WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm back in the fold. About time too. I didn't know how much I missed MFP and all the support, until I got back in. MFP is by far the best place for me - for losing weight, keeping it off, and (especially) feeling good while I'm doing it. It lifts my spirits just to know I'm doing something good for myself. BTW, for those of you who go back a ways with me, the pic is of me with 4 of my grandkids. We were in the kitchen cooking...a moment that needed to go down in posterity.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ! ! !

Carol – Hugs ! I hope you are able to work through your depression quickly. Take Care and know we are all pulling for your success.

Janetr – Good to know about Shemar. I’m pretty certain he will NOT be my third husband, but I will keep dreaming.

Sylvia – what your hubby did to you is a HUGE pet-peeve for me, too. I love stopping at those little farm stands, because the produce is so fresh. My ex used to drive past them, and he didn’t care how bad of a meltdown I had. Now my DH will drive past the first, but knows better than to drive past the next place I mention that I want to stop (again, live at home or find your things in the bushes?) It is rare that we are in such a hurry to get anywhere that there isn’t time to make the wife happy, and I always allow him to sit in the car (or bar, or food court, etc depending on where I want to shop). I’m glad he finally allowed you to shop, because you deserve to be happy too. Hugs !

Renny – thanks! That felt good to read. You matter, too ! ! !

Michele – My DH has learned to not challenge me when I want to work-out, so I stayed late at work and rode the bike for another 20 minutes, and was still able to have 2 pieces of the Pizza he brought home for supper (not cooking after work is often my goal). I still have about 2/3 of a bag of cherries.

Last night I struggled between pain and not being tired, so I listened to a weight loss podcast while DH did his snoring. It helped keep my mind off the pain, but I think I will listen to it a few more times, because even though it was a “first in a series”, I think it will take a few more times for it to sink in. But it did mention some of the things you wonderful ladies have posted on this thread (liking myself, breath in place of stress, find gratitude, etc). Thanks to Barbie and everyone else who suggested the podcasts. I even listened to a few minutes of it this morning while I used the handbike, because my RA is pretty big in my right foot today; it feels like there is a superball in my shoe under my big toe.

Speaking of colonoscopy - what perfect timing. The PigglyWiggly has apple juice on sale for $0.99 each with no limit posted. I plan to stock-up. I understand the Gatorade is on the prep list, and that is $0.69 per bottle limit of 6 bottles, so I will stock up on that too (I like the white cherry flavor, and if I hide it in my underwear drawer, DS won’t drink it).

Speaking of DS, his friend decided to not attend the State Fair yesterday, and also decide to not tell him, so DS stayed home all day yesterday, thinking he could get the call any minute. So, after I chatted with the boys mom, I told DS to start making other plans. Well, that took on a life of its own. There are now a total of 4 boys going to the State Fair together on Saturday, and they are then planning to spend the night at the house of one of those boys. Should be interesting. I’m just so thankful that they can act like we did at that age. Too many kids don’t get to enjoy their childhood anymore (too much pressure from parents regarding sports, too much time in front of a screen for TV or videogames, etc). I remember putting on my swim suit and a pair of shorts and spending the whole day at the City pool, coming home for supper, then going back out to play kickball or softball in the street until the streetlights came on, then lightning bugs in someone’s yard until Mom called us in for bed. It was GREAT. Now, I know some of you are thinking that I have my kid over-booked in sports, but if you could hear our conversations, you wouldn’t believe how much more he thinks he can do but I tell him no. He even thinks that this winter he can play on both the High School basketball and bowling teams at the same time. Because, basketball will come first, and he will go to bowling practices and matches when there is no basketball. Plus, he is trying to create his own Travel Bowling Team. There must be about 36 or more hours in this kids’ day. Today he is in the weight room with the basketball team, then goes to the Dentist when DH gets home from work.

