WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    bean%20soup_zpsd3nm9iy3.jpg

This is my simple bean soup from yesterday with beans, chicken stock, and kelbasa. I added zucchini, rice, and celery to it today :-)
    Becca
    (self-proclaimed Soup Queen)
  • bjlshops
    bjlshops Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

Hope you don't mind someone new hopping in at the middle of the month. Glancing through the posts, this seems to be a welcoming group.

I'm almost 50... 49 1/2... wife, mom of two boys, and go-to person at work.

I came within 5 pounds of goal last year. Gained most of it back when oldest had surgery in February. Since then, I've maintained but haven't seriously tried to attack the gain. I want to start by taking of the 30 gained, then reassess the next goal. I struggle with neuropathy, but am determined to lose the weight and regain fitness.

My resolve is back to hit goal. My first step on this path is to:
    1. Log ALL food daily.
    2. Exercise 5 of 7 days.
    3. Maintain accountability.

Bea from Tennessee.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    sluts - just doin my job mam, just doin my job

@pipcd34 -You're so good at it, too! o:)

@Lilymay2 - Hasn't anybody told you that ALL husbands are 'babies' when they get sick? Generally, not just a little bit either. However, when my DH is 'sick' and misses work, you might just be ready to call an ambulance on him. I'm on a high protein, low calorie diet, and I do exercise (a lot) and my tummy is going down seemingly without any sagging. I can't think of 'any' diet that tells you NOT to exercise (unless, of course) your MD has told you not to do so because of other underlying health problems. I've got one DDnL think thinks I am 'crazy' and makes no bone about it either. My 'new' DDnL (lives in Louisiana) and she thinks a lot of me, because I am her DH's mother and shows me a lot of respect and love. My DDnL that treats me like I don't know doo-doo lives next door. It's obvious that she has said things to or in front of my 2 DGDs because of some of the ways they act. I don't worry about it, my DGD know that I love them and we have a lot of fun together when it is only us. My DOGD, always at college, calls us twice a week, sometimes more. She is, still at 19, willing to go on a vacation with us and looks forward to it.

@BarbieCat - I'm with you on the kitchen remodel. Guess it makes me happy that we don't have the money either. I'd like to reface the doors on the cabinets to Shaker style and have some more built around the window that we keep the blinds closed because we have a metal shelf there. They always say that you have to live in a house for a while to figure out what you would do different. I've found that to be true in the 6 houses we've lived in during our 43 years of marriage. We're (I'm) retired so this is the house we'll be in until they take up out in a pine box or something. If I had know how crowded it would be to put 7 rooms of furniture into basically 5; I would have made it 6' longer and 4' wider. And 'if' the county had allowed us to do it; I would have put the front side on the back (or west side) of our house - but, 'no go' the front door had to face the road, even though we are well off the road and don't even use the door at all.
    Hello to all. I just skimmed through the posts. Heather, I'm glad the glass missed you. I once had a glass I was holding shatter into a million tiny pieces. I feel your pain cleaning up!

:/ How can I get back to this thread without having to wend my way through 20 or more 50+ threads? I clicked the star hoping that would bookmark the thread but no go.

Baby, it's hot outside. Yikes. I'm helping my mom clean out bookshelves. Those trips to the car are killer. (And I'm a big wuss!) The paper forecast 118 for Palm Springs. I should be thankful it's only 100 or so here.

I'm happy to be back and good choices are going well, even though I'm visiting my parents. Making good food choices when I'm away from home has always been a challenge, so I count this as a win.

I found out that my sister started back with MFP the same day I did. Hurray! I love being able to share the journey.

You have to follow the thread that is given at the end of the month and then bookmark it and it will take you to the newest one (or should).

I'm happy that I can now 'drive' . . . sometimes it was a 'real B****' to have to make arrangements for a place to spend the day and have someone cart me around. Knock on wood, have not had a seizure in a year (first part of this month). It's nice to go get in your car and go where you please, when you please. Sometimes I would 'ride' in with my husband and either get to my appointment early and then go to my BF's house until he picked me up; or she'd come get me and take me to the appointment and come back and get me. She's gone back to work, so it wasn't like we could just do whatever we pleased. I hate it that she has gone back to work; but, she was driving herself crazy at home (and at the time had her DGS living with her and he staying 'in trouble' with the law). She finally let him 'spend' his time 'in jail' and would not 'bail him out'. This only after one of her sisters had gotten her 'fill' of him, too. Now he seems like he is doing 'ok', got a job, planning on going back to school. He needed to 'grow up' that was for sure. Sometimes it was just hard on me not to be able to 'speak my peace' without getting return 'dumping'. I'm sure y'all know people like that (even if they are your BFs).

