WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Back from Portsmouth. Lovely day. Walked around the shops and then along the waterfront with the old walls. Watched all the ferries going in and out.
    Had a great seafood meal. Some wine.
    On the train home we saw a stunning sunset - all red and purple.
    Then at home we had a heated discussion about Church and State. :ohwell:

Generally a good day. Off to the New Forest tomorrow for lunch and a walk. Hope the traffic is ok.

Love Heather in Hampshire UK

Oops
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Carol NC - I am so sorry that you are in such a dark place! Let us know how you are doing. Praying for you!

Sylvia - I'm sorry that you had a tiff with hubby. He must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Hopefully tomorrow will be a good day!

Barbie - yea! You will see unbelievable results. Be prepared to be hungrier and try to eat your body weight in protein. You may have to increase your calories. I consider that a perk!

Welcome to new and returning ladies!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
    edited August 2015
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    cory17 wrote: »
    Barbie - what a tremendous difference.
    Hugs to all the ladies.
    I didn't sit down immediately when came home today = took care of garden chores and my drinks. dH is going to start working pt evenings, hopefully that will reduce tension around here.
    Recommitted to drinking green smoothies during the day as my weight went up 10lb, can feel it around the middle.
    gayle - please share the topics of your emily groups. what you say makes such sense
    linda/ca

Happy to share!! Today's group was about how we use weight to our advantage?? Think about this and see what you come up with. Remember no right or wrong and no judgement!!! I went 6 months everyday which was called IOP, now I have 3 groups weekly. Still learning, will be for life. Emily isn't a weight program, it's to normalize food. Find your ED. No numbers. Now I can start to lose only if I don't get into a diet. All foods are good and restricting bites you in the *kitten*. Will have more tomorrow if you like. Gayle Minneapolis
    Options
    Hugs to all the ladies.
    I didn't sit down immediately when came home today = took care of garden chores and my drinks. dH is going to start working pt evenings, hopefully that will reduce tension around here.
    Recommitted to drinking green smoothies during the day as my weight went up 10lb, can feel it around the middle.
    gayle - please share the topics of your emily groups. what you say makes such sense
    linda/ca

Happy to share!! Today's group was about how we use weight to our advantage?? Think about this and see what you come up with. Remember no right or wrong and no judgement!!! I went 6 months everyday which was called IOP, now I have 3 groups weekly. Still learning, will be for life. Emily isn't a weight program, it's to normalize food. Find your ED. No numbers. Now I can start to lose only if I don't get into a diet. All foods are good and restricting bites you in the *kitten*. Will have more tomorrow if you like. Gayle Minneapolis
    Hugs to all the ladies.
    linda/ca

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Sylvia - I'm sorry but I truly got a kick out of reading about the tiff. This is so typical of man/woman dynamics. Him: oh, wow a battlefield come on sweetie let's go trapse all over tarnation in the heat. I knowl you still feel sick an queasy, so just for a little bit. Her: Oh honey what a cute little shop can we stop a minute? (Him, stares straight ahead, no response). Her: Sweetie I need to pee, please stop at the next exit. Him: sorry, I missed the exit, will you be ok til the next one?

This is SO our daily routine when we are on the road. Glad to know it's not just us. :)

Janetr. OKC

We just got home from a 7 hour trip and at one point I had to ask if he thought we could stop and use a restroom or did he think I was going to wait till we got home?! LOL Men!

Home sweet home! Unpacked and ready for my own bed!

Cheri
    Options
    Sorry lost my message!!! Gayle Minneapolis
    Options
    Would you ladies know how to retrieve it, or it just gone??? Gayle Minneapolis
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Sharon, welcome. This is a great place for support and information as well. Come often and join right in.

NMMargaret, I hope your new passwords and notifying everyone is about done. What a hassle. Glad you got to use your new suit.

Pip, I’m glad you see the doctor. I can’t think of any other questions, but glad you will get these answered.

Colleen, my first colonoscopy was a number of years ago and the prep about killed me. Cramping and craping was all I remember. The last one a couple of years ago was so much easier and I don’t think I did the fasting more than the day before. Good luck.

