could be the poster girl for stronglift 5x5. You look amazing. Closing on two properties on same day…you are blessed indeed!

Charm: Happy dance for you getting out of the obese range. I hope that GE makes amends for their horribly shoddy customer service. I’m in the market for appliances and your story has turned me away from ever buying theirs.

Anamika: We’ve missed you. Hope you are well and continuing to live healthy.

Jane: I agree with the others who have suggested massage and chiropractic care for sciatica. Take care.

GRITS: Lump in my throat thinking about poor sick Buster.

Gertudejekyl: Welcome. Come often, share your stories and enjoy the support and friendship here for you in this community. We’d love if you sign with your name and where you live.

Chris: Vicariously enjoying your anticipation of fun in the sun in Cancun. Hope you like stand up paddleboarding. I love it.

Becca: Great pictures of your Three Stooges. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

Heather: The DGC are growing so fast! Love the photos.

Barbie: Your weight training sounds well rounded. My hands are tiny, and even with gloves, I have a hard time gripping free weights. I use resistance bands with handles for my weight training. Found some workouts on JessicasmithTV.com that challenge me. And, I can pack the bands when I travel.

Michele: I have knee issues that flare up when I do squats and lunges too fast, so I also have to do my weight training s l o o o w l y. I would paint the duck in shades of blue and electric green.

It’s been great being home for 3 weeks straight but I have to admit to feeling restless. I would love to get away for the weekend, but DH keeps putting up objections. We compromised and will take a day trip into the mountains tomorrow. Hiking shoes are ready.

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    August Goals
    • Burn 2300 calories per week
    • Eat mindfully
    • Meditate 3x per week
    • Call someone once a week just to check in.
    • Finish reading “Clean Gut”
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thank you for thinking about poor Buster. I know my son and DnL and probably my oldest DGD went looking for him tonight when they got home. DGD thinks her Daddy would not 'look' for him, says he 'has no heart'. I told her I thought she was wrong and since they go hunting for sheds (racks of deer) he'd probably be able to see him quicker than we could ... he is mostly black, just a little white on his face. I know we looked for him for nearly an hour. He is blind in the one eye he has - and doesn't like anything to hit his face (turns around), so I don't think hee went very far; but, we have a lot of grass (tall) growing between our planted pines and a field that has 'high' grass in it; but, I rode through it several times with golf cart and did not find him. I even rode down the road out front; but, I doubt he was strong enough to walk that far, although when Shorty was in the process of dying she walked 1/2 of a mile down the road and a neighbor brought her back to us. They never called to say if they found him or not. I hate to see my sweet babies 'cry' for any reason.

The bisque duck is more in the shape and form of a 'wood duck' ... I'd Google wood duck and get the colors from pictures. There are so many male ducks that have pretty colors . . . it is that some of them don't really have this sort of tail. Happy Painting! My mother used to china paint and I got all her 'stuff' and 2 kilns = one small one and a large one. Thinking about donating it to the school if they want it.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Pip, I hope the second dose will do the trick. I firmly believe that the body can heal better if it’s not fighting pain.

Becca, wow you have come a long way. I hope you are as proud as you should be. Keep up the great work, because it’s worth it. Maybe being thinner or looking better is of less importance to some, but the health benefits are what should matter to all of us. You go gurl.

Katla, when I read that you felt overfed it reminded me that I can’t remember the last time I felt stuffed after a meal. At least that is one thing I have gotten from this journey; to eat less food and stop. I remember so many occasions in my past that I would eat until I was stuffed, just because the food tasted so good.

Joyce, glad the tree project is moving right along. It seems things like that never go as fast and easy as it seems they should. I wonder if your Nephew is going to Coastal Carolina University? It is right outside of Myrtle Beach, actually about 7 miles from me. I don’t see the “after” picture???  I hope you can get it posted. Good deal on the painting estimate. Sounds like things are moving right along.