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: I am so glad you have set a date for surgery. I hope it turns out really well and that you're able to enjoy your bike ride in September. :flowerforyou:

Mimi: I don't know why the star didn't work for you. There is a star at the top of this page that is an outline. If you click on it, it turns golden. :star: Then when you come another day you go to Community and click on the gray star in the right side of the screen. It brings you here. I'm glad to see you. It has been too long! :heart:

Margaret: Your framed rose is gorgeous! :flowerforyou:

I went on a trail ride today with my riding teacher. It was so much fun! We rode on trails wide enough for two to ride abreast set in the forest on a private horse ranch. We did not ride abreast, however. Sometimes I rode ahead and sometimes she did. There were many other groups riding, but we only encountered them a few times. The owner invites a huge number of people from the area to enjoy his trails once a year. WOW!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Meg, I have the stilestone made with quartz and I don't put anything under toaster or crock pot. I don't set hot pot from the stove or over directly on it and not sure it would hurt but it's not that sensative. You enjoy!!

DJ
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Grits, I went back and read about your accident. How awful! I'm so glad you didn't lose your arm. We had our house remodeled a couple of years ago. Combined three rooms into one great room. I love it, but it was a huge ordeal. Right in the middle I had my first heart problems. They were installing the cabinets when I came home from the hospital.

Lillian, you got that right, about husbands with colds being big babies. If I'm deathly sick we still have to go to the lake, but if he gets the sniffles, it's too much trouble. Not that I mind. The lake is his thing, not mine. But somehow my illness is not as important as his. That's what irks me.

Pip, you continue to amaze me. To postpone surgery for a painful injury till after your bike race...you should get some kind of medal for determination.

Bea, welcome! You've come to the right place. What kind of work do you do? Most importantly, do you have dogs? Cats?

This morning I got up early and set off on my morning walk and was more that halfway through my circuit when I realized I had forgotten my Fitbit! Drat! No credit. My phone says it was 6,900 steps, but my Fitbit said zero. So, I'm going out in a little while to repeat that first circuit. Gotta keep my stats up. I have to show 10,000 for today or it will break my streak.

Then I went to get my hair cut. FINALLY somebody listened to what I wanted! I love it. It's short and sassy! I hope I can style it well enough. It's sort of a wash and wear style, so it ought to be easy. I got the stylists card and will go back to her again.

I got a new cordless hand vac that is supposed to be good at removing pet hair. It's charging at the moment, so I don't know how well it works, but I'm hopeful. That darned Spot sheds more than any dog I've ever had. Fingers crossed.

Well, the sun has gone down enough to shade the street, so I'd better get started walking. Have a great evening!

Sylvia

• gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Sylvia- picture of hair cut???? I went to the local aquatics center this morning and completed the water aerobics class for the first time. Talked about using MFP to help me lose weight. Love you guys for the support all though I lurk more than I talk.
    Gayle of Idaho
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    bux3okks62h3.jpg

Been busy with Momma Carly and her adorable 4 kittens the past few days. They are just under one pound each and will be with us until they are all two pounds (4-6 weeks). They are adorable and playful.

I have been a little weepy today. Tomorrow we take daughter#1 to college for the first time and I think it has finally hit me that she is leaving. I am really going to miss her, even though I am happy and excited for her.

@megblair1 "Someone out there has quartz countertops too…is it true you have to use hot pads under toasters, crock pots, etc? I think that’s a little excessive, but it’s what the care instructions say." I have Quartz countertops and I do not do that.

Well off to get some steps in because I'm only at 4700 for the day. :(

Linda /IA
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Finally got around to adding a picture to my profile
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Finally got around to adding a picture to my profile

You look awesome.....I see by your profile that you've lost a lot of weight.....please post a before picture to go with your current one.

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Would you like to see before, during, and after of our kitchen remodel? It's been a couple of years, but I had the pictures in my Facebook album. ep3xeswisg8y.jpg
    1ebqj0q1c76h.jpg
    298l9lyfzfia.jpg
    uv8qa3kkmhr7.jpg
    nw9wab4edgbo.jpg
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I thought I already shared my before and after photos, but we have gotten several new folks since then. Before is Roughly Jan 2014 and the after is March of 2015.bo372e0q2ixc.jpg
  • drkatiebug
    Options
    They came out in a weird order! The top one is after. The second is after kitchen but before dining room wall paper was removed and sunroom added. The next two are before, and the last is after of the dining room.
  • drkatiebug
    Options
    @miakoda40, that is an amazing transformation in a year.

• mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies,
    Good day so far..still watched movies Cuz we are having torrential down pours and huge right over head lightning. My sister and I are lucky we were the only houses here fifty years ago when our now road was our driveway...somehow we are hard wired better to the electric supply bc the whole road can be in a black out and we are always on! Planning on pedaling soon even though it's late. All this healthy eating and talk of recipes has me cooking again for the first time in years. My grown kids are loving it...well mostly the boys are vegetable avoiders so they boycott some of it.
    Katla I used to own a couple of horses! Riding is one of my favorite things to do but I can't afford to nowadays. When my BF and I go on VACA each year we always go for a local trail ride (and then bookend it w a massage and Advil!). Did u get a pic?
    Molly the first thing I ask whenever ANYONE comes over repairmen even is " are you comfortable with very large very friendly dogs?" My girls Whinny and LuLu mean so much to me! Did you take your pup to the vet? Mine needs her biannual check up soon(AKA lecture from the vet about her being obese...she's a lab and eats EVERYTHING my bloodhound is normal weight just big. Please give me your opinion of the hand vac as I need one badly...my fam jokes about our FURniture.
    Well off to put together tonight's casserole...chunked browned chicken breast in white wine layered with whole milk mozzarella Parmesan and tomatoes from my garden, olive oil to brown the chicken and fresh basil...I think I better make a small separate pan for myself w a smaller amount of cheese. Would love to add asparagus or red pepper that I have but I think the boys would flip.
    Goodnight Gals. Thanks for being there and sharing.
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    I thought I already shared my before and after photos, but we have gotten several new folks since then. Before is Roughly Jan 2014 and the after is March of 2015.bo372e0q2ixc.jpg

Woooowwww!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    @miakoda40 ---yes, I had seen your before and after pictures but sometimes my memory needs a refresher....your transformation is inspiring.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of an advanced strength straining DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Jane Fonda Advanced workout. In previewing it, it doesn't look like it's going to be a real hard workout.

Well, exercised today, then went to the farmer's market. Came home and made a meatoaf for Vince for later in the week, some tofu parm for me, these blondies for Vince (for the life of me, I can't figure out why they're called blondies.) Am not too crazy about them. We're going to SC Tuesday to pick up some ceramic bisq for me so right now I'm making this crumb cake for the gal. It's her birthday Friday. Also made these crab cakes which I'll fry up tomorrow.

Lenora - I know one reason why you're still here. So that you can bring a smile to us on this forum.

DJ - Isn't it just frustrating when you crave something healthy and all you're served are unhealthy foods? I know that I get so frustrated

Lillian - I firmy believe that if you add/restrict a food group, you will gain the weight back. the only way not to gain it back is to make a lifestyle change. when Vince is sick, even something really minor, you would think the world was coming to an end! He mopes around the house moaning and groaning. Me? If I'm in bed in my pajamas, you KNOW that I'm real sick. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I was in bed in my pajamas. Vince always says how he likes bland food. I have no idea why he won't eat tofu. You can't get any blander than tofu. Oh, I know "real men don't eat tofu". Just don't tell him the times he does eat it, ok?

gaw.... - glad you didn't go to that town and get evacuated. So sorry about your ankle

Margaretturk - that framer did an awesome job

katla - I'm sorry you missed your riding lesson. I know how much you look forward to them. How neat you're going on a trail ride! I always loved them

mimi - did you click on the right star? You want to click on the one to the right of "women Ages 50+ for august 2105 (hey, barbie, it's 2015.....lol don't make me older than I am :) ) When that one turns yellow then you can just click on the star to the right of the bell and then the numbers and that'll show you all your bookmarks. Good for you making better food choices. How wonderful your sis joined MFP too.

Becca - I've heard that cayenne pepper is SUPPOSED to help with weight loss. Is that hotter than chili pepper? Unfortunately, Vince likes his big dinner of meat and potatoes. I've started having a big dinner, but mostly veges. Great that under stress, you made good choices. Say, is there a way you can pack up some of that soup and ship it to NC? I love soups in wintertime. I usually add lots of veges to my soups, mixed veges, whatever I happen to have. I like kale in it, sometimes spinach, different veges.

Melinda - I don't think yogurt with berries is bad at all.

Bea - the best time to join is right now, regardless of when in the month it happens to be. Welcome!

Just took one of those spinach/feta pies out of the oven. I'm going to start making them for the social. See, it's just me, but I live in fear of running out of food. As hosts, since we're using our house, we really shouldn't have to provide food. But I didn't the first time and I almost died when we ran out of food. Ever since then, I've made a few things. So this time I'll make a strawberry cheescake cake (mainly because I want to use some of the cream cheese that I got on sale) and some of these spinach/feta quiches. That's something I can make in advance, cut it into pieces, and then freeze it until the day of the social. I'm running out of room in my freezer....lol

Sylvia - don't you just love it when you find a hairstylist that you like? The one I go to right now I really like and am continuing to go back. Why did I ever in the first place go to that other place? I need to call Monday to see about getting my bangs trimmed and the ends trimmed Wednesday. What kind of cordless vac did you get?

Linda/IA - I'm in love!

drkatiebug - your kitchen looks great now.

mia - is that REALLY you???? What a transformation!

Michele in NC
  • topathemorning
    topathemorning Posts: 346 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Good evening ladies;
    Well, for a couple of days in the 115-117 degree range, I managed to get in water aerobics and a swim. Unfortunately I'm up two pound from last week, so I need to reset my mid August goals.
    1. Log in meticulously
    2. Cut carbs down to 1-2 a day (carbs as in my fav Central Milling Organic 6 Grain Pancake Mix)
    3. Swim or do water aerobics 5-6 days a week (I'm getting too many new freckles, and plan to swim in the wee hours of the morning or after the sun has set.

How are you all doing?

Moira