Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Replies

• raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Wish I could figure out what’s going on in my brain right now. Yesterday I went to Gordon Foods and bought a box of frozen brownies that I haven’t had for 18 months. I really wanted one. Got home and promptly took 2 out of the box (I think that is because that is how many I ate in one sitting pre surgery and weight loss) and popped them into the microwave. I ate both of them even though I was satisfied with one. About 10 min later I was ill from too much sugar.

As if that wasn’t bad enough I didn’t have time to fix breakfast this morning so I stopped in the cafeteria to pick something up. I got an English muffin and I have Laughing Cow cheese here at work so I had ½ of an English muffin with a wedge of Laughing Cow. Just right. Then I decided to get a full order of bacon. 4 strips! Again, I ate it all even though 2 strips of bacon is my limit and now I sit here feeling queasy.

Why oh why am I reverting to old habits when I know I cannot eat that much? What is going on in my thinking that I am allowing (even forcing) myself to eat to the point of feeling sick? I’ve got a serious need for some introspection here.

Mia in MI

August goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Get at least one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced Tea overload. 16 oz. iced tea daily plus 48 oz. water

There but the grace of God go I,
    The love of my life made brownies last night. I checked my diary and found I could have one if I did not eat any more fats or carbs, we'll maybe I went a little over.....Any how our boys are home for college and my Husband employed them to eat them. They happily complied.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    @Poerava14 Yep he appreciates me! He is taller than me, and he daily leans on me when we are sitting on the couch, and hugs me like when he was little. He still is my cuddle bug.

Becca

Wow, Becca, that's great most kids and especially boys won't do that by this age. Soak it up :)

ah believe me I AM. He shall be going into the Navy soon, (he is a Junior so another year yet). I do not think its fair that I get him for 18 years, and the Navy gets him for 20! My other two sons turned 18 in boot camp!
    Becca
    (not looking forward to being an empty nester)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,122 Member
    d5xjxhxnah6m.jpg

d5xjxhxnah6m.jpg

Yippee, my second dumbbell arrived today....but since it is almost 4 PM on Friday after already walking the dogs for three and half hours and teaching the two hour line dance class and doing a small part of my weight routine, I'll just unpack the dumbbell parts and wait until Sunday to use them for my workout

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • Annr
    @fanncy0626 Um I have NEVER actually done a real live cartwheel I have to confess. When I was a little girl I would see my cousin who took gymnastics do one, then I would try. My body would try but plowing your body into the ground via your hands is not a great memory! And I would get a running start at it too! We had soft lawns back then, so it mostly ending with me erupting in contagious laughter!

Becca
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited August 2015
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Yippee, my second dumbbell arrived today....but since it is almost 4 PM on Friday after already walking the dogs for three and half hours and teaching the two hour line dance class and doing a small part of my weight routine, I'll just unpack the dumbbell parts and wait until Sunday to use them for my workout

<3 Barbie from NW Washington

Nice!

Mary from Minnesota
  • raymax4
    I have found if I add licorice or anise tea It sweetens my other tea, It only works if you like the flavor though.
    Jasmine flowers also gives a nice flavor.
  • Annr
    Wholly bejesus!! So I have a nice walk today with my ladies. 4.3 miles! When I got home it settled in and I napped. From 11am to 3pm!!!!! My husband said one hour for every mile. What is up with that??? I had some great artisan whole wheat bread and an egg this morning. Took my vitamins, drank water afterwards. So when I got up a bit ago, (because my husband yelled that we had an elk out the side door), I had fixed myself a tomato sandwich with spinach, then stole a cookie from my husbands snack drawer..... Bad Becca. But it was a chocolate striped fudge cookie so I am not feeling any guilt.
    I know when I definately run out of energy.... I didn't feel bad walking or anything.
    Becca the sleeping lady....
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,030 Member
  • Annr
    raymax4 wrote: »
    I have found if I add licorice or anise tea It sweetens my other tea, It only works if you like the flavor though.
    Jasmine flowers also gives a nice flavor.

I have been having herbal peppermint tea (with a packet of truvia) and it is really nice for my digestive system. It calms it down so I sleep without any cartwheels in my stomach during the night. Veggies, or grains used to not be my friend. Now bring them on!
    Becca
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,197 Member
    Raymax4 I sometimes drink a blend called Tea Source Spice. It has cinnamon in it and that gives it a sweet taste.
    :heart: MNMargaret
  • raymax4
    Raymax4 I sometimes drink a blend called Tea Source Spice. It has cinnamon in it and that gives it a sweet taste.
    :heart: MNMargaret

I'll look into it thanks
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    lk1fdis6ys02.jpg

Cheri NE Ohio
    hug.jpg 62.9K
  • raymax4
    csofled wrote: »
    lk1fdis6ys02.jpg

Cheri NE Ohio
    back at you
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,466 Member
    Did 30 minutes of a horizontal conditioning DVD. Boy, is that challenging! I couldn't even do the entire DVD. So I did 30 minutes of Leslie Lsanson's walking DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a double down DVD.