Tonight after work I drive to the radio station to pick up the Justin Moore concert tickets that I won for tomorrow night at the State Fair. I will probably attend alone, because no one has responded wanting to attend with me. That’s ok, because it means I can be comfortable, since they are probably bleacher seats and it’s supposed to be 80 degrees outside today, which means closer to 90 or better with all the people.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (the lion was seen again, now about 10 miles north of the latest sighting)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to the Facebook Photo Album I made of our visit to the Nesselrod Bed & Breakfast in Radford, Virginia.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10206645743534657.1073741832.1604898932&type=1&l=05006b2a89

Cheri in NE Ohio
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Lillian, so sorry about your cold. I hate any but a summer cold is the worst. Sending healing thoughts your way. ((Hugs))

Michele NC, I had a feeling you would have fun playing R in the pool, no matter how your game pieces worked out. That was cool of you to figure out how to make everything.

Joyce, how is Charlie doing with his treatments? I’m anxious for the yard to be finished and get pictures of it.

Sharon, “horse tail grass”???? You have to explain that one for me. LOL It sounds like your trip to the airport was an experience in itself.

Miriam,
    I do think what we have are Dwarf Barberry shrubs. Ours have some thorns but I haven’t noticed any berries.

Lisa, glad there is a silver lining and you are getting staffed back up. Now if they are just all there to do their jobs you should be able to get things turned around pretty quickly. Good luck! I know you are looking forward to that trip.

Sylvia, you walked 69 miles last week?? Woo Wee You go gurl!!!

Litnbug, welcome, neighbor. You live just up the road from me.  Unfortunately there are lots of people with large families that have no support system. This group of ladies gives excellent support. I have one suggestion, if you want to lose weight and keep it off: give up on diets and adopt a new lifestyle. This thing is a lifelong journey that works. Many of us have successfully lost weight on diets only to gain it back plus more. Please tell us a bit more about yourself to help us get to know you. Also, we ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location. Come often and join right in.

Katla, have a safe and fun trip.

Jodi, welcome. You have joined and now you just need to tell us about yourself. Come often and post when you want. And please sign each post as it makes it so much easier to respond.

Grits and Sluts,
    when I come back to this forum each day, it takes me back to where I left off. If you do this marking thing and you have two pages left to read, it will show up at the end of those two pages. But if you just log back in it will take you to the last page you were on.

Has anyone talked to or seen Dee Dee lately? I know she doesn’t post as often as many of us but I’m missing her. I hope all is okay.

Mimi, welcome back. I love your profile picture!

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I’m starting to lay out things to pack for my trip to Texas. I don’t know why but I’m a little irritable today? I find myself snapping at DH when he doesn’t even deserve it. At least being aware, I’m trying to be civil, but feeling a bit off. I’ve never minded flying but the past few years I’ve come to dread it. When I was young it was almost a thing of privilege and now it feels like the slum mode of transportation to me. You are so cramped that it is uncomfortable and they have taken away any of the comforts that used to come with flying. Also just this morning on GMA, they had a story about all the complaints about the airlines, most of which were about not being on time. But I’m really looking forward to seeing my niece and nephew and their children and my ex-SIL who I have always loved even after my brother divorced her. I don’t know if I’ll have much time to post but will do my best to keep up. For sure I’ll log my food and drinks.
    I hate that some of you are going through such struggles. Know how much I wish the best for all of you and I wish you all a happy and healthy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,725 Member
    Options
    MORNING PEEEEEEEPPPPPSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

exermom and jmkmomm - it was me that was awake for the colonoscopy. they kept me numb down there and reduced my drugs so that they could nudge me awake to see the screen.

annr - bag balm smells good. i was raised on a farm.

rode home for the last two days, taking the day off today cuz I have to ride home thurs and fri to go see the docs.
    today the shoulder is hurting more than usual... :0/ but not crazy bad, don't want u getting the wrong idea
    type to ya later!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone!

Mimi - I can't tell you how glad I am to see you! <3 Missed you. Love the photo!

Well, ladies ...........wait for it ............... I HAVE ACCEPTED AN OFFER ON MY RENTAL! :drinker: Not the asking price, but the figure I first thought I would accept without grief.
    I can hardly believe it! ! ! ! ! ! ! Keep all fingers crossed it goes through without hitch. :D

We had a lovely meal, Fish and Chips, in the New Forest today. Once upon a time I would have eaten it all, but I was able to leave most of the batter and most of the chips (fries). The actual cod was delicious.
    We walked for an hour and a half through the forest, so it was a very good day.
    I came back and prepared roasted butternut squash, garlic and parsley chilli prawns and mangetout for tonight. As we say over here, "I'm knackered!" My friend has gone to bed for a nap.

