True Confessions - Don't Judge

Options

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I thought I had a lunch schedule for today but I don't. Now I don't know what to do for lunch.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,497 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    I confess that I received an odd email on here last weekend.. that said" You are damn sexy"... normally I would be flattered... BUT I think this fella was confused... question to the ladies... how many here would respond to that kind of unsolicited note?
    I usually just ask them to marry me and tell them I want 3 kids, a dog, 2 cats and a ginger guinea pig. I never hear back :'(

2 cats?

That's really quite unreasonable
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,497 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I'm on board with not being thrilled with being called "handsome". It's different if it's used as an adjective, that's a little better. Handsome is usually the polite way to tell a man he's not hideous....."oh don't listen to them, you're handsome" kind of thing. Definitely the cookie cutter response that a man will feel not meant went into commenting on my looks. Kind of like "yeah, you're pretty" to a woman. No real thought, just a pat on the back. Not a horrible thing, but used so commonly that when I look around and see who's getting called handsome, I'm thinking ok, that's everybody, not really impressed.

It's when someone says to me "hey handsome" that my skin crawls. Might as well just say hey sport.....champ.... big guy......chief......any irrelevant name that someone may dole out that has a somewhat condescending reference to a positive meaning.

There is nothing wrong with being described as handsome, just like being said you are pretty to a woman is not bad either. But me personally, if I were to find a woman attractive, pretty is only used in describing a specific thing, pretty smile, type thing......not just the casual brush over compliment that is reserved for everyone.....;)

Yeah this is what I was getting at in a sense.

Handsome = Toyota Camry of compliments for men.

Gee thanks...I'm a shiny red Toyota Camry. I work out so I must be the one with leather interior at least. Right?.

It's a sensible car that gets good gas mileage and has great resale. Not everyone can be a Ferrari.

then I reckon I'm a '93 Dodge Neon with a missing front bumper, a cracked windshield and three flat tires...

Perfect. I'm a Subaru Brat with a garbage bag for one of the windows and flames spray painted on the sides. Vanity plate reads "WYTTRSH"

my wife wanted new, curb appeal landscaping for our home.

so I parked a Pontiac by the front patio

pvdicqcqwwto.gif

Mine has one of the headlamps permanently stuck in the open & up position.

.....it is somehow a metaphor
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    I honestly thought telling a man he was handsome was the highest of all compliments.

Evidently not. Who knew? *shrugs*

To the contrary...and my point...it's tossed around like a beach ball in the crowd at a baseball game. Yeah it's fun once or twice but after awhile its flat and covered with some drunk guys beer. Most of the crowd has had their hands on it once. Fun when it bounces to you...but cheap and meaningless.
    I confess:
    Well. Not meaningless to me. I have said your a handsome guy before, and I meant it. And also my mfp friend, with theee best kick@$$ food/activity log, many many times to my husband. And he agrees.
    My compliment was true, and although it's not on the same level you are reffering to & want, with the "sexy" or "hot" type of compliments, that's the highest level I stay with any guy, because I love my husband. He's the sexy hot guy in my life. Oh, theres a couple more... Billy Idol, Roman Reigns, on certain days I guess Rob Lowe. :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I confess that I received an odd email on here last weekend.. that said" You are damn sexy"... normally I would be flattered... BUT I think this fella was confused... question to the ladies... how many here would respond to that kind of unsolicited note?

Subterfuge.

• BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    yogih wrote: »
    I confess to being surprised at people being hit on, on this site and the tone of some of the comments... i am not surprised... come on everyone, this is a weight loss site... get on it... and talk diet, food and fitness

i'm still trying to figure out if you're surprised, or if you're not surprised.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    yogih wrote: »
    I confess to being surprised at people being hit on, on this site and the tone of some of the comments... i am not surprised... come on everyone, this is a weight loss site... get on it... and talk diet, food and fitness

i'm still trying to figure out if you're surprised, or if you're not surprised.

