WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The shrub is probably a berberi shrub. Does it have lots of thorns and red berries? They are a native of Japan, and are considered an invasive species in many areas. The birds poop the berry seed and they are taking over, killing off native species. They look very nice, but I have always hated them because they are covered with thorns! I don't do roses either. Life is thorny enough without planting things with thorns!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    megblair1 wrote: »
    Lisa: you sound very wise!!!
    Thanks, Meg... I don't feel that way. Which, for all I know, may mean that I am. Of course, that sounds much like the old definition of insanity. If you're insane, you don't know you are, but if you think you might be, you're probably sane...

Of course the lovely and talented ex-employee escalated things...and my GM got a little het up. I just pointed out that she was actually being very careful in all her Facebook rants to make it plain that the restaurant was not to blame, she was pointing directly at me (by name). Told him the same thing I told y'all--not responding was the only possible response. He calmed down, told me he would trust my judgment, and I came to find out she's done this rant business against everyone at some point or another, even members of her own family, in public. Few believe her except others of her stripe.

And, because few things are without some silver lining, some of the best of the past employees who left because of all the drama are filtering back in to apply--because she got me a lot of publicity, mostly because I had sense enough to get rid of her quickly! I may finally be able to get this place back up to full staffing. I'm learning to believe three impossible things before breakfast every day. It's good practice. :innocent:

Someone asked if Montana was a well-deserved vacation... and the answer is "Yes." It is both to see my best friend's youngest daughter get married (that's who the quilt was made for), to spend a few days with that friend, who I haven't seen in two years, and to see our son, John, who is stationed in Montana. Unfortunately, he couldn't get leave, and works as a chef out in the missile field, so we can't visit him when he's working. We will, however, at least get a few hours to spend with him the day we fly back to Texas... which is much, much better than nothing.

We leave a week from Friday.

Hoping for a wonderful Wednesday...
    Lisa in VERY sunny West Texas
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    Thanks for asking about me and a special thanks to Barbie for checking on me. I am in a really dark place right now. I've been reading posts but haven't had the gumption to write. PT is going well, I think. I discovered Monday that I can not lift my arm off the mat--that was a really yucky feeling. Nothing earth shattering is going on. Let me see if I can remember this quote...

"Depression is when you don't really care about anything.

Anxiety is when you care too much about everything.

Having both is just like hell."

Carol in NC
    This quote sums it up perfectly, Carol! Your brain is being pulled in two very different directions at once and it is exhausting. Often one evolves into the other and back again. Do not give up, it will get better if you can give yourself some space to breathe. Part of the trick is to care a little more about yourself enough to do something about it, and care a little less about everybody else as you cannot do anything about them anyway. Easier said than done, I know. I should follow my own advice, I guess. Hugs!
    Betty WNY

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good idea ......
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Whoo-hoo - good to learn that Shemer Moore is not gay ... if I was 'ever' going to cross that line that separates races it'd be because of him. LOL! Just kidding.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    sluts - so i will know where i left off a lot more easily and i don't have to scroll around to search where i left

I tried doing it once and it told me I had to have script in the box. Oh well . . . I'd like to find where I last posted myself.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Glad to hear it was just a rumor about Shemer Moore being 'gay'. He is an absolute doll! I know that Penelope is 'gay'; but, unless the young MD is 'in the closet' . . . he is dating some big name star (the last I heard). Of course, he could swing both ways.

I give my husband 'fair warning' when I have to go pee; but, he usually has to go at the time himself. That is rarely a problem for us.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Well, the dogs are back home and happy, so I'm happy too. It's hilarious to watch them when they get home after we go on a trip. Running around like crazy idiots. Molly made a bee line to her wading pool, so she is soaking wet. The other two were racing around like nuts. Then they all came in and collapsed into panting heaps on the sofa. They all got a good brushing, which they love. People who think dogs can't smile are nuts.

Today my son turned 39. I just can't believe it. Boy, does that make me feel old. I still remember that soft, sweet little bundle I brought home from the hospital. And the tiny boy who brought me dandelion bouquets because he loved me. The kids are with their mother all week, so he's spending his birthday all alone. I'm going to take him to lunch, and I've ordered a raisin pie (his favorite). I got him a Green Bay tshirt and a gift card to Chili's, plus some money to pay for a cleaning service once a week. That'll be an ongoing thing. He is on the waiting list for home service assistance, but it's two years long and he needs help now!

I was afraid to get on the scale after the trip, because to be honest, I was not exactly a sterling example of self control. I have gained about 5 pounds in the last two months, but when I got on the scale this morning I was back down two pounds. So I'm just three over my low weight of 170. Must have been all that hiking. I walked 69 miles last week. Even on driving days (and being sick) I managed to make my 10,000 steps. So I'm pretty happy with that.