Katla, hope you have smooth sailing while on the boat. :_)

Terri, that’s what I was thinking about Big Lots, in that it might be like lifting weights on the way back, depending on how much you bought. Lol

Mia, how old were you when you got married? How exciting that you are 15 lbs lighter now!! I think I weighed about 105 when I got married and I’d look sickly if I weighed that now. Plus now I’m 3” shorter than when I married. Lol

Janetr, I’m not sure if they are Japanese maples? Aren’t those full size trees? These are rather small shrubs, and there is some variety that gets bigger. I’m terrible with plant names.

Lori, welcome. Yes, this is a very supportive group of ladies and they share lots of information to help us with health. Good luck on your journey.

Yvonne, you said in the prep not to get too far from home. I laughed because on my first one I was in trouble if I got too far from the bathroom. So glad my last one was so much easier.

Meg, I don’t know how much I’ll have to tell about my trip. The wedding is very small as it’s a 2nd for both of them. I think my niece just wanted me to come because I haven’t seen them since my brother’s funeral about 15 years ago. She and her brother, who also lives in the Dallas area, both have children that I haven’t ever seen. Today I was at the bank getting cash for the trip and I got some $2 bills to give each of the kids. I don’t even know what made me think of that but it just popped in my head. They’ll probably think, gee, our only Aunt and she’s sure cheap! LOL You tell your doctor to order you that colposcopy!!!!

Terri, I agree with you on the cherries. Yum yum!!!

Heather, so glad you had a wonderful day. I mean, to even top it off with a beautiful sunset!!! It doesn’t get much better than that.

CarolNC, thank you so much for checking in. I was really starting to worry about you. I know it is no fun going through this recuperation period and being so dependent on others. You know how much we care about you and wish we could help. Please do check in when you can and know that this too will pass. ((((Hugs))))

Jeanie, welcome or should I say, welcome back? Were you on this thread before, because I know it’s been around since at least 2009? This is a great place for support, so come often. Please tell us a bit about yourself so we can get to know you.

Sylvia, glad you made it home but sorry you and DH had a tiff. That’ll teach him. Lol Cool find on the store.

Joan, good luck with your exam. All I can say is I’m glad it’s you and not me.

Lynny, welcome. Please tell us about yourself to help us get to know you. You will find this a very supportive and informative group of ladies. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, specific or general. Come often and join right in.

Gayle, okay you have had your limit for the night. lol

I had an HOA meeting this afternoon that went on for a while. Our neighborhood has been under the Builder but is almost built out finally, so they will be turning it over to the homeowners soon. There is so much to get done and of course we have one member of the new board who doesn't even show up for meetings. Most of the neighbors just complain and won't get involved. Oh well.

I wish you all a happy and healthy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Gayle I will tell that ED stands for eating disorder. You explained the program so well when we met for coffee.

Carol sorry you are having a hard time right now.

Pip and Barbie great workouts!

Finally getting around to washing the windows and cleaning the screens. What a difference! Love this weather.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Still feel like crap!! I don't like summer colds. Sinus pain and a tickle in my throat..... It seems I am better in the early part of the day so I will head off to work tomorrow.....check in at the office and then off to give hearing tests to some of the operators in the north.

Take care everyone and have a good day tomorrow

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Cheri - I guess its a universal problem lol Its always nice to be back home and in your own bed. Rest well.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Gayle MN - its probably just gone, it actually happens quite a lot. It's very frustrating sometimes. Sorry.

DJ - well ours was a small shrub so not sure if I'm correct. But it was lacy and red and pretty. lol I'll have to ask Jack.

Janetr OKC
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I think checking into this forum is really important. I know some of you have not felt like it and that is okay. I know I keep coming back. And whether we read everyone's post or not, if anything, we know that there are people who care.

So, just keep showing up. You exist. You are important. You matter.

Much love,
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Allison - have you ever sat down and done a plus and minus regarding Tom? Step back from today and this week and look at where you are in life and what YOU are seeking from life. Does he share happiness w/you? Or is it convenience for him? Wishing you joy and laughter!
    Lisa many wise words written!
    Margaret - you are a smart woman!
    gayle - thanks! please keep it coming, putting thought into understanding why does help! (i am an eater!)
    linda/ca
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Gayle MN - your post is gone. I write my message as a text on my phone then I copy and paste it in the reply box. This hardly ever disappears that way. If it does at least you have a copy.

Mary from Minnesota
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of speed/incline intervals on the treadmill today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a step DVD. We have a Newcomer general meeting so I'll just do a DVD at home.

Warmest welcome to everyone new.