After exercising, had breakfast then we went and cut the rest of the grass. Vince was on one medication (I don't even remember which one it was) that said "avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight". But he never had a problem. Now the amardoione (hope I spelled that right), he felt a burning sensation on his skin yesterday which is why we only did 1/2 of the yard yesterday and the other 1/2 today. Personally, I would have liked to have done it all yesterday, but that wasn't to be.

Went to lunch for these two gals who have been in Newcomers for a long time and used to run the mahjongg. It was a nice lunch, I had an egg white omelette. I asked for salsa and I think they misunderstood because I think there was some sort of cheese in it. I did get the mushrooms and spinach in it, tho. Just had water (no ice) to drink. Came home and for some reason I was really tired so I laid down, got up and had dinner now here.

janetr - I don't think roasting mushrooms smell bad. But I've told you how pickey Vince is. If it even SMELLS weird to him, it's bad. uuuggghhhh How wonderful of your daughter to go back to college! She really wants it, that's for sure.

Rori - can't wait to see you. How neat that the Colorado condo appraised higher. I volunteer to oversee things, too.

Sylvia - I hope you listen to DJ, she's wise

Dim4mom - I tend to snack on things, regardless if I'm hungry or not, if I'm bored.

Barbie - you only need one dumbell for concentration curls :) You can do a tricep kickback using one dumbell, also an overhead tricep. If you have the weight high enough, you can even get by doing a deadlift. And don't forget back rows. You can do bicep curls one arm at a time. So there's no reason you absolutely need two weights (trying to look on the bright side here). Glad you go that second dumbell

Before we went out to cut the grass I took some carrots, cleaned them up, and had them ready to munch on. I also portioned out some tomatoes. I'll go to the farmer's market tomorrow and probably get more. This guy's are so so sweet.

Lenora - I live in NC at the foothills of the mountains. Went to Belk's but didn't find any chocolate brown shorts. Found lots of white ones that would be really nice if they were brown. We used to live in the Poconos and the first time it snowed when we were here, you could see the grass thru the snow. Well, Vince had an MD appt so he brushed off the car, went there, and there was no one there. Fortunately, the MD was there but the entire parking lot was empty. We've since learned how people are real religious about their snow "God put it here, God will take it away". The good thing is that by the afternoon, the snow is usually melted. For the life of me, I can't understand why when snow is predicted so many people run to the food store and buy milk, eggs, and bread. You would think you were going to be snowed in for a week!

Joyce - I have a problem asking for a "to go" box. For one thing, that's something that I really don't want in my refrig. But the other thing is that if the food is there, I'll eat it. That's one of the reasons I try to order small portions of things. When they're gone, they're gone.

Heather - how do you do it not gaining weight? You're amazing. Whenever I do lateral raisses, I need to use a lower weight. Don't go too high if you're doing something for the rotator cuff. That's a small muscle

Lisa - I didn't realize you were lactose intolerant (or maybe I just didn't remember). Have you ever had the Arctic Zero ice cream? Even Vince, who is a confirmed chocoholic, says it is very choclatey. But it isn't creamy like ice cream. Well, that's because it's made for the lactose intolerant. It's also pretty low in calories. Whenever we go away, I always really clean the house. Vince laughs and says "what are you cleaning for, the robbers?" but I hate coming home to a mess. Congrats on that great weight loss. Have a great time, you deserve this.

About artificial sweeteners: I don't use them, or at least I really try to limit and then only if something has just Splenda in it. I do try to avoice that acesulpha potassium (I know I spelled that wrong) as it's been shown to be nasty stuff.

terri - good for you calling your husband out. That's horrible what he did to you! Glad your tooth is healing

Carey - I've found that Goodwill is more expensive than Salvation Army. Also, the SA to me has better stuff

Becca - doing a happy dance for you

Welcome everyone new

Mia - don't tell Vince this, but when I've made brownies, many times instead of the oil I've substituted silken tofu. He can't see it, and it really helps to keep the calories down. the tofu takes on the flavor of the brownies. As a matter of fact, he's asked me to make them a few times.