Allison, maybe it’s just my interpretation from here, but it sounds like Tom is sending mixed signals? Maybe it’s because he is confused, who knows? I do think it’s wise to just give him space and let him try to work things out in his mind. And good that you can support him doing that. Hopefully after all this, he will at least treat you better and with more respect. (((((Huggs)))))

Lisa, it sounds like you have your hands full but are still doing a great job. Whatever you are getting paid, you will earn it. I think the thing that amazes me the most is how few people really want to work and do a good job. Thank goodness there are still a few around. Fantastic that you are still losing weight through all this. So what are you getting done at the new property? *tee hee hee* Oh and I forgot to add, In your spare time. I do see it’s been very hot out there, so just praying the AC keeps working. My DH keeps teasing me about going to Dallas next week with it as hot as it is. I told him I’ll stay in the AC. Hang in there girl, you can do this. ((((Hugs))))

Colleen, you have done so well without your car. I salute you. And great going on the kettlebell workout. Keep up the good work.

Heather, glad you heard from DS. Sorry your DH had a panic attack. Hope he’s okay today? I think I’d have to consider cutting him off from sports. Lol The grands are too cute riding the lion.

Cheri, I know what you mean about DH not being a big believer in online friends. My DH used to call my DD’s online friends her “imaginary friends”. He doesn’t make any negative comments about my “Fat Chat” friends. It sounds like you have a great attitude for your travels and yes that can make a big difference in results. Enjoy your mini vacation while DH is actually working.

Sylvia, I never thought of forgetting pjs on a trip so I’d have to buy new ones. I’ll have to remember that one. But then again, I am constantly amazed at how expensive pjs are!!! I’d hate to have to buy some when I couldn’t’ shop the sales. Sounds like I’m never satisfied, doesn’t it? LOL You enjoy that suite. Great job on ordering dinner. At least the BBQ will be different. Hope you enjoy/

Betty, I love the calorie count on fingernails. You are too funny!! But it sounds like you need a big (((((((HUG))))))). Is your anniversary in Jan? OMG to be 10 pounds from my wedding weight would be a dream. I hate to hear you are in a bummed state of mind and wish I had some words to help. I did see a news segment yesterday about carbs and depression. It basically said that white carbs (rice, pasta, bread) were particularly bad for depression according to a recent study.

Katla, so glad to hear you say “I'm finding pleasure in life again”. It is amazing how just our frame of mind and perspective on things can have such a huge impact on our quality of life. Sometimes we do have to “Look for the opportunities” to be happy with our situation. So happy you have a good day planned.

Lori, congrats on he loss!!! You can enjoy Disney and eat out of the norm without going crazy. You have a good time.

Lenora, why does cooking a meal make you go over your calories? When you are planning and preparing is when it should be easy to stay under. Are you sampling as you cook? You can do this and we are with you.

Terri, glad you found things you could eat at the party. DD is somewhat in the same boat as mine. Guess they just have to pay their dues. As far as your DS, I’d think the kid needs a little break from the rigors of all his sports. He’ll be grown and out working before you know it.

Chris, a big congrats on that 2 lbs. And especially to be within 5 lbs of a healthy BMI. That is fantastic!!!! My doctor actually told me that he didn’t care if I ever got down that low, that there is no evidence that overweight is worse for health. Lol I think you have done a terrific job and you should have a ball on vacation. Do bring back pictures!!!!!

Pip, I hate that the drugs didn’t do the trick. Hopefully you can hit on the right one for you.

Mary, I can’t wait to see that you actually closed on the houses. It’s about time. You have been great through all of the waiting. Woo Hoo CONGRATS!!!!!!

Yvonne, have fun and be safe.

Nancy, Woo Hoo, Way to Go. Don’t ya just hate that word, obese? First of all, when the repairman/men come, I wouldn’t say anything until they have finished what they came for. Are they also going to repair the washer? I think you said the part was delivered. Once they are finished you can unload, but frankly I would probably try to find out from the 2nd guy if one man could have unlocked it. Good luck.

Gertrude, welcome. It sounds like you know what to do and have done a good job in the past. You just missed the part about maintenance and this being a lifelong journey. The problem with diets is that we always gain it back. You will find this a great place for support and information. Come often and please sign your posts with the name you want us to call you.