Mary from MN - I THINK I've figured out a way to play rummikub in the pool. We can either stand in the shallow end or sit in the spa. The "table" is two pieces of styrofoam that Vince used dowels to hold together. I covered it with felt. There is a spray glue that is waterproof -- but it also costs $18 and there is no way I was going to spend that much to only use once. So I got this stuff, E6000, only it did eat away at the styrofoam. So we shall see just how much it stayed on. I took a thinner piece of styrofoam, cut that into about 3" x 2" squares (they should probably be smaller, maybe 1/2 that size) and used fabric paint to paint the numbers on the "tiles". The only thing I really couldn't think of is a stand for the tiles. Vince is supposed to cut a noodle down the middle and then in half for me to use as the "stand". We shall see if this works.... Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I got some satin material from a friend and made a "bag" for the "tiles". On the backs of the "tiles" I put velcro which will probably stick to the felt (at least I hope so)

janetr - no, I haven't heard from Carol. I'm going to send her a message right now.

Lisa - exercise helps me, too. Whenever I'm under a lot of stress, Vince says to me "go to the Y, just go to the Y". Have fun in Montana -- is this a well deserved vacation for you??

Cheri - what a wonderful compliment!

Lillian - feel better fast

dreamwriter - I agree with pip, that lie was for a good reason.

pip - those are great questions for the doc. Let us know what he says, OK?

Colleen I had that "present". Yes, the prep to me is the worst. But I don't know if I can go for three days prior. I think I'd rather just be in misery for one day. The night before I literally was about 5 feet from the bathroom. The next day I had the colonoscopy. Because of the anesthesia, I don't remember it. I know someone on here was awake for theirs, I don't know if I'm up for that. Just do it, get it over with, then let me EAT. The positive (if there is one) is that the next day you really don't want to eat a whole lot

Meg - Rummikub is a tile game, You can make a series of the same color of tiles from 1 to 13 or you can make a set of four tiles (each a different color) of the same number. One good thing is that you don't have to really concentrate real hard, but there is some strategy in it.

Melinda - if there was a Whole Foods or a Trader Joes nearby, I wouldn't mind working there. The people are usually so friendly.

terri - you're so right, the cherries won't be around for long. I just don't feel they're quite the same frozen. So I've been eating and eating them.

Well, we played Rumikub in the spa. Actually, there were only two others. But we did have fun! We learned that the "tiles" need to be about 1/2 as big which I can probably easily do. the "bag" needs to be cut down. I should probably staple the "tablecloth" to the styrofoam since even with the E6000 glue, the weight of the felt when it got wet tended to pull it away from the styrofoam. But I must say, we had fun laughing so hard. It was cool in that the "board" could easily be turned to face you

Carol in NC - so good to see you posting, but sad that you are in a dark place. Let us hear from you, we all care so much.

Sylvia - when I broke the bone and Vince had to drive me, he'd sit in the car while I shopped, I'd call him when I was done and he'd come pick me up. Fortunately for him, it happened at the end of August so he didn't have to sit in a hot car. Wonder if he'd have done that instead of going shopping with me? Naaa...he'd probably have come in the store and just sat in the front of the store waiting for me.

DJ - isn't that always the way? It's so easy to complain or to give suggestions, but the mere thought of perhaps doing something yourself...perish the thought. You know what they say" 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people.

Michele in NC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @miakoda40 Once an SCA'er always an SCA'er right? We always wished to go to Pennsic, but either didn't have the funds, or the time off. Always heard stories of it though! Sometimes when I light my incense sticks (sandlewood) and put on some celtic music I can reminisce. Hey my second child was made during a great historical camping event, (my husband put popourri in the pavillion!)

@ydailey I think I am a displaced woman from Tuscany Italy. I could so live there, eating pasta, olive oil and being passionate about cooking!

Some of you have mentioned colonoscopy's and I have to state that I got mine done when I turned 50. I wanted to just get it over with, but for the ones that haven't mustered up the courage the drinking the liquids the day before was the worst part. The procedure was easy, and you don't remember any of it. Drinking the stuff was awful, but the next time I have one I will remember to use "Bag Balm" so its not painful as you clean yourself out. I just remember screaming into a pillow as I was on the "throne" Bag Balm comes in a square green tin and its for farmers to put on cows teets. I know crazy stuff. But to put on places where you urinate is wonderful. I had to use it when I had some biopsies done there. Saved my life really. Ok enough intimate talk....sheesh Becca...