Gotta go take a shower (and, yes, I am going to use soap...lol)

Michele in NC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,811 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hi ladies! Caught up on the reading/skimming.

My eating is out of control again ... Pretty certain this is stress related. Exercise has been on hold as back healed from lifting injury.

Tonight my son was trying to help me workout ... Light barbells, a weighted ball ... And then he thought I should try his speed bag and heavy bag. Well, I don't think we've laughed so hard. Let's just say I'm a little uncoordinated! Son nearly died laughing when I attacked the heavy bag ... Really getting some good shots on there ... When the bag fell out of the ceiling! Ummm ... I think hardware checks are in order in the future.

We are taking a "quick" trip to Nashville on Monday so son can tour two schools he's interested in ... Belmont and Lipscomb. Husband is going too since it's a 12+ hour drive from New York. I wouldn't even consider these schools but for the fact I have a good friend who lives just 10 miles outside of Nashville. Even so my stomach is in knots about this. We will be looking closer to home for our next prospective school. Son is behind the eight ball on the school search ... So we're feeling pressure to move quickly on all of this.

Beth in WNY

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Becca, doing *Happy Dance* for you. Way to go!!! And happy trails on the pounds ahead. No cartwheels in my wheelhouse, perfect or otherwise.

Mia, forget the introspection, just “STEP AWAY FROM THE FATTENING FOOD”. (ya gotta hear this in a deep James Earl Jones voice, for it to be effective.) Get a grip, gurl. You know we hate it when we do that to ourselves, so just STOP!!! And to carry it to the next day, no less. Maybe you need the phone number to a Crisis Hotline? Don’t you wish there was a pill we could take when that demon takes over our body?? I feel like Flip Wilson when he used to say, “The devil made me do it”.

Tina, welcome. You have come to a great place for support and information. Have you used MFP before? I think it is great. You don’t really need any goals other than 1)log all that you eat and drink 2)Stay within your calories 3)drink plenty of water and 4)Move (exercise) as much as possible. This thing works. Many of us find it most helpful to plan our meals in advance. That way, we know what we will eat and how many calories it has. You can do this so come often. Good luck.

Linda, have fun at the state fair.

Beth, you are so right. If this were a race I’d be a big loser and I am a Winner! Slow and steady.

Barbie, glad you got your other dumbbells. Have fun on Sunday but go easy.

Sleepy Head, uh, I mean Becca, good for you on the walk. Will be interesting to see if you sleep as long as usual tonight.

Cheri,
    thanks for the hug and same to you.

Michele, isn’t it too funny about the grocery stores when they mention the “S” word on the weather? I just want to know what those people do with all that milk and bread?

I'm happy to say that I felt much better today. I guess it just took me two days to recoup from my trip. I think I'd have been fine if I hadn't gotten up at 3:30 AM to get to the airport. Now that I'm a retired lady o leisure I don't normally get up until around 7:00. Tomorrow I'm taking my friend out to lunch. She's not used to being home much less pretty much confine to the couch for two weeks. I think she is going a little stir crazy. She said she can make it to the car and into a restaurant with her cane and my help. LOL

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.16min, 15.6amph, 2.9mi = 105c
    spin- 35min, 90ar, 146aw, 13g, 15.5mi = 234c (think machine needs 2b recalibrated)
    ride gym 2 wk - 54.01min, 12.6amph, 11.3mi = 476c
    ride dome 2 hm- 15.16min, 10.2amph, 2,5mi = 178c
    total cal 993
  • pipcd34
    Annr wrote: »
    Wholly bejesus!! So I have a nice walk today with my ladies. 4.3 miles! When I got home it settled in and I napped. From 11am to 3pm!!!!! My husband said one hour for every mile. What is up with that??? I had some great artisan whole wheat bread and an egg this morning. Took my vitamins, drank water afterwards. So when I got up a bit ago, (because my husband yelled that we had an elk out the side door), I had fixed myself a tomato sandwich with spinach, then stole a cookie from my husbands snack drawer..... Bad Becca. But it was a chocolate striped fudge cookie so I am not feeling any guilt.
    I know when I definately run out of energy.... I didn't feel bad walking or anything.
    Becca the sleeping lady....

good for you on that walk!!! bad girl eating his drawer!! ::: getting the boot on:::::: tell him i said to hide his snacks where YOU don't know!
  • pipcd34
    barbiecat - glad your weights showed up!!
  • pipcd34
    raymax4 wrote: »
    csofled wrote: »
    lk1fdis6ys02.jpg

Cheri NE Ohio
    back at you

to everyone here!!