Jane, I hope your meds work better than Pip’s. Feel better soon. ((((Hugs))))

Becca, love the pics of Your 3 stooges. Especially when young!!!

Allison, what can I say but: nono.gif But you still get a (((Hug)))

Michele, I like your duck. Wish I could take some pictures of some of the Muskogee’s around here to give you some ideas for colors. I’m sure it will look great whatever you decide.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I tried on some of my long pants and jeans today. These are the ones that I got right before the cruise in February. Well they are waaaayyy big.  I’m glad I’m still getting smaller but not so happy that I have undergrown pants that I may have worn twice. Oh well. I just will not get more until I think I am close to goal and hope they last a while.
    I wish you all a happy and healthy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Rori -! I also had knee issues even prior to starting squats. I watched Dr Oz and he had a trainer on that showed how to do squats correctly and help to build up your knees as well as repair and get rid of knee pain. I started doing squats slow and to vertical. This was a year before I started doing Stronglift 5x5. They said that most of the problem with getting pain in your knees is because most people do not squat low enough and they need to go lower to get a good stretch and full range of motion. There are videos on this. Also distance between your feet and pointing of your toes will make or relieve pain. At first I had to adjust my stance to not have pain and eventually I was able to do them without any pain. I have arthritis but they say moving will help and I now only experience pain occasionaly and then I just adjust my stance until I have no pain.

DJ - Yea! I'm glad to hear about your NSV! Now you get to go shopping as a reward! I shop at the Good Will or salvation army and find really good deals and if I go into a ritzy neighborhood GW I can find name brand clothes some still with tags on.

Mary from Minnesota

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Betty WNY - oh the bridge is breath taking. Has far is it to walk across?

Pip - so sorry everything's creeping in at the same time. You okay? (((hugs)) mamacita <3

Mary/Barbie - you guys have me all excited thinking maybe I should try weight lifting, then I chicken out thinking I'm such a wimp I don't think I could ever do all that. With my knees as bad as they are don't know if I could do it. I'm such a chicken. :(

Rori - I'm a Denver native, you talking of going up in the mountains on a day trip just made a pang in my heart, I MISS them something terribly. My oldest daughter lives in Parker. Then I have sisters, nieces and nephews and a slew of greats living in Denver area from Elizabeth up to Longmont.

DJ - My bariatric surgeon said the same thing when I was there last week. My BMI is just fine with him for "my age". lol I know he had said that before and even had a note at the bottom of the BMI chart that said "persons over the age of 65 can increase these amount by (such and such) points. I really can't remember how many points he had increased it for over 65. Anyway I did put on my wedding dress several months ago, but then I've was NOT a thin bride, ugh.

I just read the part about DJ only wearing jeans a couple of times and now they are too big. I did that sooooooooooo much. I was so excited to wear smaller sizes and would rush out and buy several things and then when I went to wear them they would be too big. I just sent home bags and bags of clothes with my daughter to give to her MiL many had never ever been worn. Some were even now my daughter's size and she was keeping them for herself. My oldest daughter took a couple of tops home when she was here in May, I could still wear them but she fell in love with them. I have a lambs wool coat that hubby got me for Christmas two years ago, its gorgeous and I had wanted it so badly and have never ever worn it. I tried it on several months after my surgery and it hung off my shoulders and the sleeves hung over my hands, I looked like a little girl playing dress up in her Mama's clothes. I got a little teary and hubby took me in his arms and I broke down and cried and cried my heart out, I couldn't stop. He was startled. I couldn't explain it to him, maybe not to anyone else but, #1 I had no idea how big I was and how large of clothes I had to buy; #2 in a way I felt like I had lost an "old friend", this was a whole new me and I wasn't sure I knew who she was or what kind of person she was going to be. They have you go to psychiatric counseling before weight loss surgery and to help prepare you for the changes, but nothing prepared me for this. Looking in the mirror there was a stranger with a thin sunken face looking back at me. Bariatric surgery for sure gives your face and neck a very emaciated look at first, its better now and my face has filled back out but it has been quite a journey. Sorry got a bit long winded there, thanks for listening.