There were signs up when we came through Joplin, advertising a cat show this weekend. Now, my middle dgd is CRAZY about cats! So, I asked my son to ask the ex if I could pick the kids up on Sunday at noon (instead of 6pm) so I could take them to the cat show. He thought it was a good idea, but I'm waiting to see if the ex will agree to it. I sure hope so. That would be so much fun for them.

Hubby has gone to the Y, so I'm going to try and get some laundry done before he gets back. All his shorts are dirty from the trip. Do I'd better get busy. Have a wonderful day!

Sylvia
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Meg... I don't feel that way. Which, for all I know, may mean that I am. Of course, that sounds much like the old definition of insanity. If you're insane, you don't know you are, but if you think you might be, you're probably sane ... but, if you waffle between the two, you might be Bipolar. LOL!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    o:)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    2157045gp85zev8ri.gif Mary, I don't expect results too soon....I've been on this journey long enough to know that things take time...Just doing the routine more than once is a victory for me...I had dreams last night about how to use my adjustable weight wrist and ankle weights to be able to lift more than the maximum I can get now with 15 pound dumbbells as my heaviest weights. I've also done some reading about push-ups providing similar benefits to bench press since I don't have a weight bench or heavy enough weights to make it worthwhile.

<3 Barbie
  • cd_va
    cd_va Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    Did a kettlebell workout this morning - what a great way to start the day.

Thank you to everyone who shared about prepping for the colonoscopy. dreamwriter, I'm thankful that yours found your cancer!! Thanks for the tip about the apple juice. I'll be drinking that and broth the day before, I'm sure.

Good thoughts to each of you struggling right now.

High fives to everyone!!

Have a healthy and wonderful Wednesday!

Colleen in Virginia
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    We just got home. Boy, am I glad to be here! Hubby and I had a little tiff after we left the hotel this morning. He said he didn't want to rush back. I wanted to go to the mall. He said, no time for that. We saw a farm stand overflowing with goodies, I said I wanted to stop and he conveniently drove past it. And the next six too. Finally he said, do you want to turn around and go back? I said yes, but he wouldn't do it. I had a little melt down. He didn't see what the big fuss was, and I told him that it makes me feel terribly unimportant when he does stuff like that, but he still didn't get it. So, when we went through Springfield Missouri he asked if I wanted to go to the mall. I think he expected me to say no, but I called his bluff and said yes. So, we went shopping which is his worst nightmare. I made him sit and wait for me while I shopped. They had some nice comfy chairs out in the midway area, just for tired hubbies.

I'm really excited about a store I found. It's called Justice and they have little girls clothes. I went in and asked what the bigges size they carried, and it's a 20!!!! My oldest dgd has outgrown size 16, and that's the biggest size I can find anywhere else. So, I can get her cute clothes there that look like a little girl's instead of an old lady. She and I are going shopping next week, for sure. They have a location in Joplin, too.

Time to unpack and do laundry.

Good night everyone!

Sylvia

Now I know you are going to have to come and visit me. Not only does our local outlet mall have Christopher and Banks, but they have Justice, too.
  • litnbug
    litnbug Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this group! I am 50 and even though I am married and still have 1 child at home, I have no support system. I need all the encouragement and motivation I can get!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: I'll be sending good thoughts your way. If your doctor buys a clue and shows you respect that is one thing, but he hasn't passed the respect test so far. :noway: :flowerforyou:

Carol: Hugs to you during this time. I hope you get through the depression quickly, but I know that depression runs its own course. Vitamin D3 may help. It helps me. :heart:

We will be meeting our son and neighbor at the coast today and then retuning home tomorrow. Right now I need to tidy up the house so that it will be company ready when we return.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    litnbug wrote: »
    I would love to join this group! I am 50 and even though I am married and still have 1 child at home, I have no support system. I need all the encouragement and motivation I can get!

Welcome! You joined us just by posting. Glad to have you.
  • jodi664
    jodi664 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How do I join the group? Sounds like a great place!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,735 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    sluts - so i will know where i left off a lot more easily and i don't have to scroll around to search where i left

I tried doing it once and it told me I had to have script in the box. Oh well . . . I'd like to find where I last posted myself.

i put a period. that is enough to leave it "looking blank"
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    "Thanks for asking about me and a special thanks to Barbie for checking on me. I am in a really dark place right now. I've been reading posts but haven't had the gumption to write. PT is going well, I think. I discovered Monday that I can not lift my arm off the mat--that was a really yucky feeling. Nothing earth shattering is going on. Let me see if I can remember this quote...

"Depression is when you don't really care about anything.

Anxiety is when you care too much about everything.

Having both is just like hell."

Carol in NC"

I don't post much,but am so glad to see you here! Haven't had depression,but have had times when I could have killed someone,usually my Sis or other family outlaws.
    Carol,hope the PT will also help,along with getting your shoulder back to where it needs to be. Remember,nothing in this life lasts forever. Most of us might not say so,but don't we all have days or times when all we can do is one foot at a time. Hugs & sweet wishes. Pat
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Quiet day here today! Happy hump day to those who are working. :)