Tomorrow is weigh-in day. I think I will have a loss. I have been really paying attention! Today after swimming I was so tired. Bone tired.

Night night all... Becca sleepy in Oregon........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I think this is going to be a long post today.

Allison, I know it must be very hard for you to write that letter because from what I have learned of you, you just aren't the kind of person to be confrontational. But we all have to remember that we have to take care of ourselves mentally and physically. And sometimes doing that we have to do things we just don't have the guts to do. You and all of us here had to make some tough changes in our lives to be here. We all recognize that a change has to occur if we want to take control.

Lisa, sounds like you have it all mapped out in your head and mind. Now just hope that every one else will take your guidelines and rules and run with it.

Cheri, just Googled your B&B. It sure is beautiful. Which room did you stay in. That sure was a nice compliment your husband gave to you. It also might help him. Some jobs would recognize the fact that he has a stable marriage and that he is dedicated to you.

Lillian hope you are better for your DGS.

Sharron, welcome. I liked it that you said 'starting again'. Sounds like you have been there before like many of us.

Lenora, I think several of the actors on CriminalMinds are homosexual, Shamar, Penelope and Dr. Reid. Sounds like you had a wonderful job that had it's ups and downs and mainly up. Like it that the judge tried to let people know he was human. Lots of good memories. That's what gets you through life.

Sharon, I think that lie was OK. I'm sure we all told our kids that some food tasted good or that they would be happy in a new school when actually we didn't know whether they would like the food or like the school or neighbor.

Pip, good questions to ask you doctor. It has drawn out for a longtime. You watched your own colonoscopy???? WOW, your pain tolerance is huge. I watched my sigmoidoscopy, was fun, but there are many more feet and lots of twists and turns and curves when they do the whole colon.

Colleen, I guess I had that gross diet. It was one that was very limiting and boring and then went totally liquid the last day. I have had two colonoscopies and one was the old prep where you drank that huge thing of liquid in addition to Dulcolax. You basically stayed in the bathroom. The second one was a different liquid you mix with Gatorade. Now the procedure itself you won't even know you had it. Good luck. My husband had his a couple months ago and said it was the best and most refreshing sleep he had had in a long time. Got to love that Michael Jackson milk!

Katla, now don't you know that ED is erectile dysfunction????

Terri, they make a little metal fold up cart that has telescoping handles. I bought my Mom one, it cost $10 and I had to assemble it but I didn't need any tools and it was easy-peasy. She used it in her apartment at her retirement home to carry her scrap book supplies from her apartment to the activity room when they had classes. Handle is right about the same height as a suitcase. Yes, I can watch Shamar ALL day!!!!

Mia, heat is one of the worse enemies for some one who has MS. What it does is that it temporarily will bring back a symptom of your MS that you had gotten over. Mine has been in remission for years but I know if I am going to an amusement park or the zoo and it's hot outside that it will bring back the leg weakness and MS fatigue like I had before remission. After you get in the cool room, you go back to what your normal is. My vest has 6 cool packs, 4 on the sides and 2 real long ones on the back. I don't use them on my back because if I am at an amusement park, I am either in my wheel chair or power chair that I rent. And that cold pack is really COLD against my back. They stay cold about 4 hours. You can also get many other cooling products like this thing you can put in your head. It kind of looks like the kind of head covering a Jewish man wears. Or a very common and cheap one is a cooling bandana. It has these beads sewn into it and you put it in cold water. The cold water make these beads swell up and become pretty cold. If it gets warm and you still need it, just get it in cold water again. A couple of weeks ago when I fell, I took one of the cold packs out of the freezer and wrapped it in a towel and placed it against my hip. I got mine in 1999 so I am sure they have improved on them. I'm sure you can buy them on Amazon or maybe even an outdoors shop. Lots of sporting good stores carry the bandanas.

Janetr yes I like the Japanese Maple

Meg, a work 'retreat' should indicate a relaxing experience. Unless you are leading it.

Heather, so glad you and your friend had a good day, that sunset sounds amazing. Sorry it ended up in an argument.

Carol, NC, thanks so much for checking in. It is so good to know that you have reading. I have never had depression so i can't empathize with you on it. But I would not want to remain in that dark part of my mind for a long time. I can send you a big hug and suggest that you get a big fluffy pillow and pound on that thing as often as you need to. Of course with your other arm. I love to listen to music when I am down.