Orthopedic surgeon's office called this morning and scheduled my left knee replacement surgery for September 29th. I told her to make it that late in Sept. cuz I'm hoping Jack's knee gets good enough for us to take a little vacation before I have my second knee done. This will make three major surgeries for me in one year and nine months. This is it, NO MORE. :) I hope!!

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Janetr- thanks for sharing your struggles with weight loss! I look in the mirror and I still look like I weigh 200 pounds. I know I don't but that is what I see some times. I don't know what you can do with knee replacement as far as lifting weights but you can ask your PT about what exercises to do before and after surgery. Just do the other muscle groups. I helped my DH's 84 year old aunt go through knee replacement surgery and the PT said that she would do better if she did leg and arm and upper body strengthening exercises prior to surgery. She had a full body workout before and after. She now walks around like a spring chicken!

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Mary - thanks for the encouragement. You look terrific and so happy. Hopefully the image in your minds eye will soon catch up. My husband keeps saying to me, you aren't gonna go anorexic on me are you. I can't see myself as not fat either, he can't understand that. He's 6'3" and weighs 167. I had my right knee done in January. Both knees have been bone on bone for at least 4 years prior but I didn't have the surgery done cuz the doctor said I should lose weight first. Which of course I didn't until a year and a half ago. But after the right knee, I decided exactly as you say that I needed to strengthen both legs before the second surgery. That's when I started water aerobics and the stationary bike trying to get strength built up. I really went thru the first replacement with flying colors, the doc said he wished all his patients could do as well and that I made it look easy. I think partly it was that they had hurt so badly for so long that it really was no worse pain. I'll be glad to have it done so I can do all the things I want to do without pain.

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lori form WV: Congratulations on the loss! WTG! :bigsmile:

Terri in Milwaukee: I hope your poor knees are doing better now! :flowerforyou:

Chris: Enjoy your vacation and tell us all about the things that you like. :flowerforyou:

Pip: I hope you're able to sleep tonight. I'm sorry your medicine didn't get the job done. :cry:

Gayle ID: I didn't expect that our allowed calories would be reduced as we lost weight. I guess I thought that there was some magic calorie number that would do the job all in one step. As time went on I got used to the reality that success in dropping pounds meant fewer calories to go on with. :ohwell: Eventually I lost enough weight that I felt like I was succeeding, and that made a very nice difference in my attitude. You're already ahead of where I was in the early months. Congratulations and keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:

Charm: Congratulations! :drinker:

Mary: Three cheers for the sale of your former home AND closing on your new home! :flowerforyou: :drinker:

Sylvia: I hope you enjoy your trip. I'm so impressed with you ordering what you wanted at the restaurant! I hope I work up the nerve to do that sometime. :bigsmile:

Nancy: Follow Pip's brilliant advice. AFTER they fix it, tell them how much stress and trouble they caused you. :mad:

Michele in NC: Is this duck going to become your newest pool pal? I can hardly wait to see what colors you choose. If you choose green and yellow, it can be an Oregon Duck. :devil: :bigsmile:

JanetR: DD lives in Longmont. I like it there and hope to visit soon. :flowerforyou:

My riding lesson this afternoon was at my teacher's place rather than the usual stable. I practiced some side passes and backing through a pattern. It was two new challenges and quite fun. Next lesson will be a trail ride. It may be next week or the week after depending on schedules. She will be going to some job interviews. I hope she finds just the right thing. :happy:

I made something new for dinner from Allrecipes, Quinoa and black Beans. It was good flavor and good nutrition DH and I have a new favorite. :bigsmile: The site is very good with nutritional information. This was all on a smart phone app although they also have a website. :star:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Janetr- I know there are a lot of restrictions on what you can do with your replacement knee but can you do squats after? My aunt was 84 so I didn't ask the PT that question LOL

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Katla - very beautiful area. I miss it all so much. I haven't been there for a year now. I hope you do get to visit soon.
  • janetr7476
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Janetr- I know there are a lot of restrictions on what you can do with your replacement knee but can you do squats after? My aunt was 84 so I didn't ask the PT that question LOL

Mary from Minnesota

I'm sure it will be allowed. I can't really now due to the left knee being bad, but during PT following the last surgery she had me squat as far as possible and even walk across the room that way. So maybe both knees now will be good enough to do some of these things I haven't been able to do for years.