Dang...I didn't even catch that the first go around. I just rolled my eyes and moved on :p
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options

Always reply to weird people. They're just evolution trying something different.

next time reply with this gif

t8rFGTP.gif
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I confess I didn't read all the comments about liking and disliking certain compliments or meanings behind them or how to react to them... mostly because I can't relate. But also because there were so many.
  • _dixiana_
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I confess I like to think of myself as someone who sees black and white, and is firm in their opinions... but oftentimes when I hear other perspectives it turns all gray. Sometimes I don't know what to think about things. And that bothers me. What does that say about me?

Also...unrelated, but I don't really live in a trailer park if anyone saw my post in the selfie thread. I recently finished the S-Town podcast and so I'm just leaning into the typical Southern redneck stereotype, especially when combined with the camo and bullet jewelry I wear. Just me being silly on the internet.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    _dixiana_ wrote: »
    I confess I like to think of myself as a someone who sees black and white, but when I hear other perspectives it turns all gray. Sometimes I don't know what to think about things. And that bothers me. What does that say about me?

Also...unrelated, but I don't really live in a trailer park if anyone saw my post in the selfie thread. I recently finished the S-Town podcast and so I'm just leaning into the typical Southern redneck stereotype, especially when combined with the camo and bullet jewelry I wear. Just me being silly on the internet.

I think that just means you're open-minded.

And I love the South for all the camo I get to see. It's like "Are they hunting right now, here in this store?"
  • _dixiana_
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »
    I confess I like to think of myself as a someone who sees black and white, but when I hear other perspectives it turns all gray. Sometimes I don't know what to think about things. And that bothers me. What does that say about me?

And I love the South for all the camo I get to see. It's like "Are they hunting right now, here in this store?"
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »

Actually, that says you're intelligent and that you can step outside the box to view things.

If I think about it too much...which I tend to do...I start to worry it means I'm wishy washy flake who doesn't have a firm thought on the subject.
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I confess I sometimes wonder if by responding to people on a thread called "true confessions don't judge" I am kinda judging, just by posting a reply and giving my opinion about their confession.

This confuses me a bit, lol. I am now looking up the word judge and I can't decide. I think it may be a bit judgey, even tho I don't mean any harm.

There is a difference between discerning and judging. Do you look down on a person for what they say/ do? That is being judgemental. Or thinking yourself better than another is judgemental.

I don't see you as judgemental. You've portrayed yourself as a young lady who can have her own thoughts, make her own choices, and while knowing and not wanting to make the same mistake as others, no, I do not see you as judgmental at all.
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I confess I despise being called "handsome".
    Like nails up and down a chalk board. I have always considered it a "you're cute" comment. Like "hey you're a 5.5-6.5-ish but there are better options out there."

To further compound my spite for this label the first time I let a woman call me this openly she broke my heart into a million pieces.

So now every time someone calls me that it reminds me of her and reopens a wound.

The end.

Oh, sad sad. Telling someone they look handsome is one of my favorite compliments to give men (whom I have the right rapport with). I don't think it's on the same level as "cute". Cute is for boys, handsome is for men.

Hearing handsome = "You're good looking for a not hot guy."

Ducky was handsome.

Oh no! I use handsome to describe good looking guys I'd date...hope no one took it as "not hot"

Yes, exactly.

And to add to my original comment....As a woman, I'd rather be called beautiful than hot. Because beautiful encompasses more than just physical attractiveness, it also encompasses character. The male equivalent to beautiful, in my eyes, is handsome.

Someone who is good looking but an *kitten*, is not handsome.

THIS!!
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options

Actually, that says you're intelligent and that you can step outside the box to view things.

If I think about it too much...which I tend to do...I start to worry it means I'm wishy washy flake who doesn't have a firm thought on the subject.

There is no problem with changing your opinion. nothing worse than a stubborn fool.

You find this kind of problem with young folks. I always say apply your values & principles to whatever decision or opinion. Consider all options then choose the one you agree with according to your values as a person.
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options

Meh. Like you, I can be a "fence sitter" or "devils advocate"... I prefer to think of it as not choosing to be a sheep.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I confess I like to think of myself as someone who sees black and white, and is firm in their opinions... but oftentimes when I hear other perspectives it turns all gray. Sometimes I don't know what to think about things. And that bothers me. What does that say about me?

I try to see things in different shades of foliage green. :)
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

they're novice hunters if you can see them. when hunting at the store, they should be wearing the shelving camo instead of green brown camo.