My new pink top arrived in the mail. Haven't tried it on yet.

Love to all, Heather UK
    27681614.png

Forgot to say that as I was getting my friend's breakfast plate ready this morning I saw something fall out of the corner of my eye. There was the most ALMIGHTY crash! I had no idea what had happened, but a ceiling light with three large, glass plates had just fallen off the ceiling and landed on the floor. Glass everywhere! ! ! We are still picking it up from far away places! Good job I wasn't standing underneath it! We will have to replace all four light fittings. :'(
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,357 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, what a great thread! I don't have time to look at all 31 pages of posts before mine right now, but will go back later so I can get a feel for who everyone is.

I'm a 55-year-old woman on a journey to lose weight and and feel healthier in general. I am a breast cancer survivor and the treatment really took a lot out of me, so my quest right now is to just take back my life! I am happy to say I had an "all clear" follow-up on Monday and am now moved out to every 6-month follow ups, so YEA on that subject! :smiley:

I struggle with cravings in the evening for something sweet (ice cream usually). So, my goal this month is to get away from the 8 p.m. bowl of ice cream and significantly decrease sugar in my diet. This will not be an easy task since everyone else in my house can eat anything and not gain a pound!

I hope to get to know you all better as time goes on. Thank you for creating this group. Have a wonderful day!

Tracie
    Green Bay, WI
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Terri - cracked me up, he can't be yours cuz if anything happen to Jack, Shemar will def by my 4th. Not sure how I'll break the news to HIm tho. Thanks for the laugh.

Cheri in NE Ohio - Wow, wow, wow. Thanks for the pictures. I was just trying to "transport"myself into the pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Janetr OKC
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Down another half today :)<3
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Heather - HOORAY, and happy dances and all that good stuff on the rental sale. Whoa watch out for those falling light fixtures, what the heck happened. Glad for you.

Janetr OKC
  • terri_mom
    Options
    Heather – So glad you were not under the light fixture that fell. Congrats on the offer on your rental. Woohoo !

Janetr – as far as Shemar is concerned, I’m sure he’s feisty enough to share (twice a week should be enough for me lol ). I just started the conversation once with : “next time, when I marry Vin Diesel, he is not going to eat all of my breakfast and leave my plate empty”. Now I sometimes say: “Next time, when I marry Derrick Morgan, . . . “ Or “hey, my third husband is on the TV right now. What could possibly be more important?”

Tracie – when I have enough strength, while DS and DH are eating ice cream, I have a big glass of skim or 1% milk. Most of the time that works. But I’m at the beginning of my journey still, so my strength comes and goes. I’m sure you will get plenty of suggestions, and at least one is bound to work for you.

Bkrimpet – Congrats. Keep it going ! ! !

Hugs ! Terri in Milwaukee
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Terri - Lol I have to say such thots have not occurred to me (but then I'm way older than you). I'm sure Jack will be glad to hear it. Although he does know I think Shemar is a hottie and neither of us miss Criminal Minds.

Janetr OKC

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day-got a good report from dr.yeah.No more muscle relaxers,back is doing good.
    hugs
    jane
  • pjnva
    pjnva Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This thread is soo active! I love it but it is hard to keep up. :p I have been walking a bitt everyday this week and increasing my steps and intensity. Today I even cleaned the guest bedroom, spent two hours thoroughly cleaning the baseboards, cracks and crevices. I guess that'll work for some mild cardio. I certainly don't want to overdo it. Tomorrow I'll do the upstairs hall and guest bathroom. The plan is to get the whole house done by next Thursday. I haves some help as my husband has been home since early April due to an injury at work.

Goals for remainder of week.
    8 cups water daily
    1200-1400 calories of heart healthy food
    Fruits or veggies with every meal
    Walk 3000 steps tomorrow increase by 500 each day.
    Balance my checkbook.

PJ in Va
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Tracie I am so happy for you that you are doing so well in your becoming well after cancer.