Janetr OKC

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allison, you are one might fine woman. I really admire you attitude. Wedding vows are there for a reason. I hope you can enjoy this weekend in your cottage. Pray for Tom and your marriage while you are there but I hope you won't let it rule the whole atmosphere of the weekend. Don't beat yourself up for eating the mac and cheese. I would probably be doing the same thing. I got in the condition that I am i right now because I would eat a whole box of Kraft mac/n/cheese for lunch. I would buy several boxes and hide them in my bedroom so Charlie wouldn't know I had them.

Lisa, so sorry about the bad day. But it is over, you found some strengths in some of the employees and now they see you as a human and not some overlord.

Cheri, there have been quite a few people who have wanted a 'like' button. The gurus of MFP community section said that they were encouraging people to interact with each other and not simply clicking 'like'. Oh, the goodies they might cook for you while you are at the B&B. You might need to let her know you are on a diet. Staying at a B&B is also one of my bucket list items. But not on my husbands list! That would mean that he would be expected to interact with some one and that is not on his strong points. One time when we went to visit youngest daughter when they lived in this little town, they lived in student housing which meant a very small trailer. Room enough for a bedroom, living room and small kitchen. Guest slept on a futon if they wanted to. Well this man I am married to would not be able to sleep on a futon with his wife. They had a B& in this quaint town so we rented a room in that and let our daughter and husband sleep there and we slept in their kind size bed. The people who owned the B&B knew what we doing and DD and SIL were the only ones staying so they invited us to join our daughter for breakfast. Oh the spread they laid out for the 4 of us. Have fun.

Sylvia, I always get a large suite for DH and I when we travel. When we visit DD for an overnight we always stay at this little Mom and Pop type motel. Their suite has 2 rooms so we both get a TV. My husband pretty much channel surfs all the time, even at home. He just does not understand what channel surfing 'looks' like when some one is in the same room trying to sleep. The constant change of lightness on each channel is not condusive to sleep. So we now pay about $100 for one night and only in the motel for about 10 hours. But we ahve to have the 2 rooms. Good for you in your custom order while eating out!

Bettty, 'hugs'. I can't believe there is an actual calorie count for nails, What about if a teenage girl chews on the ends of her long hair??? I wonder how they determined this calorie count and how much taxpayers money was spent on this research.

Katla, I had my first bone density test this year and it showed I have osteopenia. Since my sister and my Mom had severe osteoporosis, I was glad mine was not that. I have taken Calcium 600 with Vit D for a long time so he told me to increase it and take 2 tablets. I have read somewhere that you get the best absorption if you take it with food and not take more than 1 at a time.

Chris, what fun to go on vacation with 2 FitBit buddies. It really helps with the sticking to the plan. Have fun.

Mary, Minnesota, closing on both houses!!!! Woo Hoo, doing the happy dance for you.

Yvonne, my mammogram was much easier this year. I guess they either have better equipment of a better method. When I went from being and RN to being an RN on Social Security Disability, I went form 100% RN pay to 40% SSD check. It can be done but sure is different.

Nancy, with my personality and philosophy, I would have to show some degree of politeness to the repairman. Polite but if needed, firm. It's not in my personality to be insulting. I will if needed be very careful and document with journal and camera constantly. I had a contractor one time that we had to take pictures when he left work to then leaving work the next day. And now with our cameras and iPads, our pictures are all automatically dated. I had to turn all this over to city to help this guy put in prison for fraud.