Sylvia, I love the Justice stores. we have two here, one in the mall, think lots of cars, hard to find a spot and one in a strip mall. Trinity used to love that store. If you wore clothes with that signature Justice heart on them then you knew you were OK. So I always felt very comfortable just going in and know I could easily find an outfit. They have wonderful sales, the staff is wonderful. Now when she got into 8th grade she changed. I was wondering how long it would last, if she would be comfortable as a teenager getting cloths form there. And she wasn't. She was a teenager Grandma! But her sister Ellie still loves it and since she is not a kid who likes to wear dresses, I know exactly what to find for her. And their online is easy also.

DJ, the are dwarf Japanese maples.

We wen to Lowes tonight and this nicest man was helping us. He told us all about what kind of plants grew in what kind of soil, what trees had roots that grew straight down and what grew roots like our Silver maple. So when I asked about Lowes installation he then told us that Lowes is his very part time job. His real job is a general contractor that does everything, including landscaping and painting and gutter clean up and cover. So we are going to set up a time for him to look at everything and gives us an estimate. Charlie is still real hesitant to go on with anything else until he gets a bill for his Remicade infusion. Once he has his initial loading which is two more treatments, he will need ti every 8 weeks.

Well the tree is gone. They still have to come back tomorrow to finsish grinding down the roots and they haven't touched the stump yet. Our poor back yard looks like a gopher made a mess out of it. Those roots are everywhere. He is grinding down and leaving about a 2 inch deep recess so that eventually our yard will be flat. They were having a hard time getting the last bit of stump sawed and started cutting into pie shaped pieces so that they could could it out in pieces. I had them save out 2 pieces and I am going to have them sealed so they can be weather proof and put them somewhere in y landscaping in front.

OK, got to sign off now
    Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Heather - Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm glad that your visit with your friend is going well.

Alison - It is no way to live.

Janetr - I've considered getting my brows tattooed after the brow re-construction was a fail. I'm currently seeing if Biotin and Horse tail grass will help. Every time I have anaesthetic it gets worse.

Cheri - The compliment your husband gave you has to surely rank up there as a great NSV.

Lillian - Summer colds are the worst. Please take care of yourself.

DJ - If I go for it I will be sure to find a nice piece of leather. lol

MNMargaret - How did you find out they were Russians? You do lead an interesting life.

Pip - There is no way I could handle an affair; dealing with one man is a challenge never mind two.
    So glad you have a list of questions for the Doc.

Colleen - 50 is behind me and since then I've had at least one colonoscopy every year. Prep is not fun but the procedure....they give me a sedative and I have a nice , little nap. My cancer was caught this way and this is the reason I am still here. Not my favourite thing but......everyone should get one.

Terri - Thank you. What would I do without you ladies.

Joyce- Remicade has made such a difference in my brother's life. He gets his infusion every 7 weeks.

We took DGS to the airport this morning and the other came along. Those two bugged me for the entire trip up. They laughed so hard.
    DH and his belief that the world should work on his time had us almost not get Creedin to Security on time. I had to run with him and resulted in Grandpa not getting to say the Good-bye that he wanted.

Breakfast at Ricki's, a trip to Ikea and a visit with my beautiful niece rounded out our Calgary experience. We stopped in Nanton to look at pontoon boats. Yes, they're nice. Yes, I would love one. We can't afford it so it stresses me out. The old boat will just have to do..

Claresholme A&W for supper. Definitely not my healthiest eating day!

Back to work in the a.m. and then to Costco.
    Good night
    Melting
    -Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,813 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    my post last night ,poofed on me
    anyway yesterday at work was a bear.. I came home and took 3 tylenol and went to bed, and not once overnight did I get up to pee, did'nt even wake up until 5 this morning..
    dont go to work until 12:30 so am taking the car over early for an oil change which is right across the street from the gym, so will go over there while the car is getting done,,,,
    Tom didnt say much about what I wrote.. but it felt good to write it down to tell him.
    did go see the kidney Dr yesterday.. well what she was looking for and why she was so upset last time and I had to have the extra bloodwork ,is she was looking for cancer :o in the thyroid.. well the blood work came back fine..
    she showed me bloodwork from 2010, and now and not much has changed !! so I am still stage 3 and have been that way for close to 8 yrs, no diet restrictions except for low sodium.. and keep it up at the gym...
    so I guess that is great news...
    and thank you all for all your love~it means the world to me <3