Tracie I am surprised as part of your cancer treatment they did not give you nutritional advice for after treatment care. Foods that spike your insulin should be suspect. I have yet to do it but Christine Northrup recommends that we all monitor our glucose reactions to foods. They think it is part of the key to inflammation in the body. Inflammation can create all sorts of problems like diabetes, cancer, heart diseases, and obesity.

I did unfortunately learn the dates I love so much are one of the worst offenders with spiking insulin. They will now be a rare treat.

Off to take three more grocery bags to Goodwill.

:heart: MNMargaret

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday. I enjoyed my day off and got a lot done. Cleaned house and got the newletter out for our CMA group. Went to the doctor and that went well. My AC1 was 5.4 and all over labs were in normal range. He did biospy a spot on my arm that has been sore for awhile and said he should know first of the week what if anything we need to do next. Last evening we took the furbabies out to Hall County park and walked. It is a nice walk and change of pace. We were all worn out when we got home. Weigh in yesterday was not good, up a little over a pound. But did well yesterday and was under calories. So new day, new week.

janetr--Congrates on the NSV with the pants. Glad you got to talk to your sister. I bet that helped a lot.

Several of the dear grandchildren are starting back to school today. Paytn who is in the 2nd grade and going to a new school this year went to an open house yesterday. DS was telling me her class does not have chairs. The students are going to be sitting on balls. He also told me the first thing they did was check out to her an Ipad. I must be getting old.

Sylvia--Glad you are feeling better. We have a Justis store in our mall and we did some of our christmas shopping last year for the grand daughters.

Sharon--no answer just sending HUGS.

Allison--sending HUGS for you also. Living and waiting for the other shoe to drop is so very stressful.

Cheri--staying in a B&B is one thing I have always wanted to do. Sounds like you have found a very nice one.

Sharron DC--Welcome, Come often and get to know us and us to know you. This is a great place for friendship and support.

You know that I so enjoy seeing all the pictures of you fit and doing so well. Then I see my picture and while I have lost over 125 pounds I have 70 + to still lose. But I keep telling myself One Day at a Time.

peacefultoo--Welcome,

Carol NC--Sorry you are having such a hard dark time. Sending prayers and hugs.

I am up to page 30 so will be back tomorrow. About thime to get off work and have to run to the post office. Have a good rest of the day and remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,725 Member
    Options
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Ok I will try again, pray! Gayle Minneapolis. To the previous question on weight to your advantage, what did you come up with?? Yesterday sessions this is what was discussed
  • terri_mom
    Options
    Vicki - Congrats on the weight you have already lost. That number just blows my mind. It has taken me months to remove 15 pounds, so I am in awe of your results. // Unfortunately, we are all getting old. My son started getting an iPad for homework in Fifth grade (at least the school checks them out instead of expecting us to purchase them). They are handy for homework and such. // My son goes to public school, but when daughter was in school she went to a Montessori, and they had steps to sit on, and balls, and bean bag chairs, and very few tables and chairs. Times really have changed, and it's hard to keep up. // You can do this - One Day At A Time ! ! ! :)
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    DJ Myrtle Beach, SC I was 33 when I got married. I had come to enjoy being single and had finally reached a state where I was content whenever I thought that marriage and children might never happen for me. Naturally, that was when I met DH and discovered there was a person in the world with whom I wanted to spend my days. Fortunately he felt the same way and we will be celebrating our 28th anniversary in a little less than 2 weeks – the 24th.

Joyce, Indiana – I did not know that about heat and MS. Thanks for the info. I looked up various cooling products. There is a wide variety out there. It’s good to know and I’m going to try some to see if they help with the heat of a glass studio.

Carol NC – Healing can be such a hard process. I’m glad you checked in. If we can help in any way (even if you just need to vent) please let us know.

When on the road with DH he knows he has to respond verbally if I suggest stopping and he does not want to. Otherwise, we are stopping. Of course, this is because he hates to drive so I am usually in the driver’s seat. Not stopping for requested bathroom breaks is a really bad idea when travelling with me. When I have to go, I have to go. No holding it in until the next exit for this gal.

Mia in MI

August goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Get at least one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced Tea overload. 16 oz. iced tea daily plus 48 oz. water