Lenora, so sorry about your DGD dog. I hope she doesn't carry a burden around that she caused his death. It's just in an animals nature to go off and find a quiet place to die when it knows it is time. Tattooing lips????? OUCH

DJ, yes, it is Coastal Carolina University. He is only going there one year and then transferring to another school in South Carolina.

Michele, I assume this duck is another one of the small ceramics you are putting around your pool area. If so, it's got to be a bold color in order for it to show up. Do you have a favorite sports team and you could incorporate the team colors?

Well I finally got my computer to recognize that I had new pictures on the iPad to import them into the computer so I will try to get the after picture on. We thought they were not coming out today as it has been so wet. So we slept in and it felt soooo good. And to us, sleeping in is getting up around 11 AM or noon. I'm glad I got up at 11. I was dressed and got my initial face book game done for the morning. So around noon we heard this loud saw sounding noise again and I thought to myself that there must be some one else in the neighborhood having work done. But then I realized it was our house. The owner of the company and one worker had the stump grinder working. Wow, that thing must get real hot from all the friction it causes on that stump. It smelled like a tree burning although I have never smelled a tree burning. It's amazing how deep they got to get roots and everything dug out. He did three of them today. So they have 2 left form the bushes and then the old stump where we had a very dead pine tree cut down. But the closer I was looking at the weeds around that stump, I realized that it wasn't all weed. We actually have a bush growing out of the top of the stump. I would assume it is a volunteer from my neighbors yard but hers looks really nice. I was considering leaving it as is but as I was walking all around the stump I realized that there are some pretty deep impressions in the ground around it plus a LOT of weeds. So we will have it all cut down. If my Mom were still alive, she would take a sprout off that bush and nurse it to life in a glass so it could be replanted. There are also real tiny shoots of holly tree where the bushes were. My other neighbor had a holly tree but they cut it down several years ago.

I tried to get close to 10,000 steps in today but only a little over 7100. Bu that is much better than 1000 a day. There may be news in the next couple of days from my scales but I don't want to jinx myself right now.

OK, here goes, hope I am successful in down loading this after picture.

Joyce, Indianap82lu0uvvh3l.jpg
    io62bhtchzh0.jpg

• gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I am in so much pain. I can't believe that it hurts so bad it is a sprained ankle. I can't really exercise. g
  • janetr7476
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Joyce - Wow, the after picture is great!!! Looks like a new home. You will enjoy that fresh open look, I'm sure.

GAWworthington- they often say sprained is sometimes more painful than broken. So sorry its hurting so badly. (((Hugs)))

janetr OK
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Good morning!

Joyce - you have a mansion instead of a bungalow! ! ! ! :laugh: Loving the columns. <3

DH just gone off to cricket. He's driving himself which means he has to park about a mile away. I insisted he get the newspaper and milk first as for two weeks we haven't had a Saturday paper and that throws all my planning out. I need that TV guide to plan my watching and recording and to see what foreign films to order from Lovefilm.
    We are being taken out to dinner tonight by his friend and wife and they are driving, so I will be able to wear my hydrangea dress sgain that my yoga teacher lent me. And some "taxi" shoes! :laugh: I've only got to stagger across the car park. :)

DH has had both his daughters ring him this week. The elder has just had a precancer removed from the cervix and the younger is very unhappy at work. The elder never rings so that is unusual. It obviously is a worry for him, but he slept ok last night. They are in their forties now and there will be no children. The younger is on her own. Luckily he has my two to be a granddad to.

Got to tidy up in case the couple come back for coffee. I bought some Belgian chocolate truffles yesterday in case. Note to self - do not eat the box! :laugh:

Mary - I will investigate Stronglifts as, although I am delighted with the results of my exercise programme, it does take me a long time every day. Something shorter would be a great help, especially on days when I'm travelling or having to do something which entails leaving the house early. My regime takes at least an hour and three quarters every day except Tuesday when I do yoga. The advantage of my regime is that I know exactly how many calories I am burning and so can eat up to that number. Trial and error I guess.

Much love to all

Heather UK
    27681614.png